Map Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone have a good concept for a map? I just can't find one now.

A present day Grosduchland Europe that denies the Nazis and all their horrors ever to have existed?

A "Germany wins ww1, loses ww2 scenario?"

A communist-USA-Nazist Three way civil war in the US while the Nazis control Europe?

Basically anything that seems highly unlikely, yet could happen if all the right things lined up. Can't wait the see THIS map! :D

Most of my efforts so far have been with alt timeline flags. This is my first serious attempt at an alt timeline map. The map itself spawned from the US and CAN flags, and grew to include some ideas that have been floating around in my head regarding different western states. The rest of the map developed from a rough brainstorm of the resulting butterflies. Plausibility is not claimed, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if many elements are branded ASB. Only the US internal borders are shown, as in the ATL, this map was produced by and for an American audience.

The POD has not been specifically pin-pointed, ~1812, give or take a few years. The map depicts North America approximately a century later.

The rather bloodless loss of New England in the years following the W.o.1812 left the US somewhat paranoid about further secessions. Instead of the balance of power shifting pro-south, it went anti-slavery much sooner, resulting in a low grade civil war which progressed more as an armed governmental persecution of those who resisted the steady progression of anti-slavery legislation. Die hard slave holders fled to West Florida, as the US government became more militant and paranoid of European intervention in the western hemisphere. During the philosophical and political turmoil following the loss of New England, the new flag was adopted. Weakened in regards to OTL in the first half of the century, it set up Texas and California as aligned buffer states to protect it from an increasingly strong Mexico aligned with Imperial France. By the end of the century the US had turned N.E. from neutral-British aligned to neutral-American aligned, secured the pacific northwest, settled and industrialized the west slightly faster than OTL.

The Kingdom of Canada and the Boreals (the Boreals are the combined name for the NW territories, and the lands west of the continental divide, including OTL Alaska). The royal Canadian family is a cadet branch of the British throne.

Mexico is a Federal Empire, which acts much like an OTL constitutional monarchy. The Emperor is a hereditary title, constitutionally responsible for safeguarding the freedoms of his citizens, and facilitating the cooperation of the federal states. The area under occupation in the north east is controlled by separatist rebels who still consider themselves subjects of the emperor, but not of the federal government. The conflict is currently at a temporary cease fire.

The Yucatan was a republic, but is currently under a progressive military junta.

...and I've run out of time to type before I have to leave for the day. If anyone is curious, just ask and I'll explain what I can given the very sketchy outline I came up with.

And now the map: (this is a small low rez version. the original is 2.5x this size)

FinalMapSmall_lowrez.jpg

Most of my efforts so far have been with alt timeline flags. This is my first serious attempt at an alt timeline map. The map itself spawned from the US and CAN flags, and grew to include some ideas that have been floating around in my head regarding different western states. The rest of the map developed from a rough brainstorm of the resulting butterflies. Plausibility is not claimed, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if many elements are branded ASB. Only the US internal borders are shown, as in the ATL, this map was produced by and for an American audience.

The POD has not been specifically pin-pointed, ~1812, give or take a few years. The map depicts North America approximately a century later.

The rather bloodless loss of New England in the years following the W.o.1812 left the US somewhat paranoid about further secessions. Instead of the balance of power shifting pro-south, it went anti-slavery much sooner, resulting in a low grade civil war which progressed more as an armed governmental persecution of those who resisted the steady progression of anti-slavery legislation. Die hard slave holders fled to West Florida, as the US government became more militant and paranoid of European intervention in the western hemisphere. During the philosophical and political turmoil following the loss of New England, the new flag was adopted. Weakened in regards to OTL in the first half of the century, it set up Texas and California as aligned buffer states to protect it from an increasingly strong Mexico aligned with Imperial France. By the end of the century the US had turned N.E. from neutral-British aligned to neutral-American aligned, secured the pacific northwest, settled and industrialized the west slightly faster than OTL.

The Kingdom of Canada and the Boreals (the Boreals are the combined name for the NW territories, and the lands west of the continental divide, including OTL Alaska). The royal Canadian family is a cadet branch of the British throne.

Mexico is a Federal Empire, which acts much like an OTL constitutional monarchy. The Emperor is a hereditary title, constitutionally responsible for safeguarding the freedoms of his citizens, and facilitating the cooperation of the federal states. The area under occupation in the north east is controlled by separatist rebels who still consider themselves subjects of the emperor, but not of the federal government. The conflict is currently at a temporary cease fire.

The Yucatan was a republic, but is currently under a progressive military junta.

...and I've run out of time to type before I have to leave for the day. If anyone is curious, just ask and I'll explain what I can given the very sketchy outline I came up with.

And now the map: (this is a small low rez version. the original is 2.5x this size)

That. is. beautiful. I just love that map. You said that the US set up the Republic of Texas and California. They probably would not set up these states, as Texas very much wanted to be a part of the US. They might do California though. As for the Republic of West Florida, if the US is a foreign oriented as you say, they would crush that nation, as it does not serve any defense purposes like Texas or California. However, you did mention it was ASB, and it is an awesome map. Keep up the good work! :D

Can someone here point me to a blank map of today where only the borders are drawn, ie. something without colors?

Or even better, can I make a map request?:)

And now the map: (this is a small low rez version. the original is 2.5x this size)]
We are in the presence of greatness...

That map is beautiful.

Most of my efforts so far have been with alt timeline flags. This is my first serious attempt at an alt timeline map.

For a first attempt, this is seriously AWESOME. Re Texas, I suggest as a fix that the earlier anti-slavery movement prevents the US from annexing Texas, (it pretty automatically went slave state OTL), which like West Florida would then become a refuge for slave-holders...

Bruce

A fine and beautiful thing

What a nice break from the endless parade of UCS world maps. My one complaint would be that the Confederacy of the Caribbean includes Spanish-speaking and English-speaking states, and since its majority Spanish, it would mean Spain taking Jamaica from the UK, which is just a little silly in the 19th Century.

For a first attempt, this is seriously AWESOME. Re Texas, I suggest as a fix that the earlier anti-slavery movement prevents the US from annexing Texas, (it pretty automatically went slave state OTL), which like West Florida would then become a refuge for slave-holders...

Bruce

I always thought that Texas, with oil as its main export product of the 20th century, would drift away from slave labor pretty quickly. The map is in 1916, so it would probably start shifting away from slave plantations around that time.

Is Greenmark Scottish or is (Sc) something else? by the way great map.

A map. . .
for any one interested.

I can see hints of plausibility and good borders in this map, which seems to be a rarity for first tries. As a general breakdown:

Good

-In general, the presence of sphere of influence and vassal markings.
-Japan
-South-East Asia
-France
-Iberia
-Britain
-Persia
-Austria
-Scandinavia
-India
-USA
-Central America (though not Mexico)

As they have borders that, though rough, look like they could be plausible if they were drawn better.

Not So Good

-Canada
-East Siberia
-Non-Mediterranean Africa
-South America
-Western North America

States here are either unworkable due to the climate (Canada, Siberia), or are too much like space-filling Empires.

Overall though, a good first attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.