Map Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might as well post this map, of a guess-the-POD sort. I was working on Europe, but lost interest.

The current year is AD 1800.

carolinana.PNG

anno_1250___romania_by_lscatilina-d374oqh.png

The Balkans and Anatolia in 1250

I propose to make a variant of the map continuation game, with map makers drawning a map based on the first one (so this one for this possible round), no matter the style, formal subject, etc, if the next map have a relation with the precedent.

By exemple : Political map of 1250 Romania -> Political map of 1280 Romania -> Religious map with important sites in 1280 Romania -> Turkish States in Anatolia in 1314 -> etc.

Sorry if it's too pretentious or made before, but i think it could be a good time.

[IMAGE]

I propose to make a variant of the map continuation game, with map makers drawning a map based on the first one (so this one for this possible round), no matter the style, formal subject, etc, if the next map have a relation with the precedent.

By exemple : Political map of 1250 Romania -> Political map of 1280 Romania -> Religious map with important sites in 1280 Romania -> Turkish States in Anatolia in 1314 -> etc.

Sorry if it's too pretentious or made before, but i think it could be a good time.

Good job with that map. How did you manage that level of detail?

Awesome map, the only issue I'd say it has is that the water and land colors are to similar and makes them sort of blend together ina confusing map.

Very nice indeed, LSC.

Inspired by this: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=28370

It's the future, but not our future. Humanity made it through the Scary Century with only a couple minor nuclear woops, and the interventionist, pro-technology great powers managed to deal with the effects of global warming without too much third-world ghastliness. Robots and cyborgs are plentiful (although true AI remains elusive), fusion now powers the world (although the colossal fusion power plants are even more capital-intensive than the old fission ones), and the human average lifespan now exceeds 130 years (although mutant new versions of the Common Cold still crop up).

Currently, things look hopeful, with three of the Great Powers now (more or less) democracies and the theocratic Chinese government not being the Spread It By Fire and Sword kind of theocracy. The current biggest worry is the cleanup of South Africa: long supported by the Reich, the South African "racial state" went into isolation after the Reich withdrew support, and finally crumbled in a civil war of genocidal savagery and mass ethnic cleansing finally put to a halt by forces from all four Powers.

Butterflies and a lack of a globalized economy meant that Chinese modernization didn't go as well as OTL, and what with the impact of global warming in the 21st century, things went pear-shaped for a while. China didn't quite reach the Number One brass ring in the 21st century, but there is still quite a bit of the 22nd to go, and they are certain than the many odd gods of their faith are on their side.

The US has managed to avoid population shrinkage due to continued immigration, and although still less populous than China is rather closer in numbers than it was a century and a half ago. It is no longer the world's largest economy, that being India, but having won the long struggle for influence with the Nazis in South America, the US and its allies are the most influential of the four Blocks. The British Commonwealth is pretty much a federal state nowadays. "Free France" or "France in Exile" finally saw the end of the German rule and democracy return to their homeland, but after a century and a half of cultural divergence and intermingling with the natives, the scattered francophone community finds itself unwilling to rejoin an alien homeland. (Something similar is the case with Christian and Buddhist Taiwan and the Falun-Gong like faith of China).

India dominates the "Indian Ocean Rim" and has the world's largest space-based industrial machine, but worries that its poisition as Number One is in danger. India passed China as the world's most populous nation a long time ago, but China is now catching up again, with the pro-natal religious culture of China growing while rich, secular India suffers from shrinking population: not so much of an isue currently, since Indian robotics and cybernetics are good enough to make up for a lack of labor, but the huge population of over 80-year-olds which own everything is alientated badly from their cyborged, gene-tweaked, drug-raptured great-grandchildren.

The Reich has democratized and given liberty to most of its subject peoples, although the closely integrated economy of the European area remains German-dominated. Greater Germany is densely populated, with over half the population of the US, thanks to a century and a half of vigorous (take-uncooperative-non-party-women-off-to-the-rape-camps-vigorous) pro-natalist policy, and remains a formidable industrial power, but in spite of great improvements in economic conditions since the end of "Fuhrer rule", Germans feel they have given up too much and slumped to second-rate status in the last half century. The plunge in the birth rate since democratization worries many German pundits, and the efforts by the French and others to reduce economic dependence on the Reich through closer economic ties with India and the US raises fears of a complete disintegration of the "German Sphere..."

Bruce

What software did you use?

This is a map from a No-World-War-(Yet) timeline I'm doing, the year 1926. Austria-Hungary gave Russia Galicia in exchange for support for annexing Serbia, and looks toward the Balkans, splitting control with Russia. The czar is still in power in a Russia that is mainly focused on the West, and less on the East, gifting Japan land around Manchuria as part of a no-hostilites pact. Japan, conquering Manchuria and supporting the Kuomingdang in China, (basically a Japanese puppet state) has its hands and ambitions full for now. Germany is focused on an expanding its overseas empire at the expense of Italy, annexing the Netherlands, and annexing part of Denmark. Sweden, feeling the pressure from Russia, stays united with Norway and conqueres the islands and capital of Denmark, winning Iceland and Greenland in the treaty. The US had, and lost, a Civil war much earlier, so Mexico stayed in control of California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico. The US controlled the whole of the Oregon territory, angry at British Support for the CSA. They also annexed part of Canada, but the Canadians bought Alaska from the Russians. France annexed Belgium and controls its overseas colonies. Although there is not yet a World War, one is certain in the near future. France and Italy hate Germany and Austria, and Britain supports France, worried about German expansionism. The US, very anti-England, supports the Germans. Russia and Japan are nuetral, for now. Sweden, angry at Russia, joins the Germans in hope that they will attack the Russians in case of war. This is probably ASB, but very cool nontheless. If I've forgotten anything, tell me and I'll edit the post accordingly. One thing hard to see on the map, after the fall of the Ottomans the Germans gained what is Israel OTL. Tell me what you think! :D

If the USA break-up the weaker successor states almost allways conquer some parts of Mexico or Canada.

Another example for my theory. :D
Otherwise good map.

Status
Not open for further replies.