Alternate Banknotes and Coins Thread

Long life to King Bean!

ironicPound.jpg

USA_AltBanknote10.png

I like this one, even if it was first posted a couple of years ago. This is the sort of thing I could use for American currency in the AHN Unvierse; blue instead of green.

Hapsburg

Banned
Or it uses "republic" in the 18th century (and mediaeval) meaning- a state under the rule of law.

Last edited:

Highlander

Banned
I just found this the other day. An incredible piece of art by itself, but the really neat thing is that it is completely hand made. No computers, only traditional techniques. Complete with security marks like watermarks, tactile elements, see-through images and invisible UV ink.

Very inspiration.

21_handmade-01.jpg

21_handmade-03.jpg

21_handmade-07.jpg

bughynotes2010sereies1.png

Ah, Yes, sorry for the size... i'm afraid this is for actual use, and besides what you see a long message in invisible ink is added after printing, detailing the fines for attempted reproduction as well as an excerpt from an Hungarian poem handwritten (the originalis, we actually stamp it on.) with several deliberate mistakes for forgery prevention. Sadly, as my micronation exists as of now only on paper, this is simply used around the house... if your wondering, a Bughy is equal to a little bit more than half an USD.

I like this one, even if it was first posted a couple of years ago. This is the sort of thing I could use for American currency in the AHN Unvierse; blue instead of green.

Me too. Has a "more European" and colourful appearance, IMHO. :) The classic green US bills are OK, but they feel kind of archaic to look at these days. More dynamic-looking banknotes would really be interesting.

Ah, Yes, sorry for the size... i'm afraid this is for actual use, and besides what you see a long message in invisible ink is added after printing, detailing the fines for attempted reproduction as well as an excerpt from an Hungarian poem handwritten (the originalis, we actually stamp it on.) with several deliberate mistakes for forgery prevention. Sadly, as my micronation exists as of now only on paper, this is simply used around the house... if your wondering, a Bughy is equal to a little bit more than half an USD.

And I thought the Pengő has a strange history behind it ! :eek: :D

Last edited:
Also posted these in the "things that look like AH, but aren't" thread.

I could think of two TLs where one could find the following notes:

1. A TL where Ivory Coast adopts its own franc upon independence instead of retaining the West African CFA Franc

2. A TL where World War II goes on for much longer and the Vichy French regime maintains control whilst the Free French and the African allies print "resistance money" (or "Monnaie de la résistance"):

1374450799.jpg

1296202421d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.gif

The following images could be from a TL where monopoly-themed money is prevalent (note the difference between the actual colour scheme of the notes below and the designs above):

2101992446.jpg

53028191.jpg

In reality these notes are the "Monnaie ivoirienne de la résistance" that the rebel leader (for that is what he is and the official Ivorian army is now the rebel army) Laurent Gbagbo had been attempting to introduce in order to get around the financial straitjacket that his regime has been placed in by international institutions and the West African central bank. To see more just look for "Monnaie ivoirienne de la résistance" or "MIR Ivoirien" in Google.

Perhaps it's me, but they look kind of thin, papery and fake. I'm sure they are real money, they just look so unsatisfying weak :)

I made a few alternate coins for my ASB European Crimson Skies TL already two years ago, but I didn't post them here because I think they need more polish. I've made up my mind though about posting the more decent ones.

First up, the coins of the short-lived Šariš/Sáros Republic of Councils (a mildly alternate analogue of the OTL Slovak Republic of Councils, but smaller in territory). A "5 Crowns" coin with Antonín Janoušek, a Czech supporter of commie regimes in the successor states of Austria Hungary :

5 korún Šarišskej republiky rád (Antonín Janoušek).png

Last edited:
The Šariš/Sáros Republic of Councils strikes again, now with a "10 Crowns" coin showing none other than ol' Béla Kún himself !

As for why the coins are only in Hungarian : Of course, this tiny would-be country is purely a puppet state of the Hungarian Republic of Councils (that's why Kún is making an appearance on its coins even though he's been in the HRC the entire time, much like in OTL). One difference from OTL is the very existence of the coins and the lack of effort at translating them into the Šariš dialect of Slovak (unlike most other propaganda leaflets and documents produced by both the OTL and ATL short-lived regime).

EDIT : Damn, those coins really need more polish ! I've got a typo in the country's name on both of them ! :D (An extra s in the word for "republic".) Maybe I could blame it on "rushed production at the mint" or something... :D

10 korún Šarišskej republiky rád (Béla Kún).png

Last edited:
OK, now for the 1930s coins of the Košice City State, a.k.a. Cassovia. The coins mostly reference historical figures and important buildings or events from the city's past. Here are 10 Cassovia florins with Sigismund I. of Luxembourg (obverse) and the "Levoča House" from the 15th century (reverse) :

10 florénov (Žigmund Luxemburský a Levočský dom) - 2. verzia.png

Last edited: