Protect and Survive: A Timeline

Macragge1

Banned
Brilliant stuff there! Keep it coming!
What is the situation like stateside? Is anyone in the UK able to get fragments and news from the States and what were the attacks like there?

There'll be some news getting in from the States soon enough (other parts of the UK may well already be in contact, but the North East isn't - so fragmentary are the current lines of communication. There'll be a better low-down of the international stage in a forthcoming update, promise.

Thanks everyone for the comments and the support.

There'll be some news getting in from the States soon enough (other parts of the UK may well already be in contact, but the North East isn't - so fragmentary are the current lines of communication. There'll be a better low-down of the international stage in a forthcoming update, promise.

Thanks everyone for the comments and the support.

Will we getting a picture of the rest of Europe? I would like to see how Austria and Switzerland are doing.

This timeline is fantastic by the way.

There are too many useless mouths in Britain. After almost a week, a decision is made. Food will be withheld until H-plus two weeks. Nominally, this is the time needed to get distribution up and organised. The real reason is more pragmatic. After two weeks, those who are going to die of serious injuries or creeping doses will be dead. There is no sense in feeding corpses.

Very 'Threads' and very good.

Very nasty, but it has to be done.

Macragge1

Banned
No suggestions or questions from me. This timeline is perfect the way it is.

Music to my ears!

Very 'Threads' and very good.

Very nasty, but it has to be done.

Thanks

Will we getting a picture of the rest of Europe? I would like to see how Austria and Switzerland are doing.

This timeline is fantastic by the way.

Yeah, Europe's gonna be mentioned along with the US when I work out what's going on - suffice to say it's quite messy...

Another harrowing update, but a good one. It is very reminiscent of Threads, especially the scenes with the controller- I'm glad that there is at least the difference that they aren't trapped in the bunker, asyou could do with taking this in a different direction.
Other than that, keep up the good work!

Man, this is some good stuff! Really compelling.

'83 I would've either been at home in Boston, or at school in North Dartmouth - which is about midway between Fall River and New Bedford. Most likely done, either way.

Great update to a great, yet incredibly depressing timeline. You've got me wanting more, but afraid to read more at the same time, and that's great writing.

Keep it up. ( I think...:eek:)

One thing I am hoping for (and am glad to see you will probably oblige) is detail on how the rest of the world is faring (even in broad terms).

I loved Threads, but it didn't go far enough (it only went to 13 years after - which I think is 1996) and also didn't really go beyond Ruth's life and perceptions there.

I'm interested in the Soviet Union as well. Can I assume (as most timelines seem to suggest) that it has literally been turned to glass and the rubble made to bounce?

Macragge1

Banned
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Telex 01.03.1984. CHANTICLEER. NATO eyes only. Hits on British targets.

Memorandum - For obvious reasons, all fatality figures are estimated. Casualties are uncountable. List of targets incomplete. God Save The Queen - Whitelaw.

Population Centres -

London - 10 bombs. 560,000 dead.
Birmingham - 8 bombs. 180,000 dead.
Liverpool - 8 bombs. 120,000 dead.
Manchester - 4 bombs. 100,000 dead
Glasgow - 4 bombs. 100,000 dead.
Edinburgh - 2 bombs. 90,000 dead.
Cardiff - " . 90,000 dead.
Belfast - " . 88,000 dead.
Coventry - ". 66,000 dead.
Hull - " . - 56,000 dead.
Bristol - " . 55,000 dead.
Leeds - " . 45,000 dead.
Sheffield - " . 33,000 dead.
Derby - " . 23,000 dead.
Huddersfield - " . 21,000 dead.
Plymouth - " . 65,000 dead.
Newcastle - " . 45,000 dead.
Preston - 1 bomb. 41,000 dead.
Carlisle - " . 40,000 dead.
Bolton - " . 38,000 dead.
Barrow - " . 36,000 dead.
Stoke - " . 32,000 dead.
Southampton - ". 21,000 dead.
Dundee - " . 19,000 dead.
Sunderland - " . 17,000 dead.
Middlesbrough - ". 16,000 dead.
Exeter - ". - 16,000 dead.
Nottingham - ". - 15,000 dead.
Bradford - ". - 14,000 dead.
Londonderry - ". - 8,000 dead.

Naval Command Centres (3/4) - Northwood, Plymouth, Pitreavie. Miss on Fort Southwick (Portsmouth) - 'Blue Burst' in English Channel.

Air Force Command Centres (3/3) - High Wycombe, Ruislip, Bawtry.

V-bomber Dispersal Bases (13/26) - Scampton, Waddington, Honnington (unused), Cottesmore, Coningsby, St Mawgan, Lossiemouth, Leeming, Gaydon, Manston, Leconfield, Pershore, , Bedford

United States Air Force Bases (4/6) - Alconbury, Bentwaters, Lakenheath, Wethersfield.

Naval Bases (4/5) - Gareloch, Rosyth, Devonport, Holy Loch

Comms and Radar - Rugby, Anthorn (NATO VLF stations). Inskip, Londonderry, Thurso (United States Navy LF stations). RAF Boulmer, RAF Bawdsey, RAF Saxa Vord, RAF Feltwell. BMEWS Flyingdales (Three Bombs)

Command Centres - CHANTICLEER recieved near miss - structure sound. Catterick gone. York Gone. Cambridge, Dover, Reading, Edinburgh, Armagh gone.

Overseas Possessions - Several Near Misses for Hong Kong - covered in fallout. Ascenscion safe. Falklands Safe. No communications w/ Gibraltar (- HMS Gloucester en route?)

Uncounted misses hit UK mainland - many villages small towns etc gone.

No word from Russia (sic) or the United States. France, Low Countries hit hard. Germany gone. East Europe (sic) gone. ( Volunteers prepping Yeovilton for reconaissance (sic) flights over West Europe - FUEL?)

Wait out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited:
I count only 2,070,000 fatalities from hits on cities (plus there will be others from the other hits).

Seems low? Presumably does not include fatalities from radiation sickness and other wounded that died shortly afterwards.

If Fort Southwick is a miss then does it mean that Portsmouth is spared? If that's indeed the case then we have a nice area around which to base recovery operations around.

The West Country is hit as I expected but with Exeter instead of Yeovil, still since Hinckley Point is not mentionned as a hit then there is still power in the area.
I hope that the miss on Corsham fell on something like Badminton and not Bath or Chippenham.

Macragge1

Banned
I count only 2,070,000 fatalities from hits on cities (plus there will be others from the other hits).

Seems low? Presumably does not include fatalities from radiation sickness and other wounded that died shortly afterwards.

You're absolutely right about the casualty seeming low - most of this stems from the fact that my above post is fairly inaccurate -its been compiled in a bunker from scattered bits of information coming from various overworked officials across the country - it's only been two weeks since the attack, and most of the city centres mentioned are too ruined and radioactive to enter at all - even if they were fallout clean, there's no means of digging up the wreckage and counting the bodies - some estimates are more accurate than others, but some are wildly off.

The other reason it seems low is that the only fatalities measured here are from the blasts (again, this is a lot of guesswork - controllers basically drew where was hit on a map and put the population through a series of formulas to come to this conclusion) - put simply, these numbers are only those who died instantly in major cities.

Once you count up all those living in the smaller towns that got hit by misses or those living near military bases, the number of instant deaths continues to rise considerably.

By now, H plus two weeks, the total casualties - those suffering rad poisoning and those dying of wounds is, in reality, approaching fifteen million people.

EDIT : Yeah, Dunois - Portsmouth was spared a hit, as was Yeovil (which, strangely, it seems the Soviets didn't target). Unfortunately, the bomb meant for CHANTICLEER was a big one (5mt) set to ground-burst - it didn't hit anywhere big, but a good few square miles of villages and countryside is now absolutely unrecognisable.

Last edited:
Devastating. Chilling. Brilliant.

You've managed to capture both the personal and wider aspects of the story and express them eloquently.

The casualty figures, and the reality behind them, make for an effective post, and one that gives a terrifying glimpse into what remains of the rest of the world.

Command Centres - CHANTICLEER recieved near miss - structure sound. Catterick gone. York Gone. Cambridge, Dover, Reading, Edinburgh, Armagh gone.

Are the Command Centres the Regional Seats of Government? Because if so, the South's wasn't in Reading (as the Region 6 War Room on Whiteknights Campus, University of Reading (my alma mater) had to be abandoned following the invention of the H-Bomb), but Crowborough in Sussex or Basingstoke (can't work out when Crowborough was finished). Though Reading probably would have been hit as the main east-west transport hub.

Macragge1

Banned
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Telex 05.03.1984. CHANTICLEER. NATO eyes only. Europe Situation.

Memorandum - Sporadic communications established with French govt. onboard Aircraft Carrier 'Clemenceau'. Norwegian aircraft sighted and intercepted over Shetland Isles - pilot delivers sealed envelope asserting that Norwegian government continues and requesting information on NATO casualties and war aims. All information here is subject to change at any time. We are speculating - Whitelaw.

NATO (Europe)

France

Paris destroyed (casualties massive). Marseilles and Nice lost with much of French Fleet. Toulouse, Lyon, Lille, Grenoble, and Bordeaux recieved 'city-killers' - fallout on nearby agricultural areas reported bad. Flight over Le Havre reports huge amounts of smoke (PETRO-CHEMICALS?) in the air. French Govt. unsure about much of the interior - estimate heavy casualties. Clemenceau en route to French Guiana.

W.Germany

Widespread use of chemical, biological and nuclear (tactical/strategic) weapons has destroyed every settlement in the FRG over 30,000 people. Berlin lasted two hours into the exchange - concerted NATO resistance was ended by a massive (PLUS 5MT?) strategic device - West and East Berlin both destroyed (huge NVA and sizeable Soviet contingent also destroyed in attack). Canberra flight 'Saracen' reports no signs of life, animal or human (SEND ANOTHER RECCE WHEN AVAIL.) Same flight intruded 25 miles into E.German airspace - no resistance. No life.

Spain

Madrid, Barcelona gone. HMS Gloucester shadowed by two Spanish(?) aircraft - radio contact not achieved. No contact with any sort of central govt. Gloucester reports that Roentgen readings in Gibraltar Straits v.v.high, buildings appear undamaged (DO NOT PROCEED. RETURN TO PORTSMOUTH).

Portugal

No contact yet - out of range for overflight. Clemenceau group passing the Iberian peninsula in two days time. (CAN THEIR 'PLANES CROSS LISBON?)

Belgium

Brussels destroyed. SHAPE recieved 30MT - attempted helicopter evacuation following Kassel bombs failed.

Austria

Vienna assumed hit. Bad fallout from Germany (COULD THE MOUNTAINS HAVE SHIELDED THEM?). Tactical devices and gas utilised in support of Jugoslavian forces prior to the exchange. No overflights - risk of Jugo/Czecho etc interception.

Norway

King alive, central government nominally functioning. Tactical weapons used in the northern strip of country supporting a Soviet thrust during the 'conventional' phase (HAS THE NORWEGIAN PILOT BEEN QUESTIONED?)

Iceland

No communications with Reykjavik or US airbase at Keflavik. Possibility of sending a submarine/ship (NOT A PRIORITY)

Take note of these annotations and respond. CHANTICLEER needs all possible information. Who is French Head? What of Netherlands/Belgium/Eire etc. Troops to operational airfields where possible. No take-offs withough permission of CHANTICLEER or Regional Commissioner. Get it done, please. God Save The Queen - Whitelaw.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited: