Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America

* Why is Chip's hair falling out - is it stress, or radiation?

* Have you seen the FEMA map online that showed the likely doses of radiation and fallout across the 48 states in case of a nuclear attack? If that is a reliable guide, how does that affect crop planting for 1984 and beyond?

* What were the effects of electromagnetic pulse on the state (and country), if any?

* What does Nebraska know about the rest of the country?

* How long before Lincoln can be resettled, at least as the proper seat of government for the entire state?

Looking at the map the central portion of Nebraska should be ok relatively speaking.Illinois,Indiana,Missouri,Kentucky,Minnesota,West Virginia,Michigan, Connecticut,Rhode Island,Maryland,New Jersey,Massachusetts are pretty much gone with Pennsylvania New York and Virginia badly affected.So something of Nebraska should still be around.

* What were the effects of electromagnetic pulse on the state (and country), if any?
Ahh... this, again. First, I guess we need a reminder we're talking real EMPs not the Hollywood partial-dies-the-fire-in-a-can-from-every-single-nuclear-weapon. A useful EMP requires a high altitude airburst...

To repeat a post of mine in a ye-olde ASB thread:
It's not that simple: Here and here give a good overview of the subject.

Basically speaking, the EMP from a high altitude nuke detonation can be divided into three components, two of which have the capacity to cause damage: a high amplitude very brief component (the bit that can potentially damage electronics) as a result of gamma rays emitted from the blast initiating a cascade of electrons and a longer but lower intensity component derived from the Earth's magnetic field 'snapping' back into place after being distorted by the ionisation of the atmosphere caused by the nuke (this has the potential to mix up largescale electricity networks)....
Yes, if the sovs fire one off it will damage some civilian electronics (but even basic and unintentional protection such as being turned off; being inside effective Farraday cages -such as car bodies- or having inbuilt surge protection) and bugger up electrical transmission networks.

Damage to electrical transmission networks could be a serious issue if it was just an EMP, but with cities getting vapourised the networks will get fucked up anyway...

You have questions. I have answers.

* Why is Chip's hair falling out - is it stress, or radiation?
Stress, which is worse than the radiation, especially for a 12-year-old boy. Remember, all the kids in this shelter are "lucky" be alive. But look at the world they are alive in. They've lost a lot. Every kid in the world has lost a lot.
Chip hasn't had a real peaceful sleep in more than a month. His Journal entry is really a healthy release in a sense.
Also consider the conditions. Rick and Ed have prepared to a level greater than maybe 99% of the population, but still everything must be tightly rationed, controlled and secured.
Also consider -- SECURITY -- Rick doesn't have those gun because he wasn't nurtured as a child. He has them because he doesn't want people to overrun his home.

* Have you seen the FEMA map online that showed the likely doses of radiation and fallout across the 48 states in case of a nuclear attack? If that is a reliable guide, how does that affect crop planting for 1984 and beyond?
I used a good deal of that as a template, but I also added some randomness, because nothing ever goes as you see it in the textbook.

EMP definitely wasn't like to was in the movies. Cars still run. Planes are still flying. Theoretically, you can have limited television broadcasts, and a couple of control points have the phones working.

The bigger problem with technology won't be so much EMP but physical damage.
Consider the Battle of North Platte, for example. You'd need a very high altitude burst requiring greater planning and more fuel OR you just fly in, drop your bomb, destroy the hydroelectric plant and have a much cheap mission kill.

Destroying source points physically is a greater value than the theoretical physics of electromagnetic pulse. You can have planes, but what good are they if you can't fuel them or fix them? The same with cars.

* What does Nebraska know about the rest of the country?
The same that the rest of the country knows about Nebraska, not much. The people who know the most about the state of the country in Nebraska are the radio operations people for the National Guard, and the amateur radio operators in the state.. They would know the most. Beechcraft Bob has been able to talk to people in England, France and as far north as.....FINLAND.

* How long before Lincoln can be resettled, at least as the proper seat of government for the entire state?
Glad you asked....Let's find out.

Land Of Flatwater: The First Step Forward

BASE ALPHA -- Geneva, Nebraska -- The Office of the Governor -- 8:45am Central Standard Time. Thursday March 1, 1984

Governor Kerrey was studying his speech as National Guard communications officers strung the radio wire into his office. In 25 minutes, he would address the state. It was the first time that anybody outside of the control points had heard from him since the morning of February 21. His last address was more of a fireside chat. Letting people know what was going on and why.

Today would have to be different. Today would be as much as rallying speech as it would be information. In 10 days, nearly a half-million dead, hundreds of thousands more displaced. Many confused, tired, sick and scared.

The Governor understood the feeling. Even surrounded by aides, troops, experts, and a loving girlfriend, he felt alone.

He looked in the corner of the office. He saw her. There was Debra, in jeans and sweater. Even after a nuclear war, the actress could still put on a sexy face. The Governor smiled. He has a little piece of happiness in the world..

The technicians and guardsmen scurried around the office to get things ready. They were running on pure adrenalin now. You could hear the low rumbling of stomachs, even among those getting more rations than the average citizen.

The Governor shuffled the pages of his speech. "So many topics," he thought. "So much to do in a short amount of time. Planting. Medical needs. Reconstruction. The radio contacts. Elections. The chances of another war? We are either going to make people happy or cause a panic."

BASE ECHO -- Beatrice, Nebraska -- Radio Nebraska studio -- 8:50am Central Standard Time.

The Producer knew that look. The studio crew knew that look. The look that accompanies the urgent click-clack of a pair of stylish black heels. Carol Schrader was striding up the hall and into the main studio. She was in a snazzy red dress. Hair done perfectly. Wearing a tasteful shade of makeup. On this day, Carol was the Carol you saw on your TV screen. Today, the real Carol Schrader was in the building and she was locked in.

It was start the first day of a new network. The State's network. She was determined to make it start off the right way.

to be continued.

Last edited:

John Farson

Banned

Good points, all.

I think it'd be good to remember that this war is the biggest cataclysm to have struck mankind since the Black Death in the 14th century. Maybe even the biggest since the Toba supereruption 70,000 years ago.

Forget World War II, World War I, the Taiping War, the US Civil War, 9/11, Pearl Harbour, Hurricane Katrina and all the other wars and disasters. This is the ULTIMATE WAR, the ULTIMATE DISASTER. This is not an extinction event, but neither can we pretend that this is something that people and society can shrug off in a few years or so and go back to watching Dallas and Miami Vice (Actually, there never will be Miami Vice or a lot of other shows for that matter, probably not Dallas either, I'd give 50/50 chances that the actors are dead anyway).

I don't think most people will end up as the shell-shocked ruins of Threads, but neither will they just shrug it off. This will be felt down the generations.

EDIT: And I haven't yet dealt with the effects on the environment and biosphere. There can't be very good effects there, either. I foresee all kinds of endangered and near-endangered species going extinct as the result of desperate humans just trying to survive.

Last edited:
Land Of Flatwater: The First Step Forward (con't)

Schuyler High School/FEMA-NEMA Refugee Center -- Schuyler, Nebraska -- 8:59am Central Standard Time. Thursday March 1, 1984.

The refugees assembled in the cafeteria. Another morning after the missiles came.
Some huddled near the loudspeakers. It was almost time for Radio Nebraska. They usually broadcasted at 9am with the morning rad report. It had become routine.

Move them from the shelters into the cafeteria, feed them and send them back on to the shelters. Limit exposure as much as possible.

The loudspeaker crackled to life. The usual static, but their wasn't a voice on the other end..

Rick's Farm -- Schuyler, Nebraska -- same time

The morning exercises and self-defense drills had just ended. Chip was sore, but getting better, and have the usual MRE breakfast. The radio was on in the shelter...And he, too heard the first sounds of Radio Nebraska..

The first voice of Radio Nebraska was a shout of brass, winds and drums.

Dodge County Sheriffs Office/Emergency Operations -- Fremont, Nebraska -- same time

"Sheriff, are you hearing this?" the deputy turned to Sheriff and asked. "This is the main emergency channel, right?"

Sheriff was unsure as he heard the fanfare, "Yes it is..."

All across the state, people heard the sound. The trumpets, trumbones...The tubas, the drums. It was The Fanfare. Their Fanfare.

Hastings College -- Hastings, Nebraska -- same time

Suzanne Maddox already felt herself tearing up hearing the first notes.

She wasn't alone. One office over, Tom Osborne could feel a tear run down his cheek.

BASE FOXTROT/Nebraska Air National Guard Hangar -- McCool Junction, Nebraska -- same time.

Every head turned to toward the radio.

CDU Barracks -- Kearney, Nebraska -- same time.

CDU trooper Ricky Simmons turned the radio to the emergency network frequency, and heard the loud music, "This has to be some kind of joke," he said.

Two other CDU troops smiled, "If it is, its was a good one," they said.

Just down the hall, a lone figure just took it in. Every note.

Just down the hall, Turner Gill was smiling.

There is no place like Nebraska,
Dear old Nebraska U.
Where the girls are the fairest,
The boys are the squarest,
Of any old school that I knew.

Underneath Memorial Stadium/University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Underneath the stadium, a group of students sung along with all their hearts, led by a six-something man who loved his school and his adopted home state much as life itself.

Rick's Farm -- same time
Matched by a young boy who began the day feeling sorrow. And a father happy to see his boy smiling, even for a few minutes.

Where they're all true blue.
We'll all stick together,
In all kinds of weather,
For dear old Nebraska U

The emotion was everywhere. From officials in control points to people in their shelters and homes. It was their song. It was their anthem. It was a defiant shout to the world.

We are Nebraska. We are still here.

Even in the studio, technicians were in song. At the mic, Carol Schrader couldn't hide her feelings. She was in tears like everyone else.

In the control booth, Greg had tears streaming down his face. As a college student, he got to know this song well. He was in the University of Nebraska Marching Band.

Even at BASE ALPHA, Governor Kerrey was overcome with emotion.

Dear old Nebraska U.
Where the girls are the fairest,
The boys are the squarest,
Of any old school that I knew.
Where they're all true blue.
We'll all stick together,
In all kinds of weather,
For dear old Nebraska U.

GO BIG RED! GO BIG RED! GO BIG RED! GO BIG RED!

(Author's Note -- Would you like to hear this song? How Radio Nebraska restarted March 1, 1984 )

At the end of the recording. The red light was on. It was Carol's turn. The newswoman composed herself and began to be the voice of the state.

"Good Morning Nebraska. This is Carol Schrader, and on this day...March 1, 1984 the Radio Nebraska Network begins an expanded broadcasting schedule. We have been providing emergency broadcasting information since the attacks on our nation and our state on February 21, 1984. We have provided vital information. We are expanding this scope, to include news from the state and our government, and news from a federal government should they resurface. We also will provide some entertainment programming as well. In addition to our news staffers here, some of the best Omaha and Lincoln radio DJs and personalities have come here to Radio Nebraska to be a part of a special team."

Carol voice shifted from authoritative to calm. Almost motherly.

"It has been a difficult time for our state and our people. Like many of you, I have suffered loss and separation. We are all living in fear. But take heart, Nebraska! We are still here! We have a functioning state government, with auxiliary bodies in every local area of our state."

"This network is a part of that government, the Nebraska Continuous Emergency Government, under the leadership of Governor Bob Kerrey, who will address the state in just a few minutes."

"Before we begin, Gary Sadlemyer is in the studio with this morning's atmospheric report.."

"Thanks Carol. A very rousing way to start the broadcast day. .And a fitting one, given that today is Nebraska's 117th birthday. On March 1, 1867, the Cornhusker State was admitted into the Union as the nation's 37th state."

"The atmospheric report for the morning shows that in most areas the rads are dropping, meaning you can be out of the shelters for longer periods, but if you don't need to be outside...stay in areas providing protection from radioactive fallout.

to be continued.

Last edited:
As a proportion of the population to die assuming around 1,5 billion dead out of a global population of 4,5 billion in 1984 means around one third.The Black death killed at most 100 million from a global population of probably 400 so around 1 in 4.Of course these are all estimates.Its uncertain just how many died due to war related causes in the XIV century.For example the chinese population dropped by around one third in this period but alongside the plague you also had a generalised war in which certainly millions died.Still as a proportion this event would be the worst since prehistoric times.

Land Of Flatwater: The First Step Forward (con't)

"And now, an address from the Governor of the state of Nebraska, Bob Kerrey."

"Fellow Nebraskans.....It has been 10 days since the catastrophe that fell on our state and our world....It is difficult to find the words to describe the sadness, the horror, the fear that we all feel now."

"We've seen a lot of bad things in the last week or more. There has been so much death. So many tears. We've all lost family and friends. We've lost many things dear to us and close to our hearts. I'm sure many of us have lost some faith. I can relate to that. Over the last 10 days, the reports mount up. So many things wrong. So many dead. So many acts of violence..... I find myself sometimes losing faith."

"So much has been taken away. Omaha, our largest city, is in ruins with hundreds of thousands dead or dying. To our west, the beautiful lands of our pioneer forefathers is marked with the scars of hundreds of nuclear strikes. A few days ago, aerial reconnaissance of the impact areas was done by a group of pilots from the Air National Guard and Civil Air Patrol."

"they brought back a sad story. A story of destruction and death. The ugly marks of the war on our state."

"but, there is also hope. As I speak to you today, National Guard troops with FEMA and NEMA personnel are encamped in our capital city. Our proud capital, Lincoln, is still standing.

Nebraskans. WE ARE PROUD AND STILL STANDING! We are still here! We are still one people. We are still Nebraska, We are still here! Even with so much loss, and many tears And so many of us have turned our sadness into purpose, and turned our sorrow into fuel for our hopes."

Governor Kerrey was fighting his own tears now as he was finding his voice. He paused, gathered himself up, and then looked up to the technicians and aides in the office before him. He was talking to directly to each, as if all Nebraska was in that one place at that one time. He felt his voice strengthen. His thoughts clear. He had found the message he felt the people needed today.

"Heroes have come from the ashes. Brave men and women of our National Guard, our State Patrol. Police. Fire. EMTs. Individual citizens who braved the ruins to keep people safe. They began before the missiles came. They manned towns, help build shelters. Given to those in need, and more than a few paid a price in blood."

I'd like to point out some special people within this group. On the very day our state was mercilessly attacked by the Soviet Union, 37 national guard and state patrol troops died in an action to bring a terrorist group within our borders to justice.

Later that day, as the missiles came and hit our homes, two Soviet bombers crossed into Nebraska. They came looking to destroy more pieces of our state."

A group of four brave citizen-soldiers, our friends and neighbors, put themselves on the line for Nebraska.

Two of them, 2nd Lieutenant Doug Kroeker of Wood River and 2nd Lieutenant Ray Federspiel of Dannebrog, paid the ultimate price. They were killed trying to stop the Russians from destroying a power plant near North Platte.

As long as there is a Nebraska, we shall always remember their names. To their families, we give our prayers and condolences...and our endless gratitude. They are the best of our people. They are the best of Nebraska."

"The battle also had a victory that day. The other Soviet bomber attempted to destroy the Union Pacific rail yard outside of North Platte. They failed thanks to the bravery of Lieutenant Todd Trofholz of Schuyler.

Schuyler-Colfax County Hospital -- same time.

"Cyndi! Come here!...THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT TODD ON THE RADIO!"

Cyndi walks away from the room to hear the radio playing at the main desk.

"Lieutenant Trofholz attacked and shot down the bomber, in turn saving the rail yard and saving thousands of our fellow citizens. Lieutenant Trofholz, and his wingman Lieutenant Lance Smithey, risked all for something greater than themselves, and I look forward to seeing you both to offer my thanks in person."

Cyndi was smiling through tears of joy. Her husband was alive.

"I love you, Todd," she whispered.

The ER doctor hugged Cyndi, "He's okay," Cyndi whimpered. "He's alive."

The doctor smiled, "And he's a hero."

"Hundreds of dedicated people from our executive committee to the control points, to those administering to our towns and villages, are dong their part every minute of every day. One of those is a man well-loved and respected across Nebraska. He would prefer I leave him unmentioned. But I am so grateful for what he has given freely to his town and his state and the example of those he has nutured that I cannot let his service go unacknowledged."

Two months ago, our favorite sons, the football team of the University of Nebraska won a national championship in a furious rally where they had come from behind. Now those young people and their head coach, are rallying again. Head Coach Tom Osborne has been a steady guiding hand in the Emergency Committee of Hastings from the beginning. Most of the team that won the Orange Bowl are volunteering in communities throughout the Nebraska in the camps, medical centers and as members of the Civilian Defense Units across. I salute them all

St. Francis Medical Center -- Grand Island, Nebraska -- same time.

"There are the doctors and nurses taking care of the sick, comforting those left behind. You all have been heroes through great strain and personal sacrifice."

The rooms and hallways were filled with sick people. A flu bug was racing through the refugees camp at Grand Island High School. The attending physician was frazzled as he heard the Governor.

"What's going on at that camp?" The young doctor asked two imposing national guardsmen. "Are we not following the new regulations for sanitation there?""

"We're slowly trying to implement them, Doctor," the national guardsmen.

"SLOWLY ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH. You can't phase stuff like this in!"

The guardsmen was nonchalant, "I'm sure you have vaccine doc."

"I have enough for 15 people," The doctor retorted, "I HAVE 50 PEOPLE IN HERE! I don't have enough vaccines, not enough vitamins, not enough everything...because the 'Combined Forces' got the allocations we need."

The entire executive committee, My Lieutenant Governor Don McGinley, resources executive Kay Orr, Medical Executive Dr. Jennifer Suhr, Scientific Executive, Dr. Zenon Yarelian, Agriculture executive Steven Newell, Attorney General Paul Douglas, Chief of Staff Kim Robak, combined forces commander Bridgadier General Allan Griswold and communications executive Dr. Don Benning. They have all served our state in the difficult times with intelligence and honor. They are a major part of the incredible teamwork that is helping our state now.

Today, a number of changes will be officially instituted with our emergency plan. Beginning with a very important set of regulations. You will be hearing more of them in the days ahead, but we are instituting a set of regulations regarding the handling of recycling of human wastes. In short, Nebraskans, your crap is a key our common survival. It must be disposed of properly contained and sealed for pickup by agricultural CDU units, used as compost within your own home or farm or delivered to your county extension agency for redistribution. Also sanitation efforts will be strictly enforced, right down to washing your hands! There will be penalties for noncompliance within official areas, and camps. There will be penalties for noncompliances with the disposal regulations. If you need additional help or advice, your area's emergency, extension and medical teams will help you. The information on these new regulations have already been put in place at the government control points area and the information will be disseminated across the state this week. It seems silly, but it is needed set of protocols. In the last five days an influenza outbreak in the Grand Island area and a cholera outbreak in Lincoln have greatly hampered relief efforts and hundreds are sick."

"Our medical professionals statewide are shorthanded and stretched to the maximum. Anything we as citizens can do to help them we must do. I also ask for all those who have medical experience. Those who have been displaced who are doctor, nurses, specialists...if you have these skills, MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN AND PLEASE HELP! WE NEED YOUR SKILLS! WE NEED YOU!

Wagner Mills/FEMA-NEMA Camp -- Schuyler, Nebraska -- same time..

"Excuse me Doctor," the Frank LaMere said the FEMA medical officer, "The Governor asked for a pediatrician. I happen to know one. Dennis, come here.."

"I will not use my knowledge to help those people," Dennis said.

"Those people are OUR people now, son." Frank said. "They need both sides of your knowledge.."

Dennis was still sullen. He is Winnebago, and he is one of those who was attacked and beaten in the assault on their reservation a couple of weeks ago by associates of a certain organization armed by a Mr. Tyler Tyles.

The FEMA medical officer was rattled, "Please sir!" He pleaded , "This flu thing is hitting us hard. I'm not sure what to do.."

Dennis saw the kids and his heart sank. Partially because he thought of his own kids, stuck in this refugee with him. He loved children. It was his love of children that led him to become a medicine man for his tribe and to study pediatrics at UNMC.

"The first thing we need to do is get these kids warm and maybe get some real hot food in them. The radiation is hurting their immune systems. Young people are more vulnerable."

Dennis began to walk towards a huddled group of children. He was wearing a pair of sterile scrubs and always kept his bag with him. He was the doctor for the group of Winnebago who evacuated. His tribe has grown in number now.

"I'm Jim. Dr. Jim Groathouse...I'm with FEMA..

"Dr. Dennis Kimmineau," the man replied. "Lets see if we can make these kids feel better."

Dr. Suhr tells me we are in desperate need of more surgeons and pediatricians. Please let your local authorities know that you are there and you can help. They'll be more than happy to have your assistance, plus additional rations are being allocated for those who qualify in a number of essential disciplines in medicine, and specialized manufacturing. Be an active participant in your survival and our common survival."

"In terms of public safety. The varied units of our national guard, state patrol and local police have be reformed into the Nebraska Combined Forces, a unified command structure under the leadership of Bridagier General Allan Griswold, the Commander of the Nebraska National Guard. The main purpose of the reorganization is a more efficient coordination of our assets to keep our state safe."

Highway 91 near Spaulding, Nebraska -- same time

"The bulk of the next step in this coordination again depends on the citizenry at large. A number of small units of civilians have stepped forward to defend their areas, neighbors and friends. Our national guard and law enforcement are integrated these cadres in Civilian Defense Units. All able-bodied Nebraskans are eligible to be part of a CDU. Many of our neighbors and friends already have, and it is always a huge help in the effort to combat those who seek to interrupt vital recovery services."

Two men hiding in the brush and grasses off the highway peer through binoculars. clanking about in bulky NBC suits. They are looking at a camp a distance away. In the camp are beat up muscle cars and lot of firepower. In the camp are a road gang, the same road gang that murdered 19 people a week ago, and haven't stopped.

"These fuckers are bunch of damn burn outs," one of the men looking onto them said. "I don't want to see them anywhere near Albion."

The other man agreed. "They've been sneaking into town stealing and food and medicine. I wish we had troops here."

"Tell me about it," the first man said. "But pal, we are the troops. I wish my brother could fly up here. We have some air cover then."

"Your brother?"

"He's Air National Guard. 173rd squadron. Fighter pilot."

near Sutherland, Nebraska -- same time

"A group of men clad in Hazmat suits have came across the remains of a camp..Darkened sticks, refuse, two spent shell casings..and what looked to be pages from a manual of some type."

"Sutherland CDU to CAVALRY, we have a contact. Remants of a base..we also have something here. Written instructions, can't figure out the lettering. I could be some kind of code.

"That's not code, Sutherland," the voice at the other end of the radio said. "That's Cyrillic. The targets have been there."

"It is the hope of this government to get Nebraska moving again. Projected atmospheric reports over the next week may allow for the beginning of food distribution . We have limited manufacturing works in operation. We hope to commence a massive set of operations designed to bury or incinerate thousands of corpses lining encampments and roads in our state. We hope to strengthen links between the control points and the individual towns over the next month. We have already received a pledge from the varied Civil Air Patrol units in our state to assist us in anyway that they can.."

BASE HOTEL -- Seward, Nebraska -- same time

"I'd like to point out the effort of the CAP squadrons in Nebraska. Most of us didn't know the Civil Air Patrol existed until this emergency. But many Nebraskans owe a great debt for service above and beyond by a group of people who love flying and seek to serve their fellow man."

Jack Maitland and a crew were working on the varied planes in the hangar. A mix of Cessna, Beechcrafts, the LIFEFLIGHT helicopters and some recently reclaimed National Guard fighters. Maitland was focused on his work, but felt warm inside as the Governor praised Nebraska's CAP.

"Many CAP pilots in the week leading up to the attack flew critical supplies to areas across the state. A CAP pilot flew the recent recon mission over Omaha which provided us with critical data on the catastrophic damage to the city. Other CAP personnel have been actively assisting our Combined Forces to help keep public order, and that role will be expanded under the new public safety structure. The Civil Air Patrol is not a secret anymore. They are a key part of our emergency planning in this state and have been a vessel for the development of our Air National Guard."

Beechcraft Bob's home/hanger -- near Howells, Nebraska -- same time

"Earlier I told you the story of the brave pilot, Lieutenant Todd Trofholz, who engaged, and shot down a threatening Soviet aircraft in the skies over our state. He got his first flight training as a young boy, thanks the Civil Air Patrol Squadron in Colfax County. This again, is the best of Nebraska."

Beechcraft Bob grinned. Todd Trofholz was like a son to him, and he was very pleased with what he heard about his "son".

"Always knew that boy had it in him," Beechcraft Bob thought.

"He then looked at the picture of his current class of cadets. It was taken a couple of days before the missiles came. It was the uniform cadets and the newest arrivals. Six refugee kids. He looked closest at one who on the surface was very different from the others, but Bob saw something the first time he met him...He saw the very same things he found in a little boy named Todd many years ago."

"Marjorie," he thought remembering his late wife, "One of ours has made us proud. And I have more children to teach now. I pray I can have more time here to help them grow."

"Looking ahead, there is our Capital. For now, we have so much to handle there. But we hope to allow right of return for Lincoln citizens who evacuated the city. That will be a major priority, once we can get emergency services and administration reestablished. Thankfully, Lincoln has a good deal of surviving city government, including Mayor Helen Boosalis. Once we can secure the city and secure services they can get to work and reestablish our state's capital city. We ask that no refugees from outside the city attempt to return at this time. We will inform you when you may do so. But for now, the city is under strict military quarantine until further notice."

underneath Memorial Stadium/University of Nebraska -- same time.

"It would be MY wish to one day conduct the business of our state in our beautiful state capital building in downtown Lincoln. To have student studying and bustling at UNL again. It was a true tonic to hear that at the city has survived. For now a lot of brave troops are there helping to secure a piece of Nebraska that the war did not take away."

"I'm also pleased to report that among the survivors in Lincoln is a man that most of us dearly love. Former Head Coach at Nebraska/now Athletic Director Bob Devaney is very much alive and huddled with a group of Nebraska students in a shelter on campus. Coach Devaney has been in contact with the National Guard and he tells me to tell you all, ' this state is full of fighters and champions, and not even the Russians can beat that.'"

Coach Devaney and all the students smiled. The guys in the planes weren't lying. Help was on the way.

"There is also the matter of our Unicameral. Our Unicameral Legislature is still functioning, and has a surviving quorum. Today, I announce that our Unicameral will return to session no later than April 15, 1984. The main thrust of this special session will be geared toward redistricting the state in the hope to keep with our Constitutional guidelines which call for elections to our legislature by the end of 1984. Obviously, the present emergency will affect this, however I feel that part of continuity is not just continuity of people, but the continuity of our process."

General Sciences Building Fallout Shelter/University of Kansas -- Lawrence Kansas -- same time.

"zzzzzz......Our Unicameral Legislature......session....zzzz....end of 1984......Obviously....emergency...zzzz..part of continuity is not just continuity of people, but the continuity of our process.....zzzzzzz... not just for 1984, but for the end of the executive term in 1986 and mandated calls for elections for the office of Governor of Nebraska....zzzzz."

A young student was droning out to static..until it became clearer...she perked up....was it a recording? Didn't seem like it....The words 'Governor of Nebraska' snapped her to attention..

"Clara you alright? Did you hear something?," another student asked.

Clara was locked in on the signal, she was excited..."Somebody get Professor Huxley," she said excited..."Get him NOW!!!"

"Clara whats the deal?" It's just static.."

The dorky, cute student in glasses flipped a switch on the radio receiver. Sound poured out of the speaker...It was still fighting the interference but was coming in clearer...

"We are still gathering news on the greater national situation. We have received some scattered reports that a Federal Government is reforming...That other state governments have survived. We are still trying to investigate and identify were these dispatches come from."

One of the other students perked up as well, "WOW! We aren't alone...I'll get the professor..Write down anything you hear!"

National Emergency Airborne Command Post NIGHTWATCH/"Guardian" -- refueling at CFB Cold Lake, Alberta -- same time.

"To all surviving Americans, U.S. states, FEMA, anybody...You are listening to Radio Nebraska, the voice of the state of Nebraska and a service of the Nebraska Continuous Emergency Government. We are here. We may be battered, but we are unbowed. We maybe hurting, sick, tired and radioactive..but we are here and we will not quit!"

"You know him personally, eh?" the Canadian Forces major said.
Captain Glenn Harper nodded. "I served with him in Vietnam. A good man in a storm."

The CINC-SAC nodded. "I can agree with that."

"Corporal" The Major yelled. "Is somebody in signals recording this?"

"Yes sir!" the Corporal answered.

"I want to get this information to the surviving provisional provincial governments. Let them know somebody else is still alive. Another piece of the puzzle."

a listening post in Washington State -- same time..

"Sir," the signal officer said. "I'm getting a broadcast here on one of the EBS frequencies...It's a little faint, but if I hear it right...it is said to be from....Nebraska, sir.."

near College Station, Texas -- same time...

"We maybe hurting, sick, tired and radioactive..but we are here and we will not quit!"

The Cadet heard most of the broadcast when his CO came in. "Sir, I've been monitoring a dispatch since 9, sir....The voice on the radio claims to be the Governor of Nebraska..."

The cadet commander plugged in his earphone and listened.

"Nebraskans, we have been through a terrible trial, and there will be more difficult days ahead. It will be quite easy to lose hope. How can one have hope when so much is lost?"

"I want to talk to our youngest Nebraskans..."

"Kids, its been rough. Days spent trying to stay alive. Nightmares through the night. So many things taken away. Perhaps the loss of parents, grandparents, friends and innocence."

Debra noticed the sadness in Bob Kerrey's voice. He was thinking of his children. They were in Texas with his ex-wife. Are they still alive? She feels his pain come out in his words.

"I'm a parent, too. I miss my children terribly. I dream of them. I pray they are okay in this world or the next. All parents hearing me, please, please listen. Listen to your children. Let them vent. Let them cry. Hold them, hug them. Love them. They are the most innocent victims of this war. They are the most innocent casualties. They are also the key to our tomorrow as a people and as a land."

Rick's Farm -- same time

All families were sitting near the radio, listening to the Governor. Chip was listening even closer. Sitting with his cousins, thinking about what he wrote this morning. It was as if the Governor had read his Journal.

"Kids, I need you. I need you to not give in to despair. I need you right alongside. You are never too young to help. Never too you to do your part and help others. I know the nightmares are hard, the days are difficult, but I am counting you and the state is as well. You are the future of Nebraska, the future of America, and the future of our world. Perhaps you will learn from our mistakes and make this world better. I believe that you can and you will."

Chip's father hugged him tightly. "You are hearing him, son? We're alive for a reason, son."

"Yes, dad, " Chip said quietly.

"This is why I'm pushing you this hard. This is why I want us to work hard. I want us to live..Not just survive."

"I believe that we all can and we will. Together, we will rebuild, we will survive and we will prevail."

"We will all stick together, in all kinds of weather, for dear old Nebraska."

"Thank you for giving me your time this morning. God Bless you all, and please take care of each other, Nebraska."

to be continued.

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for the excellent update, covering so many bases, and giving a picture of the human touch. Beautiful and moving.
And, as a CAP PAO, thank you for your high praise of CAP. I know we don't get much attention, but every little bit helps.

One more aspect...religion. Once people are clear to get out of the shelters, there will be public memorials of various sorts. I'd be glad to help with some religious services that might be used, since I have a small hymnal/service book collection. (Including the 1979 Episcopal BCP, the 1966 United Methodist Book of Hymns, the 1978 Lutheran Book of Worship, the 1970 Worshipbook of the UPCUSA, and the Book of Worship for United States Forces.)

Land Of Flatwater: Hearts And Minds

WEARENEBRASKA1.jpg

TO: Governor Kerrey
FR: Dr. Don Benning, Communications and Education Executive. Nebraska Continuous Emergency Government.
RE: Winning hearts and minds.

Bravo, Governor!

Your address to the state was right words at the right time. Now we must turn that speech into a sustained campaign to bolster the people.

What you are seeing above is an example. We have printed a group of these and we will send them out the control points statewide in the form you see above. A smaller black-and-white version will be made as leaflets.

Even in these times, our programs are only as good as the popular support they will have. Right now, we have a state that is scared, demoralized and now I hear we have a serious flu crisis rising up, as if we didn't have enough problems.

What my department will start is a two-pronged campaign. The posters are the visual campaign. It will involve a heavy use of the symbols and traditions of Nebraska's people. Our state has heroes and traditions that should not be forgotten. The use of those symbols in your speech certainly resonated. Radio Nebraska using the University fight song as the open to the broadcast resonated. We must continue to burn those things deep into our common memory.

The second prong is through Radio Nebraska. We've built a group of PSAs designed to get people volunteering, helping, learning, being active participants in survival.

I like the concept of legislative elections this year. My department is ready, and willing help should we formally set a date. I'd also like to go a step further. I would like to see our Emergency Government commit to restarting schools for our state's children by September 1985. Let's discuss this as soon as possible.

In the short-term, I think with the rads coming down to levels that will allow longer times being outside, I think we need to consider getting you out of this bubble here at BASE ALPHA, getting you among the people as soon as we can. People have heard you Governor, but there's something to be said for Nebraskans to see their leader. There's a lot of people in this state who may believe that they don't have a state government. They certainly believe there isn't a national one.

I believe a lot of our people's hearts were strengthened by your words on March 1. My goal is to turn that strength into actions that will help get us back on our collective feet.

to be continued (next update -- cue that "Law and Order" noise)

WEARENEBRASKA1.jpg

Last edited:
Has the Soviet military offensive/threat evaporated? Are people wondering "are we still at war and will there be another Soviet attack"? I ask this because the last update had the "feel" of "here's how we'll rebound from that devestating natural disaster (severe storm, earthquake, etc.)" rather then "here's how we'll rebound from that devestating and destructive attack on our state and nation."

"Has the Soviet military offensive/threat evaporated? Are people wondering "are we still at war and will there be another Soviet attack"?

To answer the first question? It hasn't evaporated, as some Canadian forces have said. But it is sporadic at best. But that is an unseen factor right now. How much of the Soviet response is left? Right now, it is difficult to say.

Are people wondering? One person in Nebraska definitely is, because its his job to wonder. Brigadier General Griswold is pondering a future Soviet attack, that is why the National Guard is trying to find every piece of equipment that can and get it working and weaponized.

To the average person though, the "Soviet Threat" is secondary to the local threat that they see around them. Disease, hunger, and the increasing levels of banditry and violence. Those things take a higher level of the priority list at this point. My next few updates are going to be looking at that. Desperate people will do a lot of things, and this flu going around is causing that desperation.

"Jah mon! Them vaccine de Gov'nor talk about on the radio. I know how to make it, mon. All I need is the equipment and its there at the college. But I'm not making tings for free. Everyting has a price, mon."

to be continued :)

Last edited:
The Public radio and television will likely be a strong component of those media, especially because it will be difficult for the private sector to reassert itself quickly (and as quickly as before the war).

Keep it up, Chip!:)

I've got a feeling that Nebraska might end up being one of the centers of reconstruction for the Midwest. With Lincoln still in tact, it's probably the biggest population center left in the region. Governor Kerrey might end up managing the reconstruction of a lot more than just Nebraska, though he sounds like he might be able to handle the job. Oh, and great updates Chipperback!