TL-191: Filling the Gaps

bguy

Donor
Some more alterations/additions:

The US Marine Corps was re-envisioned in the 1890s as the American counterpart to Germany's elite Guards Corps, though the Marines retained their focus on amphibious operations. It numbered six divisions in 1914, brining total US ground strength to sixty divisions. The Corps' history during the GW was spotty: Early operations in Canada were complete failures, though two Marine divisions managed to spearhead the crossing of the Ohio. The capture of the Sandwich Islands was a complete success, albeit a joint Army/Navy/Marines operation led by Admiral Dewey. Marine divisions were raised at a slower rate than their Army counterparts as amphibious operations lost their importance.

Did the Marines ever assault Bermuda? I don't recall anything ever being said about a US attack on Bermuda in the First Great War, but it seems like that would be an essential part of any US war plan for the Battle of the Atlantic.

Also any Marine involvement in the fighting between Argentina and Chile? Admittedly as a front it is something of a sideshow, but without a firm US committment to Chile it seems like Peru and Bolivia would have joined the Entente (assuming something like the War of the Pacific even happened) and there is no indication they ever entered the war. Likewise, if the US left Chile completley to its own devices then there probably wouldn't be much incentive for Brazil to ally with the US.

In fact I'll just request the entire Battle of the Atlantic and the South American War for future entries since they are two of the biggest gaps in both of the Great Wars, and I would love to see you work your magic on them.

Did the Marines ever assault Bermuda? I don't recall anything ever being said about a US attack on Bermuda in the First Great War, but it seems like that would be an essential part of any US war plan for the Battle of the Atlantic.
If I remember the right, the US took, lost and took Bermuda again during the Great War. Either that or they took it in the GW, lost it in the Second Great War but regained it later in the SGW. Something like that. But yeah, the US did attack Bermuda.

bguy

Donor
If I remember the right, the US took, lost and took Bermuda again during the Great War. Either that or they took it in the GW, lost it in the Second Great War but regained it later in the SGW. Something like that. But yeah, the US did attack Bermuda.

Yeah, but the books didn't state whether the US actually occupied Bermuda during the fighting in the FGW or whether they just took it as part of the peace treaty. (Especially since the same treaty also gave the US the Bahamas, and it seems very unlikely that any US forces landed in the Bahamas during the actual fighting.)

The books do show the US losing and then retaking Bermuda in the SGW, so that is probably what you are remembering, but it seems like Bermuda would be just as important in the first war, and if TR was willing to committ forces to attack something as far away as the Sandwich Islands then it seems like he would have invaded Bermuda as well.

Yeah, but the books didn't state whether the US actually occupied Bermuda during the fighting in the FGW or whether they just took it as part of the peace treaty. (Especially since the same treaty also gave the US the Bahamas, and it seems very unlikely that any US forces landed in the Bahamas during the actual fighting.)

The books do show the US losing and then retaking Bermuda in the SGW, so that is probably what you are remembering, but it seems like Bermuda would be just as important in the first war, and if TR was willing to committ forces to attack something as far away as the Sandwich Islands then it seems like he would have invaded Bermuda as well.

I thought I read something about how the USN and the German Navy wanted to link up in the Atlantic early on (presumably helped by taking Bermuda), but being unsuccessful due to the British blockade of the German fleet at Wilhelmshaven, and the North Atlantic being more heavily infested with Entente submarines and warships. So while we have the USN having great projection out into the Pacific because of the Battle of Pearl Harbor, they don't send a major force into the Atlantic until closer to the war's end (and then that was into the South Atlantic, via the Pacific -- Carsten's ship was part of this force).

Not entirely sure, at least on this one.

The Battle of Verdun

The Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1871, which overthrew Napoleon III and signaled the rise of the Hohenzollerns, lasted less than a year. The War of Secession, which broke America in two, was finished in less than two. The Hispano-Japanese War, which announced Japan’s emergence into the first rank of nations, took just six months.

No one in 1914 was prepared for a war that would last three years and cost tens of millions of lives. Men, armies, and even empires would crack under the stress. The Russian Empire dissolved into a decade of anarchy, while their Habsburg and Ottoman rivals were wracked by internal conflict. The Confederacy exploded into racial strife, and then crumbled under enormous weight of men and metal.

