Map Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on earth does a worker's revolutionary republic include Lincolnshire, which is about as far from industrialised as you get, but not Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire? And nabbing the Highlands looks unlikely considering the low support base and poor terrain in that area.
/QUOTE]

They were given it in the 1932 Peace Treaty.

I see,

got fricken damnit, does this butterfly away the Louisanna Purchase you mean?
You don't show much of the upper reach of the Republic of Texas. Libya also seems to be halfway between being expanded after WWI by French and British lands. Why didn't the French keep Indochina and just move into Siam?

Since people were doing CP victory maps, i made one. But it's an alternate history in an alternate history. . .

It will be featured in my new story-timeline. Feel free to comment or ask questions.

The independent Ukraine is interesting. Don't see many of those.

But wouldn't a surviving Confederacy (and apparently an expanding one) butterfly up the Great War? How could a USSR still exist?

A city map for the capital of the major French Martian colony (Department Erythie) my Cavorite Solar System world.

See its location in the Acidalian basin here.

The population runs to about 80 thousand, and is the biggest French city outside Le Pied (where their space tower is, and is rather industrial and messy) and the major destination for Martian tourists. Buffered by the equatorial waters north and south it is probably the warmest place on Mars, and deep in the miles deep trench of the Valles keeps it pleasant all year round (apart from the occasional random hailstorm or duststorm that spills over from). It's not as wet as the regions to its south and west due to the massive mesa immediately east and agriculture is more limited, but the city sits in an unparalleled strategic location for both sea and land transport* and is very picturesque to boot, two reasons for siting the government here.

*Air travel is less common on Mars than Earth or Venus due to a) lower gravitational curvature means you need more Cavorite for the same lift, b) less Cavorite elements easily available, and c) a greater demand for Cavorite in energy production (for heating and desalination) all combining to make it a lot more expensive.

Very sweet! You should write a book for the setting.

Bruce

I see,

got fricken damnit, does this butterfly away the Louisanna Purchase you mean?

The Louisiana purchase may occur, though as French India might lead to no French Revolution it's not certain.

I was talking more about the specific state boundaries. The reasons for creating sparsely populated states such as North Dakota or Wyoming are mixed up in a lot of easily changed politics, particularly involving the civil war and Texas. Simply put, it's far more likely that you will see a single state in the Dakota region than 2.

Ok - working with the "CSA: the Movie" setting as best as I can...

The CSA was on fairly good terms with the Saudi monarchy, as another bunch of highly religious and bigoted slave-holders: indeed, the CSA took up something of a position as defender of the Saudi Kingdom (and it's sweet, sweet, crude) from Arab Nationalists and Communists. Although many Americans were hardly happy about an alliance with a bunch of hell-bound heathens, realpolitik and the general ally drought kept such views out of political bonds.

However, the successful ejection of Iraqi forces from Kuwait by CSA-backed Saudi forces led to an expansion of the Soviet presence in Iraq, which then provided a great excuse for the expansion of CSA forces in Arabia...which was not liked by many Arabs. Oil prices went up, and the Saudis began making suggestions as to the CSA perhaps reducing the number of troops stationed in Arabia.

With the discovery of a terrorist plot by an almost entirely Saudi group, an excuse was handy: although the terrorists were actually operating out of theocratic Afghanistan, and the initial mobilization was put into action under the pretext of extracting the terrorists from Afganistan, once a massive increase in forces in the Gulf had been deployed, it proved easy to "discover" direct ties between Saudi citizens and the terrorists, and to make demands as to full cooperation with CSA investigators that no Arab government could stand the humiliation of.

Unfortunately, although the late-90s collapse of the Soviet economy, the loss of their European empire and the ongoing economic crisis had left the Red superpower a near basket-case, there was such a thing as just too much to tolerate...

It is now 2003. Afghanistan remains a mess, and a distinct lack of cooperation re overflights on the part of Industan has required the "liberation" of part of Baluchistan. On the positive side, the CSA has obtained its main objective in occupying the Saudi oil fields. However, both the Soviets and the Anglo-French are now mobilizing forces of their own and issuing increasingly stiff diplomatic notes. The CSA government is betting that they are bluffing: the Soviets and Europeans are hardly going to start Great War III over the Saudis, right?

Bruce

PS - yes, no Saddam Hussein: I just couldn't stretch suspension of disbelief quite that far...

Mappy here.

Bruce

CSAMap2003.png

Last edited:
My take on Grey Wolf's dream / scenario, which, for lack of a better name, I will call "The Grand Duchy of Salonika (Napoleonic)". The presumed PoD is Napoleon and Tsar Alexander I agree in 1812 to partition the Ottoman Empire between them. Sixty-three years later, Britain, France, and Russia are the world's great powers, and Europe seems to teeter on the brink of the first major continental war since the end of the Napoleonic Wars. France has lost goodwill in Germany and Spain due to it's long occupation of Catalonia and the west bank of the Rhine, but in her ally, heavily industrialized Trebizond, unbeknownst outside the borders of Salonika, a state arsenal is preparing the first prototype of an armored traction engine that could change the face of war...

My take on Grey Wolf's dream / scenario, which, for lack of a better name, I will call "The Grand Duchy of Salonika (Napoleonic)". The presumed PoD is Napoleon and Tsar Alexander I agree in 1812 to partition the Ottoman Empire between them. Sixty-three years later, Britain, France, and Russia are the world's great powers, and Europe seems to teeter on the brink of the first major continental war since the end of the Napoleonic Wars. France has lost goodwill in Germany and Spain due to it's long occupation of Catalonia and the west bank of the Rhine, but in her ally, heavily industrialized Trebizond, unbeknownst outside the borders of Salonika, a state arsenal is preparing the first prototype of an armored traction engine that could change the face of war...

Where be the map, lad? ;)

Wowzers! I like how Austria consists of Bohemia :p. Why wouldn't they rename it Bohemia?

Didn't think of that. This isn't really an era I'm an expert on. Technically they do still have the eastern half or so of Austria, including Vienna, but in hindsight it's pretty much Bohemia now. Some other things are probably off too, particularly the borders of the German states, and I don't know how to do curved text in Inkscape, if there is a way to, so I rather sloppily did it by hand. I also now realize I forgot to put the color for Bourbon Italy in the key. For the record, it's aligned with the Entente.

French Eastern Med. seems a little unlikely too, but that may be because nobody's used to seeing Anatolia colonised :D. Very cool.

French Anatolia seemed out there to me too, but is an integral part of the scenario. And thanks. :)

Shouldn't Bourbon Italy be a member of the "Entente" (an ill-fitting name for an anti-French alliance)?

Didn't think of that. This isn't really an era I'm an expert on. Technically they do still have the eastern half or so of Austria, including Vienna, but in hindsight it's pretty much Bohemia now. Some other things are probably off too, particularly the borders of the German states, and I don't know how to do curved text in Inkscape, if there is a way to, so I rather sloppily did it by hand. I also now realize I forgot to put the color for Bourbon Italy in the key. For the record, it's aligned with the Entente

I'm sure the new Bohemian leadership will make good use of the universities in Vienna then :p. I wouldn't worry too much about the borders of Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.