Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

They're coming!

Draw a map describing an invasion of a region, country, empire, continent.
It could be raids, migrations (great invasions-like), pirates.
The contester can show military campaign to stop it, the road taken by invaders, the sites plundered, etc.
Or the the direct consequences (as new kingdoms, commerical roads, linguistic map etc.) but not the situation after the invasions are finished.
The map can describe the failure of an OTL invasion.
No ASB (including martian invasions) or FH. No post 1600 PODs. The invaders must not to be a soldiers of a foreign power, so no annexations at the benefit of scandinavia for vikings by exemple.

Krall

Banned
So when do we start voting for 32?

When I post the voting thread, which should be in an hour or two. I would have done it earlier today, but for most of today I've been either sleeping, gardening, or writhing in the pain that now plagues my lumbar region.

I'm planning on using Scarecrow's "The Pilgrimage" suggestion for MotF 33, as it seems to have the most support.

I have a suggestion:

The Aftermath of Falling Stars

Make a map of a post-apocalyptic city, region, or country. The apocalypse in question can be a natural disaster, an apocalyptic war, or anything that leaves the world or large parts of it uninhabitable and causes most major governments to collapse.

Peace Treaty

Map showing 1 or more proposed divisions of territory of the losing power(s).
Should be a minimum of 10 years since POD.

Krall

Banned
The voting for Motf 31: All You Can Annex Buffet is over (actually, it's been over for a week now, but I forgot to announce the winner earlier)! And the honoured winner is:

Nymain1!

Nymain1 hasn't participated in a MotF for some time, but his entry for this round was extremely well made and well designed. Depicting the defeat of the Danelaw in Britain by Northumbria, Mercia and Wessex, and the territorial concessions subsequently imposed on the Danes, the map's quality and level of detail rightfully earned Nymain1 his victory. Well done, old chap!

In other news:

Hey, I think we should extend this fortnights competition for an extra week. It's a good challenge, but I think people are busy and by this stage we should normally have a few entries. I have an idea bubbling in my brain but it's not yet fully formed, I'm far more likely to get something together with some more time.

A people, a history: Create a map showing either the area of a cultural group at the date of the map's creation, with the cultural group's divisions, and possibly a nation that corresponds to the culture, or a map showing the history of this cultural groups expansion and/or contraction throughout time, and possibly a current-as-of-the-map nation as well.

The best alternate timeline in the world, but this is just a tribute: Create a map of someone else's ATL. Probably-obviously, you cannot make a map of a year that they made a map of.

Dancing with the Devil

A map depicting an uneasy alliance between a liberal democracy and a totalitarian state (theocratic, fascist, communist, your choice). This can be a temporary wartime alliance (e.g. the Western allies with the Soviets) or a peacetime agreement to cooperate for mutual benefit (e.g. American support of the Saudis in exchange for oil). Use of aliens against which all humans must unite (a la WorldWar) is allowed but discouraged. No limit on the date, but it should probably be in the last few centuries since before then liberal democracies really didn't exist. Although I suppose one could interpret "liberal democracy" rather loosely to get an earlier date.

The voting for Motf 31: All You Can Annex Buffet is over (actually, it's been over for a week now, but I forgot to announce the winner earlier)! And the honoured winner is:

Nymain1!

Nymain1 hasn't participated in a MotF for some time, but his entry for this round was extremely well made and well designed. Depicting the defeat of the Danelaw in Britain by Northumbria, Mercia and Wessex, and the territorial concessions subsequently imposed on the Danes, the map's quality and level of detail rightfully earned Nymain1 his victory. Well done, old chap!

In other news:

How bad is it that a map which did not meet the game criteria won the contest?

My suggestions
The Culture of those Lands -Do an culture map.
Hope of A Nation-Do an map in an ATL where someone makes an map showing the territorial dreams of the nation. Make the map that the person makes. Example, Brittania's territorial dreams is all of Pictia
The Nationwank- Maybe an good old-fashioned wank coud look good?
Through Space to Unknown Lands-Do a map of a planet with colonies on it.

Krall

Banned
Hey, I think we should extend this fortnights competition for an extra week. It's a good challenge, but I think people are busy and by this stage we should normally have a few entries. I have an idea bubbling in my brain but it's not yet fully formed, I'm far more likely to get something together with some more time.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea - I had really expected some entries by now and am honestly surprised by their absence. I'll extend the deadline to the 2nd of April, and hopefully we'll get a decent number of entries before then.

Dancing with the Devil

A map depicting an uneasy alliance between a liberal democracy and a totalitarian state (theocratic, fascist, communist, your choice). This can be a temporary wartime alliance (e.g. the Western allies with the Soviets) or a peacetime agreement to cooperate for mutual benefit (e.g. American support of the Saudis in exchange for oil). Use of aliens against which all humans must unite (a la WorldWar) is allowed but discouraged. No limit on the date, but it should probably be in the last few centuries since before then liberal democracies really didn't exist. Although I suppose one could interpret "liberal democracy" rather loosely to get an earlier date.

That sounds pretty good. It could certainly apply to many different situations throughout recent history, allowing for a wide variety of maps.

I have a suggestion:

The Aftermath of Falling Stars

Make a map of a post-apocalyptic city, region, or country. The apocalypse in question can be a natural disaster, an apocalyptic war, or anything that leaves the world or large parts of it uninhabitable and causes most major governments to collapse.

Could it be a Zombie outbreak, or are ASBs out of the question?