Nearly alone of the major combatants, the US, German Empire, and Great Britain held on nearly throughout the war. Although the Irish rose in rebellion in 1916, and all would experience crippling labor unrest from 1917 into the early Twenties, these three colossuses managed to maintain their will to fight, to the bitter end.

Great Britain, of course, though fighting throughout the world, did not experience conscription and mass casualties until 1916, and the massacre of Kitchener’s citizen-soldiers Passchendaele. The Americans and Germans measured their own casualties in the millions from the very first year of the war, but unlike France, the Confederacy and Russia, their fellows in this respect, they knew mostly success. By 1917, the Americans had pushed deep into Virginia, Tennessee, and Texas, while the Germans had hammered the Russians in Poland and the Baltic coast, and delivered yet another stabbing thrust to the French at Verdun.

France, numerically and industrially inferior to the German Empire, was showing the strain. Ever since its armies blundered in the encounter battles of 1914, it had been locked in a wrestling match with a larger, stronger foe. While the British were holding down its left flank in Flanders, the Empire’s numerous commitments in North America, Africa, and the Middle East sapped strength from the critical Western Front. The vast majority of Entente soldiers who fought the German horde in France were French.

With the Hun standing on sacred soil, the French people, military, and state demanded as ones, offensives. And attack they did, repeatedly, at Artois and Champagne – to no result other than horrendous losses. When the Germans themselves renewed the offensive in April 1916, at the fortress-city of Verdun, France’s reserves of manpower were running dangerously low.

Deadened by a massive bombardment of 1,500 artillery pieces, the 20,000 French defenders of the Verdun sector were assaulted by German storm troopers armed with hand grenades and flamethrowers. One fort after another fell to the German attack in February. Philippe Petain, appointed to lead the defense, struggled to re-supply his troops in isolated Verdun over a single road and railway. And with France defending nearly 400 miles of front between Belgium and Switzerland, there were few reinforcements that could be sent without critically weakening other sectors. In particular, Petain had hoped to mass as many 75mm field guns as could be found on the left bank of the Meuse River, beyond Verdun, and use their rapid fire to decimate the German infantry attacking over open ground between the forts and the city. But the year before Joseph Joffre, the French commander in chief, had ordered the formidable forts stripped of most of their artillery, following the capture of the Belgian forts at Liege and Namur in 1914, and dispersed the pieces throughout the army. Throughout the six weeks of the battle Petain remained hopelessly outmatched in artillery.

Throughout March the Germans pushed closer to Verdun, capturing the village of Douaumont, only two miles away, halfway through the month. A row erupted between Petain, who wished to abandon Verdun and withdrew to a shortened, more defensible line along the Meuse, and Joffre, who insisted that the forts be retaken. A compromise of sorts emerged, where Petain halted the piecemeal counterattacks in favor of one huge push. To this end, an entire additional corps was transferred to his Second Army, and his counteroffensive was launched on Easter Monday, April 24, 1916 – coincidentally, the same day as the Easter Rising in Ireland.

It was a brave effort, but doomed to failure. The French had suffered far more losses than the Germans since the campaign had begun, over 100,000 compared to around 75,000. The men who remained were either fighting in unfamiliar territory, or had been worn to the numb by a month of constant battle. The forts that the Germans storm-troopers had seized had been undermanned and underarmed, a defect which their new owners had rectified. The ground had been torn to pieces, slowing the advance, while the French 75mm guns, which had performed brilliantly in the battle so far, proved ineffective when turned against trenches and fortifications. Petain’s troops briefly re-captured Douaumont, but by then they were fought out and were advancing beyond the effective range of the guns on the west bank. The German counterattack which began on May 1 sent the few who remained streaming back towards Verdun and the safety of the Meuse. With the city under bombardment by German howitzers, Petain, on May 5, ordered that it be abandoned and that the French Second Army withdraw across the river. The Battle of Verdun had ended.

In retrospect, the doom of France can be clearly seen. The French defenders had been outclassed in nearly every respect – by the hundreds upon hundreds of guns that Ludendorff had assembled, by the innovative use of storm troopers, by the terror that the flamethrower inspired. In retrospect, the Verdun sector – weakly defended and poorly connected to the French interior – had been a glaring hole in the line, a present that Joffre had presented to Hindenburg on a platter. It’s hard to see how France possibly could have won the battle in the long run, save for the miraculous presence of a dozen or so additional divisions.

Next: Nivelle, Mutiny, and Defeat

Last edited:
I thought I read something about how the USN and the German Navy wanted to link up in the Atlantic early on (presumably helped by taking Bermuda), but being unsuccessful due to the British blockade of the German fleet at Wilhelmshaven, and the North Atlantic being more heavily infested with Entente submarines and warships. So while we have the USN having great projection out into the Pacific because of the Battle of Pearl Harbor, they don't send a major force into the Atlantic until closer to the war's end (and then that was into the South Atlantic, via the Pacific -- Carsten's ship was part of this force).

Not entirely sure, at least on this one.

I have to admit that none of this occurred to me. The pre-AE history of Bermuda never really crossed my mind.

Like everybody else, it seems logical to me that the US would attack Bermuda in the GW - but if they had, it seems equally likely that HT would (or should) have mentioned it. There's definitely something in the books to the effect that the prewar Alliance strategy was for the US and German Navies to link up, and a Royal Navy Squadron at Bermuda (or Nassau) is an obviously huge obstacle, in retrospect.

Since, IIRC, the USN task force which sailed in the South Atlantic had originated in the Pacific Fleet, we can infer that either Bermuda was not taken, and the Atlantic Fleet was unable to break past to Argentina; or that Bermuda was taken, but the Atlantic Fleet was nonetheless so hard-pressed that it couldn't spare ships for Argentina.

I see that the Turtledove wiki says that it was captured during the Great War. I wish they would require cites - it would make my job a lot easier.

The Battle of Verdun

It was a brave effort, but doomed to failure. The French had suffered far more losses than the Germans since the campaign had begun, over 100,000 compared to around 75,000. The men who remained were either fighting in unfamiliar territory, or had been worn to the numb by a month of constant battle.

Okay, first, let me say 'Kudos' to that whole piece. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Secondly, a slight nitpick, and its really up for debate since its AH and all the butterflies of the UK having to fight against the USA... but Verdun was made famous OTL due to the sheer immensity of casualties. Between the French and Germans, a million boys died on that small patch of ground. I just think that, perhaps, with everything else, the Germans would swallow the 75,000 dead that you propose and not even notice it, really (since they lost 450,000-550,000 OTL).

Just a thought - not at all meant to insult or belittle your efforts here, just think that perhaps the TL-191 Battle of Verdun would be at least somewhat similar in scope of casualties to OTL. Perhaps 250,000 Germans to 350,000 French? Even though the numbers are still smaller than OTL, since France is taking more of the brunt than OTL (due to English distractions), it stands to reason that the French would still be reeling.

Thoughts?

Okay, first, let me say 'Kudos' to that whole piece. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Secondly, a slight nitpick, and its really up for debate since its AH and all the butterflies of the UK having to fight against the USA... but Verdun was made famous OTL due to the sheer immensity of casualties. Between the French and Germans, a million boys died on that small patch of ground. I just think that, perhaps, with everything else, the Germans would swallow the 75,000 dead that you propose and not even notice it, really (since they lost 450,000-550,000 OTL).

Just a thought - not at all meant to insult or belittle your efforts here, just think that perhaps the TL-191 Battle of Verdun would be at least somewhat similar in scope of casualties to OTL. Perhaps 250,000 Germans to 350,000 French? Even though the numbers are still smaller than OTL, since France is taking more of the brunt than OTL (due to English distractions), it stands to reason that the French would still be reeling.

Thoughts?

Those numbers were for casualties through the last week of February, March, and the first half of April - I used the real numbers for that period, slightly lowered to account for fewer French defenders and greater German success.

Once Petain's failed counterattack and the final German push are factored in, it would probably come to twice the earlier number - or about a third of the true casualties of the battle OTL. Because Verdun was much, much shorter in TL-191, 200,000 French, 150,000 German casualties seems reasonable. In OTL, a huge chunk of French casualties, for example, came from the recapture of Fort Douaumont in October, which the Germans had taken without a shot in February. Here, they never get the chance to make that assault.

And you picked up on the reason I settled on for the French losing Verdun - with many fewer British/Canadian divisions, the French are holding more of the line, stretching their forces nearly to the breaking point.

Last edited:
Those numbers were for casualties through the last week of February, March, and the first half of April - I used the real numbers for that period, slightly lowered to account for fewer French defenders and greater German success.

Once Petain's failed counterattack and the final German push are factored in, it would probably come to twice the earlier number - or about a third of the true casualties of the battle OTL. Because Verdun was much, much shorter in TL-191, 200,000 French, 150,000 German casualties seems reasonable. In OTL, a huge chunk of French casualties, for example, came from the recapture of Fort Douaumont in October, which the Germans had taken without a shot in February. Here, they never get the chance to make that assault.

And you picked up on the reason I settled on for the French losing Verdun - with many fewer British/Canadian divisions, the French are holding more of the line, stretching their forces nearly to the breaking point.

AH! Much shorter time period in the theater does make sense in the huge comparable drop. Again, kudos, sir!

Speakers of the House of Representatives, 1861-1945

Galusha Grow R-PA, 1861-1863
Daniel Voorhees D-IN, 1863-1867
Thomas Bayard D-DE, 1865-1867
Samuel Cox, D-OH 1867-1871
Samuel Randall D-PA, 1871-1879
Henry Dawes R-MA, 1879-1883
Thomas Reed D-ME, 1883-1889
Leland Stanford D-CA 1889-1895
William McKinley D-OH 1895-1901
Henry Adams D-MA 1901-1915
Charles Curtis D-KS, 1915-1919
Seymour Stedman S-OH, 1919-1925
Henrik Shipstead S-MN 1925-1931
Hamilton Fish D-NY, 1931-1937
Charles LaFollette S-WI, 1935-1937
Clarence Cannon S-MO, 1937-1941
Joseph Guffey S-PA, 1941-1945
Frederick Dirksen D-IL, 1945-19??

Last edited:
Excellent updates, Craigo! Nice to see a list of Speakers of the House for TL-191! Also happy to see a Minnesotan (Shipstead) serving in that capacity even if he is a godless commie. :D:p

Speaker of the Confederate House of Representatives, 1861-1944

Thomas S. Bocock, I-VA, 1862-1866
James Chesnut, I-SC, 1866-1872
William H. Forney, W-AL, 1872-1876
John Reagan, W-TX, 1876-1880
J. Proctor Knott, W-KY, 1880-1888
Wade Hampton IV, W-SC, 1888-1894
Alfred Colquitt, W-GA, 1894-1898
Rufus Polk, W-TN, 1898-1902
Andrew Jackson Montague, W-VA, 1902-1910
Zachary Taylor Wood, W-LA, 1910-1918
Robert Van Dorn, W-MS, 1918-1922
Cassius Daniel, W-NC, 1922-1928
Hugo Black, W-AL, 1928-1934
Josiah Bailey, W/F-NC, 1932-1934
Theodore Bilbo, F-MS, 1934-1940
David Stephenson, F-TX, 1940-1944

Last edited:
Not to nitpick too much, but since Lucius QC Lamar was (most probably) VP under Longstreet, doesn't it make more sense for him to be Speaker before 1879?

Nothing prohibits a second act of his career, obviously.

Also, Burton Mitchel was "plucked out of the Senate" to balance the ticket with Hampden (B&I, page 521), so he can't have been Speaker on your proposed timeframe. Given that Anne and Tom Colleton have very little idea of who Mitchel was before he became VP, it's probably safe to suggest that he never held any position as public as Speaker.

Wolfpaw

Banned
Excellent posts as always, Craigo!

That being said, I believe that Turtledove mentioned in Settling Accounts that Thurmond wasn't all that known. He's never explicitly named, and the speaker in question is referred to as a "politician named Storm or something like that." One would expect that his name wouldn't be such a question were he as important a figure as Speaker of the House.

Edits made to reflect the objections.

Freedom Party Speakers

Following the 1931 elections, the Whigs held a bare plurality in the House. The leader of the maistream Whigs, Hugo Black, was pushed aside by the more conservative Josiah Bailey, who led a faction of younger Whigs who wished to emulate the Conservative/Silver Shirt alliance in Britain. Bailey turned out to be too economically conservative for the Freedomites (he would later oppose the river and dam bill and taxation policies championed by Featherston), who also considered him soft on "the nigger question."

In 1933, Featherston broke his nonaggression pact with Bailey, running candidates in many districts held by Bailey Whigs. With a majority in their hands, the Freedom Party threw Bailey aside and elevated a racist firebrand from Mississippi named Theodore Bilbo (with Featherston [VA] and Knight [TX], all of the major regions of the Confederacy - the Upper South, the Lower South, and the West, were all represented).

Bilbo proved energetic in his new role, but Featherston, paranoid as always, began to distrust his ambition (mistakenly believing himself to be the second-most powerful man in the Confederacy, he even began referring to himself in the third-person). Bilbo had mounted an aggressive, doomed campaign to have himself nominated for Vice-President in 1933, and there were whispers that he wished to run for the Gray House in 1939, when Featherston was expected to step down.

No evidence has ever arisen that implicates Bilbo in the Knight coup attempt of 1938, but Featherston never trusted the Speaker again. The Gray House took immediate steps to bypass and isolate Bilbo, even going so far as to place Party Guards on duty outside his office. In 1940 David Stephenson (combat veteran of the Great War, a Brigade Leader of the Freedom Party Guards, and a Featherston loyalist) won the election on the first ballot, in his first term in the House.

Stephenson, along with most of the Congress, fled Richmond in 1942, meeting again in other locations for only the briefest of sessions - their role had largely been supplanted by the Gray House, in any case. In 1944, Stephenson was arrested by the Texas Rangers upon that state's secession. He was turned over to the United States as a war criminal, and was executed for crimes against humanity and other offenses in 1945. He was the last Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Confederate States of America.

Nivelle, Mutiny, Foch, and Defeat: The French Crisis of 1917

Joseph Joffre, holding onto his job with his fingernails, sealed not only France’s doom at Verdun, but his own. Yet he was not the first to go. Although the practice of throwing reinforcements into battle by fragments, as they became available, was as much Joffre’s strategy as Petain’s, the latter was blamed for the failure to counter the German thrust. Petain had not even been present on the scene until three days after the attack had began, and had absolutely nothing to do with Joffre’s earlier decision to weaken the sector. But as his name became fixed with the battle in the public and military mind, blame naturally came his way. Joffre lost confidence in Petain as early as the last week of April, but cannily waited until after Petain had ordered a retreat on his own hook to replace him.

Robert Nivelle took command of Second Army on May 10; a month later, he was Commander-in-Chief of the French Army, as Joffre was kicked upstairs to a ceremonial position, having failed to save himself by offering Petain’s scalp to the government. The offensive-minded Nivelle, an artillery expert with unswerving faith in both firepower and himself, quickly decided that what France needed was a new offensive. The British, under new commander Douglas Haig, agreed, and requested that the French support its offensive at Passchendaele with an attack along the Somme River, on the British right flank.

That first day at Passchendaele (the offensive's unrealized objective, called that to differentiate from earlier battles in the Ypres sector) has, of course, gone down as the black day of the British army - upwards of 50,00 casualties in the first twenty four hours, as the massive bombardment prepared by Douglas Haig failed to dislodge the German defenses, and attacking troops had to slog through the marshy ground. The citizen-soldiers of the Kitchener battalions were slaughtered for a mile of conquered territory, with some battalions suffering 100 percent casualties in the offensive. The British Empire never regained the hope which died in the mud of Passchendaele.

The French supporting attack on the right flank at the Somme, though much necessarily smaller in scope, fared little better. Nivelle, in a rare bout of common sense, recognized that the French Army needed more time to refit after the disaster of Verdun, and therefore acceded to a "bite and hold" doctrine of limited objectives, the ultimate goal of which was to prevent the Germans from reinforcing at Passchendaele. But he persisted in continuing these attacks long after it was clear that the British offensive to the northwest was going nowhere. Needless casualties piled up by the thousands, and the raising of new units slowed as replacements were ordered to the Somme.

The twin battles at Ypres and Somme finally petered out in the autumn. Though it has attracted much less attention in the history books, the Somme offensive actually cost the French far more casualties than Verdun had. Nivelle claimed victory, citing an impressive German casualty list (later revealed to be substantially inflated) and a gain of six miles at the deepest French penetration. Encouraged by the (voluntary) German withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line, the British and French continued to plan for another simultaneous offensive in the spring.

This time the roles were reversed: The British planned a series of limiting supporting attacks at Arras, on the far right end of their line in France, making heavy use of barrels (which they still called "tanks"). While the British held the Germany's arms, Nivelle planned on a knockout blow along the river Aisne. Utilizing his own theories of artillery bombardments, he planned to blast channels in the barbed wire in no-man's-land. The infantry would then attack through the channels, following closely behind a creeping barrage which would first stun the German front line, and the isolate the trenches from their support lines. Each successive German line would be hit by French infantry just as the barrage passed over it, carving a path directly into the German rear.

None of this happened, of course. The Germans, thanks to French indiscretion (especially Nivelle's) were well aware that a spring offensive was coming along the Aisne, and had reinforcements waiting to counterattack. But more fundamentally, Nivelle's plan was deeply flawed. Pre-battle plans are always too optimistic - lamentable in most cases, disastrous when a precise timetable is necessary. As the advance slowed, the creeping barrage failed to keep pace, moving well beyond the infantry. (Forward observers were few in number and short in lifespan; and while airplanes had great promise, wireless technology had not yet progressed to the point where they could quickly and directly communicate with the artillery.)

Under the new commanders, Hindenburg and Ludendorff, the Germans had perfected elastic defense, whereby a thinly-held forward line was backstopped by a second, much stronger line out of range of the initial attack, sometimes by a mile. And German trenches on the Western front were formidable, in a way seen nowhere else during the Great War. Ventilated concrete bunkers, dozens of feet below ground, were standard, Rather than an indistinct, continuous defensive line, their defense built around mutually supporting strongpoints. Thus Nivelle's bombardment, rather than rupturing the German front, fell on nearly empty trenches that were manned and ready almost as soon as the shells stopped falling.

The slaughter began at Chemin des Dames on 16 April 1917, the anniversary of the capture of Douaomont. All along this plateau (named for the foot path constructed for a pair of French princesses) the Germans held the high ground. Though French troops, along with several colonial regiments, managed to fight their way up the slope and gain the ridge, the murderous fire from the German second line on the plateau cut down soldiers by the platoon. And as the distance between the infantry and the barrage grew to be measured by hundreds of yards, more and more German reserves were freed to counterattack.

Having refused to allow for failure, Nivelle now declined to acknowledge it. Seizing on the "successful" capture of the Chemin des Dames, he ordered on local attack after another, not comprehending that the momentum had been lost on the first day, when the French had suffered casualties equal to the British at Passchendaele. Though efforts had been made to re-for the artillery barrage and isolate targets, Nivelle was, in many case, asking his men to run straight into a wall of metal - and even when they succeeded, they were promptly chewed up by the inevitable German counterattack, by fresh troops who had stayed safely below ground.

The French army medical corps was overwhelmed by the flood of casualties, and wounded men were forced to wait days in agonizing pain beofre ambulances became available to evacuate them to the rear. Replacements, waiting their turn to attack, were everywhere greeted by the results of Nivelle's "breakthrough." Survivors rotatated off the front line returned with horror stories, claiming that the Germans had a machine-gun waiting for each and every man to climb the slope. And they were infuriated at the condition of their wounded comrades.

Since 1914, the French Army had been torn and mutilated by the Germans occupying their soil. Each new promised breakthrough resulted in, maybe, a mile or two of blood-soaked ground. Many regiments had suffered two hundred percent casualties throughout nearly three years of war, and another three years beckoned. Enough was enough.

The mutinies began simply enough, with men who, by themselves, by the squad, or by the company, simply refused to march forward. There was no uprising, no demands, no violence, real or threatened, against officers (those of field-grade were trapped in the same hell, and may have sympathized). Soon, soldiers were leaving the front line; but these were less desertions than a series of individual, autonomous withdrawals. Observers would have been hard-pressed to notice any significant discipline problems in most units, which left the trenches as orderly as they'd entered them.

The French policy of frequent rotation of front-line troops, intended to lessen the risk for each man, ironically played a major contributing role, as survivors of the Aisne offensive, and their grievances, circulated in the rear areas. Nivelle was sacked on May 15, a month after his promised "48 hour victory" had begun. But rather than halt the rot, this merely confirmed to the average soldier that their opinion of the high command had been confirmed.

The number of troops who participated in the mutinies is unknown. Chafrles XI's government claimed that no more than ten divisions were involved. The destruction of Paris may have destroyed on any hope of discovering the truth, but an estimate of fifty affected divisions is not out of the question.

Nivelle's replacement, Ferdinand Foch, shared his predecessor's aggressive instincts and reputation for innovative thinking; his prewar writings have been identified as contributing to the "cult of the offensive" which dominated military thinking. But his unshakable belief in willpower and elan denied him a subtle appreciation of the private soldier's desperate situation, and his response to the disorder was swift and brutal. Early in June a series of mass arrests took place; tens of thousands of soldiers were herded into the stockade. Court-martials were rapidly convened, and justice meted out just as quickly. Foch leaned heavily on these tribunals to eliminate "agitators," and they responded to the pressure. During June, nearly a thousand men were executed by firing squad.

Although the Army had tried, with some success, to keep the mutinies a secret (even Foch's opposite number, Haig, was deceived as to its true extent), leaks inevitably developed. Members of the British government and command were informed in early June that the French army would not mount its promised supporting attacks that month. News of the mutinies soon became widespread, and the repression of the disorder only provked violence between enlisted men on one side and officers and military police on the other.

With the Confederates reeling from repeated armored offensives, and its supply line to Argentina in danger, the British government was forced to ask the French to join in a last-ditch offensive to knock the Germans out of the war. Foch, as Commander-in-Chief, readily agreed, but it provoked a political crisis when the Socialists withdrew their support of the coalition government. The new Prime Minister, Georges Clemenceau, despite his affection for Foch, had already concluded that even if the French Army could fight, it would not do so under Foch. He asked his friend the Commander-in-Chief to resign. The general refused.

Three days of chaos ensued, marked by wild rumors of civil war. Clemenceau recalled Maurice Sarrail, the failed leader of the Salonika expedition, from the military oblivion to Commander-in-Chief. A confrontation ensued, during which Haig surreptitiously informed Foch that he woud gladly use the forces at his disposal to help him overthrow the French defeatists and continue the war. This jolted Foch into the realization that he had gone from fighting a foreign enemy, to plotting with foreigners to attack his own countrymen. He had broken his oath to defend France. He resigned on June 26, and was arrested. France asked for an armistice two days later.

The British Army was ordered to evacuate French territory, and regrouped within Belgium. With the Confederacy being driven back on every front, France out of the war, and Russia in chaos, the Entente situation became hopeless. With dizzying speed, the remaining combatants surrendered. By the war's three-year anniversary, fighting had ended everywhere but East Africa and South America.

Unlike the United States, which was hammering the Confederates with barrels in 1917, the Germans did not field a single barrel during the war, and never managed a breakthrough on the Western Front. They sat back happily and watched their enemies disintegrate. But the startling ease with which France finally fell would later haunt them. A "stab in the back" legend grew, alleging that France, undefeated and unbowed in 1917, had been betrayed by cowards, foreigners, and socialists. This resentment boiled over during the collapse, and inspired the rise of Action Francaise. when Charles XI issued his ultimatum to Wilhelm III in June 1941, he did so confident that there was no weapon on earth that could defeat the new France, cleansed of disloyal elements and united under God and King. He was wrong.