Fear, Loathing and Gumbo on the Campaign Trail '72

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie Horton was not actually called "Willie" until that add, so maybe they select someone with a more "black-sounding" name. A "Reggie," "Benny," "Jimmy," "Huey," "Lincoln," "Clarence," "Leroy," or somesuch. And it should not come directly from the campaign but from some PAC.

Note the juxtaposition = “It's up to you to stop him” over the black convict’s mug shot. Directly targeted at white voters, especially in the South, but applicable nationwide. The picture is worth a thousand words.

Also, these are non-attributed (i.e. PAC or third party) ads; they don’t say vote for “X”, they just give a bad image of Reagan, hinting the voter should choose someone else.

A couple of things I forgot to mention.

George W Bush going into science fiction acting is a nice piece of irony considering all the jokes about Trip Tucker from "Enterprise" in OTL being essentially "President Bush in space".

Also, I don't think the Scottish Labour Party would be formed in TTL. OTL it broke off because the Labour government couldn't secure a devolved Scottish assembly. Here, though, Labour is in opposition so it's not like they could do that anyway.

I always thought Trip was a bit smarter than GW (Scotty to W's Kirk with the country twang), but its Hollywood for W for sure. Poppy can have his people call W's people and they'll take lunch at Spago.

SLP - Maybe, or maybe ITTL a protest movement and or frustration more in line with Scottish autonomy. Haven't explored that yet, but a thought that the violence in UK may encourage more Scottish politicians to seek an "apartness" from Westminster.

Settin' the Woods on Fire again

Gavin Ad:

Background: black and white photo of Charles Percy with Birch Bayh, Hubert Humphrey and Ted Kennedy, all smiling.

Voice over:
“Senator Charles Percy voted with Hubert Humphrey, Birch Bayh and Ted Kennedy 86% of the time.

“If he votes like a Liberal Democrat, why isn’t he running as a Liberal Democrat?”

Switch to color photo of James Gavin with Republican legislators:

“Let’s join the President in preserving the values that made this country great.”

FIN

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reagan ad:

Background: Black-and-White photo of a grim-faced President Gavin with Henry Kissinger in the background.

Voice over: “Since November 1973 unemployment has risen, the economy has faltered and millions of Americans have lost hope.”

“In November 1973 Portugal, Greece and Turkey were U.S. allies, now we’ve lost them to Communist intrigue.”

“How much more can we afford to lose?”

Switch to color clip of Reagan speaking; flags in the background.

Reagan: “Together we can restore hope and prosperity to America. By ending big government and standing-up to the Communist challenge we will regain our nation’s strength and bring back prosperity. Wont you join me in that mission?”

FIN

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Reagan Ad:

Ronald Reagan addresses the camera from a quasi-Oval Office style set. He is sitting on the edge of the desk and the flag is prominent behind him.

“My opponents want to confuse you about who I am and what I stand for. But there’s no mystery about who I am.

“My policy is to get government off your backs and put power and opportunity back into the hands of our citizens. Those were the values of our Founding Fathers, and they are what made America the greatest and freest nation in the world.”

“My opponents want to bring you more of the same. So ask yourself, are you better off today than you were four years ago?”

“Then ask if you want the same for the next four years.”

“If not, then I think you’ll agree that it’s time for a change.”

“Together, let’s make America great again.”

FIN

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Percy ad:

Background: Photos of Sen. Charles Percy:

Voice over: “Charles Percy served his country during World War II and lead a multi-million dollar company before entering public service. He understand what it is to manage a business and to produce results.”

“In the Senate, Charles Percy has consistently stood-up for the rights of small business and ordinary Americans. He has fought for more education funding for your children, and he has sponsored legislation to put the selection of judges above partisanship. Charles Percy does this to serve all Americans.”

Percy speaking: “The promise of America is open to all our citizens. My goal is to make that promise a reality for everyone.”

Voice over: “On (date) vote Charles Percy for President.”

FIN

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Percy ad:

Background: Black and White photo of an unsmiling Reagan

Voice over: “Ronald Reagan says he wants to turn Social Security over to the stock market.”

Background: Pictures of downcast and anxious traders on the floor of the NYSE

Voice over: “If the Social Security trust fund had been invested in the markets in 1972, it would have lost one-quarter of its value by today.”

”That’s one quarter of your retirement security gone under the Reagan plan.”

Film of Senator Percy addressing the camera.

Senator Percy: “No matter what I will protect your Social Security, because you worked hard for it. Mr. Reagan wants to turn it over to chance. That’s no way to treat those who have put their blood, sweat and tears into building this great nation. Join with me in protecting Social Security from reckless schemes.”

Voice Over: “On (date) vote Charles Percy for President.”

FIN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Askew Ad:

Background: Clip of George Wallace’s inauguration as Governor of Alabama in January 1963.

George Wallace: “Segregation today, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever!”

Background: Film of protesters being attacked by German Sheppard dogs.

Voice over: “This is the real George Wallace. He says he won’t lie to you and that he’s a new Wallace, yet he hasn’t repudiated his past stands on segregation, nor has he apologized to those he hurt. When asked where he stands today, he dodges and hides behind code words like 'order' and 'security.' ”

Background: Film of Wallace standing in the door of the University of Alabama in 1963.

“Does the new Wallace believe in American values, or will he still deny American citizens the right to go to school?”

Repeat of Wallace’s Segregation today etc. Line.

“So who is the real George Wallace?”

“On (date) vote for Reubin Askew; you know where he stands.”

FIN

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wallace ad:

Frames Wallace as he addresses the camera before a pastoral setting.

George Wallace: “In the past I may have said some things that upset people, but no one ever denied that George Corley Wallace fought hard for the ordinary people of Alabama. Just ask’em, they’ll tell you.

“Today Washington is snarled-up by a professional class o’ politocrats who do nothing but tax-tax-tax and tell you where you can or can’t send your kids school and bury our small businesses under a pile or regulations. Worse yet, the politocrats make money – big money – off the cozy inside deals they make for themselves and stick you with the bill.

“Well, that ain’t right and it’s not the real America. I want to end the rule of slick, deal-making politocrats and return our government to you, the people. Won’t you join me in that?”

Caption: George Wallace for President.

FIN

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Williams (radio ad/text also printed in local papers)

Williams:”My name is Jack Richard Williams and I am running in the Republican primaries for President. You’ve probably never heard of me. I was the Republican Governor of Arizona for two terms. That's
right, Arizona, the home of Senator Barry Goldwater senior.

“During my terms as Governor I cut taxes, toughened our state’s penalties for violent crime, and returned more authority to local governments over areas of education and allocation of local property taxes.

“Ronald Reagan was Governor of California during the same period, and he did none of these things. Instead, in his first year, he signed bills that loosened controls on abortion and increased the State deficit. As Governor, Ronald Reagan never cut a tax without increasing two others.”

“The last thing we need now are new taxes and higher deficits. As President I would cut taxes, reduce the deficit and return more of your money to you, just as I did for the citizens of Arizona.

“I’m Jack Richard Williams and I’m the true conservative running for President on the Republican ticket.”

FIN

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 9, 1976

The Florida Primary

Democrats:

George Wallace: 32%

Reubin Askew: 31%
Henry Jackson 19%
Ron Dellums 9%
Birch Bayh: 3%
Ellen McCormack: 3%
Calvin Rampton: 2%
Lloyd Bentsen: 1%
Milton Shapp: 0%
Sargent Shriver: 0%
Frank Church: 0%
Fred Harris: 0%

In 1972 Wallace had been defeated in the Florida primary by another Southern populist, John McKeithen, which was later recognized as the beginning of McKeithen’s coming out as a serious contender for the nomination. This time Wallace had the populist end of the field to himself and edged out the popular Governor of this state by only 1% of the vote. The reason it remained so close was attributed to Governor Askew having the home state advantage.

Wallace’s campaign team had learned from their 1972 experience and here, and in North Carolina, they undercut Askew by going to his right on law-and-order issues while criticizing his more conservative fiscal approach from the populist left as “big time Wall Street telling main street what to do with your money.”

As Wallace would say during his campaign (about Askew in particular, though he used this against Henry Jackson as well):

“If you want to vote for a Republican, then go vote for one. There’s a whole mess of ‘em running this year and they're all a bunch snake oil salesmen sellin' you the good for Wall Street brand of hokum. When I look at what Governor Askew (or Senator Jackson) wants I see only three letters G-O-P.

"You know, someone put out a TV ad asking why Charles Percy ain't runnin' as a Democrat. Well, I got to ask, why isn't this guy runnin' as a Republican. He sure does sound like old Dick Nixon and Ronnie Reagan. All that's missin' is the elephant.

"I’m not runnin’ to be a Wall Street lackey. I’m runnin’ for you, the people of main street America. That’s George Wallace’s priority.”

Jackson’s support was primarily among Jewish voters in the South of the State, while Dellums picked-up a considerable portion of the black vote.

Birch Bayh, Milton Shapp, Sargent Shriver, Frank Church and Fred Harris did not actively campaign in this contest.

Calvin Rampton announced on March 10 that he would suspend his campaign.

Republicans:

Ronald Reagan: 28%

James Gavin: 28%
Charles Percy: 19%
George Bush: 11%
Jack Williams: 9%
John Connally: 4%
Harold Stassen: 1%

The President and Ronald Reagan tied for first place, splitting 56% of the Republican vote, and the State's delegates.

While Reagan remained strong among conservatives, the President picked-up votes among more moderate Republicans and benefited from a strong turn-out among the State’s military population (including military retirees).

Percy and Bush split the remainder of Republican or “change” Republicans.

Jack Williams was successful in cutting into Reagan’s conservative support with his “I’m the real conservative appeal.” John Connally tried that too, but Williams proved better at winning over what have been described as “Wallace-type Republicans.”

John Connally withdrew from the contest in March 11.

Polling after the primary noted that the infamous “Spriggs” ad had an adverse effect on Reagan’s campaign, especially in the more conservative north and northwest areas of Florida. Polling also showed that retirees who voted in the Republican primary split between the President, Percy and Bush over concerns about Reagan’s position on Social Security.

George Wallace’s campaign also made use of the “Spriggs” ad to campaign on “tough-on-crime” issues in mainly white areas of the State.

March 16, 1976

The Illinois Primary:

Democrats:

Birch Bayh: 31%

George Wallace: 20%
Henry Jackson 12%
Reubin Askew: 12%
Ron Dellums 11%
Frank Church: 4%
Fred Harris: 4%
Ellen McCormack: 3%
Lloyd Bentsen: 1%
Milton Shapp: 1%
Sargent Shriver: 1%

Bayh campaigned heavily and swept up much of the liberal and Democratic regular support. Wallace did well in rural and suburban areas, while Jackson and Askew split more conservative Democratic constituencies. Dellums did well in inner city communities.

Fred Harris announced that he would suspend his campaign on March 17.

Republicans:

Charles Percy: 38%

Ronald Reagan: 27%
James Gavin: 15%
George Bush: 13%
Jack Williams: 6%

Charles Percy did well in his home state, where he enjoyed a strong base of support. Ronald Reagan took the conservative vote, but lost a slice of it to Jack Williams, whose results here and in Florida breathed some new life into his relatively small “guerrilla” campaign.

The President and Bush split the moderate Republican voters dissatisfied with Percy but unwilling to vote for either Reagan or Williams.

March 23, 1976

The North Carolina Primary:

Democrats:

George Wallace: 45%

Reubin Askew: 26%
Ron Dellums 12%
Birch Bayh: 6%
Frank Church: 4%
Ellen McCormack: 4%
Lloyd Bentsen: 2%
Henry Jackson 1%
Milton Shapp: 0%
Sargent Shriver: 0%

In 1972 Wallace narrowly defeated McKeithen in North Carolina, and this time he mobilized that support to overwhelm his nearest challenger, Reubin Askew.

Ron Dellums picked-up the black vote and the liberal “anti-cracker” vote more successfully than Birch Bayh (Bayh made only a few high profile appearances in North Carolina while Dellums actively campaigned in the state)

Frank Church also campaigned, cutting into support for Bayh as the establishment candidate.

Henry Jackson did not campaign in North Carolina.

Sargent Shriver actually dropped out of the race three days before the primary, but was still on the ballot.

Republicans:

James Gavin: 32%

Ronald Reagan: 28%
Charles Percy: 17%
Jack Williams: 12%
George Bush: 10%

The President benefited from the military vote in North Carolina, as well as the impact of the “Spriggs” ad.

Jack Williams also hurt Reagan. Although Reagan received overt support from North Carolina’s ultra-conservative Republican Senator Jesse Helms, Helms too bent to some of the doubts about Reagan’s conservative credentials and gave at least some covert support to the Williams campaign, accounting for Williams’ first double-digit result in any primary.

The President’s outright victory breathed new life into a campaign which was beginning to look like it might be fading.

Percy and Bush split the remaining moderate vote. At this point questions were being asked about the viability of George Bush’s campaign.

By the end of March the Republican contest was still a three man race between the President, Reagan and Percy, as they were about evenly matched in delegates, but Williams was making things increasingly difficult for Reagan.

George Wallace’s campaign style, which in the past had been very physical and active, was severely impeded by the fact that he was now confined to a wheelchair. Many commentators believed that he had skipped the Iowa and New Hampshire contests because it was nearly impossible for him to campaign in the heavy snow. (Although he got around snowy Boston and rural Massachusetts just fine).

The wheelchair was an obvious impediment to Wallace, and the Governor was in a great deal of physical discomfort. However, over the interceding four years since he had been shot (which included his 1974 campaign to be re-elected as Governor of Alabama) Wallace had learned how to use his voice to re-capture at least some of the Wallace impact of old. He made a point of never shying away from the fact that he was in a wheelchair, and would point out that a President needed more brain than brawn. Especially in Florida and North Carolina, Wallace’s old populist appeal resonated with white Democratic voters, and he made substantial inroads into white, working class areas in Illinois as he had in Massachusetts.

By the end of March he and Birch Bayh were dueling for the front runner position, though in the delegate count Wallace was ahead of Bayh. The Democratic nomination was now shaping-up as a Bayh-Wallace contest, with the others slipping into the also-ran position.

Reubin Askew, the kinder, gentler Southern Democrat who preached a program of fiscal responsibility and centrism was failing to catch on next to the resurgent Wallace. He also proved to be the less effective campaigner when matched with Wallace.

Wallace’s anti-“politocrats” theme caught on with voters, especially in Florida and North Carolina: the term politiocrat (a portmanteau of politician and bureaucrat) became the first widely used catch phrase of the 1976 election, and entered common usage as a derisive term for professional politicians. Jack Williams liked it so much he began to use it (although, unlike Wallace he emphasised the “crats” half to allude to Democrats in Washington) giving the term an even wider use in the campaign.

Well, now you've got me looking up the primary schedule in 1976.

April is Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, but I'm sure you knew that. :)

For the Democrats, I feel like Bayh will take Wisconsin (if he doesn't, he's in real trouble). Pennsylvania...hmm. Lots of rural conservatives and white ethnics. Massachusetts could be dismissed as a fluke, a technical victory over divided opposition. [1] If he can take Pennsylvania, though, he's real trouble. I'm still a little incredulous at the boll weevil's political resilience, but it seems no-one else on the Democratic side is tapping into populist anger (except Dellums, who's the wrong color).

