Northern Wind, a P&S spinoff

Here it is my first thread, parts I and II previously posted here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=214970

Northern wind, part I
Stand up and be counted
For what you are about to receive
We are the dealers
We'll give you everything you need
The band was rehearsing in the basement of one of my friend’s house. We were all feeling like big rock stars but I supposed we were as crappy as our instruments. But none the less we were young and full of guts. This evening we lacked the energy. Stopped playing and just sat around, smoking.
Paul had said it to me one morning we were waiting for the school bus; “This Reagan dude, he’s going to kill us all”. I said, “yeah, - sure”. And we started to talk about girls. We were 15 years old, who cared about politics. Girls, cigarettes, alcohol and music, that’s what’s important.

Haakonsvern naval base, Bergen – Norway.
29. January 1984.

“Med bakgrunn i den siste tidens internasjonale hendelser er det fra forsvarsjefen side besluttet at det fra og med I dag kl 0800 er innført høyeste beredskap på alle forsvarets installasjoner. ” (From the chief of the Norwegian forces; due to the increasing international crisis, From today 0800 it is highest alert on all Norwegian defense forces installations).
The worker sighed, and went of the buss facing the entrance to the naval base. He knew what to expect from the security personnel; only one thing was troubling him. This time they had live ammo, this was not a drill. And one thing he knew for sure; conscripts with live ammo tended to be trigger happy. Everything could happen. But the job had to be done, in these times everybody knew how important it was to get the destroyer ready. Should the Soviets try to invade, well RNN needed every ship available. But the worker knew everything would happen in Germany and in the North of Norway. The land of the midnight sun could be the land of thousand suns. He knew he was safe in the bunker. That was unless the unspeakable would happen.

Askøy County – Kleppestø.

The janitor cursed, this was to much for one man. To many books had to be carried away, and where to? He knew nothing. All he was told was to empty the shelters in the basement of the school. Get rid of all the shit that was laying about. He had to see the principal, he needed help. It’s just to many books, and what should we do with the darkroom? It’s a mess out there, it’s a mess in here. Fuck this shit!

KNM “Nordkapp” , Ekofisk oilfield 320 Km of the coast of Norway.

“We got contact!” No panic in the voice, but still there was a different tone. A whole new reality was thrown upon us this week. No more looking for Spanish pirate-fishermen. The chopper that used to search for trawlers was now on the lookout for a different kind of fish. “It’s the same kind as yesterday – Soviet” The captain order us to follow him, sonar only. “Get the chopper down now, might need it later. Report the coordinates and heading to Naval Command”. It’ was the third sub we’ve encountered that week. We all looked forward to a week in drydock.

I went to see Paul that evening. He might have got some new records. He’s my best friend, but could be a complete ass sometimes. He always said what he felt, but then again. You never had to wonder what he was thinking or where he was heading.

Northern wind part II, Norway, February 1984.
We rock at dawn on the front line
Like a bolt right out of the blue
The sky's alight with the guitar bite
Heads will roll and rock tonight

KNM “Nordkapp”, Haakonsvern Naval Base Bergen.

The retrofitting of the ship was nearly finished. They’ve gotten two more racks of depth charges and the new and bigger main gun. The order to go south and help out with the guarding of the off-shore oil fields had come as a surprise. The long and boring days of chasing trawlers in the midst of arctic storms was replaced with the thrill of scouting for subs and jets. But it soon got clear to them that the ship needed more armament. They got the two anti submarine torpedo tubes, but needed more depth charges. They were old fashioned but even so, very effective at the shallow waters in the North Sea. A rack for the Penguin missiles and some extra AA guns were mounted on pre made positions, somebody had caught a brainwave when designing this ship. The retrofitting went alright and we were more than happy to be allowed on shore leave, the big party we were expecting did not occur. Bergen seems to be a quiet town these days.Back on the ship our captain kept us busy so we didn’t think too much. Emergency drills, weapons drills, first aid drills, everything to make us prepared and keep the fear at bay. A few more days of work and then off to guard the oilrigs.

In the basement of the school a totally new and refurbished shelter was almost ready to use. The janitor was amazed of the progress of the last two weeks. The transition from a makeshift storage to a shelter in two weeks, was more than he had expected to be possible. Accommodations for 100 people were in place. As soon as the water and food was brought in they could stay there for 3 weeks, if necessary. The janitor hoped that things would quiet down. The news was depressing. Today Heimevernet (the National Guard) had been called out. Things were growing darker, checkpoints all over the place. Half of the pupils and one third of the teachers were not at school these days. The janitor wished he had a reason to stay at home.

Haakonsvern naval base

The worker was dead tired. 14 hours of work a day was not to his liking, but they were under orders. The coastguard ship and that damn retrofitting was a real pain in the ass but they were almost ready. And that Frigate in the dry dock needed a little bit more TLC before it was ready. Give us a week and things will be quieter. Maybe he then could take a week off and head for the mountains. A little bit of rest, red wine and stargazing would be nice.

The band fell apart before my eyes. I guess we all were a little distracted by the events in the world. The drummer’s father was called out to do his duty as a soldier in Heimevernet (National Guard). The bass player was gone with the rest of his family, nobody knew where. The rest of us stopped caring, I went to see Paul. He had a lot of music, we could sit around listen to records and smoke all night. Could have been good times, but there where checkpoints to pass, curtains to be drawn, makeshift shelters to build. We could not wrap our heads around it. We sat down and talked about it, and agreed that if the bomb came to the airport or the naval base we were fucked. The blast would cross the fjord and kill us all.
On the way to the school the next day we were stunned to see Heimevernet (National Guard) at the tank park belonging to Shell and Mobile. Serious guys with submachine guns. Fathers and uncles posing as soldiers. It was a cold winter day with snow falling, no wind blew.
Thats it for now. There will be one more update before the nukes fly in Norway.

Here is my list of possible targets in Norway:
  • Oslo, capitol
  • Gardermoen, Airport north of Oslo.
  • Sola Airport outside Satvanger.
  • Haakonsvern Navalbase outside Bergen.
  • Flesland airport outside Bergen.
  • Early warning radarsite outside Bodø.
  • Bodø airport, main fighter base of Norway.
  • Bardufoss Airport and airbase in Troms, Norway.
Any coments?

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Good to see you starting a Thread for this aspect of Protect & Survive. :)

So far it's just a recap of what was already posted in When The Wind Blew, though.

On which point, you might wish to post a link there so that others can find this Thread. ;)

A promising start. Interested to see where this goes.

Falkenburg

Northern wind, part III, Norway February 1984

We're just a battery for hire with a guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty-one gun salute
We tried to go on with our daily life. We had this hope that if we just maintained normality everything would be alright. My mother did her best, but my sister and I were too old to not know what was going on. If my father had been home maybe everything would have been better. Perhaps we could have been more prepared, but then again nobody knew what lay ahead.
All the school’s closed during the second week of February. They stood mostly empty, the occasional command center for the troops or other stuff happened. But the most eerie work was done in the basements. All the public shelters were made ready. There were military personnel to be seen even at our local shop. Mostly hjemmevernet (national guard) of duty personnel buying food or just killing time. But one thing was striking to us, the amount of military planes we could see. My house laid directly under one of the approaches at Flesland airport. It gave us a good view at the planes. Some fighters came by, but mostly large transport planes, even an AWACS came. Lots of flights in the nighttime, it reminded me about the big NATO rehearsal a few years ago. “Is that a Jaguar?” Paul asked. “Think so, it’s not the Tornado” I said. We were both plane spotters. Nothing else to do then watch the sky for planes and smoke cigarettes. When we heard the news about the downing of the KLM jet we were stunned. Everything seemed to go ever so fast after that. Full mobilization of the Norwegian forces. No civilian planes in the sky. Rationing of food and fuel, grownups with dark serious faces, nothing fun on the TV or radio. Everybody was holding their breath.

Haakonsvern naval base.
The worker was heading home. No more work to be done. Seem like there would only be a small maintenance and supply crew back at the base. Supply ships were the last to be maintained. Filled to the brim with torpedoes and shells, food and water. They were dispersed in the fjords surrounding Bergen. The worker and the rest of the maintenance crews was told to meet and work at the civilian wharfs in Bergen, they should be ready to work on the naval vessels when needed. At least he had the weekend of. He took the train out of Bergen.

KNM “Nordkapp”, North Sea, near Ekofisk oilfield.
Engines running on idle, silent. The ship lay dead in the water. All hands on deck, looking through binoculars, scanning the sky. Radar scanning the sky, sonar scanning for subs. Conscripts, sailors and officers where all anxious. No one had been in this kind of scenario before. Still it was what they had rehearsed for so many times. But none the less they never believed they would have to do this. An alarm tore through the silence; “Clear ship”. Everybody started running to their positions. The ship was moving, full speed ahead.

The civil defense had an alarm positioned not too far from the house. But we could hear it all over the place, the sound was haunting. A long 1 minute note meaning; “important message on the national radio, now”. We all went home, running even though I was short of breath. At home my mother sat in a chair, her face was grey. All she could say was: “The Soviets attacks us…..”

All coments appreciated!

I think that the radar in Vardo should be one of the nuclear targets; the station is too close to comfort for the bases in Kola.

I think that the radar in Vardo should be one of the nuclear targets; the station is too close to comfort for the bases in Kola.

There was a radar site there that had NADGE compability, the Globus II radar was'nt ready until 1999. It is a posibility that the Soviet's could have used a nuke for that station, but conventional means is more likly. I think the Soviet's would have taken the radar station out wery early in the conventional phase of the conflict. Later, when the nukes start flying, they would take out all the other Norwegian/NATO threats to them.

Poor Bergen

I love reading this. It's too bad the city between the seven mountains is soon to be vaporized.
What size of warhead is to be used on Bergen, and what is the blast radius?

I love reading this. It's too bad the city between the seven mountains is soon to be vaporized.
What size of warhead is to be used on Bergen, and what is the blast radius?

Thank you. But who knows what will happen amongst the seven mountains? And I'm still researching what kind of warhead(s) that wil be used. Might have a couple of 3-600 Kt weapons heading that way, guess you'll have to wait and see.

Have mercy

Please don't annihilate the smaller towns around Bergen, my parents are at this time just settling down and about to start their family!

I love this timeline, but fear this apocalypse might butterfly my existence!

Hey!

There will be an update. It will come tomorow, I promise. I'm sorry for the delay in this thread but I lost momentum due to the aftermath of a brain injury that sent me to hell and back. Things go a litle slow now a days, but I'll do my best.;)

He's back

Northern wind, part IV, Norway February 1984
I'm a rolling thunder, a pouring rain
I'm coming on like a hurricane
My lightning's flashing across the sky
You're only young but you're gonna die

It was kind of a waiting game. The news came in from the German front. Things were looking bad. Everybody was waiting for what the soviets would do in the north of Norway. When the attack came on Finland everybody knew it would happen. News was hard to get, thin newspaper with no real news. TV and radio sent nothing but classical music and advises on building shelters, some news, heavily edited. No free press anymore. Seem like there was no way back. We had not heard anything from my father; he was on a ship bound for Rotterdam when the fighting started. We could not get a message to him, of from him. My mother kept the appearances as usual. Food was at the plate, but the rationing had started before the firing. She had a distant look on her face most of the time. She would sit and listen to the radio and look south. I don’t know if she was looking for my father’s tanker or looking at the airport. We tried to prepare as much as we could for what we knew would come. Paul and I spent a lot of time fishing. Put everything in the freezer, should have salted or dried everything instead. I came home with some cod and found my mother pale as snow with eyes fixed on something distant. I shook her, I screamed, I cried. “They’ve started. Nuclear detonations in Kassel” she said. I managed to drag her down in the basement and into the makeshift shelter. My mother was gone, breathing but still gone. I started to tap water into every container available. Suddenly I heard the civil defense alarm go of. Air alarm, followed by the listen to the radio alarm. It had started.

The worker listened to the news. All work at the dock had stopped as soon as the news about the nuclear attack came out from Kassel. Nobody said anything. One by one they left work, everybody went home. It was a cold and beautiful winter’s day, a light breeze blew from the north. The town was quiet, like in a grave the worker thought. As he walked home he could see no busses, no cars, just a few people. It was eerily quiet. The alarms went off before he had come home. He started running. Came home and turned on the radio. The voice on the radio was calm, but shaking just a little bit. The familiar voice said there were reports of numerous nuclear explosions all over Europe. The broadcast was cut short, followed by static. The worker sat down in a chair, grabbed a bottle of scotch. He opened the windows, waited.

KNM “Nordkapp”, North Sea, near Ekofisk oilfield.
“Contact, two planes mowing fast, Soviet.” the radar operator shouted. “Wake up the captain, Clear ship. Can we intercept, they must not reach the oilfields”, the commanding officer had a determined look at his face. But the sailors next to him could see his hand tremble. The radar operator shook his head, “sorry they are too fast – wait – there is more contacts. Oh my god, they are all over the place!” Everyone on the bridge could hear the fear in his voice. Everybody on the ship knew they were a sparrow in an eagle’s nest.
He was running for his life. If he fell he would be dead. Nobody would stop, nobody would care. Shit, only room for a hundred people. There were 300 people at the school now. The shelter was nearly full when he got inside. He knew them all, colleagues and friends. “Hey you – Hansen – get over her. We need to shut the doors before it’s too many in here”. The heavy blast doors slid together, four handles were twisted. He secured the door handles with a couple of locks. “Two keys for you, and two keys for me. We cannot let anybody in – or out…” Hansen got a wild look in his eyes, “that means …-” The janitor nodded. The lights went out, emergency lights switched on. Suddenly they felt a trembling; something big had just rocked the school.

We were waiting, I lit a cigarette. My mother didn’t react. I tucked her inn a blanket. It was quite cozy in the shelter, like a Boy Scout hut. The lights went out. What is that noise? A flash? Thunder at this day? I went over to shut the door, but didn’t reach far before I was knocked to the ground and everything went dark.

Last edited:
And another one.

Northern wind, part V
I won't take no prisoners won't spare no lives
Nobody's putting up a fight
I got my bell I'm gonna take you to hell
I'm gonna get you Satan get you

Extract from the book “Royal Norwegian Navy in a new world”, where we can find the interview with the captain of KNM Nordkapp.

What assignment did your ship have at the start of the war in 84’?

Kv Nordkapp was built as a fisheries control vessel, and not as warship. But we were drawn back from that duty. We were retrofitted with extra anti aircraft guns and anti submarine weapons at what used to be Haakonsvern naval base. Our new assignment was to patrol the seas surrounding the Ekkofish offshore oilfield, and to protect the installations against air and sea attack.

How did the attack occur as seen from your view?

At the start of the hostilities in Europe we were suddenly put under the command of STANAVFORLANT. But as things got out of hand in Denmark and Germany we were under orders from Norwegian HQ to stay at Ekkofish and to protect the installations at all cost. We could hear on the radio all the action around Bremen. The first days there were a lot of high flying aircraft both NATO and Soviet. They were damn fast, we saw the occasional fireball from dogfights. We had no SAM’s so we couldn’t engage the soviets, but we had our hands full chasing subs. We were chasing one at the day of the nuclear exchange. We got him, but we couldn’t stop the aircrafts. Suddenly the sky was filled with planes. Thank god it was a conventional strike. The fast bombers hit home on all oilrigs, the fires where extreme. We heard the cries for help on the VHF radio, but we couldn’t help. Later we did a search for survivors but all we found was bodies. We scanned the whole area for subs but found no one. I guess the old diesel sub we sank were a decoy, who knows? Our reports to HQ about the situation were grim, but the replies were grimmer. We heard about Kassel and asked for orders. We were told to stay offshore and wait. There never came any new ordes. Soon we understood why. Strange flashes everywhere we could see. The war had gone nuclear. Every naval base we tried to contact did not reply, every coast radio station the same. Radio was full of static, no voices.

Why did you decide to go to Bergen?

The day after the attack we still haven’t heard anything from anybody. The senior officers had a meeting and we decided to go home. After all, half of the crew came from Bergen or Hordaland. We went to see if anything was still there. So we headed home. We had no illusions about what would meet us. The ship was in full ABC protection and the radiation readings were of the scale. As we moved closer to the coast the readings went down, but still…

What did you see on the way back to the base and how did the crew react to that?

Actually we came in from the south, everybody assume we came from the north. The radiation was high still so we decided it didn’t matter. We were rather safe on the inside of the ship, as long as the filters worked. When we came close to the shore we could see a lot of dead seagulls. There were no ships or small fishing boats on the fjord. But apart from that the scenery was eerily normal, except for the gray sky that seemed to hug the mountains. It also started to snow and the wind was picking up speed. It was black snow at first but soon it became its usual white. Thank god the EMP hadn’t damaged the radar. It was the first blizzard of many. It came in from north-west. From the ocean, the significance of that became clear later. Around noon we approached Haakonsvern Naval base, or what was left of it. One of the conscripts broke down and shot himself after seeing what had happened. His family home was 2 km from the entrance to the base. We could actually not see anything familiar from the ship. Everything was different, black, charcoal black. Even the hill above the dock was gone. The sea lane was the same but the surroundings had changed, hell even the bridge to Sotra was gone. Half the towers were there, the rest was on the seafloor I guess. We understood that both Haakonsvern and Flesland international airport had been hit. There were fires everywhere. Some hope came to us as we actually could see some blue flashes from emergency vehicles. But for most of the time we were shocked. That goes for everybody on the ship. We were all crying, tears stream down our faces. The Shell, Fina and Esso oil depots were still burning. Some of the tanks were still intact. Lots of fires on both sides of the fjord. When we passed Kvarven, (the last turn on the way to Bergen) everybody screamed. We actually had waited to see the town completely gone. But it was still there! Later we learned it was not quite untouched, that ment nothing for us. It was the first good news. We anchored of the port and tried the vhf radio, got just some mambojambo in return. The next day there were flashes of light from the dark city.....

That's it for today. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

I just saw this story, after having been too busy too visit alternatehistory.com in a while. A very gripping story, and I'm waiting for further exciting updates.

I'm a bit uncertain about the list of Norwegian nuclear targets. It all depends on very many parameters, of course. Like how early the strategic bombs start flying (quite early here, it seems) and how many the Soviets wanted to spend on Norway. And how many they were able to get aground before US missiles destryed the silos and airbases. But the Soviets may have had so many nuclear weapons available that they could afford to be generous. I think you will find the main military targets among these (the list is not in prioritized, except the first two):

Kolsås, Bærum (outside Oslo). Home to AFNORTH.
Reitan, outside Bodø. Home to FKN (Defense HQ Northern Norway).

I think these two would be the main targets. Both are/were localized in mountain facilities made to withstand a direct hit of 100 kt.

Bodø Main Air Station. The main air base in Norway + main base for receiving and deploying allied reinforcements.
Fauske Intelligence Station. Main operational facility of Norwegian Military Intelligence).
Novika Submarine Communications Facility, Gildeskål outside Bodø. NATO's main sub-comm. hub in North Atlantic
Andøya Air Base. Base for Orion Maritime Patrol Aircrafts + SACLANTS's main Norwegian base for aerial reinforcements + Military Intelligence (endstation for the cross-North Atlantic sub-listening system)
Ramsund Naval Base. Main naval base North
Haakonsvern Naval Base. Main naval base South
Klettkoven Early Warning and Communications Station, Misvær. Another one outside Bodø. Including Fauske, which is Bodø's close neighbour city, there are fairly many targets here. Probably our biggest nuclear desert, this area. Has the added "benefit" of being close to the Lofoten fisheries, the largest and most important fisheries in the world. Thereby denying the survivours food.
Ørlandet Air Base, Trøndelag
Rygge Air Base, outside Oslo
Gardermoen Air Base, outside Oslo
Sola Air Base, outside Stavanger

Then there's the big 'if': Finnmark and the Frøy Line in Northern Troms. If Soviet do as we expected, and made a serious effort to invade Norway, Finnmark and the Frøy Line would not receive nuclear attacks, except limited tactical ones. Othervise the Soviets would bomb their own forces and avenues of expansion. The Frøy Line is particularly uncertain. This fortress line stretching from the sea to the Swedish Border was to be our main stand. Almost the entire Army with 90 % of our conscripts was to lie in wait in the Frøy Line and try to hold the Soviets back long enough for allied reinforcements to arrive. While defending the line, we would try to keep the Soviets "bottled up" in Finnmark while destroying all roads, bridges and other infratructure. Until the mid-60s we were prepared to use nuclear weapons ourselves on Finnmark (with f.ex Honest John missiles).

Expected losses in the Frøy Line was sky high. We expected to loose most of our fighting personell. But this was our grand stand in a war for human existence. So a lot of our military planning included kamikaze-like actions (like our fighters task of being live decoys by creating a "target-rich environment" in case we went on the offensive together with US nuclear bombers. The target list for Norwegian fighter planes in case of offensive assault against Soviet, included targets all the way from Murmansk Fiord to DDR. The DDR targets was for many years too far away for the fighters to be able to return. So they were one way missions with the pilots being ordered to try if they could, to reach Swedish waters).

So I guess the Soviets would wait with nuclear weapons in Finnmark and the Frøy Line until they felt that it was the only way to achive breathrough. And then try to limit themselves to tactical weapons.

Many of the other targets are also dependent on what the Soviets decided to do in the end. Most of the targets in Northern Norway are close by the sea. So the main Soviet plans was for special forces to try to make amphibious assaults and paradrops, and occupy these places. So the Norwegian military leadership planned accordingly, but realized that we possibly had too few men to defend everything. The Kola Peninsula and Leningrad Military District had far more soldiers and equipment than we could ever hope to match. So it depended a lot on how busy Soviet were on other fronts.

In addition to the aforementioned military targets, there are a range of other possible targets:

Some 10-15 large civilian airports
Some 40 smaller airports usable by fighters and other military planes
Several very large and long ranged Coastal Artillery Facilities
Other Early Warning and Communications facilities
Hydroelectric Dams and Power Stations, like Sima, Kvilldal and other big ones.
Strategic roads, railroads and bridges. Several places in Nordland you could divide Norway almost permanently in two. Depended on hos far south Soviet wanted to go.

And then there's the major population centers, like Bergen, Oslo, Trondheim and Stavanger. Would the Soviets rather bomb cities than military facilities? Without having to spend an unreasonable amount of nuclear weapons on Norway, I think it would be hard for them to take out all the important military- and infrastructural facilities and take out the major cities as well. Both population, important infrastructure and military targets is spread out over a fairly large area and protected by numerous mountains. The steep mountains and deep valleys, and prevailing winds would, I think, make it hard for nuclear detonations to destroy everything.

The oil installations in the North Sea would be bombed with conventional means, I think. Just like the author says.

This is just my, admittedly quite long, 2 cents thoughts on the matter, though. Looking very much forward to follow the story

Good feedback!

Thank you Mirimon.

I'm a bit uncertain about the list of Norwegian nuclear targets. It all depends on very many parameters, of course. Like how early the strategic bombs start flying (quite early here, it seems) and how many the Soviets wanted to spend on Norway. And how many they were able to get aground before US missiles destryed the silos and airbases. But the Soviets may have had so many nuclear weapons available that they could afford to be generous.

I have to say I'm a litle bit uncertain my self. In the original P&S timeline I have the impression that not all targets got hit by the Soviets, by luck or they could have kept a few weapons back for a second and/or third wave of attacks. Attacks wich never happend due to the NATO response. Wiht that in mind I belive the Soviets in this scenario would have taken out the millitary targets on your list, (a good list I must say), first. They might have targeted the main cities as well. We'll see what the story brings.

Then there's the big 'if': Finnmark and the Frøy Line in Northern Troms. If Soviet do as we expected, and made a serious effort to invade Norway, Finnmark and the Frøy Line would not receive nuclear attacks, except limited tactical ones.

Expected losses in the Frøy Line was sky high. We expected to loose most of our fighting personell. But this was our grand stand in a war for human existence.

I spent 9 months driving truck in Bardufoss in 1988-89, doing my service to the country as a conscript. We were told that if the cold war went hot we were expected to survive/hold the line for 48 hours. We didn't think to much about it then, we joked about it actually. Our barracks were 200 meters from the COB airbase at Bardufoss, so we used to say that a bright flash was all we would see if there was a war:cool:. Later in life I think about it differently.......

Last edited: