Weekly Flag Challenge: New Challenges & Previous Winners

The 56th Flag contest have been (surprisingly) won by FollowByWhiteRabbit!!!

attachment.php

Congratulations for myself ;)

Here is 57th challenge:

Kurdistan?? No Yazidistan!!

Lest assume that Kurdish national revival process have include also religious and mystic aspect.
In OTL Kurdish nation are religious divided, most of them are of course Muslims but there are also Sufi, Yazidism, Yarsan, Zoroastrianism and even Judaism with Christianity believers. Most of them are result of enemy influence on Kurdish people made through the ages.

Imagine that one, very discreet and mysterious religion, because of its supposed genuineness, had rised into the national identity carrier.

Your task is to create flag of Yazidistan, religious state of Yazidi Kurds!

You can find more on Yazidism here

A usual you have one weak till 4/11/2011 23:59 CET (UTC+1) :)

Thanks for voting, everyone!

Flag Challenge No. 58

African flags are often based on the flag of the ruling party. Angola's is based on the flag of the MPLA, Mozambique's is based on the flag of FRELIMO, and Namibia's is based on the flag of SWAPO. Your challenge is to make a new flag for a modern sub-Saharan African state after a coup or change in power. Here are the restrictions:

1. The state has to be in sub-Saharan Africa, as defined in this image

2. The state must currently exist.

3. The POD can be any time after the independence of the country you choose. Future flags are allowed but try to keep it in the near future.

4. The new flag must in some way represent either a new form of government or a political party. In the case of a form of government, it should have some kind of historical existence in more than a theoretical capacity. (e.g. Communist State, Monarchy, Anarchy) In the case of a political party, it should be a real party which exists or has existed in that state. You can also make a flag which represents a compromise or alliance between one or more parties.

5. Please identify with your post what state you're choosing and what the form of government or party is.

Yeah, it's a lot of restrictions, but restrictions breed creativity. I want to see how interesting you can get while staying within the realm of the familiar.

The deadline for the contest is 20 November at 10:00 AM EST.

Last edited:
All right. I'm not quite accustomed to these challenges, but I assume I'm supposed to post here. Please tell me if I'm doing something incorrectly.

Flag Challenge No. 59

Countless separatist movements have existed, and countless have failed. Your goal is to create a flag for a new state created as the result of a successful separatist movement within the following parameters:

- The movement must exist or have existed and failed. Please include a link to a source on your chosen separatist movement.

- The state must not have existed as a sovereign entity or for a significant period of time before the separation. Revivalist movements are okay, but attempting to recreate, say, Xinjiang, is not.

- The new state, if essentially a seceding subdivision of the parent country, must differ significantly from the previous denominational government. The "significantly" clause is up for interpretation, but keep in mind that this should not be a simple split.

Hopefully this should be somewhat coherent and fairly open. Your deadline is one week from now, 11:00 PM PST on December 4th.

Last edited:
And Iserlohn wins with his flag, the flag of the Tenere Republic. Congratulations to the winner, and thanks to all participants. We shall await the new challenge.

attachment.php

The flag of the Tenere Republic, the first Tuareg state. Established in the Agadez region of Niger its capital is, naturally, Agadez. While de facto an Islamic dictatorship, government control is spare and provides a stark contrast to the slowly democratizing Niger.

The flag of Akal Ne Tenere, as the natives refer to it, has a green Agadez Cross in the center, whose colour stands for the Muslim faith of the population, while the cross itself stands for the unity of the people with God and for the protection of the republic and its people from evil, as well as the desire to represent the entirety of the Tuareg people with its four corners representing the world. White obviously stands for peace, while the red border was added to symbolize the blood shed by the Tuaregs during their struggle for independence.

And Iserlohn wins with his flag, the flag of the Tenere Republic.

you were suppose to have a weeks voting dude ffs...that way you get everyone gets a chance to vote, not jsut thoset hat show in the first day
read the rules:

- There is now to be a thread entitled 'Weekly Flag Challenge #[number] voting'.
- This thread is to contain a poll with all of the entries. The entries will be shown but they will only be named by number.
- This poll closes after seven days.

does anyone actually fucking read the dam things anymore or what=?...weve had a 2 and a half week challenge before they bothered to put the voting up, a winner of 3 rounds back to back...its just getting ridiculous

you were suppose to have a weeks voting dude ffs...that way you get everyone gets a chance to vote, not jsut thoset hat show in the first day
read the rules:

does anyone actually fucking read the dam things anymore or what=?...weve had a 2 and a half week challenge before they bothered to put the voting up, a winner of 3 rounds back to back...its just getting ridiculous

Since I'm one of the damn elders I shall respond in the appropriate discsuuion thread

Flag Challenge #60: Ahoy, Deutschland!

The Hanseatic League remained strong throughout the centuries and dominated both the North Sea and the Baltic. So...

Scenario A:

Design the flag of a state in North Europe formed out of a centralized Hanseatic League.

Scenario B:

Design a flag for a colony founded by the Hanseatic League (that means no Klein-Venedig, since that was a Fugger colony), that has declared independence.

THIS CHALLENGE ENDS: December 14th, 10 PM EST.

THE POLL CLOSES: December 21st

Last edited:
Seems I won with this so without further ado, let's get the next challenge started.

Flag Challenge #61: Regnum Italicum
Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Duke of Milan, is successful in his attempts to create a new Lombard Kingdom of Italy, and it survives as a stable entity after his death. This being the Renaissance, the Kingdom of Italy does not encompass all of the Italian Peninsula. Its borders are similar to those of the medieval Kingdom of Italy Visconti wanted to recreate, as depicted here.

There are two scenarios, though they don't differ from each other all that much.

Scenario A: Ghibelline
Visconti sought closer ties to the Holy Roman Emperor in order to receive the Italian Crown. Design a flag for a Lombard Kingdom of Italy with close ties to the Holy Roman Empire. (It was part of the Holy Roman Empire for a long time historically, if only nominally.)

Scenario B: Guelph
Visconti sought closer ties to the Pope in order to receive the Italian Crown. Design a flag for an independent Kingdom of Italy that has broken its last remaining ties to the Empire.

THIS CHALLENGE ENDS: January 1st, 10 PM EST.

THE POLL CLOSES: January 8th

(A couple of extra days until the deadline to make up for Christmas and New Years festivities.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Italy_Lothar_II.svg

Yay. Carpet based win :p.

Flag Challenge 62: What comes around...

After 3 centuries the mighty Latin Empire of Rhomania has fallen; the Bulgarians have taken the honorary capital Constantinople and the succession is disputed.

Your challenge is to create the flag of one of the Latin successor states.

NB Successors don't have to be exclusive to the Aegean they just need a reasonable connection to the previous Latin Empire. Even OTL Cilicia and Cyprus were technically vassals of the LRE.

THIS CHALLENGE ENDS: 11.59pm GMT Monday 16th January 2012

THE POLL CLOSES: Sunday 22 January 2012

Last edited:
Flag Challenge #63

I won with this, and now the new challenge.

Flag Challenge #63: Old World Influence

The Old World is in a shambles, but a New World has been found. Adventurers, Missionaries and anyone else who can afford/risk the trip is on their way.

Your Challenge is to make a flag for a nation in the New World, either native or immigrant that has been affected by the cultural exchange. This can be religious, political, linguistic etc.

Ex: Democratic German influenced Mayan Empire, Muslim Cherokee Nation

THIS CHALLENGE ENDS: 1:59am GMT Monday 30th

THE POLL CLOSES: Monday 6th

Looks like I won the challenge with this flag:

VinlandStandard.png

Many thanks to those who voted for me! And now for the next challege...

Flag Challenge #64: Shiver Me Timbers!

The skull and crossbones of the Jolly Roger is an instantly recognizable symbol; it calls to mind scenes of cutlass-wielding buccaneers buckling swash on the salt-scoured decks of their sailing ships. However, the centuries have not been kind to this icon of piracy. It has been modified, parodied, and been generally overused. It's played out.

Your challenge is to create a different Jolly Roger, a flag that a ship can fly to identify itself as a pirate vessel. The pirates in question do not necessarily have to be Caribbean buccaneers of the 17th-18th century; as examples, ancient trireme-based pirates, Chinese pirates, Barbary pirates, and even space pirates are okay, so long as they have a distinct "pirate culture" surrounding them. And no internet pirate jokes. :p

Of course, all real-world designs are off-limits (such as these ones). Be wild, be creative, and don't catch scurvy!

CHALLENGE ENDS: Monday, February 13th, 10PM EST

POLL CLOSES: Monday, February 20th

I somehow managed to win with this flag:

Flag Challenge #65: The Commonwealth

From a recently discovered manuscript in the archives:
"In the Yeare of our Lorde [illegible].
Let it be knowne that the Parliamentes of these Three Kingdomes in Commonwealthe, hauing consented to meete and discourse in union, do hereby affirme the Right Honourable [illegible] continuance as our Lorde Regent et Protector; God save him.
And let it be knowne that his Highness the Lorde Regent et Protector doth hereby affirme his Lorde High Stewardes continuance in his Governmente of this Realme.
Furthermore, let it be knowne that his Highness the Lorde Regent et Protector doth hereby requeste and require a Grande Flagge; one that is symbolick of our commonweal yet respectfull of the Heritage of our Three Kingdomes; that it may be flowne in celebrance without Feare nor Favoure throughout this most Gloriouse Realme United in Commonwealth.
Those shewing themselfes worthie of this great Queste of Artes shalle be accorded Honoures Most Greate."

Your task is to create this "Grande Flagge".

Some points:
a) This flag should not be overly armigerous (it's a flag challenge not an arms challenge!)
b) The Commonwealth does not need to be British - any European or Euro-descended countries may be used

THIS CHALLENGE ENDS: Tuesday 28th February 23.59 GMT*

THE POLL CLOSES: c.Monday 5th March

*I'll be offline tomorrow so I've given you all an extra day to allow for any clarifying PMs to be sent and answered.

Thank you to everyone who voted for my entry :)

FLAG CHALLENGE No. 66: A Union of Crowns

In OTL, we have modern states that were united by a single power several centuries ago.

E.g. Germany under Prussia, the UK under England, Spain under Castille, Italy under Sardinia, Russia under Moscow etc...

Your challenge is to design a flag of a historical (as in non existent today) or modern nation that was united by a different power than it was OTL.

This doesn't have to be a Kingdom, it can be a republic or whatever form of government you decide on.

It also doesn't have to be the flag chosen when the nation united. It can be the flag of the nation today after it's unification centuries ago.

THIS CHALLENGE ENDS: Thursday 22nd March 23.59 GMT*

THE POLL CLOSES: Wednesday 28th

UPDATE: I have extended the deadline to this challenge by an extra 7 days due to the lack of entries

Last edited: