Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America

Somehow reconstruction sounds a bit too optimistic,more like reducing death rates to maneageable levels.With the country in ruins and many survivors with serious injuries or debilitated by radiation to imagine that in 10 years its going to look like before is a bit far fetched.In Europe reconstruction after WWII was aided by the US at least in the west add to that the fact that most people survived the war.Death rates exceeded 10% in only a few countries like Poland.The west itself never exceeded 4% not only did they have the money but also the people to rebuild.Here the lucky ones have lost or will lose 25% of the population for example Oregon,the not so lucky ones like Illinois over 80%.You can't rebuild New York like it was if you don't have more than a handfull of residents left.For me this is not like post Civil War reconstruction in the South but more like reaching a standard of living that allows your population to increase again.

Somehow reconstruction sounds a bit too optimistic,more like reducing death rates to maneageable levels.With the country in ruins and many survivors with serious injuries or debilitated by radiation to imagine that in 10 years its going to look like before is a bit far fetched.In Europe reconstruction after WWII was aided by the US at least in the west add to that the fact that most people survived the war.Death rates exceeded 10% in only a few countries like Poland.The west itself never exceeded 4% not only did they have the money but also the people to rebuild.Here the lucky ones have lost or will lose 25% of the population for example Oregon,the not so lucky ones like Illinois over 80%.You can't rebuild New York like it was if you don't have more than a handfull of residents left.For me this is not like post Civil War reconstruction in the South but more like reaching a standard of living that allows your population to increase again.

As I said to Chip above, this recovery will be more then "just" getting back on our feet after a tornado, severe storm, flood or even earthquake. No, this recovery will be like recovering from all those natural disasters plus the 1960s riots, depression-era dustbowls, and the post Civil War reconstruction and then more, all wrapped into one. :( This is more than a devestating catastrophe, it's a human cataclysm.

Off topic, Chip, the 1996 Fiesta Bowl (where Nebraska curbstomped Florida), is entertaining for the Nebraska commentator's commentary, which sometimes sounds like Dan Rather if he were a sports commentator.

Waiting for the next update, and happy New Year!!!

TheKinkster

Banned
As I said to Chip above, this recovery will be more then "just" getting back on our feet after a tornado, severe storm, flood or even earthquake. No, this recovery will be like recovering from all those natural disasters plus the 1960s riots, depression-era dustbowls, and the post Civil War reconstruction and then more, all wrapped into one. :( This is more than a devestating catastrophe, it's a human cataclysm.

Take all that, add what you said, and then multiply it by about 50.

Reconstruction would mean a very different thing here exactly due to the death-tolls. It can only be compared to the level of "reconstruction" occuring in Western Europe centuries after the Great Migration- but in fast forward mode. Most places, even halfway surviving ones, would have to adjust to smaller scales of population and economy, while at the same time their relative importance rises.

The main thing is to get the multitude of infrastructures, all the logistics of 20th century life, adjusted and running again.
Once again - on a smaller scale. Not just would whole well-known cities just disappear, and only a few of them might reappear decades later, but e.g. interstates and rail-links which lost importance will not be repaired or kept intact. Considering its new population density, the whole of the USA will appear rather Midwesternish once new maps come out.

Death rates would be higher for a long time to come. It would quiet down after a few years, but people would have to face the fact that developing cancer is the most probable cause of death sooner or later, reducing life expectancy by some years.

So age structures, family structures, would shift to different patterns. They must. There are so many widows, widowers and orphans.

We must fix this hole in the roof while the sun is shining.

I would say that this situation is not exactly “while the sun is shining”. He certainly uses odd metaphors.

1. Disposal of corpses.

In places were unused mines large enough to grant access to trucks, quarries or suitable ravines exist, this might be an easy way to create mass graves? My inspiration here is the massacre of Babi Yar in 1941 where 33,000 victims got buried where they were shot just by letting the ravine’s wall collapse upon them.

For better or worse the soviets are rarely mentioned,or maybe some smaller comunist country like Poland.I wonder how Lech Walesa felt knowing the nukes that where about to fall on his country where largely american in origin the country he looked to for support.Of course most likely he was arrested shortly before the war by the poles to avoid any agitation on his part.I doubt though they would execute him at least not right away since that might trigger the very unrest they would be trying to avoid.

His fate depends IMHO opinion very much on where he is held prisoner. If he is in a targeted place, it doesn’t matter anyways, if he is in Polish hands and not nuked, would probably not be shot if the theory is true that the internal miltary coup of 1980 was primarily undertaken in order to pre-empt a Soviet intervention.

We Nebraska farmers will not fail our people, Governor.

Concerning feeding Nebraska. It would be interesting if someone could calculate which fraction of Nebraska’s pre-war agricultural soil would be sufficient to feed the surviving Nebraskans with a sufficient diet.

Nebraska will never get the chance to defend their national championship.

Yeah! So they will be champions for ever...

Happy New Year

With 2012 just a few hours away...
A sneak preview of the road ahead

NCEG HERBIE GI FLU.png

NCEG HERBIE GI FLU.png

Land Of Flatwater: NCEG Propaganda (con't)

Tom Osborne, Education and Youth Director. Hastings, Nebraska Emergency Town Committee.

NCEG Poster Osborne.jpg

NCEG Poster Osborne.jpg

Heh. I made these for Gen Patton's Duck and Cover, but seeing as this is in the same timeline, you might like this. It is for the unfortunately named Cleveland Community Cooperation Pact. The colour choice is completely intentional.

Xa3SN.jpg
yrTZP.jpg

It isn't the best, but hopefully you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:
I wonder if someone in such a timeline wouldn't notice the similarity between this and an enemy that just bombed them.Its basically like Israel choosing a swastika as a symbol in 1948.

TheKinkster

Banned
Yep, what he just said. It's funny, in the context of the timeline, but would never happen in real life. Someone would have enough common sense to realize how it looked.

It could be explained that they are desperate and don't care what it looks like. Cleveland doesn't have the time or resources to devote to something like a peer review.

Even so with rumours spreading quickly a poster like this reaching some isolated community might cause panic.The average Joe seeing this would assume the Reds have taken over or are trying to take over.Following a breakdown of communications rumours about enemy forces trying to invade would be everywhere something like this would be seen as ample evidence.You don't need a firefight with locals who assume you are the enemy or a traitor.Plus even persons knowing the truth would think its offensive to have something like this.Everyone has lost someone due to the war.

Also, the posters look like they're from the 50s/60s, not the 80s. The CCCP posters in TTL would look nothing like those ones. They are striking none the less.

They're not canon, I don't think, it was more something I did to pass the time. The posters do look like they are from the 1950s though. I'm not sure what 80s propaganda would look like.

Happy New Year, Chip!!!

Hope you win the Turtledove (although That Wacky Redhead wouldn't be so bad).

Go Big Red in the Capitol One Bowl!

Chip, in Kerrey's speech post, I just noticed...DeCamp and Chambers agreeing on something (especially given DeCamp's...interesting opinions (1))?

That's another sign of Armageddon!!!

(1) I'm sure you heard of the book The Franklin Cover-Up, where he states that various wealthy people (including Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, among others) were involved in orgies with children and had multiple people killed to cover it up (no, it wasn't fiction. At least, it wasn't supposed to be).

Turner Gill is lucky he wasn't in Fort Worth. Being near an air force base and Dallas, it would surely get destroyed.

Waiting for the next update.

Last edited: