Weekly Flag Challenge: New Challenges & Previous Winners

Sorry I forgot to post the winners of the previous challenge: Alternate IGOs.

The winners were JJDXB's Greater Asian Prosperity Sphere...
attachment.php

...and rvbomally's Confederation of Nations.
attachment.php

Congratulations to both of them! And sorry again for my forgetfulness :eek:.

NEW CHALLENGE

A NON-GOVERNMENTAL FLAG CHALLENGE:

Design a flag for an ATL shipping company or other corporation, established after 1763, that is not government owned or operated (i.e. a private sector commercial enterprise). When presenting your entry, indicate the:
-Name of the company/corporation flying the flag
-Year it was established (and, if applicable, the year it ceased to exist)
-Industry the company/corporation is associated with
-Owner(s) of the company/corporation
-Location of its main headquarters
-Years during which this particular flag was used

Post your entry here Ü https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=136905&page=26

The deadline for submitting your entry is Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 11:00pm EDT.

Flag Challenge

Thank you very much.

I will use a 7 entry -3 voting days format, to allow more people to participate. :D

Challenge:

Design a flag for a surviving ancient empire of East Asia. This includes Qing China, but not pre-Meiji Japan.

Preferably, include some worded description of the flag with explained symbolism (though this is not necessary)

The deadline is the 16th November, midnight GMT.

Although I was the winner:

KHMER EMPIRE

attachment.php

I will pass the challenge along to Akkismat:

Greater Korean Empire

attachment.php

Congratulations!

Sorry about the delay in posting the next challenge:

It was a suggestion by Benkarnell and came second in the poll which flag contest should be started.

The challenge is as following:

DESIGN A PERSONAL STANDARD FOR A HEAD-OF-STATE
[FONT=&quot]possessing an obsolete or unusual title - a modern archon, First Consul, high king, Big Brother, etc. - of any country.

Submission can be done the next following week.

For some inspiration look up the following link: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Head_of_state_standards
[/FONT]

Deadline has passed and there was only the one entry done by myself.
I guess I "won" by default.

I will be very busy with work in the months to come, so I will pass the challenge along to JJDXB just as he did with the last contest.

Extremely sorry for the delay, but I thought we should wait a while until I post, seeing as the last few challenges garnered little attention.

NEW CHALLENGE 21 January 2011

Deadline for Entries - Midnight GMT
25th January (may be extended in event of insufficient entries)

POD:

3rd May 1960: The existing EEC Heads of State have formally approved the induction of 4 new members : Denmark, Norway, Ireland and the UK despite rumours President de Gaulle of France would veto the applications.

1981: The Hellenic Republic, Finland and Sweden are admitted to the EU.

1982: Austria joins the EU.

1986: Portugal and Spain accede after Franco and Salazar are overthrown, while a now United Republic of Cyprus is admitted after tensions are finally resolved with EU mediation.

1st January 2004: Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania join the EU.

1st January 2007: Romania and Bulgaria are formally admitted to the EU.

Challenge:

Design a flag for the European Union. This may be 'submitted' in the original 1960s contest, or as an entry for a competition held in 2007 for a new flag to be introduced if referendums to be held in 2015 approve federalisation.

Map Key:

Dark Blue - Member nations before 2004
Sea Green - Members admitted 2004
Light Blue - Members admitteed 2007
Light Green - Countries which have formally submitted applications
Dark Green - Countries expressing interest in joining

Submit Entries here

Europe Challenge.png

Last edited:
I've decided that since there are only two entries, I will extend the deadline an extra 3 days. Please take part if you're interested. I myself will post my entry at some point :)

While I was the winner:

My design:

attachment.php

I will pass the challenge over to the runner up, Laqueesha. Congrats!

Laqueesha's Design:

attachment.php

The winner is Benkarnell and his design. Please submit a new challenge or hand the challenge over to the runner-up.

Last edited:
I'm deeply honored. :)

For this one, I'd like to honor recent events as well as go back to some earlier challenges by naming a region but leaving the specific history up to you.

New challenge: February 13, 2011
Design a flag for a post-revolutionary Arab country. The place, time, and nature of the revolution are up to you, but the POD must be after 1850.

Deadline: Midnight on February 21, 2011, GMT (7 PM on Feb. 20 EST)

Post your entries here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=136905

Good luck and بالتوفيق!