Weekly Flag Challenge: New Challenges & Previous Winners

Challenge: Design the flag for “The British Crown Dependency of Dawkinsia”
The Winner of the Challenge was Kate the Great

attachment.php

However, as we have not heard from here recently and I have yet to receive a response from her, I will post the new challenge in her stead if it is decided finally by members of this forum that we should go ahead with my challenge, or continue to wait for Kate.

My Entry (2nd Place):

attachment.php

Last edited:
Ok then, I will go ahead and post the new challenge.

New Challenge: August 13th
Closing Date for entries: August 17th, midnight GMT

THE CHALLENGE:
I apologise if it seems a little iffy, but I have had a bout the AH-equivalent of writer's block.

POD:

16th June, 1867

Captain Alexis Pestchouroff,

Due to concerns over the possible encroachment of our territory by the Americans, His Imperial Majesty has decided against the motion of selling our possessions in North America to the United States of America. It is with utmost importance that you notify all negotiators of His Imperial Majesty's decision. Undoubtedly, He expects you to fulfill your duty to the Empire, and to our Tsar.

The Office of His Imperial Majesty, Tsar Aleksandr II Nikolaevich, The Emperor Autocrat of all the Russias, of Moscow, Kiev, Vladimir, Novgorod and his other realms and possessions.

CHALLENGE:

Design the flag for an Alaska that was never purchased by the USA, with its capital at Novoarkhangelsk (OTL Sitka). Your entry may pertain to one of the following options:

Option 1: A fully integrated Russian majority Krai of the Russian Federation, assuming the butterfly effects of this are minimal and history continues as it was OTL during the 20th Century.

Option 2: A Russian majority independent Alaska, who won independence after the 1917 Revolution with the backing of both the British Empire and the USA. This Alaska may be a Republic or Kingdom, but is hostile to communism

Option 3: An Aleut majority independent Alaska, who won independence after the British Empire intervened on their behalf. Again, this Alaska may be a Republic or Kingdom, gaining independence during the October Revolution and is hostile to communism

Option 4: An Aleut and Canadian dominated region absorbed into Canada, with the decision by the Russian Government that selling Alaska to the British would pose less of a threat selling to the rising star of America. This happens in the run up to WWI.

RussiaChallenge.png

Last edited:
THE WILD COAST, A SOUTH AMERICAN CHALLENGE

New Challenge: August 22th

Closing Date for entries: August 26th, midnight GMT

POD:

At some time before the 1900's all the Guaiana's were colonised by one colonizer as opposed being carved up by 5 European colonizers OTL.
In an ATL this Guaianan colony became independant as a republic.

The Guaiana's are in OTL divided over 5 countries:
- Guyana, formerly British Guiana
- Suriname, formerly Dutch Guiana
- French Guiana, an overseas department of France
- Brazilian States of Amapá, Roraima, north of Pará and north of Amazonas, formerly Portuguese Guiana
- Venezuelan States of Amazonas, Bolívar and Delta Amacuro, formerly Spanish Guiana.

These areas between the Orinoco and Amazon deltas were long known as "The Wild Coast": see attached map.

CHALLENGE:

Design a flag for one of the following ATL republics situated in South America incorporating all the Guiana's:

OPTION 1: - Republic of the Wild Coast (Formerly part of an ATL British Empire)

OPTION 2: - Republique de Cote Sauvage (Formerly part of an ATL French Empire)

OPTION 3: - República da Costa Selvagem (Formerly part of an ATL Portuguese Empire)

OPTION 4: - Republiek Wildekust (Formerly part of an ATL Dutch Empire)

OPTION 5: - República de Costa Salvaje (Formerly part of an ATL Spanish Empire)

guianas.jpg

Last edited:
If everything is 'of the', like 'Republic of the Wild Coast', then it should be, in Dutch, 'Republiek van de Wilde Kust'.

If everything is 'of the', like 'Republic of the Wild Coast', then it should be, in Dutch, 'Republiek van de Wilde Kust'.

If you look at the official names for Ivory Coast in Dutch and French it is:
Republiek Ivoorkust and République de Côte d'Ivoire. So in correspondence with this and taking some creative liberty of my own, I decided to choose
for the Republiek Wildekust.

But if anyone wants to use the designation you proposed, feel free to do so. :)

Well, I'm just literally translating it, mainly because nearly everyone leaves 'of the' away, like 'Kingdom of the Netherlands' becomes 'Nederlands Koninkrijk' ('Dutch Kingdom').

Bumping this thread to point out to the closure date of the Flag Challenge.

Still 1 day to go and there aren't many entries in, so the chances of you winning could be greater than ever!

Thank you to everyone who voted for me :D.

However, because I took Kate's go previously, it is only fair that I pass the challenge back to her :)

Forgot to post on this thread about JJXDB winning the latest challenge with the attached flag. Congrats again to him!

EntryA.png

FLAG CHALLENGE 1 SEPTEMBER 2010

This is not based on an original idea by me and its POD premise is light-hearted.

England remains catholic in the 16th century. In gratitude, the Pope divides up the New World between his greatest supporters – England, Portugal and Spain. Unfortunately his decision making involves using a map upside down (i.e. north below, south above) thus Spain gets mainly North America, Portugal gets Central America and England gets South America, as shown by the map on the left of the illustration.

The challenge is to design a flag for one of the modern, independent nations shown in the map on the right of the illustration. Nation ‘A’ is Spanish speaking, ‘B’ is Portuguese speaking and ‘C’ is English speaking. Please supply a name for the nation you select, plus a bit of ‘historical’ background.

Deadline for entries = midnight GMT, 4 September

att_flag_challenge.png

Flag Challenge 11/09/10: The Westernized Horde

Create a flag for a Golden Horde successor standing the test of time and give additional "historical information".
The POD can be everywhere after the ascension of Uzbeg Khan and his following Islamification of the Horde in 1319.

The closing date is the 15th September, 12:30 UTC

800px-Golden_Horde_1389.svg.png

New Challenge: Japanese Prefecture Flag

New Challenge: Sunday September 19th

Closing Date for entries: Wednesday September 22nd

Suggestion for this challenge was done by The Professor in the Discussion thread.

• POD: After 1543 OTL, when the Portuguese landed on Tanegeshima Island.

• CHALLENGE: Create a flag for a Japanese Prefecture, complete with kamon, for somewhere that either wasn't under Japanese control or was lost OTL.

Some background info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefectures_of_Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamon_(crest)

Still one day left before the challenge closes!
Only 2 entries as of yet, so more entries are more than welcome.

Latest Winner 19-09-10

Congratulations to Rubberduck3y6 for winning the latest flag design challenge!

Looking forward to your flag challenge.

Rubberducky.png

New Challenge: Alternate IGOs

OK, here's the next challenge. As the last couple of challenges have focused on a specific country/ies I've decided to make this one more open.

The challenge is to design a flag for an alternate intergovernmental organisation (IGO). The only restrictions are that there must be some sort of entry criteria - geographical (eg EU, USAN, ASEAN), cultural (Commonwealth of Nations, OIC, CIS) etc. - and to make the setting recognisable the PoD must be after 1750.

The closing date for entries is Thursday 30th September.

New Challenge

Flag Challenge 10/06/10: "Free" Southeast Asia

After the Second Patriotic War (1937-1943), the American, German and Italian empires ruled triumphant over the world. In Asia, the old order of Britain, France and Japan were overthrown, 'liberated' by independence movements or the victorious powers. As the twentieth century stumbled onward, a new conflict was brewing in Southeast Asia, and the three powers scramble to ensure their interests are secured....

The challenge is to make a flag of either these independent polities or the new colonial governments.

OPTION 1: A flag of an American colony in Southeast Asia (e.g. American Vietnam).
OPTION 2: A flag of a German colony in Southeast Asia (e.g. German East Indies).
OPTION 3: A flag of an Italian colony in Southeast Asia (e.g. Italian Siam).
OPTION 4: A flag of an independent nation in Southeast Asia (e.g. a modern Khmer Empire).

Flags of colonies possessed by these powers in OTL are not allowed, but alternate possession is (e.g. an American Philippines is not allowed, but a German one is).

Deadline: Oct. 9, 2010, Midnight GMT