I'm not sure what'll go on with the Republicans, though Scranton may be of help to the President in Pennsylvania. George Bush needs to make a choice -- Williams may be a drain on Reagan but Bush is a much bigger drain on Gavin and Percy both. On the other hand, his endorsement would be invaluable to either man.

Good gumbo!

[1] Speaking of which, in OTL the Democrats didn't adopt their current system of (effectively) proportional representation in the primaries until 1988, as the price of peace with Jesse Jackson. If Wallace ends up getting a huge chunk of delegates IITL because the "mainstream" candidates split the vote, might they adopt that system earlier? (This is assuming Wallace doesn't win, in which case...no, best not think it. The OTL election has me depressed enough.)

Hmmm...

My suspicions for the endgame...

1) GAVIN/PERCY vs. WALLACE/??? (At the moment, Askew, the obvious VP candidate is probably out. For some reason, I'm leaning towards Dellums, as a show that this is a new George Wallace. But then, that's probably crazy talk.) A good blend of drama and suspense, if a tad predictable.

2) GAVIN/PERCY vs. BAYH/???

3) PERCY/BUSH vs. WALLACE/???

4) PERCY/BUSH vs. BAYH/???

5) REAGAN/??? vs. BAYH/???

6) REAGAN/??? vs. WALLACE/??? I call this the Armageddon option.

Has there been any agreement between Spain, Morocco and Mauritania on the division of Western Sahara, as in OTL?

The revelation of past CIA involvement in assassinations could result in Agnew denouncing the "liberals" for plotting against good Christian anti-communists. (Trujillo and Diem were both killed on Kennedy's watch.)

Can we expect a Gavin Doctrine?

Just how far has the Lesser Mao gone in emptying the cities? I ask because there was so much industry in them already that a full evacuation could have led to the collapse of the regime itself. Also, much on western and northern China is desert, with oasis-cities being the only inhabitable places.

What's 'Daffy's angle on the eastern Mediterranean situation?

The Spriggs ad may result in Dellums once again "siding" with Reagan.

Any news from Argentina?

Since he's already backing the INLA, could we see Goncalves, possibly the Cubans as well, lending support to ETA (that would complicate things with the French) and Marxist groups in Spain, France, Italy, and Morocco? Maybe set up a Galician equivalent of ETA? Press the Portuguese claim to Olivenca?

What are Mitterrand's intentions regarding the death penalty and the force de frappe? IIRC, the French Socialists were going through an anti-nuclear phase in the '70s.

Speaking of the death penalty, what's happening to that issue in the United States?

3 words: high-speed rail.

Won't Soviet support for the jingoistic Turkes undermine some of the support for the Communists in Greece?

Hadn't Turkey switched to limited poppy cultivation for morphine by this point? Is the heroin leaving Turkey coming from the east or has domestic production resumed?

What is the post-ceasefire situation in the Sinai and Suez? Also, a rough outline or map of the occupation zones in Syria would be helpful.

Enver Hoxha was very opposed to Nixon's visit to China, which might make Albania the only country that the Lesser Mao doesn't see as an enemy. Could there be an attempt to imitate China's Year Zero in Albania?

Did Tito put the new Yugoslav constitution in place?

How large is the Turkish-Cypriot federal entity compared to OTL Northern Cyprus? Does it control Varosha? Kokkina? Northern Nicosia?

One thing I love about this TL is checking out events and assassinations is to check which ones you reversed, which ones you left the same (sometimes quite to my surprise) and which ones you flat out made up.

Meanwhile, holy crap China really does look like something out of James Bond! Even Tom Clancy wouldn't go for a dictator of China that batshit-insane :eek:!!! Considering that if China suffers total meltdown in the 1980s or 90s it means a frakkin 1/5 of the Whole World population going down, this timeline is just getting dimmer and dimmer.

Finally, I like how a lot of your cultural stuff comes from the Zeitgeist of today, but plausibly amplified and placed in the Little Depression 1970s you made.

If John McKeithan were alive today, I think he would hate you for using him as the unwitting instigator of the Dystopia :D

Thande

Donor
Incidentally I've just compiled this TL so I can re-read it on my Kindle and it's 308,000 words...

Hmmm. I suspect Mao will eventually be the victim of a coup (if he hasn't killed off any plotters already!) Otherwise it looks like India or Russia will someday be America's biggest trading partner...

Wallace TV Ad:

Fade in:

Ominous music with the Capitol dome in the foreground

Voiceover: The special interests in Washington think they know what's best for Americans in these difficult times. They're wrong.

Fade to:

Image of George Wallace

George Wallace knows how the common man thinks and feels. He understands that the voice of the people is the most powerful weapon Americans have against big government and special interests in Washington.

Wallace narration:

"As President I won't just talk about getting the government off the peoples' backs, I'll do it. I'll send a message to the folks in Washington that this is our time, the peoples' time, not theirs!"

Narrator:

Vote for George Wallace. Vote for the right to be heard.

END

March 25, 1976: Construction on the Washington Metro is halted due to lack of funding, earning it the nickname "The Tunnel To Nowhere."

NY Times Op/Ed

April 1st, 1976

WITHER THE APPLE?

Are we ready for New York City to be administered by the Empire State?

On paper this might seem like a good idea to help New York avoid a complete meltdown. But New Yorkers have long prided themselves on their independence; they may not take so kindly to having leaders appointed from Albany. Whatever one might have thought of the Beame administration, he was, as they say, "One of us."

There's no doubt that the city is in peril. The Twin Towers stand as testimony to that. But the answer does not lie in the halls of Albany. If Washington, D.C. can allow the people of the nation's capitol to determine their own affairs, why can't the state do the same for us?

April 1, 1976: "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones becomes the group's first Number One single in anticipation of the release of the band's first album (April 23rd). Also on this date, Steve Jobs releases the first Apple computer in partnership with Bill Gates, who leaves IBM following the company's declaration of bankruptcy.

April 5, 1976-Beijing Massacre: Government troops kill tens of thousands of protesters in Tiananmen Square under Mao's orders.
________

BTW, I think it should be Reagan vs. Wallace given the populist mood; otherwise most of the voters will be going, "Who???":D

Last edited:
Ronald Reagan Campaign Ad

Fade In:

Uplifting music against a montage of patriotic images in recognition of America's Bicentennial

Narrator: George Wallace claims he knows how the people feel. But do the people know how he feels about them?

Ronald Reagan (voiceover) "George Wallace likes to talk about getting government off peoples' backs. He accuses me of being part of the problem, not the solution. Well, I think that's false. Government is the problem, not those of us who genuinely want to fix it. George Wallace wants to take America backward. I want to take us forward, to that shining city on a hill that we all dream of, to a time when America's economy is once again the envy of the world. Won't you work with me in helping America become great again?"

"I'm Ronald Reagan, and I approved this message."

END

Sorry; that was just for future reference based on my own choice for candidates...

April 7, 1976-David Letterman is hired as a writer for Saturday Night Live after being discovered at the Comedy Store in Los Angeles by Jimmie Walker.

One thing I love about this TL is checking out events and assassinations is to check which ones you reversed, which ones you left the same (sometimes quite to my surprise) and which ones you flat out made up.

Some things change, some stay the same, some come out of left field, or abruptly around the corner on an otherwise quiet street in Finchley. It just sort of mixes things up.

Meanwhile, holy crap China really does look like something out of James Bond! Even Tom Clancy wouldn't go for a dictator of China that batshit-insane :eek:!!! Considering that if China suffers total meltdown in the 1980s or 90s it means a frakkin 1/5 of the Whole World population going down, this timeline is just getting dimmer and dimmer.

Sort of what if Pol Pot or Kim Il Sung had ruled China instead of tiny North Korea.

Finally, I like how a lot of your cultural stuff comes from the Zeitgeist of today, but plausibly amplified and placed in the Little Depression 1970s you made.

If you take a look at the current Tea Party -- that's the ghost of George Wallace. I'm just fiddling around with some of the cultural and economic factors, which are going to have further changes down the road..

If John McKeithan were alive today, I think he would hate you for using him as the unwitting instigator of the Dystopia :D

I'm sure he'd be pissed-off at it. Spiro Agnew wouldn't be too happy either.

Hmmm. I suspect Mao will eventually be the victim of a coup (if he hasn't killed off any plotters already!)

Yes, or bought them off. I'll have to do a separate piece on the "new warlords" he's been creating with opium money and other power, a sort of network of Mao Yuanxin made men in his own image, and reliant on his patronage (not unlike Saddam Hussein and his network of henchmen who were completely reliant on Saddam for position and power). Add a bit of terror and you've got "North Korea" China.

Wallace TV Ad:

Fade in:

Ominous music with the Capitol dome in the foreground

Voiceover: The special interests in Washington think they know what's best for Americans in these difficult times. They're wrong.

Fade to:

Image of George Wallace

George Wallace knows how the common man thinks and feels. He understands that the voice of the people is the most powerful weapon Americans have against big government and special interests in Washington.

Wallace narration:

"As President I won't just talk about getting the government off the peoples' backs, I'll do it. I'll send a message to the folks in Washington that this is our time, the peoples' time, not theirs!"

Narrator:

Vote for George Wallace. Vote for the right to be heard.

END

Nice. More to come on this fella.

BTW, I think it should be Reagan vs. Wallace given the populist mood; otherwise most of the voters will be going, "Who???":D

Reagan/Wallace v. Gavin/Askew ?

It's just the first act in a long play and, as you may have guessed, where everyone started may end-up being different by the time we get to the finish line.

Also on this date, Steve Jobs releases the first Apple computer in partnership with Bill Gates, who leaves IBM following the company's declaration of bankruptcy.

Apple maybe, if Jobs can get the start-up funding. But Gates is making license plates in the federal pen right now.

Reagan and Wallace are running in different primaries, why would one attack the other at this point?

Actually Wallace is taking swipes at Reagan (though not ads like this yet) because he sees Reagan as his real opposition, so if he can soften-up Reagan's support and affect the outcome of that primary, it works for him if he wins the Democratic nomination.

I've got the perfect theme song for this timeline:

"Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones. (This was also the theme song for the TV show set in Vietnam Tour of Duty, incidentially.)

This TL should win a Turtledove for best post-1900 timeline next year.

How far do you plan on taking this?

(BTW, read WI Gordon Banks had played to see how far one can really take the Troubles.)

I like how you weave in real-life events with the TL.

Poor James Woods:D.

Keep this up, and you will have a timeline that should be a book.

So how long can Mao hold out before he actually dies? (in OTL he died in 1976). Maybe a civil war happens in China after his death...

April 4, 1976-All The President's Men, a movie about the Agnew presidency, is released starring Robert Duvall as Agnew. Also on this date, John Carpenter's 1974 film Dark Star, a low-budget science fiction spoof, is re-released and becomes a surprise sleeper hit.

April 18th, 1976-Supermarket chain Alpha Beta declares bankruptcy and is bought out by The Frugal Pantry chain.

April 15th, 1976-General Motors announces it is abandoning its larger car models in favor of more successful smaller models such as the Chevrolet Chevette in the face of competition from foreign imports due to the bad economy.

April 24th, 1976-Sears, one of the few store chains still able to do well due to its lower prices, announces new lines of "Unisex" and "Reusable" clothing for its upcoming Summer catalog.

May 1st, 1976-Wal Mart Stores declares bankruptcy after withdrawing from several states and is bought out by Target Corporation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.