P&S-No Rest for the Wicked

No Rest for the Wicked
Act I, Scene 1-In which an apocalypse reaches its crescendo, a people prepare for the worst and three men are out of a job
H-Hour +19 Hours

Playlist (Not really songs of the era always, but I listened to these while writing this)
Epica-Cry for the Moon
Cage the Elephant-No rest for the wicked
Iced Earth-Burning Times

Yesterday is Gone Forever

• Enter the Mercenary
O-Town was on fire. The Mercenary and his compatriots watch as the city burns. They had been lucky enough to be asleep in the Toyota Pickup when the bomb went off. However, this presented them with a problem. While the Apocolypse had actually been good for business in West Africa, even after the Soviets…or Americans..whoever really, had plastered the larger West African Cities. Thomas Sankara, President of the week for Upper Volta had decided that the revolution needed to be spread to rebels in the North. He also knew his army was unreliable at best. So he had hired the three mercenaries to go North and check up on the Colonel running the campaign against the Tauregs. But now somebody had nuked Oangadangou. Silent Bob, the American, a man of usually few words, sums up the mens feelings on the matter.
“Well Shit”
The Legionaire shrugs and walks off behind their technical to go tell Captain Afrifa that they were now certainly out of a job. The Captain and his 30 men are nominally members of the Presidential guard, but they had as much loyalty to Sankara as the Mercenary did. They would see the writing on the wall as well. They had to leave the area before the fallout from O-Town reached them. The Mercenary watches the flames in the far distance through the binoculars.
“Fucking O-Town”
The Mercenary gets back in the truck, and fiddles with the radio, searching for stations still blasting. Radio Niamey seems to be on the air.

• Enter the Captain
The Captain brings the President the bad news. The refugees are streaming across the border from the Ivory Coast, and Togo was screaming for help. The chaos out of what was left of Nigeria had hurled a million refugees into Benin, and the country was already disintegrating. He also has to tell the President the worst news. Oangadangou is gone. While the world is better off without Sankara, Ghana is facing a refugee crisis on all borders. The President was a military man, and knows the crisis facing them. He tells the Captain
“My Generals will tell me what I exactly want to hear. We must save Ghana. For all we can tell, we have been saved by the madness of the Superpowers. I need you to organize another regiment and bring it to the Benin border inside Togo. Take whatever Armor and vehicles you can put together. I will continue to try to make contact with anyone still functional in the continent”

• Enter the Unprepared Man
The Revolutionary Guide and Brother to All Libyans is silent for once. The Streets of Tripoli are silent as people have retreated inside. Libya’s massive army has finally proved itself to be good for something, keeping the public order. Though the deployments to stop what’s left of the horror that was once Egypt from poring over into Libya will swiftly become a problem. At least Libya has oil, but that oil is soon to make Libya a target. It was already a target, the will of Allah, or a malfunctioning targeting system that made the American ICBM blast Yafran off the map instead of Tripoli. The Prime Minister walks into the Brother’s office and says
“We’re beginning to get radio reports”
The man says nothing
The Prime Minister steps forward
“Sir?”
The man still says nothing
“Get a Doctor”
The Prime Minister rules Libya now, this was certain unexpected

• Enter the Boy
The Boy lies in the sand. His rifle kicks softly. Another man dies. Around him, the other men of the tribe fire. Men die. Men die in droves. The Taureg are blessed. The fire in the skies has brought ruin to those who would rule the Taureg. Quickly the soldiers are dead, and he stands up. His father tells him to bring the horses around, and he does, the six noble animals having taken them far across the great desert. But they are low on water, and the fire had brought many into the desert. It could become bad. It could become very bad.

• Enter the Man who would be King
The Battle for Niamey is over. The Former President of the Republic of the Niger sways gently in the breeze, the noose hanging reasonably well from the lamp post. The Colonel lounges back as the sun sets. He fiddles with the radio, an old station coming on, out of somewhere in Chad of all places. Its some American song or something. Not that there are any Americans left. It’s a dog eat dog world, and the Colonel is a survivor. He understands when to hide, when to live, and when to kill.
Knows it time to kill..and be king.
The radio blasts

Oh, there ain't no rest for the wicked
Money don't grow on trees
I got bills to pay, I got mouths to feed
There ain't nothin' in this world for free

Last edited:
I'm having fun with this. My Next update will for sure cover Libya, and probably the Mercenaries arrival.

Expect an update every few days, as my school work wills it.

Good start. How many millions do you think will die in the next few weeks in Africa? 25 million? 30 million?

More. Actually, if you count the genocide. West Africa and the Congo is not going to be cool at all.

And I will have a one piece vignette for the Race War in South Africa if I get time. Its not pretty....

More. Actually, if you count the genocide. West Africa and the Congo is not going to be cool at all.

And I will have a one piece vignette for the Race War in South Africa if I get time. Its not pretty....

In some ways Africa will be spared the worst of the nukes and rads but will lose even more people than Europe, Asia, and North America, because of genocides and famines and civil wars and coups and counter-coups and counter-counter-coups and so on.

Oh God, I just thought of another thought: AIDS, without all the Western intervention.

Dear God, AIDS will be horrid. Hopefully it will eventually burn itself out, most of the people with it die without medication and from other diseases, or it will eventually spread its way across the whole continent.

I am actually wondering if it will actually burn itself out. But I will play around with some of my notes Im taking/planning.

Central Africa is getting depopulated......

I am actually wondering if it will actually burn itself out. But I will play around with some of my notes Im taking/planning.

Central Africa is getting depopulated......

Problem is that it does take time to kill its victims, hence why it can spread.

A warm "welcome on board", AD!

Glad to see something from the Darkest Africa, that usually is liquidated more or less with the old adage "Hic sunt leones" (and who didn't believe it would have to check it out by himself). There is a strong possibility that in the next future one of the country you had named will receive a visit from NNCS ;)

"All the payoffs and the rip offs. The soldiers and the law.
But the thermonuclear nightmare is the thing we never saw.

Guard corrupt generals in the middle of the stew
But the government changes every day, there's nothing we can do.
In Africa when the bomb came, we are really screwed...really screwed!

I'm spendin' Armageddon, stuck in Oangadangou
World War Three in Africa, the Mercenary's Blues!!!!"

-- "Mercenary's Blues" written by Glen Frey (1984)

I'm subscribed here..

These are Tyler Tyles' kind of people.

Dear God, AIDS will be horrid. Hopefully it will eventually burn itself out, most of the people with it die without medication and from other diseases, or it will eventually spread its way across the whole continent.

By 1984 AIDS has already begun to spread across Africa, and North America and Europe.

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Nom, Nom, more brains! :D

Never mind AIDS P&S is becoming a Global pandemic. :eek:;) Subscribed here too. :cool:

Falkenburg

Lord Brisbane
user_offline.gif

Unemployed Dogsbody

Fantastic opening salvo.

what he said!

I'm subscribed here..

too damn good :D

subscribing!

fwiw, I'm hoping there's some narrative to add to the vignettes

too damn good :D

subscribing!

fwiw, I'm hoping there's some narrative to add to the vignettes

There will be. Told largely in the form of Libyan Military briefings and Ghanan After Action Reports, but yes....

I'm subscribed here..

Damn good song Chip!

Chipperback-Can I have Silent Bob's real name by Glen Fry?

Hmmm, also, in the interests of streamlining, I think im going to focus on Vignettes of the Mercenary and the Prime Minister, Narratives of Ghana, and random bits of horror from around the continent. Cut down on things abit.

No Rest for the Wicked
Act I, Scene 2-In which a nation plans for the future, a Mercenary goes job hunting, and death takes its dominion.
H-Hour +3 Days

President and National Council Eyes Only
Republic of Ghana
Status-Falling
Song-Our Solemn Hour-Within Temptation

We have completed a radio survey of our neighbors. We have communications with stable governments in Algeria, Libya, and Mali. We have conflict in Niger, Swaheri, and the Congo. We are attempting to piece together a list of places struck with nuclear weapons, but right now the situation is dire. We have refugees impacting us from all sides, and are arming as much of the population as we can. We have taken in some of the refugees, but we will get to carrying capacity before to long. The discovery of a foreign legion platoon on maneuver outside of Cote D’Ivoire has been a blessing, but we are soon to run low on supplies to keep Ghana from falling. With our manufacturing capacity limited to ammunition and other light capacity, we are unable to sustain operations on our borders for long. Thus, the military recommends the following courses of action.

1.Securing of All Manufacturing towards the defense of Ghana.
2.Securing of what cooperation we can with Libya, Mali, Algeria, and any other remaining governments.
3.Secure fuel from somewhere, anywhere.

Enter Tripoli, The Beacon of Hope amidst the darkness
Where is the Edge-Within Temptation

As a world burned down around them, somehow, perhaps through radios, and broadcasts, people learned that Tripoli, and Libya itself, remained undamaged. Tripoli itself would be whispered as a place of hope, a final destination of millions of refugees. Of course, Libya’s food problems would soon be a lot worse then they currently where. Thus.. extraordinary measures would be taken. As well, the even small nuclear strikes had stretched Libya’s medical resources to the breaking point, and it only had so many spare parts to manufacture materials for its army, and even essential goods and services. And then their was the matter of non-irradiated food supplies.

The Prime Minister sits at his as an Army Colonel walks in and salutes. The Prime Minister still feels strange sitting at the desk that used to belong to the great leader. Not actually that great. The man had bombed Sicily, and Libya had still received two nuclear strikes for its trouble. Yaffran and the naval base at Khoms had ceased to exist, though the Yaffran strike had almost been clearly meant for Tripoli. The Army Colonel salutes and says
“Sir, we are deploying nearly two full divisions to the best routes into Libya, but we cannot take the Egyptians. We have tried to contact any remnant of Egyptian Government, but the country is gone. The Aswan High dam probably annihilated anyone who survived Cairo and Alexandria.”
The Prime Minister said

“Can we hold against the tide of refugees”
“Maybe…but it will leave us vulnerable, as we need most of are army for the days ahead. With your authorization though, I will deploy the special weapons. It should be enough to stop the refugees”
The Prime Minister was horrified
“Is that all we can do”
“It, may be the only way. We just don’t have the supplies. Our medical system is near breaking from the survivors of Khoms and Yaffran, what few there actually was”
“Have we made contact with anyone else?”
”Chad, Algeria, Tunisia. Morocco is gone completely, no city larger then 50,000 left in the country, Ghana is holding against the sorry remnants of Nigeria, and somebody has hung the President of Niger from a lamppost.
”Anywhere else?”
”Somalia, Ethiopia is pretending everything is okay, but the reports we are getting are telling a very different picture”

“The Congo? South Africa”
”We just don’t know. Not yet”

And so with the rising sun at their backs, three flights of Su-22s configured for ground attack lifted off from bases around Sirte and Tripoli, the wing hardpoints armed with aerosol dispersal bombs for VX Nerve Gas. The VX had been chosen for its persistency, effectively sealing the crossings from Egypt into Libya. Even for a country that had been used to using chemical weapons, this was almost too much. Two of the pilots shot themselves in the days after the bombings, but as a temporary measure, it was somewhat successful, the tide of refugees going into the desert, or poring instead down the Nile, and into the Sudan, overwhelming the already fragile surviving government in Omdurmon. Thus, the collapse of the SudanAfrica. Of course, the tribulations for Libya were just beginning. was the latest endgame in a domino effect that would cover

Enter the Mercenary
Kreator-Dystopia

The 5 Technical and 3 pickup trucks race along the old road that connected the cities of the Sahel. What they have seen is already enough to proof that sanity has taken leave of the area. Well, the Mercenary considers, Sanity had already taken leave of the continent along time ago. This was just its almost logical conclusion. He lights a cigarette, driving with one hand. The Legionnaire is sleeping, and silent Bob is manning the .50. They had been forced to take a slightly less direct rout after they had narrowly missed a battle between the “army” of Benin and the remains of a Nigerian Armored Battalion. So they had gone around, passing deeper into Benin, and then planning to hit the Niger River at Gaya. However with the chaos around them, they had parked out of sight from Gaya. As the Mercenary gets out, he wonders why Captain Afrifa is still following him. Or even listening to him, probably because the mercenary had a plan, and the Captain didn’t. Or the Captain was waiting till the mercenary and his friends were sleeping. Either one would probably lead to the same outcome. He took out his binoculars, and peered out over the ridge, and saw a a checkpoint, or…he grimaced
“Bandits, robbers…rapists”
The Legionnaire took the binoculars and frowned. He said
“We could actually take them”
Captain Afrifa shrugged

“We have technical, and 2 RPGs. They…probably have RPGs also. But we need supplies to reach Niamey.”
The men conferred, and a plan was brought together. Two RPGs sailed into the checkpoints, hurling men and broken body parts into the air. The 5 Technicals roared down the road, each machine gun manned, as the Captains Infantry got out and advanced on foot, Kalashnikovs chattering as running bandits, soldiers, and whoever ran in every direction. The battle was over in less then ten minutes, though 5 of the Captains soldiers died.

Silent Bob had been examining a blockhouse the bandits had been using. He walked over to the Mercenary.
“Problem”
The Mercenary walked in the blockhouse, and even for a man who had killed countless people, he was overwhelmed with disgust. He walked over to the 5 bandits they had captured, and said
“God have mercy assholes”
And unceremoniously shot them.

The Child squeezes the trigger of the rifle. The drugs make him invincible. For when they are in him, he fears not death. The people he kills are his enemy. He fires again and again. And they scream. The fireballs in the sky had been caused by the people he was killing. And who was he to doubt the fathers of the revolution. He fires. They die.
He walks back to the camp. Not all of the enemies had been killed. He is going to have fun.
He is thirteen.

Last edited: