Macragge1

Banned
Regicide

'Well I'd rather see you dead, little girl,
Than to be with another man,
You better keep your head little girl,
Or I won't know where I am.'
- Popular Song.

February the seventeenth and the clock is moving closer to twelve. Emergency Powers and now the Police can do whatever they want. The call came last night and they set off at six sharp this morning. Under silent sirens they glide down empty grey motorways. There are two cars - four men going north, four south. Both are silent save for the hum of the heater and the hourly radio news this is the BBC News at nine o'clock concerns are growing today turn that off lad will you been the same for bluddy weeks.

Four north, four south. From Manchester.

Noone on the roads save for long green convoys that loom out of the mist and then back into it. Just before Leeds the first car passes a mile of tanks on the hard shoulder and bluddy hell they're serious aren't they. The driver of our southern car hears the sound of reconnaissance bombers and for a moment he goes back twenty years and shivers really badly like and they pull over for five minutes and the thermoses open but tempus fugit so they get back on the road south.

*​

Both cars are bang on time as they pull off the motorway and into the flat embrace of the city. It's only lunchtime but it doesn't feel like a Friday really does it? No it's proper quiet - too quiet if you ask me.

It is ten to twelve. A supersensitive ear might have heard, above all the noise of the wailing world, the steady grind of the plan accelerating into action. At HMPs Durham and Holloway, keys are ground into big locks and turned open. In the south, black boots echo on linoleum as they drag a third pair of feet limply resisting. In the north, the figure stands and walks - almost goosesteps - out of his cell.

And they to the appointed place.

At five to our cars pull into the gates of their allotted prisons.

At Holloway, they are met with no fanfare and walked through by the governor to the prison courtyard. Tied to a flagpole, they see a middle-aged woman, her brown hair jarring with the memories of our weary travellers.

'I wanted a priest.'

With these words our four detectives draw their weapons and empty them, the revolver's echoes barking off the courtyards four walls long after the smoke has cleared.

Myra Hindley, born July the 23rd 1942, died February the 17th 1984, aged forty-two years and seven months.

*​

In Durham, King Ian does not know that his consort Hess has died three minutes before him. As willing volunteers tie his hands behind his back, he knows that their bullets will not change anything. He breathes and moves, as she did, but they have been dead since 9.2am on the morning of October the 7th 1965. As the visitors make their way out into the exercise yard, King Ian notices that they are still walking off the numbness of a long car journey. He recognises them, after all these years. He knows that they recognise him. He smiles at the figure in front, a man with lines burnt onto his face by the whistling Saddleworth wind. In that Scottish burr;

'You look aulder, Detective Inspectorrr'

Over high cheekbones King Ian stares at the enemy agents and grins. He will die a hero and his two secrets will remain forever secret. Message from Headquarters great job and they'll all get what they deserve. His grin turns into a smile, and then a laugh.

Ian Duncan Brady, born January the 2nd 1938, died February the 17th 1984, aged forty-six years and one month.

And poor Edward, Lesley Ann, Keith, John and Pauline will soon have all the playmates they could ever want.

I'm torn between being stunned and thinking, finally, the Moors Murderers got what was coming to them.

May they occupy the lowest rings in Hell.

What inspired this, Macragge1?

Good chapter.
I once met a prison officer who worked in the prison where Hindley was held. He described her as a deeply unpleasant and manipulative woman.

John Farson

Banned
I presume that certain other prisoners will have the same fate as well.

/me puts Suffer Little Children on the iPod.

No doubt. Like the warden of Sing-Sing said in Punisher: The End: "But we can't have murderers and dope-dealers running loose in an atomic wasteland. That would be just plain untidy." I'm sure similar actions took place in the US and elsewhere.

Although I wonder why you need four guys each to off the Moors Murderers. You would think a bullet in the head would suffice.

There is (still) a tradition of a firing squad for certain offences in this country. Of course they are either unused for a long time (Cowardice-see WW1) or High Treason. Nobody has committed such acts (that we know of, and would be highly unlikely to find out about) so there is no need.

In such a crisis as this, an Emergency Powers Act would certainly clear the deck by allowing for decisions in absentia by special courts to condemn individuals to death for the Good of the Public. Of course at the behest of the P.M. the Home Secretary could just wave his magic wand over prepared sheets of paper and quite a lot of people disappear very quickly.

There is (still) a tradition of a firing squad for certain offences in this country. Of course they are either unused for a long time (Cowardice-see WW1) or High Treason. Nobody has committed such acts (that we know of, and would be highly unlikely to find out about) so there is no need.

Small bit of trivia, but only around 18 men were executed for that particular offence in WW1. It's very difficult to prove.

