Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

err...i thought if the eprson who set the challenge won again it went to the runner up?¿...to stop the same person from winning over and over

It's not a hard and fast rule, more of a tradition really, if they win more than twice in a row to nominate the 2nd place.

But if fbwr entres wins this challenge (it would be his 4th in a row) then I think we may need to make it a rule pending majority agreement.

Last edited:
It's not a hard and fast rule, more of a tradition really, if they win more than twice in a row to nominate the 2nd place.

But if fbwr entres wins this challenge (it would be his 4th in a row) then I think we may need to make it a rule pending majority agreement.

ya hes won 3 out of the last 5...so really it should be a permenant rule

Yes, when someone wins twice in a row it's been tradition and courtesy for them to ask the 2nd place finisher to select the challenge. Perhaps we should offically state that 'in instances where the person winning has won more than twice in a row the second place finisher will select the challenge for the next round.'

My wining made much a mess here, I see... I've putted new challenge only because I found it quite interesting but I did not decided to add my entry yet. I could decide not to participate and withdraw my challenge if it will be required by the 'contest elderly'

Last edited:
My wining made much a mess here, I see... I've putted new challenge only because I found it quite interesting but I did not decided to add my entry yet. I could decide not to participate and withdraw my challenge if it will be required by the 'contest elderly'

No dammit - I've had my first bit of inspiration for weeks :mad: ;)

Let's see how this one goes.

Yezidistan
  • ATL origin story:
    -God creates 8 Angels (Meleks) from his essence to run the world.
    -When he creates Man and orders the Angels/Meleks to kneel 2 refuse.
    -The 1 who refused in pride, Iblis, is cast out from God's Light and cursed to "live like as man" forever.
    -The 1 who refused out of faith, Tawuse, is raised above the remaining 6.​
  • The Yezidi religion, more palatable ATL to Muslims and Christians, spreads until it is synonymous with the Kurds.
  • As OTL their lands are split by the Ottomans and Persians but eventually are mostly under the Ottomans.
  • With the breakup of the Ottoman Empire, the Kingdom of Yezidistan is created under a British Mandate and includes Mesopatamia west of the Euphrates between Edessa, Dersim, Van, Urmia, Mahabad, Kirkuk, and Mosil.
The flag is the Yezidi symbol of 7 green peacock feathers (the Angels led by Tawuse) around an 8pointed star (Creation) and a gold field (God's Light) above a red band (Man)

Yazidistan.png

Last edited:
Here's my attempt. Blue is the colour of Melek Taus, the peacock angel, and the number seven comes up many times in Yazidi rituals. The shape of the flag is supposed to evoke the shape of the Kurdish flag.

N6zNP.png

Thanks. I quite like yours as well.
Cheers.
It even has the hint of the sun rising above a mountain (Ararat) with rays into the sky.;)

I don't know why more people haven't entered. I think this is a great idea for a challenge.
Could be flag fatigue. I haven't had much inspiration lately but when I read this Challenge and looked up the Yazidis dozens of ideas just flowed out.

Here is my entry.

The flag is black at the top becoming a midnight blue towards the bottom are represents the universe before God called forth creation (Originally the flag was pure black, but as times changed so did this flag.). The white circle represents the pearl, or cosmic egg, that was the universe before God created. The Heptad encircles it as stars: the eight pointed star is Tawûsê Melek, the green star to its left is Şêx Adî and to the right is Şêx Adî's companion Şêx Hasan, while the four stars in the front are Shamsadin, Fakhradin, Sajadin and Naserdin.

Twelve tears descend from the Tawûsê Melek star representing his extinguishing of the fires of hell as he watched the suffering and pain of mortals. The golden urns represent the three mains castes in Yazidi society after the hell fires were extinguished: the murids, sheikhs and pirs.

yazflag copy.png

Here is my entry.

The flag is black at the top becoming a midnight blue towards the bottom are represents the universe before God called forth creation (Originally the flag was pure black, but as times changed so did this flag.).

That would make it bloody hard to reproduce in real life, imagine the little kiddies in art class having to do the correct shading. Maybe instead you could have 3-5 horizontal stripes going blue-dark blue-black ?

That would make it bloody hard to reproduce in real life, imagine the little kiddies in art class having to do the correct shading. Maybe instead you could have 3-5 horizontal stripes going blue-dark blue-black ?

Actually, I tried it with 10 stripes from black to the midnight blue before the gradation. Unfortunately it looked really bad. I may reset it back to solid black before the deadline.

The Mirate of Yazidistan

Just for the hell of it, having 2 ideas I had being done before I had a chance to draw them, I whiped up this one with my only guiding thought being not using the bloody peacock (damn you Malak Taus for making an obscure religion with a single symbol !)
------------------------
Having suffered centuries of hardship, a yazidi visionary by the name of Faqir Al-Aziz arose with a simple message: "Nevermore". Never shall the dreadful childrens of Eve be allowed to pollute the holy land with their presence and despoil the yazidis of their rights. Gathering around him an group of faithful known as the Sons of Jar who grew to the thousand, he inspired a revolt that eventualy cleansed their area of christians and moslems and thus declaring their independance. Upon achieving power, they immediatly set about the important business of insuring purity within the country, outlawing litteracy, lettuce and the colour blue all of which can incur stoning (especialy the lettuce).

The flag: 3 green lozenges for the 3 castes (linked but separated), 5 white ones for the number of daily prayers and the red ones representing the 7 angels.

yazidi2.png

Just for the hell of it, having 2 ideas I had being done before I had a chance to draw them, I whiped up this one with my only guiding thought being not using the bloody peacock (damn you Malak Taus for making an obscure religion with a single symbol !)
------------------------
Having suffered centuries of hardship, a yazidi visionary by the name of Faqir Al-Aziz arose with a simple message: "Nevermore". Never shall the dreadful childrens of Eve be allowed to pollute the holy land with their presence and despoil the yazidis of their rights. Gathering around him an group of faithful known as the Sons of Jar who grew to the thousand, he inspired a revolt that eventualy cleansed their area of christians and moslems and thus declaring their independance. Upon achieving power, they immediatly set about the important business of insuring purity within the country, outlawing litteracy, lettuce and the colour blue all of which can incur stoning (especialy the lettuce).

The flag: 3 green lozenges for the 3 castes (linked but separated), 5 white ones for the number of daily prayers and the red ones representing the 7 angels.

Intriguing.... ;)

I think I have refrained from entering the challenges I wrote, for the same reason.