Weekly Flag Challenge: New Challenges & Previous Winners

can someone send me a private message on a program that makes these maps please! I would like to try and make my own flags

Don't need to PM you anything to tell you that the best results you get from using a vector editor. InkScape is free and open source, and generally awesome. Google it.

Winner Flag Challenge 46

It seems I won the latest challenge. Thank you for the votes!

Seeing the discussion on the voting thread I have decided to hand over
the next flag challenge to Iserlohn. Good luck!

Bangla.jpg

Flag Challenge #47

CHALLENGE: "Swiss Neutrality"

Design an alternate flag of Switzerland or a successor state of the Swiss Confederacy!

Basic challenge, just simple mapmaking ;)

FLAG CHALLENGE #48

CHALLENGE: "Romanus Orientalis"

POD: Rome expands much further than otl, eventualy encompassing most of Europe, Africa and Asia (to Japan), lasting for several hundred years longer (1436 otl). However, like otl, they eventually crumbled due to infighting, political clashes, religious tourmoil, nationlism of their conquered states, and all out civil war. However in northerastern/eastern China the empire survived, reabsorbing the territories around it (Korea, Japan, Manchuria, etc) , before losing Japan to rebellion.

Design a flag for either of these two nations:
  • A Roman-Chinese empire based in northeastern/eastern China, Korea, Southern Manchuria and, formally, Japan around 504 N.I (New Imperial Calender - 1940 otl)
  • Or a 575 N.I (21st centuary - 2011 otl) Roman-Japanese Republic, having recently liberated itself from the previous Roman-Chinese Empire 13 years previously
Entries in before Monday, 28 of june, at 12 pm GMT (midnight)

Also be creative...include chinese, japense, etc, elements into the flag...dont just make it roman

Last edited:
FLAG CHALLENGE #49

Union of White Peoples

The POD is simple: less aboriginal or/and black immigration, more white colonists in South African with more anti-imperial attitude. Tea party in Cape Town ??

Your task is to create flag of new Union state of South African Colonies witch in time could emerge as a new World Empire... rest is in your hands.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
FLAG CHALLENGE #49

The voting is over now, and it seems I won again, Tank-you all for votes :)

Seeing the voting results (and his flag) I have decided to hand over the next flag challenge to Akkismat. Good luck!

attachment.php

The Filibuster Republic

Thank you fbwr for the opportunity and congrats btw for your win.

My flag challenge is one that was suggested before by Trovador:

The Filibuster Republic: the XIX century was full of ambitious adventurers, personal armies and unstable non-civilized regions. The result of these things was some very short-lived and unusual nations, such as the Republic of Sonora, the Republic of Acre and the Kingdom of Sarawak. Create a flag for a (OTL or ATL) "Filibuster" state that manages to survive - it doesn't have to survive until present day, but must exist for over 30 years.

Deadline will be Tuesday 26th of July 24:00 (GMT+1).

Success all!

Last edited:
Congrats for fbwr for winning flag challenge 50!

Looking forward to the next challenge.

Flag_of_the_Commonwealth_of_Madagascar.png

Last edited:
Thank-you very much Akkismat.

I've decided to pass my right for a new Challenge to... Eigenwelt as I liked his work the best (although I would make it slightly different), someone witch such an ideas should have chance.

I've decided to pass my right for a new Challenge to... Eigenwelt

First let me thank everyone who voted for FBWR for unintentionally granting me this honor. I'd also like to congratulate FBWR for a well deserved win and a beautiful flag.

As I was passed this challenge because the winner admired my flag, I'd like to base my challenge on an idea inspired by one of the other contestants. Sovereign's wonderful backstory of the Principality of Poiras contained a character who spawned a flag out of his own sheer audacity.

This shall be immortalized in Weekly Flag Challenge 51: Wait, what?!

The King tapped his fingers upon his throne. It was a slow day, and he spent it lazily staring out the windows of his palace at the horizon. Slowly, in the distance, a shape began to form. Maybe it was a ship sailing into the bustling harbor, ensigns fluttering in the breeze; maybe an army marching towards him with ill intent, standards at the fore; or even perhaps it was just a diplomatic limo winding through the streets, flying a flag upon its antennae. At this distance it really is just so hard to make out what was approaching.

But what couldn't be mistaken was the flag they were flying. No one could mistake the flag of... um... actually, what was that flag? The King beckoned an advisor to him.

"That flag, over there, to whom does it belong?"

The advisor whispered an answer in his ear. The king began to nod knowingly...

"Wait, what?!"

Now the advisor nodded, and again whispered the answer in his liege's ear.

"...really?"

Again came a nod.

"Huh. Well that's new."

------------------

Your challenge is to design a flag that an individual, group, or nation could only require through audacity and chutzpah. Historical or logical plausibility is not required, but ASB/sci-fi/fantasy is not allowed. If someone was bold enough or crazy enough to proclaim it, it needs a flag. Are you bold and crazy enough to make it?

Examples: war ensign of the Quaker navy, flag of the People's Republic of Lemony Fresh, standard of Imperial Helgoland

Flag Challenge 51 has an official winner: The Flag of Upper Connecticut.

Congratulations Benkarnell!

attachment.php

Thanks, Eigenwelt!

On to Challenge #52:

L'État, C'est Moi

Design a flag that is inextricably associated with a cult of personality. When people see the flag, they instantly think of this charismatic leader. The cult of personality can be an official state-sponsored program, an opposition group, a violent resistance movement, a literal cult... but it needs a larger-than-life man or woman at its center, and that person needs a flag.

Deadline: 12:00 Midnight on Friday, August 19, 2011 GMT (8:00 PM EDT)

Post flags and discussion in the Discussion and Entries thread.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. Coming up with an idea was difficult this time.

I wanted to do a flag challenge inspired by the recent vexillogical change in Libya, but it seems a that was done in February. So I've modified the challege:

Weekly Flag Challenge 53: So you say you want an evolution...

Your challenge, should you accept and submit, is to show the evolution of a current national flag from its present version to a new version after a change in government. This could be a regime change, revolution, election, abolishment/institution of a monarchy, etc.

Submissions should include a minimum (and recommended) two flags. Before and after. Please submit your flag(s) as one image. This can be a diagram showing the evolution, or simply two flags stacked horizontally or vertically with a small separation.

Weekly Flag Challenge 53: So you say you want an evolution...

Congratulations to JJDXB for winning this week with his Flag of the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Looking forward to the next challenge.

And here is the winning flag(s):

UKFG2.png

Thank you, Eigenwelt.

FLAG CHALLENGE Nº54 The Inconceivable Union

The unthinkable has happened. The two great rivals of *insert region/continent* have united under a single government in this time of hardship. Their citizens are now citizens of a superstate (perhaps an exaggeration depending on your choice) that no one had thought possible. Despite the bad blood of many, many years (even perhaps centuries), the move is supported across the board as a recognition of the great warming in relations between their nations in recent years.

There is no specific POD for this, so long as the nations that happen to be great rivals actually were/are great rivals in OTL. E.g. England/UK and France, Venice and Genoa, Iran and Iraq, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan ( ;) ) etc.

Design a flag for this "Inconceivable Union", brought about by the realisation that without said Union, their nations would fall, be it to war, disease, famine or otherwise.

Deadline 19th September, 23:59 GMT

Last edited:
We have a winner :D

Atlantic Kingdom - Reino del Atlántico by follow_by_white_rabbit!

attachment.php

Congratulations, and I look forward to the next challenge :D

United East Asia

FLAG CHALLENGE 55

Not long ago we were struggle on flag thread where we reunited Dekan Subcontinent. Now lest conquer new more complex challenge. Since end of Korean and Vietnamese wars eastern and south-eastern Asia are rather stable place dominated by three local powers - China, Japan and S.Korea.

Your task is to create flag for superantional organisation which emerge after some past/future "catastrophe" and changed this wasteland to flourish community or hegemonus empire.

Maps, additional flags, flags' evolutions and other graphic are welcome but remember that only final stage flag will be accept as an entry and as so must cover greater part of submitted image.

Ready... Steady... Go !!

(lets make one week as time limit - 04.10.2011)

Last edited:
Flag Challenge №55 and 56

So... I won again :) Thank-you all for votes and your entries. Here is a wining flag:

attachment.php

and here is next challenge:

Flag Challenge №56: Difference engine

In novel "The Difference Engine" by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, authors describe a Victorian Britain in which great technological and social change has occurred after entrepreneurial inventor Charles Babbage succeeded in his ambition to build a mechanical computer (actually his analytical engine rather than the difference engine).

The Industrial Radical Party, led by a Lord Byron who had not died in the Greek War of Independence, came to power.

Your task is to create flag of Industrial Radical Party (or it's successor in present times).
IRP followers believe in:
  • fast and radical modernisation of British Empire based on possibilities given by Babbage's machines,
  • ultimate power of human mind and common sense as main force leading to progress,
  • utilitarian concept of society

IRP is in opposition both to Tory (because of their conservative attitude to all changes) and Wigs (because of their moderate attitude to some changes). Moreover IRP runs constants struggle with trade unions and Labours.

You have one week (till 19\10 23:50 CET).

Ready - Steady - GO !!

Last edited: