Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

My first idea...

Gian Galeazzo Visconti emerges from his fever a more conciliatory man. He talks of being visited by St Maurice who urged him to conquer using peace rather than war.
Adopting a flag of a white St Maurice Cross on Lombard green he becomes more willing to negotiate and over the next 12 years of his life plays the Popes and the Emperor off each other, finally obtaining the title of King of Italy shortly before his death.
His son Gian II Maria Visconti went on to obtain an Electorship and pioneered the first Reformation of the Western Church.

Below shows the State Flag of the Kingdom of Italy complete with gold scrollwork based upon the Iron Crown of Lombardy and gold trim.
The usual Civil Flag just shows the white bottony Cross of St Maurice between 4 white spheres.

[cleaned up enough?]

Italy.png

Last edited:
Regno d'Italia - Casa di Visconti-Savoia (1407 - 1821)

Kingdom of Italy - House of Visconti-Savoy (1407-1821)

"The Kingdom of Italy originally formed as a group of quasi-independent states under Gian Galeazzo Visconti (Gian I) of Milan who, through a series of military victories and political marriages (aided by the Holy Roman Empire), gained control of much of northern italy in the late 14th centuary, but never achieving to directly rule them from Milan, and so many remained as vassal states and duchies.
After the death of Amadeus VII, and bypassing the rules os sucession ( his heir, Amadeus having died in capitivity as part of the countys alliance with Milan), his son Gian Maria became ruler of Savoy (having being married to the late counts eldest daughter, Bonne of Savoy), styling himself (with his fathers persmission) as Visconti-Savoy (taking thebiscone eating a child as his c.o.a, in order to distinguish the junoir and senoir lines of the visconti (his father restoring the cockeral)). His death 2 years later left his son as heir to both thrones, and with the death of Gian I Visconti in 1412, he succedded to the throne as Gian Maria I Visconti-Savoy, joining the remenants of Savoy (after a French invasion during his fathers reign) into Milan and dissolving the vassal states into a single united lomard nation, a nation that would one day dominate the italian peninusla and would rule the Holy Roman Empire during its last couple of centuries, before being dissolved after their defeat by the Triple Alliance (France, Russia and Spain) in the European Wars"

Flag of King Filippo Amadeus III of Visconti-Savoy (1645-1691), Holy Roman Emperor.

( Dynastic orders of knighthood (from left to right): Order of the Dragon, Order of St. Lazarus, Order of the Most Holy Annunciation and Order of the Langobardī )

koiem3.png

Last edited:
Ghibelline Lombard Kingdom of Italy

Gian Galeazzo Visconti, after establishing a stable Lombard Kingdom of Italy hires a few designers to design a beautiful flag for the new Kingdom. The designers come up with a flag that combined most of the former Italian duchies' flags and had, as Viscotti said, "good meaning".

G.L.K.I.png