Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America

"Spook" also refers to a spy or intelligence agent/operative. I presume that's the intended meaning here, though the choice of words is unfortunate, to say the least.

I read the context as saying he was a spy as well, though I do agree that the word choice was...suboptimal.

I could see someone missing the fact that Agt. Clayton was a black man- it's not a huge plot point - or not making the connection w/ the word "spook," as it seems to be a somewhat antiquated slur. The last time I recall hearing it was in Back To The Future, oddly enough.

I read the context as saying he was a spy as well, though I do agree that the word choice was...suboptimal.

I could see someone missing the fact that Agt. Clayton was a black man- it's not a huge plot point - or not making the connection w/ the word "spook," as it seems to be a somewhat antiquated slur. The last time I recall hearing it was in Back To The Future, oddly enough.

Antiquated? Not really, though it's been 2/3 years since I've heard or come across it. I grew up in suburban Detroit, Michigan during the 60s & 70s and so I heard it a lot :(. I had never, until now, heard it used as a slang term for a spy/intellegence agent, which is why the term jumped out at me when it was used. Enough said - it's done - on with the story!

BTW, Archangel, I agree, Clayton probably does have ties with the U.S. intellegence community.

Archangel...don't sweat it..I don't think you are hanging out with some of those folks Tyler Tyles is hanging with. :)

Agent Clayton -- He's quite a wildcard...That could be good or bad.

Spook was used a LOT in the 80s to refer to a member of the intelligence community. It was dropped in nearly every episode I can recall of 'Scarecrow and Mrs King'. To hear it a lot in reference to black people, you've got to go back to the 60s and 50s. Regional variation applies though I suppose---in the 90s in the Southeast, I heard only the 1st version. In the Northwest I haven't heard either outside of period piece movies.

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
FWIW, The BBC currently runs a drama series set in the intelligence community called 'Spooks'.

As with most things, depends where you're from.

Falkenburg

Land Of Flatwater: Moving

KFAB News at 10am -- I'm Walt Kavanaugh -- To repeat our top story at this hour. U.S. and NATO forces continue to try to hold off a massive influx of Soviet troops in West Germany. This comes on the heels of a new offensive by the Warsaw Pact in Scadinavia.

In the metro area, Omaha Police and Nebraska State Patrol are struggling to deal with heavy traffic across all major Omaha streets and highways as local citizens continue to evacuate from the city. Some of the problems have been alleviated by the opening of Interstate 80 to westbound traffic on all lanes but volumes have increased due to the number of people trying to flee possible target areas as far away as Minneapolis and Kansas City.

Federal Emergency Management Agency officials in Nebraska say that all planned refugee centers in the state are fully functioning as of 9am this morning. The FEMA facilities are working in cooperation with local authorities in Hastings, Grand Island, Kearney, North Platte, Norfolk and Beatrice. Two other facilities planned for Columbus and Fremont are behind the schedule due to technicals problem, but hope to open Tuesday.

We at KFAB also have news. We will be transmitting in two areas by later today. Our current studios in Midtown Omaha, Nebraska, AND what will serve as our emergency studios based in Tecumseh, Nebraska. We are doing this with the aid of Nebraska Public Radio and our sister station KMBT. In the event of an emergency many of our staff will be working out of our temporary facilities there, including myself.

Lake McConaughy, Nebraska -- 11:00am -- Monday February 20, 1984

"I can't believe I let you talk me into this, " the older woman said as she got up on the car. "I thought we were staying in Omaha. That's what we told Gail".

"I thought so, too," her husband said. "But something told me we need to go. I can't explain it. At least we have somewhere to go."

"Hell, likes something's really gonna happen," she said. "It's bad enough we was on the road for 9 hours. All that damn traffic.

"Now I see where my daughter gets it from," he thought.

The couple went up to the front door of the lakeside cabin. It used to belong to a business partner of John's. That partner passed away last summer and left the cabin to John in his will. He's spent the last few months building it up and adding furniture. It was supposed to be a place where he and his wife could retire. I was planning to bring Chip up here over the summer to fish. It was to be a family place in the sun. Maybe it could still be.

"Excuse me friend," said a voice from just up the walk. The man was dressed up like a park ranger.

"Yes sir," John said. He was always pretty easygoing.

"You don't look like Mr. Ciplinski," the ranger said. He was easygoing, too. Sort of in a Barney Fife-like way, but he was also business about the rules."

"I'd say not," John said with smile. "Mr. Ciplinski passed away over the summer."

"I had heard about that. He was good man. I've been wondering who's been coming to his place. We were worried when we hadn't heard from him."

"I'm John Walker, I was a business partner of Ted Ciplinski. He left me his cabin after he died. I have all the documents with me if you liked to check them out."

"If you don't mind," the ranger answered back. "I would. Excuse me if I'm seeming a little off-putting. It's just that with all the recent hub-bub, we are getting a lot of people trying to squat here."

John wasn't fazed. If there's one thing an old Army Vet knows: Have everything you need when you need it. He produced all the documents he needed. Over the next thirty minutes, the ranger went over everything, including getting John and Ruth processed and getting their ID cards and provisions for rations. Turns out the ranger is also the area's FEMA captain. That would save some needed gas and a trip back to North Platte.

"So all these different ration coupons are for food, medicine, etc," John asked.

"Only if the bombs come," the ranger said. "Now sir, one thing we have to ask is if you have special skills. If so, you may be called to help with emergency functions, and things."

"What skills exactly,"

"Carpentry, Medical, Electrics, knowledge about radiation...And we're looking for anybody who has been a military veteran, combat vets especially."

"Well sir, I'm a combat vet," John said.
"He was in Korea through '52," Ruth added in.
The warden smiled and nodded, "Oh yeah...Good ol' Core-rea," he stretched out the word just so. "I was 140th Anti-Aircraft. I can man an ack-ack gun with the best of 'em. How 'bout you."

"23rd Infantry. I was in there from July 1951 to September '52, and scared all the way. You remember Bloody Ridge?"

"I can never forget hearing about that, or none of things I saw," the ranger said, remembering some hard times. "I worry about what memories my son may have of this war."

"Where's your son?"

"He's in the Navy. He's an engineer on the USS Nimitz. He called me a couple of days ago. He's was due to ship out toward the Med tomorrow. If anything can help turn the tide...It's that carrier."

"Turn the tide?" John asked. "Last I heard our boys were in the fight."

The ranger had a worried look, "They are barely hanging on right now. The damn Russians reinforced and hit us hard."

BASE ECHO/Beatrice, Nebraska -- Noon -- Monday February 20, 1984

ECHO serves two purposes. It is the National Guard's listening post and a communications link between the continuity government, the state's forces, and the federal forces. BASE ALPHA also has similar communications gear. But there is also a key civilian component. It is where the Emergency Network for the state will have its main HQ. The personnel come from all types of Nebraska media outlets. Nebraska Educational Television, Nebraska Public Radio, Omaha and Lincoln television and radio pros fleeing the possible destruction of the cities, in addition to scientists, medical experts. All volunteered in exchange for provision for their families (a second facility with shelter space for their immediate families adjoins the office space and broadcast studios.)

This is one of the projects the Governor's emergency management funding bill immediately bought to the state, a survivable useful communications base. A 50,000 watt beacon of hope should the unthinkable happen.

"Hey Greg when did you get here..How did you get here?," one of the technicians said.

Greg, is one of broadcast technicians who came in from Omaha. He was a troubleshooter for KFAB. He's not even 30 yet, but what he may lack in experience, he makes up for in savvy. During the 1975 Omaha Blizzard, he kept KFAB on the air with nothing more than a box of 9 volts. That's how resourceful he is. Need more proof? Check out what's in the boxes he carried in. It seems he's been a busy man for the last few weeks.

"Check this out Beth," Greg said to his fellow tech as he opened the box. Inside were tapes and reels, stretching out through the years. not only can he fix the reel-to-reel machines, he's pretty good with a china marker, a razor blade, and a good ear."

"Inside is some stuff I built with Walt, Lyle and Gary. A lot of historical programming. Some educational stuff. Also check this out! Original tapes of a young Johnny Carson when back when."

Beth's eyes lit up, so did the eyes other interested people in the room. Including some rather well-known people. The voices of a generation for quite a few Omahans and Lincolnites.

Greg was Santa Claus. "Now you have to check these next boxes out," He beamed. "Inside the next few boxes is the best of Nebraska Football. Great games, interviews, everything! From Bob Devaney's first game to the "Game of the Century", Richard Nixon's visit to deliver the National Championship trophy in '71...and something I think we'd really love to have....Two copies of the Orange Bowl with Miami...Also known as Mr. Bremser's last broadcast."

"So that's why you haven't been able to be reached in two weeks," Beth said.

"I just wanted to earn my keep. We will need more than rad reports and the Emergency Broadcast System to put on the air. These tapes are the types of things that may keep our spirits up...should....you know...."

A pall of short silence descended on the room.

"Anybody hear any new news on Europe?" Greg asked.

Beth frowned slightly. "Its starting to get a kind of bad, Greg. The Soviets are pushing hard against Hamburg and Frankfurt...and I'm hearing there's new battle breaking out somewhere in Norway."

to be continued.

Last edited:

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
And now I want to see how Sesame Street addresses the situation. :D

'A' is for 'Armageddon'. Hmm, maybe that's one for the Open Thread?
EDIT: Done.

Falkenburg

Last edited:
good idea, Falkenburg...

That's a good idea....and Nebraska Educational Television found just the right person for that about a month ago.

In fact she's been doing some of that and we've been putting some special programming on the televisions statewide.

"I can't believe we got her to do it," Carol said. "There's not a kid in this state who hasn't seen the 'Once Upon A Time' lady."

"I'll agree with that," the NET producer said. "But its saddening, too. Marian The Librarian should be teaching a love of books, not helping kids count rads."

"You have to be very careful not to touch the fallout dust or let it get on you," Marian said patiently. "That is why we have the rad meter to tell us whether an area is safe. When the meter is in this red area and when your radio tells you that the rads are above a certain level. It is best to remain inside. You will probably be inside often in the weeks after an attack, this is why its never a bad idea to have some good storybooks around."

to be continued.

If you remember this....you might be a Nebraskan :)
http://youtu.be/D3bLAk4WGOc

http://youtu.be/-zDTvw1xfp0

Thanks, ma'am...You were one of my favorite parts of being a kid in Nebraska :)

Last edited:
Oh, I was a bit busy this weekend with the Spielemesse Essen around...

I thought something like that, using as reference Jack's posts.

Very well done. This one is almost identical to the sketch I sent to Jack as basis of my nuke-map. Just your map is much more elaborate.

###

@Chipperback

Thank you very much for the explanation.

If the Soviets tried to land on the German North Sea Coast, then they don't deserve anything else but defeat...

Besides, clever to push the task of mapping to poor Alvin. ;-)

###

@Zalter:

The map you proposed is very misleading on two points: 1. It shows Austria divided in occupation zones wheras all foreign troops left Austria after the Staatsvertrag of 1955.

2. It shows the "lost territories" in the East as part of the Soviet zone which implies they are part of the GDR.

###
Seems hard to believe they advanced that much in only 3 days.I mean their doctrine emphasised speed but its not like they are facing rag tag troops.

It is hard to believe, but not impossible. Actually, if I understand Chipperback correctly, the speedy advance only occurs in the South, anyways. Further North, the Soviet gamble doesn't pay off so well.

Opposite to what we West-Germans preferred to believe, NATO plays the game flexibly and doesn't stick to "Vorneverteidigung", interdicting entry into the FRG at all costs. This is key to their success in the way of inflicting heavy losses on the WP forces.

Also the terrain varies significantly across the region.It also seems like they advanced to quickly into Austria hard to believe since Austria doesn't have the terrain for a quick thrust.Bavaria also would be hard to advance quickly.

I agree with Austria. Whereas they would grab everything in the North and East very quickly, I do not imagine a conquest of Tyrolia, Carinthia and the more mountaineous parts of the states of Salzburg and Styria to be very easy, especially if some American forces pushed out off Bavaria reinforce the Austrians.

But Bavaria is in most places a different kind of thing. Once the WP comes down the Bavarian Forest at the FRG/CSSR-Border, the land is in many places only slightly hilly, with few obstacles in terms of large cities or large rivers, but good West-German roads. At the Western end of Bavaria, when approaching Baden-Württemberg, the picture changes again.

On the matter of refugees, that is an interesting point. I am quite sure that borders for German citizens would have been closed earlier already. And fleeing to any other place within Germany doesn't make that much sense, and 1980s Germans were aware of that. So as this is no surprise attack, whoever tries to relocate to, say, somewhere more rural, or West of the Rhine, would probably have done so already prior to the war. So I put the number of 20 million people on the road, though often quoted, during the actual campaign at disposition. Nevertheless, there would still be a few millions of us running around like a headless chicken.

In fact it would make more sense for the germans to surrender since they can at least continue to exist albeit under occupation than nuked of the map.

That is the question in how far WW3 is a place for sanity, but you are of course right about the German dilemma. The question is "better dead than red" or the other way round.

In any case, I do not believe that there is much of a leeway when it comes to decision-making for the FRG-government here once the cold war has gone hot. It would just cling to the vain hope that the WP is stopped and pushed back without nuclear escalation.

BTW the Soviets using nerve gas is a "bad thing" because US/NATO doctrine says all WMD (nuke/chem/bio) are equivalent & will be responded to in kind. Since NATO does not have chem weapons in 1984....

No chemical weapons is a bit overrated. Though it was not as central to doctrine as in the WP. Quick check in Wikipedia provides:

"The U.S. began stockpile reductions in the 1980s, removing some outdated munitions and destroying its entire stock of BZ beginning in 1988. In 1986 President Ronald Reagan made an agreement with Chancellor Helmut Kohl to remove the U.S. stockpile of chemicals weapons from Germany. As part of Operation Steel Box, in July 1990, two ships were loaded with over 100,000 shells containing GB and VX taken from US Army weapons storage depots such as Miesau and then-classified ammunition FSTS (Forward Storage/Transportation Sites) and transported from Bremerhaven Germany to Johnston Atoll in the Pacific.[20]"

On a less reliable note, as I live only a few km away from the British ammunition storage Muna Wulfen in Northrhine-Westphalia, there has been persistent rumor that there where chemical weapons stored there during the cold war.

Thus, in 1984, NATO could have applied some of the big C in return.

----

Concerning "spooks", a as non-Native speaker of English, I also have only heard of the British series which quite clearly refers to espionage.

Oh, I was a bit busy this weekend with the Spielemesse Essen around...

Very well done. This one is almost identical to the sketch I sent to Jack as basis of my nuke-map. Just your map is much more elaborate.

###

@Chipperback

Thank you very much for the explanation.

If the Soviets tried to land on the German North Sea Coast, then they don't deserve anything else but defeat...

Besides, clever to push the task of mapping to poor Alvin. ;-)

###

@Zalter:

The map you proposed is very misleading on two points: 1. It shows Austria divided in occupation zones wheras all foreign troops left Austria after the Staatsvertrag of 1955.

2. It shows the "lost territories" in the East as part of the Soviet zone which implies they are part of the GDR.

###

It is hard to believe, but not impossible. Actually, if I understand Chipperback correctly, the speedy advance only occurs in the South, anyways. Further North, the Soviet gamble doesn't pay off so well.

Opposite to what we West-Germans preferred to believe, NATO plays the game flexibly and doesn't stick to "Vorneverteidigung", interdicting entry into the FRG at all costs. This is key to their success in the way of inflicting heavy losses on the WP forces.

I agree with Austria. Whereas they would grab everything in the North and East very quickly, I do not imagine a conquest of Tyrolia, Carinthia and the more mountaineous parts of the states of Salzburg and Styria to be very easy, especially if some American forces pushed out off Bavaria reinforce the Austrians.

But Bavaria is in most places a different kind of thing. Once the WP comes down the Bavarian Forest at the FRG/CSSR-Border, the land is in many places only slightly hilly, with few obstacles in terms of large cities or large rivers, but good West-German roads. At the Western end of Bavaria, when approaching Baden-Württemberg, the picture changes again.

On the matter of refugees, that is an interesting point. I am quite sure that borders for German citizens would have been closed earlier already. And fleeing to any other place within Germany doesn't make that much sense, and 1980s Germans were aware of that. So as this is no surprise attack, whoever tries to relocate to, say, somewhere more rural, or West of the Rhine, would probably have done so already prior to the war. So I put the number of 20 million people on the road, though often quoted, during the actual campaign at disposition. Nevertheless, there would still be a few millions of us running around like a headless chicken.

That is the question in how far WW3 is a place for sanity, but you are of course right about the German dilemma. The question is "better dead than red" or the other way round.

In any case, I do not believe that there is much of a leeway when it comes to decision-making for the FRG-government here once the cold war has gone hot. It would just cling to the vain hope that the WP is stopped and pushed back without nuclear escalation.

No chemical weapons is a bit overrated. Though it was not as central to doctrine as in the WP. Quick check in Wikipedia provides:

"The U.S. began stockpile reductions in the 1980s, removing some outdated munitions and destroying its entire stock of BZ beginning in 1988. In 1986 President Ronald Reagan made an agreement with Chancellor Helmut Kohl to remove the U.S. stockpile of chemicals weapons from Germany. As part of Operation Steel Box, in July 1990, two ships were loaded with over 100,000 shells containing GB and VX taken from US Army weapons storage depots such as Miesau and then-classified ammunition FSTS (Forward Storage/Transportation Sites) and transported from Bremerhaven Germany to Johnston Atoll in the Pacific.[20]"

On a less reliable note, as I live only a few km away from the British ammunition storage Muna Wulfen in Northrhine-Westphalia, there has been persistent rumor that there where chemical weapons stored there during the cold war.

Thus, in 1984, NATO could have applied some of the big C in return.

----

Concerning "spooks", a as non-Native speaker of English, I also have only heard of the British series which quite clearly refers to espionage.

Actually, I didn't propose that map. If you read my post I used it as an
example of the choices available on Wikimedia commons. I certainly realized the occupation zones are not current to 1984.
I figure Chipperback will pick his favorite when he has time.

I don't think panicked refugees would take into account a closed border.I mean what do they have to loose an invading army behind versus border guards in front.While the border guards might shoot I would still be willing to bet they won't at least less likely than incoming WP forces.So many people would still cross the border regardless of restrictions just not through official entry points.

No chemical weapons is a bit overrated.

Yes and no. As battlefield weapons they are a hinderance, but in all likelyhood too both sides and not in a manner that proves decisive. In terms of civilian casualties, there is a bit of guesswork. The only example of a determined chemical attack on civilians (or with large civilian populations as collateral) I can remember is from the Iran-Iraq War, and even that is not fully indicative because the Iraqis didn't use weapons of the quality and quantity possessed by the Warsaw Pact and NATO.

Chemical weapons don't kill as many as the theory says.In WW1 only 1% of all fatalities could be linked to chemical weapons.While chemical munitions have advanced greatly since then the basic fact is they rarely have the desired effect.They work better as weapons of fear than as effective battlefield weapons.While wearing the chemical protection suit makes life difficult for a soldier as I can personally attest its not impossible to fight on although some might end up exhausted faster than usual.Still its more the fear of them than the actual fatalities most soldiers survive although some with serious injury the idea of chocking to death as unlikely as it is to happen.Civilian casualties would depend on just how many civilians are in the immediate vicinity to the front.At this point most civilians would have fled.

Sorry for everyone, I have to ask you one more day to see chapter II of NNCS and so Chipperback's update. Thank you again for patience.

Antiquated? Not really, though it's been 2/3 years since I've heard or come across it. I grew up in suburban Detroit, Michigan during the 60s & 70s and so I heard it a lot :(. I had never, until now, heard it used as a slang term for a spy/intellegence agent, which is why the term jumped out at me when it was used. Enough said - it's done - on with the story!

BTW, Archangel, I agree, Clayton probably does have ties with the U.S. intellegence community.
Sorry if I offended you in any way:(, but I had never heard of the word being used in a racist way until now.

KFAB News at 10am
Information continuity will improve morale after the war, and during reconstruction.

Keep it up, Chip!:)

TheKinkster

Banned
And just remember folks, this view of an oncoming nuclear war is done thru the Protect and Survive universe...which is a very, very, OPTIMISTIC view of what life would have been like after a nuclear war at the time. Keep that in mind as you read. Sorry for depressing your day. :)

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
And just remember folks, this view of an oncoming nuclear war is done thru the Protect and Survive universe...which is a very, very, OPTIMISTIC view of what life would have been like after a nuclear war at the time. Keep that in mind as you read. Sorry for depressing your day. :)

The debates about the extent of the devastation and subsequent fallout (and 'Nuclear Winter') are well rehearsed on the various P&Sverse Threads but I don't believe I've seen Macragges' vision described as "Very, very OPTIMISTIC" before.

I'll admit some of the American POVs have (so far) been relatively 'upbeat' but that seems characteristic of certain aspects of that Nations' psyche.

In all honesty I'm 'hoping' that positivity will make the dawning realisation of the true nature of the cataclysm all the more shattering.

"Morning in America" becomes "Mourning in America".

Falkenburg

I agree that it's quite optimistic in many respects.

C'mon fellas...I haven't got to the missile war yet..lol

However, some thing to consider:

We've had a run up to war with gave all sides time to initiate their emergency procedures, evacuations, etc. The best way to guard against dying in the nuclear war, don't be where the impact points are.

From Newcastle, England to Upstate New York to the Brazos River Valley to Walla-Walla "Columbia"...we've had a good deal of planning done. Even against what is coming, it can make a difference.

Now "Nuclear Winter"? I've always taken a middle view of of the theory, because the truth is often somewhere between total belief and total dismissal. I see a scenario where you will see a definite effect. Radiation, disease, hunger, and crazy, desperate human beings are the bigger risks to me...and serious climate adjustment will be another critical factor, but not THE critical factor.

oh by the way..

"Get all the troops on the deck. We have briefing in 10 minutes."