Lands of Red and Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lands of Red and Gold #52: The Shape of Things to Come
Lands of Red and Gold #52: The Shape of Things to Come

Finishing the post on the fate of the Holy Roman Empire is taking much longer than I’d planned. In the meantime, here’s a glimpse of the future of the LRGverse.

Dawson (formerly Unega) [Montgomery, Alabama]
Alleghania

Above, a waning gibbous moon hangs low over the western horizon, offering steady light in an otherwise cloudless sky. In the east, as if in counterpoint, faint glimmers of blue are beginning to emerge from the blackness; the first signs of the approaching dawn.

Below, Myumitsi Makan makes his careful way through the streets of Dawson. Today marks his second morning in this growing new town, this place of mills and workshops. A town which would be most appropriately titled if the same unegas who dominate it had not renamed it [1].

In this time of pre-dawn, the light is not yet bright, nor is the world yet balanced, but it meets Makan’s needs. He can see well enough for his purposes; all he wants, for now, is to follow the right streets to reach the park, without stumbling over horse manure or street rails or any of the other hazards on the roadways of this crowded town.

A shout rings out from behind him, a wordless warning for him to stand aside. He does so, as the fading shout is replaced by the clip-clop of iron-shod horse hooves and the fainter slide of iron wheels on iron rails.

A horsecar [horse-drawn tram] passes by; evidently, even this early hour is not enough to deter the inhabitants of Dawson from labour. Few if any of the inhabitants follow the path laid down by the Good Man, so they would not have risen for prayers; only the ravenous demands of the ever-growing mills could have called them from their beds. These mills and horsecars mark a new way of shaping the world, or so he has heard from a dozen or more people during his short sojourn in this town. Alleghanians are a proud people, it seems.

The hints of blue are becoming more predominant in the eastern sky as Makan resumes his walk through Dawson. The distance remaining is not far, if he can trust a day and a half’s worth of memories of the town’s layout.

He will have to learn more, of course, and quickly. Dawson is a town crying out for labourers, by all reports. The rich soils which once supported the farms and diverse crops of the Congxie are now being replaced by endless cotton fields. Once that cotton is harvested, most of it is brought here to the mills of Dawson.

All in all, a welcome opportunity to earn some Alleghanian coin. And, if he is honest with himself, an even more auspicious opportunity to live somewhere that people will not recognise him for his father’s name. The past shapes a man’s future, both his deeds and those of his forebears, but surely some consequences can be side-stepped.

His strides bring him to an open expanse of green parkland, grass scattered with a few cornnart [wattle] and hickory trees. A perfect place for morning invocation; the time when night is in balance with day and prayers are most harmonious. Most Congxie make their morning invocations in a temple or in a shrine in their own homes, but Makan has always preferred to pray out of doors. He needs only himself, a mat, and a copy of Oora Gulalu [The Endless Road] or The Great Dreaming and, if possible, an open space.

As he looks more closely around the park, he notices that signs have been placed at several points around the entrance. He had not come close enough to see them yesterday when he first heard of the park; now, he has the time to look more closely.

The nearest sign shows a dark-skinned face, with tightly curled black hair, grossly exaggerated lips, and round yellow circles for eyes; just as the Alleghanians – or, more accurately, the Cavendians – depict the African race. Two diagonal red lines cross over the face.

Below the crossed face is writing. In English only, which he can read to a degree, though he is more fluent in French, and most fluent in his own language. The words on the sign proclaim: NO BLACKS ALLOWED.

That message is clear enough, so Makan ignores it. Here is the openness he needs, and dawn is about to break. He unrolls the mat, facing east, kneels down upon it, and places his copy of Oora Gulalu to one side, for the moment.

Now, Makan prays, as he has done every dawn and dusk for all of his adult life. He prays for wisdom, for knowledge, and for his deeds to bring only harmony. He invokes guides to aid his course through the day, calling in turn on the Fire Brothers, then Tsul Kalu, then the Rainbow Serpent.

Before he can invoke a fourth guide, a most unwelcome voice interrupts him. “What are you doing here, nigger?”

Makan brings himself to his feet, however reluctantly; to leave a prayer unfinished is a most inauspicious start to any day.

A clean-shaven, wig-festooned, typically overdressed unega stands before him, the colour of his rage showing plainly on his sickly, creamy skin, even in this early light. As is true of most unegas, this man is shorter than Makan, but speaks much more loudly than is required in such circumstances.

“I am praying,” Makan says.

“Go pester your pagan gods somewhere else,” the unega says. His clipped accent marks him as a Cavendian, although that would be obvious anyway. “Even if you can’t read, you can see the sign. No blacks allowed here.”

“I’ve read it,” Makan says. Calmness is called for; the first path will not be followed by responding with anger.

“So get your black arse out of here!” the other man proclaims.

“But I’m not black. I’m Congxie,” he says. Even an unbalanced unega should see that much. Makan’s skin and curly hair have much the same shade as Africans, but the breadth of his nose, the bulk of his jaw, and the height of his cheekbones announce to all the world that he is Congxie.

“Who cares what tribes you niggers divide yourselves into?” the unega says. “The same rules are for all of you.”

“Rules you wrote for bondsmen, not for free men,” Makan says.

“Don’t get fresh, nigger,” the other man says. “This is Alleghania now, and our laws are what matter. Get your big black arse out of the park before I call the militia.”

Not worth a fight, Makan tells himself. Pride has its place, but so does judgement. He rolls up his mat, collects the book, and walks away. As he leaves, though, one thought runs through his mind again and again.

If those are the rules, then they must be changed.

[1] Unega is one of the Congxie words for white; originally borrowed from Cherokee, but now almost exclusively used to refer to people of European descent.

Thoughts?

As is true of most unegas, this man is shorter than Makan, but speaks much more loudly than is required in such circumstances.

[1] Unega is one of the Congxie words for white; originally borrowed from Cherokee, but now almost exclusively used to refer to people of European descent.
Why these ATL Southerners are shorter than that Afro-Amerindo-Aururian hybrid that is called Congxie? In OTL at least, Dixielanders were among the best-fed and healthiest peoples on the Earth. The Congxie, on the other hand, live in somewhat worse conditions, being cut-off from best lands by colonists, and their ancestors included malnourished, overworked and highly disease-prone slaves from sea coast plantations. Hybrid vigor may be an explanation, but is it enough, especially some generations after the most active phase of hybridization ended?
And, if he is honest with himself, an even more auspicious opportunity to live somewhere that people will not recognise him for his father’s name. The past shapes a man’s future, both his deeds and those of his forebears, but surely some consequences can be side-stepped.
Ah, blood feud, I presume? Nations and cultures might be quite different, but some traditions of Appalachia came to exist in the LoRaGverse, too.

Rather beside-the-point question here, and pardon me if it's been answered already, but how does one pronounce "Congxie"?

Excellent TL and interesting update, by the way! Just got around to reading the work in its entirety.

Hendryk

Banned
So even in TTL the Deep South ends up with racial segregation. Some places simply are cursed.

What's interesting is that the chapter doesn't give any date, so all we can guess is that this is sometime in the 19th century. The first industrial revolution is underway but the second one hasn't come up yet.

Rather beside-the-point question here, and pardon me if it's been answered already, but how does one pronounce "Congxie"?

I've been mentally reading that as "Kong-zee," which is probably not right--if the 'x' were supposed to sound like a 'z,' it would probably be a 'z'...

Well given that the glaciated sierras do serve as a natural water reserve of sorts, I can imagine things being fine even during droughts.

Certainly looks like it. Whoever is the first to get Aururian crops to the Central Valley is going to really find them useful.

On the topic of soil, drainage and the like in NZ/Aotearoa, here are some general over-view links

Wow. That's extremely useful, and gives me a lot of things to work in when I'm mapping how the Maori have adapted to *New Zealand.

I would imagine that mid Cantebury (Ashburton area) may possibly be appropriate - being a little warmer than further south, high sunlight hours, with drainage that can be improved by human agency.

That part of the country gets incredibly dry on a regular basis (well known for droughts), in part due to the Southern Alps and much of their current productiveness is due to intensive river or aquifier sourced irrigation.

Prior to about 5-7 years ago, before hill side deployable low pressure irrigation systems became common, the landscape used to look rather strange, with deep green flatland pastuarage and then dry brown hills. Now, not so much. Prior to the construction of the big irrigation schemes of the 1970s onwards the whole area used to be incredibly dry too

It certainly looks like an area where Aururian crops will grow well. Any problems with drainage can be corrected, particularly in the hills. (Terraces are one obvious solution.)

Why these ATL Southerners are shorter than that Afro-Amerindo-Aururian hybrid that is called Congxie? In OTL at least, Dixielanders were among the best-fed and healthiest peoples on the Earth.

In some times and in some places, yes. Not always, though. In particular, when their diet relied too much on maize, they were prone to pellagra.

Also, maize itself is rather low in protein, and so causes problems unless there's other decent sources of protein - usually meat. This wasn't usually a problem in OTL, since meat consumption was extremely high, but there were some circumstances where people couldn't get meat. ATL, there will be a few more, but the biggest contributor is that the Congxie themselves are healthier.

The Congxie, on the other hand, live in somewhat worse conditions, being cut-off from best lands by colonists, and their ancestors included malnourished, overworked and highly disease-prone slaves from sea coast plantations. Hybrid vigor may be an explanation, but is it enough, especially some generations after the most active phase of hybridization ended?

There's a few factors at work here.

Firstly, the Congxie have only recently been evicted from their best lands, which included lowland areas of *Alabama. (Hence the unega's comment about "This is Alleghania now".) So for most of their history, they've been farming the ideal locations.

Secondly, the Congxie don't really live in bad conditions. They don't have all of the technology of the unegas, of course, but they can work iron and so on, they are literate and organised, and they are (after the first generation or two) generally doing quite well for themselves.

Thirdly, whether their original slave ancestors were malnourished or not doesn't really matter by now. The effects of malnutrition can certainly last for a generation or two, but by this point the Congxie have been living free in North America for well over a century (barring the minor genetic contributions of runaway slaves). Any nutritional problems would have to be more recent than that to really matter.

As it happens, most of the Congxie's ancestors were first-generation slaves born in Africa, and so the effects of malnutrition weren't as severe anyway, but even if they had been American-born slaves, it wouldn't really be relevant by now.

Fourthly, and most importantly, the Congxie actually have a very good diet, using a diverse range of crops which is better than the common Cavendian agricultural package (ie more than just maize). This was referred to in passing in the post, where the comment was that the diverse crops of the Congxie were being replaced by cotton monoculture.

More specifically, the Congxie use a mixture of New World and Third World crops that gives them a very good nutritional profile. Their main crops are maize, squash, beans, wattles, and lesser yams (and murnong in some highland areas).

From their Cherokee and Creek ancestors, they learned about nixtamalization, which prevents pellagra. More importantly, though, they use wattleseed as a major component of their diet, which is one of the best sources of vegetable protein around (and makes up for the maize). From lesser yams (and also, in part, from wattleseeds), they also have a very high folate intake, which prevents folate deficiency with some of its associated problems (eg low birth weight and, ultimately, reduced height and health).

The Congxie don't have a wide variety of domesticated animals - mostly pigs and chickens - but as happened in OTL during the nineteenth century, rural populations get a considerable amount of meat from game and fish. This supplements their diet quite well.

In short, the Congxie are pretty well-fed, although this is changing with the Alleghanian westward expansion and the theft of their best agricultural land. (The rural survivors still won't do too badly, since wattles and lesser yams can survive on poor soils, but those survivors who migrate into Alleghanian towns will have problems.)

Ah, blood feud, I presume? Nations and cultures might be quite different, but some traditions of Appalachia came to exist in the LoRaGverse, too.

Yes, fleeing a vendetta over a father who was viewed as a collaborator. An Appalachian tradition in OTL; in TTL, they've also inherited the Nangu-Nuttana tradition of feuds and vendettas, which is similarly painful for all involved.

I've been mentally reading that as "Kong-zee," which is probably not right--if the 'x' were supposed to sound like a 'z,' it would probably be a 'z'...

I reflexively pronounce it as a Pinyin word, even though it's obviously way off the mark.

That's what I've been doing too... But I'm sure that's not right.

Good point; I never explained that one, did I?

The first syllable (Cong) sounds much as it would in English - compare it to the name of the River Congo, more or less.

The second syllable is more complicated.

The "x" in Congxie represents a "ts" sound, not the "ks" sound which is most common in OTL English. It's the same sound as in English words such as eats and (most) pronunciations of pizza. (The sound came into Congxie from Cherokee, where it's common, including in one of their names for themselves, Tsalagi.)

The "ie" digraph is more complicated still, because it depends in which timeframe you're talking about. During the initial stages of the formation of the Congxie language, it started as a dipthong pronounced as in English lied, and this was rendered into English as Congxie. Over the course of the nineteenth century, though, the pronunciation shifted so that it was just pronounced as a long e, as in teen.

Do I sense a war brewing?

Not exactly. The war (or wars, as the case may be) have mostly already happened. The Congxie have been pushed out of their best lands, or at least subjugated in how they work them.

That doesn't mean that the Congxie will accept being made second-class citizens, of course. There's more than one weapon in a struggle, as Plirities would say.

So even in TTL the Deep South ends up with racial segregation. Some places simply are cursed.

It does, although not as bad as it was in OTL. I figured that with a slave-based plantation culture almost inevitably developing in *South Carolina-Georgia, and given the general racial attitudes of most British colonies, that what happened ITTL wasn't going to be nice, either.

That said, it's not really much like the OTL South either. The dividing line between slave and free is much further south. Virginia is free farmers, as has been described in previous posts, and the Congxie character is careful to draw a distinction between Cavendians (ie *South Carolinians/Georgians) and other people from Alleghania. Note, also, that there's no suggestion of turning the Congxie into slaves, although it hasn't been specified what happened to the slaves already kept by the Cavendians.

What's interesting is that the chapter doesn't give any date, so all we can guess is that this is sometime in the 19th century. The first industrial revolution is underway but the second one hasn't come up yet.

The date has been left unspecified because of a broader issue - I'm not sure how much the speed of technological progress will be affected ITTL. There's factors which may slow it down, and other factors which may accelerate it, and so specifying a year is hard to do until I've worked out all of those details.

In general, though, yes, this corresponds with OTL nineteenth-century industrialisation, and is set in the era when the various colonies around the eastern and southern seaboard of North America are starting to press into the interior. Of course, the path which the Industrial Revolution follows ITTL won't be the same as it was in OTL, either, but somewhere around the equivalent of 1850 or so would be a decent approximation.

And on another note, the fate of the racial segregation may not be as successful as the unegas want, anyway. This is the second instalment in which Myumitsi Makan has been mentioned - some of his quotes were mentioned in post #50:

Jared said:
“Society unravels in this modern age. As we learn to do more with machines, we forget more of what it means to be men.”

“A mill [factory] is a means for concentrating the labour of many into the wealth of one.”

“A man who works for wages is scarce more than a slave. A farmer finds food, hearth and home on his own land. An artisan works for himself. Yet a labourer in mill or workshop serves at the bidding of another. If he is fortunate, he will be given enough coin to survive, but not to thrive. If he is unfortunate, he will be cast aside, bereft of food or shelter.”

“Alone, a wage-labourer weeps at a world which is cast out of balance. Never can a man in cloth cap stand equal to a man who wears a ruby. Only when the labourers stand together can harmony be restored.”

- Myumitsi Makan, better known in English as Solidarity Jenkins

What this could mean for the fate of Alleghania is, I presume, obvious.

Great update Jared. And a question, what is the fate of the Thylacine in this timeline?

I think he has already said it will be gone before the Europeans even see it, due to an earlier introduction of dogs to Tasmania

Sadly, yes. I don't know exactly how long it took for the thylacine to be out-competed - the evidence in OTL is vague - but once the dog has made it to *Tasmania (c. 800 AD), the thylacine's fate is only a matter of time. The same also applies to the Tasmanian devil, alas.

To be honest Jared, having read more about the Central Valley than seems to be available online, I'm not sure it's so well-adapted to the Aururian crop package, except in the foothills.

While overall rainfall is within the right bounds, the hills surrounding the Sacramento valley get heavy rainfall, particularly in the winter. Before Western settlement, owing to this seasonal rainfall and the very flat nature of the valley, large areas would turn into seasonal marshland. This was particularly an issue in the delta where the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers flowed together, south of Sacramento (there was also salt intrusion, as the area was below sea level, but that's another issue). Still, my understanding is before extensive use of water management (levees, irrigation, aqueducts, etc) there was not heavy agricultural usage for the California Central Valley, and while some of the modifications begun in the 1850s, they didn't finish until the 1930s.

I can't find a decent map online. This is the closest. Notice the red and the pink areas, both of which were flooded (in 1900) some of the year.

photo_large_history.jpg

What I would expect is the Aururian crops would work well along the California coast. They'll filter inland, but mostly keep to dryer foothills for quite some time. As IOTL, some advanced engineering will be needed to make the most out of the entire valley, which I just don't see happening until a similar or later point than IOTL.

Last edited:

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
Sadly, yes. I don't know exactly how long it took for the thylacine to be out-competed - the evidence in OTL is vague - but once the dog has made it to *Tasmania (c. 800 AD), the thylacine's fate is only a matter of time. The same also applies to the Tasmanian devil, alas.
On the plus side this TL still has emus, and possible Carolina Parakeets and English wolves IIRC

Nice update, Jared!:)
We are now seeing the seeds of social change in LoRaGTL, as Makan feels the injustices and prejudices of XIX century society and economic system.

The TEARA website is pretty good for NZ related information I must say

Yes, it's excellent. Thanks for the link.

Are you willing to say when, roughly, the events of that post take place?

Are we talking mid-late 19th century here?

I'm willing to say which technological and social period it corresponds to. And that is, yes, roughly mid-late 19th century, sometime in the period 1840-1870 in OTL.

The complication is that there's so many factors which have been changed ITTL that I'm not sure that the technological and social progress will follow the same path. The history of industrialisation is different, the history and sequence of scientific discoveries are different, and demographic and migration patterns are different. For instance, there are fewer Europeans settling in the New World for a while, due to lower population, and those who do settle have a lower population growth rate (thanks to Aururian diseases).

In other words, what you have is TTL's equivalent to the period when European-descended settlers were starting to colonise the North American interior, and when cotton textiles were starting to become an important part of industrialisation. What I don't yet know, because I haven't worked out the pace of all of those factors, is what year this will turn out to be. It may be 1820. It may be 1900. I don't yet know, so I can't specify a year.

To be honest Jared, having read more about the Central Valley than seems to be available online, I'm not sure it's so well-adapted to the Aururian crop package, except in the foothills.

Damn. That's actually disappointing, since I had some ideas for the Central Valley, but they required that the early use of Aururian crops be inland, not along the coast.

While overall rainfall is within the right bounds, the hills surrounding the Sacramento valley get heavy rainfall, particularly in the winter. Before Western settlement, owing to this seasonal rainfall and the very flat nature of the valley, large areas would turn into seasonal marshland. This was particularly an issue in the delta where the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers flowed together, south of Sacramento (there was also salt intrusion, as the area was below sea level, but that's another issue).

Hmm. Sizeable areas of seasonal marshland would not, in itself, be a problem for what I have in mind, unless this meant that the whole of the inland areas were marshy and unuseable.

Still, my understanding is before extensive use of water management (levees, irrigation, aqueducts, etc) there was not heavy agricultural usage for the California Central Valley, and while some of the modifications begun in the 1850s, they didn't finish until the 1930s.

I can't find a decent map online. This is the closest. Notice the red and the pink areas, both of which were flooded (in 1900) some of the year.

Yes, I see what you mean.

If I'm reading that map right, the only areas of the Central Valley which might be useable would be the light green areas labelled grassland - most of which are, of course, inland and not even close to the navigable rivers (except in the uppermost portions). I don't know whether even those areas would work, but they'd be about the only ones where it's possible.

What I would expect is the Aururian crops would work well along the California coast. They'll filter inland, but mostly keep to dryer foothills for quite some time.

They probably would work well along the coast. It's just a shame that they can't be easily used inland, unless the grasslands areas there are non-flooded enough to cope. I suppose I can rework things a bit.

As IOTL, some advanced engineering will be needed to make the most out of the entire valley, which I just don't see happening until a similar or later point than IOTL.

Oddly enough, there are Aururian peoples who would have the technology to do that - the Yadji, or to a lesser degree the Gunnagal. Of course, I don't see them packing up half the Yadji Empire and moving it to the Central Valley, which is probably the size of the workforce that would be needed to make decent use of the valley.

On the plus side this TL still has emus, and possible Carolina Parakeets and English wolves IIRC

Do you mean moas? Carolina parakeets and English wolves would also probably survive. The parakeets were eliminated by odd circumstances in OTL, and English wolves may well survive given the lower population of the British Isles.

Well that sucks... and the Moa survives right? As a an animal hunted for sport by the elite?

Yes. The moa survives, at least until European contact, around *Bateman's Bay in New South Wales. They are preserved for the hunting of the royal family, who have their own strict traditions about how and when they can be hunted.

Nice update, Jared!:)
We are now seeing the seeds of social change in LoRaGTL, as Makan feels the injustices and prejudices of XIX century society and economic system.

Very much so. And given that Makan is a man who will be remembered in English as Solidarity Jenkins, it's probably possible to guess what sort of changes he will initiate.

Status
Not open for further replies.