I can't help but think that in some ways the 'cleanest' way of getting rid of people like the Moors Murderers would be to transfer them to a prison closer to a potential GZ. Any HMP within Greater London, for example, or Winson Green in Birmingham :)p).

On a somewhat unusual topic would surviving authorities come up with new official execution places or would they execute in whatever place they found suitable.In Britain we can pretty much assume that the death penalty is back in force although exactly what offences would be punished depends.In the 80's they still had an execution chamber in Wandsworth prison since existing laws made execution possible for several military offences alongside treason.With nukes wipping out London and obviously Wandsworth itself an official execution chamber doesn't exist.So would they build new gallows in another place or any person sentenced to death would be simply shot at the place of sentence?Of course the question is what offences would carry a death sentence now.Alongside the ones which still carried a death sentence in theory in 1984 treason,piracy with violence and several military offences we can assume that several other crimes now carry a death sentence.As for the rest of the continent probably whatever justice exists is only at a local level.Anything east of Paris is largely wiped out so justice would be meted out by local officials acting on ad-hoc rules.Which might lead to some weird aberations.Like officials in one region being excessively cruel while others pretty lenient in some regions pretty much any crime being punished by death while others few if any.This might be inevitable since organised national governments are pretty much gone in most countries the fact that ministers survived doesn't count if they have no resources to back them up.In such a situation surviving local officials would be judge jury and depending on how harsh an attitude executioner.

Any wall with reinforced concrete or a purpose built firing range for shooting, and any lampost for hanging would do. I reckon the death penalty will be applied in martial law for treason, sedition, subversion, espionage, terrorism, murder, rape, rioting, looting, any theft, and last but not least mutiny.

Was that an update or a sneak-preview?:) I wonder if Nelson Mandela and other apartheid prisoners in South Africa or anyone convicted in Blighty for Official Secrets offences be topped off in similar manners before the multiple sunshine event?

While EU countries have pretty much abolished capital punishment for all crimes its uncertain if in a real crisis on the level of World War II reintroduction would not be taken into account.There is a strong anti-capital punishment lobby here but there is also the fact that crime rates and the general risk of war are low.Occassional terrorist attacks while brutal don't change the overall picture.If and when the security situation degrades to levels unseen since 1945 the probability that someone might decide to bring back the gallows would increase.
EU leaders are against executions at least in public whatever they might think in private is unknown but I doubt they would be willing to maintain the ban if they thought reintroduction might stave off a desperate situation.For now the EU has really low rates of crime overrall and little to no risk of a general war so discussions about what if are hardly worth making.

Macragge1

Banned
Thankfully, Not Living in Yorkshire It Doesn't Apply

There’s no more antidepressants. This sucks for everyone else, because now more than ever there’s a thing to be depressed about. Not that the stuff I was taking before was much good, anyways. The zimelidine really fixed me up, but then they took it off the market a couple years back. I talked to the guy who used to sell me dexies for parties and stuff. He claimed he could lay his hands on some Zelmid for me, but his price was way too steep for a student. I didn’t bother with it.

Things being what they are, I kinda wish I had hoarded some dexies, or something. Maybe food. Weird thing is, man, I’m not depressed in the least. I feel like I should be sliding into a depression, but ever since shit got crazy I’ve just been going and going. I’ve never been this energetic in my life, despite the low rations. I can think faster and go longer, like I’ve been popping dexies since the bombs fell. It’s fantastic, man. Like I’ve been unchained. I’m thinking those antidepressants and shit I was taking earlier just held me back. Don’t need ‘em, cause now I’m the one man in England who’s thinking straight. If Duffy hadn’t burned to death, he’d call it ironic.

Duffy was big on irony. He’d comment on how we studied ruins back at Durham, and now there’s more ruins than we could ever study in one lifetime. A few steps up from Hadrian’s Wall, man. Wonder how things are back home in Wichita. Hate to say it, but I think the place just got bombed flat. We had Beechcraft and Derby Oil and Cessna, all stuff Uncle Sam was gonna want afterwards. I might have been focused on the past, man, but I know which way the wind blows. War like that was final. You gotta kick ‘em so hard they don’t get back up, so that means Wichita went. Pity. I was keeping some of my stuff there. Oh, well, not like I’m ever coming back.

Sorry, man, sorry. I keep babbling. Like I said earlier, I think fast these days, a lot faster than I speak. Anyways, when things started going bad, Duffy was all like “we have to save the knowledge, blargh” so we went to the university library. Nobody seemed to care that we took a bunch of the medieval texts and some textbooks and stuff and just left with them. If we had tried that afterwards, we probably would’ve been shot for looting. Is it looting when you’re trying to protect the stuff? I remember reading about the San Francisco Fire, some of the people shot for looting were actually trying to get tools to help fight the fire. That’s people, man, that’s people. Dumb, panicky cattle, confusing selflessness for selfishness. I’m above that now, man. I’ve never been able to think or act like this.

Sorry, doing it again. Anyways, Duffy said he knew a place out in the country that’d be okay. I told him, why not stay in Durham, not big enough to bomb. But he insisted we go out to this farmhouse and try and ride things out. Cause, y’know, it’s completely possible to ride out the end of the world, baby. He was kinda stupid. Not that I think that about all the Irish, mind. Nice folks. Shame what that officer tried to pull a couple weeks back. Like I said, man, cattle. Just fucking cattle all the way.

Duffy was right, though. We could actually see the flash from what Duffy told me was Newcastle, a sort of glow on the horizon. Thought maybe I could see York as well, but that might have just been my imagination. But the farmhouse was more or less untouched. Caught the very end of the pressure wave from Newcastle, but no serious damage to us, or the house. We got lucky, man, we got real lucky.

For a given value of lucky, I guess. Duffy had been so worried about the books. Cause I was taking my pills like a good little boy I didn’t argue with him and went along with it. I should’ve argued with him about it, or Duffy might be alive right now. Dumb. We didn’t bother to bring any food, or a radio, or anything. Not even some dexies, which might’ve been handy. All we had was a few odds and ends in the pantry, and a big stack of firewood. At least we were able to keep warm. Still, it was stupid of us, man. After a couple days, I would’ve traded all that accumulated knowledge for a burger and fries. Yeah, man, I said fries, not chips. Deal with it. I’m the one thinking man in England, I’ll speak however I want.

Duffy had to go and make it even worse. Refugees started showing up after a couple days, people fleeing York and Newcastle, somehow ended up here in bumfuck nowhere, miles off any main road. They had babies, even, something about no food for them. Sure, they were able to tell us what was going on out in the world, but we were already eating candles and trying to trap mice. We even tried to eat our belts. Here’s a tip, man, you can’t digest leather. Anyways, refugees. Duffy, the dumb fuck, let them stay with us. I went along with it, cause I was still taking my meds. Like prescriptions matter when civilization ceases to fucking be.

I ran out of meds two days after I passed my last solid crap. It took me a while, the stuff getting out of my system, but then I saw that we were just going to get ourselves killed that way. I told Duffy if we wanted to be found, if we wanted to meet up with any kind of organized group of survivors, we had to make for the cities. Apparently Newcastle actually had its shit together.

Duffy refused. Said we had to stay here, protect the books from the library. I told him there was no point in protecting the treasures of a civilization that didn’t exist anymore, that the world would just have to start clean. He got mad, hit me. With a hunk of firewood, I might add. My head was pounding for days.

Now that I could think clearly and quickly, I recognized that Duffy was a lost case. Letting people in, insisting on saving moldy old books- that’s kind of dumb bullshit that worries me. Cattle. No one ever does what they should in emergencies. You British are especially bad about that. You fight at soccer games, trample each other in tube stations. You don’t think for yourselves, man. No coincidence that the only thinking man in England is an American, is it? It’s every man for himself now.

I figured I’d just leave in the middle of the night while everyone was asleep. I get by on maybe three hours a night these days, but these layabouts would sleep ten, still drag themselves around during the day, no strength. But what kind of point would just disappearing make? None.

So, we had a bit of kerosene left. Enough to pour over the books and Duffy. Idiot didn’t even wake up, not until I threw the match. Singed my face pretty badly, but I think Duffy would’ve appreciated the irony. I dunno, man, maybe he did. Maybe that’s why he didn’t scream that much.

Irregardless, I didn’t stick around much longer. It would take a while to reach Newcastle on foot. No point in wasting time. I knew they’d need my help, knew I’d be able to save everyone. After all, I was saner than ever.

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
After all, I was saner than ever.

Nice Guest Spot, Vulture. :cool:

I must say, as an avid reader of both Protect & Survive and The Revolution Will Be Live, I really enjoy these little 'Visits' you're both making to each others TLs.

Great job guys. More please! (If you can manage it :eek:)

Falkenburg

Afraid it's The Vulture who deserves the praise for this latest offering :eek:
I was posting about the previous update, before seeing there was a new one.:eek:

After reading the last update: it's a very good post by Vulture:) and illustrates well how much WW3 can disrupt the minds of those who need medication for treatments of mental ailments.:(

Been reading this from the beginning for the last few days.

An amazing timeline and gripping well researched piece of writing, I am impressed and totally hooked