Fear, Loathing and Gumbo on the Campaign Trail '72

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Republicans are going to nominate Reagan, unless he blows it.

OTL he did in 1976. The Presidential election is still a long way off, though.

And Gavin is surprisingly popular.

With Republicans and independents - mainly due to steady leadership after Agnew's removal and through the various crises since. He's not doing so well with Democrats, especially those at the liberal end who don't like his foreign policy and don't think he's gone far enough with stimulus spending.

I'd say--either Reagan or Gavin, but then, you've demonstrated a gift for the surprise twist...

Oh a surprise or three to come - whoever saw President Agnew coming, right? :D

Unless Gavin runs as a third party candidate.

That might be an exceedingly dangerous thing to do after what happened in 1972. No one is going to want to see a repeat of that experience, and no one is going to want to be seen as risking that - unless there is a drastic change in the rules concerning the Electoral College which might change the game.

The scope, bredth, and width you've infused this timeline with is incredible, Drew. Kudos!

Thanks. I love detail, such as you would find in real history works for the OTL of this period - I try to work at least some level of depth into this TL to give it that "it happened" feel. Of course the drawback is that it can be quite exhausting to work out at times.

More to come...

Reagan will curbstomp Ted Kennedy, guaranteed.

As always, depends on who slips-up where. Lots of traps on the long road to the White House; who knows who'll get there -- and who won't. Like I said, whoever thought a President Agnew become a reality?? :eek:

Pennies and Peanuts

Cash Strapped Campaigns: GOP losing the money war.

“Two years ago it was so easy,” bemoans a Republican congressional campaign fundraiser who prefers to remain anonymous, “all you had to do was pick-up the phone, and donors were falling all over one another to give. Now when I call, there’s a hesitancy when they pick-up the phone. I’ve had some awkward silences, pauses that last for a long time.”

The GOP used to be the party of money; the candidates of choice for deep pocketed contributors. In 1972 the Nixon campaign raised an estimated $ 52 million in legal contributions, while Republican congressional campaigns spend somewhere between 34 and 36 million. Contrast that with around $ 28 million spend by the McKeithen campaign and around $ 32 million spent by Democratic congressional campaigns across the country.

1974 is a very different year. According to inside sources the Republican congressional campaign committee has only been able to raise an estimated $ 26.2 million – which may sound like a lot (especially in a year without a Presidential race) – but it is well below the target of $ 38 million that the GOP was hoping for. The Democratic congressional fundraisers have not been fairing well either, having raised only $ 33 million of a $ 40 million goal, but so far they are slightly closer to their goal than the GOP, which is definitely falling behind. Democrats are still seeing money flow in at a greater rate than the Republicans.

The disgraces of the Nixon Watergate scandal and the removal of Spiro Agnew from the Presidency are often cited as the prime cause for the reversal in the GOP’s fortunes. Big money donors expect an anti-Republican backlash from the voters this November, and they are reluctant to put their money into a lost cause. Some donors who gave what turned out to be illegal donations to the Re-elect Nixon effort have been stung by the Watergate investigations: a number have faced tax audits and some may go to jail. This has put a chill over the whole idea of giving money to any politician, Democrat or Republican – but it was the Republican donors who were stung by this.

The state of the economy though has taken a big bite out of campaign fund raising, and this has affected the Democrats as well. Donors, who have seen the value of their money shrink over the past two years, and who may have suffered reverses in the financial markets or in their business, are simply sitting on their cash.

“You would expect donors to be lined-up outside the DCCC’s (the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee) door, because they know in their bones that the Democrats are going to increase their majorities in both Houses of Congress. Now is the time to buy their tickets on that gravy train,” comments Spencer Oliver, a long time Democratic Party lobbyist and fund raiser for the 1972 McKeithen for President campaign. “Where you would expect them to come with big checks; this year the checks are smaller and the enthusiasm has been clipped. Frankly, knowing the outcome, they’re expecting to get more for less.”

On the Republican side, where there isn’t even a faint hope of improving the party’s standing – theirs is a hold and defend strategy – meaning they don’t have much to offer donors, and as a result the money is not flowing as freely as it did in 1972. This has lead campaigns to cut-back on the more expensive aspects of campaigns – television and radio advertising and large campaign events - in favour of smaller, more localized events.

“This could help candidates of both parties,” observes Prof. John Cutler of the Political Science Faculty at Georgetown University. “This will compel the candidates to get in closer contact with their base – especially in the House races where candidates will have more face time with their constituents. By not relying on big media campaigns, and instead pressing the flesh, they may be able to reinforce their connection with the voters back home. But that’s a two edged blade, because in some districts voters may get a chance to see their Representative up close and decide that a change is needed.”

The Senate campaigns are expected to fare even worse, because candidates must traverse an entire state in what are costlier campaigns. Sen. Norris Cotton (R-NH), who is retiring this year and therefore is not campaigning , calls the situation “tough. We didn’t create the problem with Nixon, but we’re forced to work with that hanging over us like some kind big cloud.” Asked about Spiro Agnew, whom Sen. Cotton voted to re-elect in January 1973 and then voted to remove him in November 1973, he says with a grim expression, “sometimes you make a mistake, and you have to live with the consequences. But the new guys, who weren’t in the Senate when that happened, they don’t deserve to get tarred with it..”

One notable exception to this belt tightening has been the California Governor’s race, where Democratic Secretary of State Jerry Brown, son of former Democratic Governor Pat Brown, is pitted against Republican Representative Barry Goldwater Jr., son of Republican Senator and conservative icon Barry Goldwater Sr.. Both campaigns have been raising large amounts of money for a Governor’s race – even by California standards (around $ 17 million each) – and spending it, primarily on television ads (which tend to be the most expensive of any market outside of New York). This has helped to energize what has already been a dynamic race, which at the moment has the two candidates running about even in the polls.

“It’s not that people in California have money to burn, or are feeling the pinch any less than other parts of the country,” explains Prof. Pat Burns of UCLA’s School of Public Affairs. “A lot of Republicans have had their passions stirred-up against Brown when he tried to block the certification of Nixon’s Electoral Votes two years ago. Goldwater has inspired people to dig deep into their pockets in an anti-Brown crusade.

"On the other side, Brown is rousing Democratic supporters with horror tales of what a Goldwater Administration would mean for California. He’s deliberately blending the current campaign with the father’s 1964 Presidential campaign, stopping just short of using the daisy ad. The result has been that Democrats have been motivated to give, even when it really hurts.” The “daisy ad” was a 1964 Johnson campaign advertisement which implied that Goldwater Sr. would start a nuclear war if he won the Presidency. It was shocking at the time, and rated to have been highly effective in turning voters against the Republican candidate.

“I just hope we can do better in 1976,” the anonymous GOP fundraiser sighs as he sets-off to make some more awkward calls. It seems to be the unspoken GOP campaign theme.

The Southern Revolution: A New Generation rising

Four years ago Governor Albert Brewer nearly defeated George Wallace in a closely contested Democratic Primary for the Alabama State House. Wallace won by 3% of the vote, after accusing the moderately reformist Brewer of wanting to mix blacks and whites, in what became a naked example of the old South’s politics of race baiting. In Southern States like Alabama the Democratic primary is usually considered to be the “real election” because the Republican candidate in the general election (if there is one) usually receives only a small portion of the overall vote.

Now Brewer has turned the tables by defeating Wallace's former running mate, Senator James Allen, in a hotly contested Democratic Primary for the United States Senate. Brewer won 50.8% of the vote to Allen’s 49.2% in a run-off election. Senator Allen, a long-time ally of Governor George Wallace (who is expected to easily win re-election to another term as Governor this November) was expected to breeze to an easy victory. At first he dismissed Brewer’s challenge as “nothing serious; just a has-been looking to stay in the headlines.”

Albert Brewer beat the one-term Senator by making an issue of Allen’s January 1973 vote to re-elect Republican Spiro Agnew as Vice President. That vote by Allen upset many Democrats, and set the stage for Agnew to become acting President and then President from January to November 1973. Allen supported the Agnew Administration throughout 1973, and had made public his reluctance to vote to remove him, even as evidence mounted against the then President. Allen did finally vote to remove Agnew.

Brewer used this long support of Agnew to tar Allen as an “accomplice of the biggest crook ever to hold high office in this country. Heck, he held the Oval Office door open for him.”

“Jim Allen is out of touch with the values of Alabamians," Brewer said, "which is why he needs to be replaced as U.S. Senator. What’s he brought back to Alabama in the last year? He voted against a federal stimulus bill, which he considered wasteful. Even when it passed, Senator Allen was reluctant to channel stimulus dollars to unemployed Alabamians. Is that the kind of Senator this state needs? I say no.”

Senator Allen defended his vote by pointing out that the 1972 Democratic candidate for Vice President, Sen. Birch Bayh of Indiana, was “hopelessly liberal. My vote was a reflection of the values of Alabama voters, who are good, God fearing folk who hold fast to traditional principles. Senator Bayh did not represent those values, and therefore I could not vote to place him one step away from the Presidency, no matter what party label he wore.” On his conservative voting record Allen defended himself as “the responsible candidate. It’s your money, and I wasn’t going to throw it away.”

“I wouldn’t have voted for Bayh either, I don’t like Birch Bayh’s brand of liberalism anymore than Jim Allen does,” Brewer adds. “But I sure wouldn’t have put my money down on Agnew. Carl Albert sure would have made a finer, more down-to-earth, acting President than either of them (Agnew or Bayh).”

Spiro Agnew, a conservative, might have been expected to be popular among white voters in Alabama, who are among the most conservative in the country. However, a 1972 Democratic campaign advertisement publicized the fact that the Nixon-Agnew Administration had been instrumental in achieving school desegregation in the South. This policy is still highly controversial among white Southern voters, and may have contributed to some anti-Nixon and anti-Agnew feeling. Although this ad is known to have been an example of dirty tricks by the Democratic McKeithen campaign, the polarizing effect of its message has lingered long after the Presidential contest ended. Governor George Wallace won Alabama’s nine electoral votes in the 1972 Presidential election, running as a favourite son candidate in his home state on a pro-segregation message.

Governor Wallace has not stepped in to aid his old ally, more than likely because, not facing a serious challenge to his re-election, the Governor did not wish to mire his own campaign in any unnecessary controversies. According to informed sources Senator Allen was very displeased with Wallace's favorite son campaign in 1972, and had publicly blamed Wallace for Nixon’s defeat. He also blamed his old boss for putting him (Allen) in the position of having to vote for Agnew. Wallace is notoriously thin skinned to criticism from within the ranks of his loyalists, and he may have left Allen to fend for himself in the primary as retaliation for those remarks.

Albert Brewer will be the next U.S. Senator from Alabama. Although he ran as a segregationist for the office of Lieutenant Governor in 1966, he adopted a more moderate approach after succeeding the late Governor Lurleen Wallace after her death in May 1968. Despite this he remained popular with Alabama voters, and was the first Alabama Governor since Reconstruction to actively court black voters in the 1970 Governor’s race. Brewer again appealed to black voters to support him in the Senate primary, and they did. James Allen, although considered a moderate on race issues, has been openly sceptical of school integration and affirmative action programs, while Brewer has said there are "past injustices that need to be fixed by our generation."

In Georgia long time Democratic Senator Herman Talmadge chose to retire rather than face a primary challenge from Governor James “Jimmy” Carter. Talmadge became notorious as the Senator who cast the deciding vote for Agnew (though he shares this credit with North Dakota Republican Milton Young, the last Senator of either party to vote on the question). According to polls taken in Georgia over the last year, the once popular Talmadge came to be seen as an embarrassment by many of the State’s voters. Senator Talmadge has had problems with the IRS over campaign finance irregularities and has fought a personal battle with alcohol over the last year, both of which have contributed to the decline in his popularity. He has also been absent from over two thirds of Senate votes this year.

At some point Talmadge realized that he could not win re-election and opted to leave at the end of his current term. Talmadge had been a pro-segregation southern Democrat who voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act, landmark federal legislation credited with beginning the end of Southern racial segregation (if not the underlying social divisions between races). Although he became more progressive in his outlook in the 1970’s, Senator Talmadge never fully repudiated his past record.

The incumbent Governor, who goes by ”Jimmy” Carter, easily won the primary, and can anticipate only token Republican opposition in the general election. A graduate of the Naval Academy and a former nuclear engineer in the Navy’s submarine fleet, Carter managed his family’s peanut plantation in small town Plains, Georgia before entering State politics. Under the Georgia constitution Governor Carter, who was elected in 1970, cannot succeed himself. During his term as Governor, Carter reformed the Georgia civil service, and won praise from civil rights advocates for hanging Martin Luther King Jr’s portrait in the Georgia State Legislature. He is also credited with bringing fiscal responsibility and accountability to the budgeting process, which he described as “archaic” shortly after taking office. Carter was one of only a handful of white Georgia politicians who attended Dr. King’s Atlanta funeral in 1968, walking beside the late Senator Robert Kennedy in the funeral procession. Carter’s support for civil rights has won him some enemies among supporters of segregation, but overall his approval ratings as Governor have been high.

Last edited:
If Ted does win, you can have his presidency end as badly as you want. I never much liked him anyways. :p

He runs for President in 1976 and loses, and loses the family Senate seat in the process. He then invests the family money in 8-track players, Beta Max and a chain of Disco Lesson Studios. When that's gone he's forced to become a manager at Walmart, but that doesn't work out because he's no good at rolling back the prices, having more experience at busting budgets with spending.

Down on his luck he enters a church and has a religious conversion. He then becomes a preacher and founds his own network. By 2000 Ted Kennedy is a leading light of the new religious right and George W. Bush's personal confessor. When Ted tells George that Dick Cheney is a leftist Bolshevik, George W. chooses pastor Ted as his running mate instead and Bush-Kennedy wins the election with a 538-0 landslide in the Electoral College. The new Vice President then launches a task force to bring back 8-track players and Beta Max as "patriot's entertainment, just like Jesus would use."

Damn it, that's still better than Cheney.

And nice to see the reminder that Jimmy Carter was once considered a promising new face in politics.

*sigh*

Awesome update as usual Drew, I like the focus on the growth of the New South Generation of politicians...Should have an interesting effect on the '76 Election...Keep it comming

Oh, hell, he wasn't even that bad a President. He just had a knack for seeming hopeless.

As for President Palin--HA! Almost certainly not going to happen. Though if it does, as an American, I wish to apologize to the rest of the world for destroying the planet.

Last edited:
Drew, a quick question: I was re-reading your timeline and I couldn't find (but maybe I missed it, in which case I'm sorry) an explanation on now Gavin became Speaker of the House? I thought that in order to become Speaker, you had to be a Representative...

Drew, a quick question: I was re-reading your timeline and I couldn't find (but maybe I missed it, in which case I'm sorry) an explanation on now Gavin became Speaker of the House? I thought that in order to become Speaker, you had to be a Representative...

It's in there somewhere, but the thumbnail is that, no, there's nothing in the Constitution that says the Speaker has to be a Representative. He or she always is in practice, but Congress decided to take advantage of that little loophole to essentially appoint President Agnew's successor. ("Deputy" Speaker Albert, mind you, was in de facto control of the House all along.)

Article I of the US Constitution gives both Houses of Congress the right to set the rules for how their officers are chosen. Apart from mentioning that the House will have a Speaker and the Senate a President pro tempore, there is nothing more specific. The House could choose anyone it wants as its Speaker subject only to its own rules, which it could wave on a motion of its majority if it chose, because these are not Constitutional requirements.

The manouever I used to elect James Gavin Speaker and place him next in the line of succession (he met the constitutional criteria to succeed to the Presidency) is quite constitutional and could be done at any time. The House leadership agreed and got the majority of their members behind electing him Speaker, and waving whatever House rules were in the way of that happening.

In fact, something like this would only be done in an extraordinary circumstance such as the one that occurred in this TL, and only because Speaker Carl Albert did not want to be President, and did not want James Eastland (President pro tempore of the Senate) to be President either. A more ambitious Speaker such as Tip O'Neill or Sam Rayburn or Newt Gingrich simply would have let history take its course and let themselves "become" acting President in due course.

Of note, James Gavin, when he was Speaker, had no vote in the House - only seated members from the States have that right. His duties as Speaker were largely ceremonial and did not involve him in any way with the impeachment of Agnew (in fact he wasn't appointed Speaker until after that matter had passed to the Senate for trial). Carl Albert as Deputy Speaker remained the boss.

The Long Slide Down

August 8, 1974

Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Margaret Thatcher, announces that the policy of internment in Northern Ireland of PIRA suspects will continue.

General Bernard Rogers USA assumes command of the US Expeditionary Force in Syria, and overall military command of the Syrian operation.

August 10, 1974

The body of Patrick Kelly (33), a Nationalist councillor, was discovered in Lough Eyes, near Lisbellaw, County Fermanagh. Kelly had disappeared on 24 July 1974 after leaving Trillick, County Tyrone, to travel home.

DC District Court Judge John Sirica (who is presiding over the United States v. Nixon criminal case) orders a ban on publication of the contents of the Nixon Oval office transcripts. Judge Sirica also bans the sale of The Manchester Guardian in the United States. The DC Circuit Court of Appeals upholds Judge Sirica’s ban on the publication of the tape transcripts, but overturns the ban on selling The Guardian in the US. This forces The Guardian to produce a split-run edition for the US market which censors out any reference to the contents of the Nixon tapes.

President Gavin signs an executive order barring federally regulated banks from foreclosing on home mortgages for the next year.

August 13, 1974

Two British soldiers were killed by the Provisional Irish Republican Army (PIRA) in a remote controlled bomb attack near Crossmaglen, County Armagh.

August 14, 1974

The US Congress authorizes US citizens to own gold privately.

August 15, 1974

South Korean President Park Chung-hee was delivering a speech in the National Theater during a ceremony to celebrate the nation's deliverance from Japanese colonial domination 29 years before, when a presumed North Korean agent Mun Se-gwang fired a gun at Park from the front row. Park was hit by one of the bullets, another of which killed his wife Yuk Young-soo. The wounded President continued his speech as his dying wife was carried off of the stage.

August 16, 1974

President Park Chung-hee dies of blood poisoning from his bullet wound (leading to a major controversy over his medical treatment). Prime Minister Kim Jong-pil succeeds Park as acting President of South Korea. As the gunman who killed the President and his wife is considered a North Korean agent, tensions increase between the two Korean states over the incident. US and South Korean troops are put on alert, when an alert of North Korean troops is ordered by North Korean dictator Marshall Hyung Ju. The heightened alerts on both sides continue through the winter of 1974-1975.

August 25, 1974

Sixteen worshippers are killed in a second church bombing in Cyprus. The Samson military government begins cracking down on Turkish Cypriot communities, including the interning of young men of military age. Turkish Cypriots who flee the island for Turkey are stopped by Cypriot government patrol boats and young men and other suspects are pulled off. Some jump into the sea and drown rather than being taken prisoner.

Turkish President Fahir Koroturk denounces this activity and the internment of ethnic Turks on Cyprus. He ends all negotiations between the two sides in Geneva. The Turkish President begins pressuring the United States and his other NATO allies to aid Turkey in deposing the Sampson government. This further splits the fragile solidarity among the major partners (the US, the Soviet Union and Turkey) in the Syrian operation.

August 26, 1974

Soyuz 15 carries two cosmonauts to the Salyut 3 space station.

President Gavin proposes Congress act on the following two pieces of legislation before adjourning for the elections. The first, a proposed Mortgage Relief Act would establish a federal fund to assist homeowners facing foreclosure. The main proposal of the MRA would be to provide a fund which would assist unemployed and cash strapped homeowners with mortgage payments to prevent foreclosures. The other would amend accounting rules so that banks could claim the cost of not foreclosing as a tax deduction against their revenues and not carry it as bad debt on their books, thus giving banks an incentive not to foreclose directly on mortgages.

The other bill, the proposed Hunger Relief Act, would provide extended relief under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps) to assist in the creation of community food banks and to provide added funding for hot lunch programs in schools.

August 30, 1974

An express train bound for Germany from Belgrade derails in Zagreb, Yugoslavia (now Croatia), killing more than 150 passengers.

September 1, 1974

The SR-71 Blackbird sets (and holds) the record for flying from New York to London: 1 hour 54 minutes and 56.4 seconds.

September 2, 1974

President Gavin signs into law the Employee Retirement Income Security Act.

September 3, 1974

On Labor Day US unions organize large protests against unemployment and wage stagnation. They are joined by large, and less well organized or coordinated, demonstrations by unemployed people, many of whom are living in shelters or in temporary accommodation. Several of these protests become ugly as protesters clash with police and each other. One group of unemployed war veterans sets a bonfire in Lafayette Park, across the street from the White House.

September 7, 1974

Canadian Prime Minister Robert Stanfield (Progressive Conservative) introduces a budget which is aimed at combating inflation, easing the unemployment crisis in Ontario and Quebec through easing regulations on business and corporate tax incentives, and allowing greater provincial control over resources and regional economic policy. The budget also includes temporary wage and price controls. Stanfield’s minority government survives an attempt to unseat him by interim Liberal Leader Donald Macdonald and NDP leader David Lewis by a vote of 134 - 129 in favour of the government budget. (11 Social Credit members from Western Canada agree to support the budget).

September 8, 1974

TWA Flight 841 crashes into the Ionian Sea 18 minutes after take-off from Athens, after a bomb explodes in the cargo hold, and kills 88 people.

September 10, 1974

A guerrilla war is now underway in Cyprus between ethnic Turkish resisters and the Greek backed Sampson government. Between September and December several hundred civilians are killed, along with over one thousand Turkish guerrillas and Cypriot Greek and Mainland Greek troops (which are operating in support of their Cypriot ally). Round-ups of civilians and suspected guerrillas by Greek Cypriot military police continue. There are allegations of torture and murder of prisoners.

September 11, 1974

The Prevention of Terrorism Act passes the British House of Commons with only a slim majority. After some debate in the House of Lords it is sent to the Sovereign on September 28 and signed into law that day.

On the first anniversary of the coup in Chile former Foreign, Defense and Interior Minister Orlando Letelier is released from prison by Chilean military authorities. Letelier goes into exile to become a prominent leader in the anti-Pinochet opposition.

September 12, 1974

Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia is deposed by the Derg.

Demonstrations were held in Belfast by Loyalists and Republicans in support of prisoners who were protesting about parole and food.

September 13, 1974

Japanese Red Army members seize the French Embassy in The Hague, Netherlands. The ambassador and ten other people were taken hostage and a Dutch policewoman, Hanke Remmerswaal, was shot in the back, puncturing a lung. After lengthy negotiations, the hostages were freed in exchange for the release of a jailed Red Army member (Yatsuka Furuya), $300,000 and the use of a plane. The plane flew the hostage-takers first to Aden, South Yemen, where they were not accepted and then to Iraq, where they were arrested and turned over to French authorities for trial. (Iraq was at the time involved in negotiations with the French government to acquire a nuclear reactor). The ransom money disappeared, but was believed to have been taken by Iraqi authorities (who claimed that the Yemenis had seized the cash).

September 14, 1974

Charles Kowal discovers Leda, 13th satellite of Jupiter.

September 16, 1974

The PIRA shot and killed a Judge, Rory Conaghan, and a Resident Magistrate, Martin McBirney, in separate incidents in Belfast.

A Catholic civilian was killed by a booby trap bomb planted by Loyalists in Pomeroy, County Tyrone.

2d Lt. John Ellis (Jeb) Bush USAF graduates from Air Force flight training school. He is assigned to air operations in Syria.

September 20, 1974

Armed gunmen seize the NYSE, killing 28 hostages. NYPD re-take the stock exchange; during their operation 2 officers and 2 hostages are killed, along with seven of the gunmen involved in the hostage taking. Civil Rights groups begin an immediate campaign to label the NYPD’s actions as a police massacre.

September 21, 1974

US Mariner 10 makes 2nd fly-by of Mercury.

September 22, 1974

Anti-government demonstrations in Athens are suppressed by the military. Analysts predict that Greece is on the verge of a second Civil War.

September 23, 1974

Ceefax (one of the first public service information systems) is started by the BBC.

The Gavin Administration announces that the President has signed an executive order directing the Attorney General and the FBI to co-ordinate national and state efforts to crack down “hard” on “thugs, criminals and terrorists who use violence as their stock and trade.” Presidential spokesman Roger Mudd also comments that the President may seek a modification in the Posse Comitatus Act from Congress to allow more US military “assistance” to domestic law enforcement “against violent criminals.”

September 26, 1974

Negotiations begin between Socialist French President Francois Mitterand and Gaullist Prime Minister Olivier Guichard to end the on-going labour disruptions in France and develop a framework for “co-habitation” between the two political parties. French Communist Party General Secretary Georges Marchais later accuses the President of a “double-cross”

September 28, 1974

The Skylab 5 mission launches from Cape Canaveral. Skylab 5 is a short 20-day mission to conduct scientific experiments and to boost the Skylab vehicle into a higher orbit. The crew are Vance Brand (commander), Don Lind (command module pilot), and William B. Lenoir (science pilot).

John Lennon appears as guest DJ on WNEW-FM (NYC)

September 30, 1974

Gen Francesco da Costa Gomez succeeds Gen Spinola as President of Portugal

October 2, 1974

Mike Murphy, a senior PIRA operative in northern England comes under increased scrutiny by MI5 and Special Branch operatives. Under the new Prevention of Terrorism Act his telephone and flat are bugged.

South Korean acting President Kim Jong-pil wins a narrow plurality over opposition candidates (in a questionable election).

October 4, 1974

John Lennon releases "Walls & Bridges" album.

Surrounded by Congressional leaders, President Gavin signs the Mortgage Relief Act and the Hunger Relief Act into law. Both pieces made it through Congress, despite some opposition to the high costs associated with each program, because few Congressional leaders wanted to be seen as being opposed to these programs so close to an election during a recession (or depression, depending on your point of view).

President Gavin: "These bills remind us why America is great. Yes, we believe in individual initiative and self-reliance, those are bedrock American values. But the American people are generous and caring too; we are a good people who cannot turn our backs on the suffering of others. So in that spirit we reach out today to those who have been sorely affected by this crisis, and offer a hand of comfort and support. Not a hand-out mind you, but a hand up.”

Senator Bob Dole: “I understand that we have to end the foreclosures; Americans are going to have a hard time getting back to work if they don’t have a home, but still, do we have to spend so much? Aren’t we risking mortgaging our children’s future on this excessive spending?”

Governor Ronald Reagan: “I’ll say this for Washington, they never met a dollar they didn’t want to spend. Well, on this Hunger Relief thing, I remember reading once that if you give a man a fish he eats for a day, but if you teach him to fish, he’ll eat for a lifetime. I wonder if we aren’t just giving people too much, and not teaching them to do it for themselves. Then, like our fisherman, they’ll be ready to feed themselves - and their families - for a lifetime. Now isn’t that a better solution?”

Rep. Barry Goldwater Jr.: “Sure, should help those who are in need of help now; it would be cruel not to. I just worry that we’ll end-up with a dependency culture. They tried this stuff in England after the war – and they were in a pretty bad way back then, what with the Nazis having bombed out their country – but now they’re all standing in line, depending on a hand out – the dole they call it. We don’t want a dole in California or the United States, so we had better think long and hard before we start down that path.”

October 5, 1974

The Irish Republican Army (IRA) planted bombs in two public houses in Guildford, Surrey, England, which killed five people and injured a further 54. The pubs, the Horse and Groom and the Seven Stars, were targeted because they were frequented by off-duty British soldiers. Under the Prevention of Terrorism Act the Heath Government begins a massive crackdown on alleged and suspected PIRA and Sinn Fein sympathizers in mainland Britain. The Foreign Secretary Sir Alec Douglas -Home delivers a formal protest over the activities of NORAID to the US Ambassador Annenberg (who was slated to resign, but convinced to remain in place for another six months by President Gavin).

October 7, 1974

A Turkish Cypriot infiltrates the Papal Mass at St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. During the mass he starts throwing stones at Pope Paul VI, before being subdued by the Swiss Guard and the Papal security force.

President Gavin attempts to develop a consensus in his Administration about the growing crisis in Cyprus. However, with Vietnam and Syria in the forefront, there is little support for any other military action. Diplomatic efforts by Henry Kissinger and Secretary of State George Bush have proven unsuccessful. The Administration does agree to impose an arms embargo on the Greek and Cypriot governments, hoping that this will force them to the negotiating table.

October 8, 1974

British Home Secretary Robert Carr announces that PIRA suspects and “those considered to be providing them material assistance” will be interned in mainland Britain as well as Northern Ireland.

October 9, 1974

A race riot occurs in Boston over the issue of school busing.

Chilean strongman Augusto Pinochet announces that Chile will assist the Greek Military Dictatorship with arms sales in an act of “anti-communist solidarity.”

October 10, 1974

In a compromise vote the National Conference for Unification, stacked with supporters of the late President Park, elect Kim Jong-pil to a six year term as President of South Korea (1974 – 1980).

General George Brown USAF, the newly appointed Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, tells an audience at Duke University that that Israel was becoming a burden to The Pentagon and believed that the reason for continual military aid was due to Jews having control over America's banks, newspapers and elected officials. His exact words were: “They own, you know, the banks in this country. The newspapers. Just look at where the Jewish money is.” General Brown is compelled to resign over his remarks by President Gavin and is replaced as Joint Chiefs Chairman by General Robert E. Cushman jr., the Commandant of the United States Marine Corps. General Cushman is the first Marine Corps officer to hold the position.

Former President Richard M. Nixon is formally indicted on seventeen counts of breaking federal laws and he pleads not guilty (“Absolutely not guilty, so help me God!) during an arraignment before Judge John Sirica.

October 11, 1974

The PIRA carried out two bomb attacks on clubs in London. At 10.30pm a hand-thrown bomb with a short fuse was thrown through a basement window of the Victory, an ex-servicemen's club in Seymour Street near Marble Arch. A short time later an identical bomb was thrown into the ground floor bar at the Army and Navy Club in St. James's Square. Only one person was injured in these two attacks.

Stéphanos I Sidarouss, the Coptic Christian Patriarch of Alexandria, Egypt is gunned down by two Islamist militants, who declare they are acting in solidarity with the oppressed Muslims of Syria and Cyprus. President Sadat orders his security forces to crack down on the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and other extremist forces in the country.

October 13, 1974

In London three Irish workers are killed and seven injured in a riot with a large mob of English workers protesting the recent PIRA attacks in Britain.

October 14, 1974

Prime Minister Heath announces that a state of marital law will prevail in Britain for the next forty days. A nationwide 10:00 pm – 6:00 am curfew is imposed. Police are given special powers to check identification and to intern suspects. British troops are assigned to back-up the police. The right of public protest, or to gather in large groups for “unapproved events” is suspended.

Ngô Quang Trưởng is elected President of the Republic of (South) Vietnam.

32 Turkish Cypriot school children are killed when government tanks fire on a school. The Cypriot military authorities later claim that Turkish guerrillas were firing at them with anti-tank rockets and using the school buildings as cover.

Turkish President Fahir Koroturk pledges Turkey’s complete support for the guerrillas on Cyprus. Turkey is openly arming their forces, and President Koroturk indicates that Turkey will not hesitate to invade again “no matter the cost or the damage to our alliances” in defence of the Cypriot-Turkish population.

October 15 – 16, 1974

A number of huts in the Maze Prison were destroyed by fires which had been started by Republican prisoners. British troops were called into the prison to re-establish control. [The estimated cost of damage to the Maze Prison, during disturbances on 15 October 1974, was put at £1.5m.]

On October 16 Margaret Thatcher, Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, announced that nine Republican prisoners from the Maze Prison had been hospitalised following disturbances at the prison the previous day. Fifteen prison officers and 16 soldiers were also hurt during the disturbances. The unrest spread to Magilligan Prison where a number of huts were destroyed. [Damage at Magilligan Prison on 16 October 1974 was estimated at £200,000.] In Armagh Women's Prison the governor and three women prison officers were held captive before being released following mediation by clergymen. Mrs. Thatcher announces that all prisoners will be “locked down” for twenty three hours a day, and that those who burned down huts at the Maze prison will be prosecuted for arson. Mrs. Thatcher announces that all prisoners will be denied matches, cigarettes and hot food in retaliation for the actions of the prison rioters.

“We will find out who did this monstrous thing,” Mrs. Thatcher declares. “Until we do, everyone will suffer. Let them understand, until they give-up the guilty, we will treat them all as if they had a part in it.”

October 18, 1974

Chicago Bull Nate Thurmond becomes first player in the NBA to complete a quadruple double-22 pts, 14 rebounds, 13 assists and 12 blocks.

Skylab 5 returns to Earth. The mission has managed to raise the Skylab vehicles orbit by several hundred miles, extending the orbital laboratories projected lifespan.

Military forces break-up another demonstration in Athens.

October 20, 1974

The new President of South Korea introduces a plebiscite to amend the Yusin constitution to create the office of Deputy President.

October 20 – December 23, 1974

Operation Holy Oak. US, South Vietnamese and Cambodian forces push Khmer Rouge forces further north toward the Loatian border, creating a greater cordon of security for the Lon Nol government in Phom Penh. Allied forces also skirmish with North Vietnamese forces in Cambodia. Allied casualties are reported at 312 U.S, 2,100 South Vietnamese and approx 2,000 Cambodian. Estimates of enemy dead range between 5,000 and 8,000.

October 21 - 22, 1974

Two Catholic civilians, Michael Loughran (18) and Edward Morgan (27), were shot dead by the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) at the junction of Falls Road and Northumberland Street in Belfast.

A member of the Territorial Army (TA) was shot dead by the PIRA in Belfast.

John Hume, then deputy leader of the Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP), said that his party had lost confidence in Margaret Thatcher. Mrs Thatcher replied that she regretted Mr. Hume’s announcement, but “ that this government will not give-in to terrorists, no matter who disapproves.”

October 24, 1974

Billy Martin named AL Manager of Year (Texas Rangers).

The PIRA carried out a bomb attack on a cottage in the grounds of Harrow School in northwest London. No one was injured in the explosion. The time bomb, estimated to have contained 5lbs of explosives, exploded shortly before midnight just outside the cottage which had until just before this date been occupied by the head of the school's Combined Cadet Force. At 11.30pm a telephone warning about the bomb had been given to the Press Association.

Regular Police and military sweeps of areas known to be frequented by PIRA supporters begin.

October 25 - 26, 1974

A makeshift bomb explodes outside of an Army recruiting office in Los Angeles, California. It occurs at night, so there are no injuries. California Governor Reagan appears outside the damaged building the next day with Republican Gubernatorial candidate Barry Goldwater Jr.. Both men denounce the violence and repeat calls for law-and-order polices. Governor Reagan announces he will use his remaining time in office to work toward giving the state police forces “effective power to stop this barbarism.” Governor Reagan does not rule out using the National Guard to impose order, if necessary. Rep. Goldwater pledges if elected that he will continue Governor Reagan’s work, and “that includes using the National Guard to give the police extra muscle, if they need it.” He also says, of his Democratic challenger, “Jerry Brown will give them a civics lesson and a lollipop. I don’t mind giving them the lollipop, but the only civics lesson I’ve got for these scumbags comes from the end of my boot.”

October 27, 1974

After a series of contentious meetings the Arab OPEC nations and Iran agree to extend the oil embargo against the west. This is presented as an expression of Islamic solidarity for the people of Syria, and the “oppressed, endangered muslim brothers and sisters in Cyprus.” OPEC calls on the west to protect the Turkish population of Cyprus and remove the Sampson military government from power. The Shah of Iran and Venezuelan President Carols Perez had argued for lifting the sanctions. However, even the moderate Islamic governments in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait would not endorse that position, for fear of a backlash against them by their populations. There have been large pro-Syrian and pro-Turkish Cypriot demonstrations in many Arab cities, and the Cyprus violence in particular has become a political hot potato for Islamic governments. The Shah agrees to go along with his fellow Islamic leaders, but Venezuela formally withdraws from OPEC after this meeting.

The Ayatollah Khomeini denounces the Shah’s position at the OPEC conference as outright treason to Islam – “the blood of all the martyrs of Cyprus flows from the claws of this heretic”. Khomeini issues a fatwa calling for the Shah’s death.

October 28, 1974

The Soviet Union launches the Luna 23 unmanned probe. It lands on the Moon on November 6.

The PIRA killed two British soldiers in a bomb attack outside Ballykinlar British Army base, County Down.

Greek military forces announce they have thwarted a plot to use a bomb to kill the Greek President Phaedon Gizikis.

October 30, 1974

The Rumble in the Jungle takes place in Kinshasa, Zaire, where Muhammad Ali knocks out George Foreman in 8 rounds to regain the Heavyweight title, which had been stripped from him 7 years earlier.

Cypriot troops burn down two Mosques they claim are being used as operation centers and arms depots by anti-government guerrillas. News of this inflames feeling throughout the Islamic world.

October 30 – November 2, 1974

An overnight riot in the London working class neighbourhood of Stepney evolves into a two day clash with British police and military as mobs set fire to buildings and police equipment, as well as rioting in gangs drawn on ethnic lines against each other. There are also reports of clashes between Muslim and non-Muslim groups as well.

The initial spark is later thought to have been a sports dispute that got out of hand, but the Stepney Riot comes to embody frustration at the martial law restrictions and the PIRA violence in mainland Britain. There is also an expression of rage at “the system” by some rioters. Extensive property damage is thought to exceed several hundred thousands of pounds. Seventeen rioters are left dead, well over two hundred are seriously injured. Five police and one solider are killed, more are injured, but the authorities do not disclose how many. After the riot Stepney is placed under military control. “Looks like bloody Belfast,” one resident comments of the military presence on the streets after the riot.

November 1, 1974

Ngô Quang Trưởng is inaugurated as the sixth President of the Republic of (South) Vietnam. The American interim administration of South Vietnam under General Earle Wheeler ends.

Paris police are called in to quell rioting by North African immigrants in the suburb of Clichy-sous-Bois. The source of the disturbance is later concluded to be an inflammatory sermon given at the local Mosque during which the speaker calls for a Jihad against all Christians over what is happening in Cyprus and Syria.

November 2, 1974

The people of South Korea vote to approve the amendment of the Yusin Constitution. Former Army General and Korean Central Intelligence Agency Director Kim Jaegyu is elected as Deputy President by the National Assembly on November 4, after being nominated by President Kim. The Deputy President cannot be removed by the President, only by the National Assembly.

November 3,1974

Walter H. Annenberg, the United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom, is killed when an improvised rocket grenade is fired at his limousine. Ambassador Annenberg, who was in an armoured vehicle, survived the initial blast. However, perhaps in a state of shock, he exited to provide assistance to a wounded British police escort officer. Ambassador Annenberg was then shot from a nearby building. The British government immediately blames the PIRA for Annenberg’s assassination. The PIRA vehemently denies that they had anything to do with it, and casts the blame at “Unionist gangsters working for Bloody Maggie Thatcher.”

November 4, 1974

Opposition leader Denis Healey (Labour) rises in the House to declare that his party and the British people have “lost all confidence and trust in this government of lies and brutality. We hold the government responsible for escalating the cycle of violence in our country, and I call for the Prime Minister and his ministers to step down at once.” Prime Minister Heath calls Healey “soft as an old down pillow” on security issues and calls for the Opposition leader to resign.

The Duke of Edinburgh, a hereditary Prince of Greece, is fired on during a public appearance by an armed man of Turkish ethnicity. The gunman fails to actually shoot anyone.

(from Thomas L. Friedman Sleeping in Sand: American Policy and the Jihad Wars)

The Western Intervention in Syria (commonly the Syrian Intervention) played out over this crucial three-month period against the growing Civil War in nearby Cyprus – which tended to overshadow it for a time – and the domestic political difficulties of the various powers involved.

In May and June the initial allied coalition, consisting of the United States, the Soviet Union, Great Britain, Turkey, France and Jordan (with some other minor allies in supporting positions), quickly removed the Bayanouni clerical regime from power by force. That renegade regime, and the fear that it would destabilize the Middle East by spreading its revolutionary message to other countries, had been the source of a collective fear that brought these disparate powers, including Cold War rivals, together. The Syrian intervention was the first joint US-Soviet military operation since World War II, while the historic rivalry between the Soviets and Turkey extended far back into their history, long before the current regimes that ruled them in 1974. With the Bayanouni threat gone (he was killed along with a number of key followers in June) the common thread that held the alliance together began to fray.

During the summer Turkey suffered a humiliating military defeat during its attempt to intervene in the Cypriot Civil War. That Turkish military operation failed in part because they could not deploy enough forces to Cyprus to be effective against the Greek Cypriot government and its backers in the Greek military. Turkish armour and support troops were tied-up either in operations in Syria, or in guarding against a feared assault by Soviet Red Army troops who had been allowed to cross Turkish territory en route to Syria, under heavy Turkish and American guard. The civil government of Turkey fell as a result of the Turkish military defeat in Cyprus that summer. To prevent a military coup, President Fahir Koroturk instituted direct Presidential rule and dissolved parliament. Turkish democracy was the first victim of the Syrian intervention and he Cypriot Civil War.

Turkish authorities, from the President on down, bristled at the situation, and were particularly aggrieved as they watched ethnic Turks being attacked by the Greek Cypriot military. Although Turkey armed ethnic Turkish partisans, who started a guerrilla war against the Cyprus government, and sent American trained Special Forces units into Cyprus to help them with tactics and training, the situation on mainland precluded a direct Turkish military intervention. This was highly unpopular at home, and became a point of great criticism of the Turkish regime throughout the Islamic world. A revival of Islamism in secular Turkey gained many new adherents during this period.

As the Turks sought to sooth their national pride, they became more bellicose with their American and Soviet allies in Syria. Ankara, which had been given a role in bringing together a new Syrian regime once the Muslim Brotherhood forces had been defeated, became increasingly more truculent in vetoing candidates for the new government. This caused a tremendous headache for the other allies because each of them knew that unless Turkey was appeased and reassured of security on its southern border, any solution in Syria was doomed in the long run.

Apart from the Turks, the other allies had difficulties of their own. The election of Socialist Francois Mitterand as President of France lead to the withdrawal of the French elements of the coalition force. Their replacements, mostly recruited from former French colonies in Africa and the Spanish Legion, proved barely adequate to the task of patrolling Syria and maintaining order amidst a restive population. The British contingent was distracted by increasing violence back home, and although a professional force, their numbers were kept at a minimum by the Heath government (which had held secret from the British people during the February general election that it was going to participate in this action). Increasingly, the United States, the Soviets and the Turks became the principal partners in the exercise, and none of the three was on the best of speaking terms with the others.

The United States and the Soviet Union, through their intelligence agencies, began to intrigue to push their preferred candidates to the head of the new Syrian government. Bayanouni’s body was barely cold before the Cold War reasserted its ugly head. It is not clear that this was completely a product of US policy as made at the White House; then CIA Director Paul Nitze was a hawk on Cold War matters, and opposed détente: there seems ample evidence that he was using the agency he headed to pursue an agenda of his own, namely supplanting the former pro-Soviet Syrian military regime with a pro-western one, which in his Cold War calculus would be a strategic victory for the United States.

The Soviet commander, General Sergey Akhromeyev, complained loudly and often about this activity to the American commander, General Bernard Rogers, who was also – nominally – the overall commander of the Allied force. General Rogers indulged Akhromeyev, and may have had his own suspicions about what Nitze’s field operatives were up to, but he did not share Langley’s confidence, so often he was as much in the dark about CIA activity as Akhromeyev. Rogers wrote a number of long cables to Washington complaining about the intelligence activity, and on several occasions tried to override the authority of CIA officers in the field; all with limited effect.

The KGB meanwhile had been tasked by the Soviet leadership in Moscow – of which their boss Yuri Andropov was now an even more important member since the fall of Leonid Brezhnev from power the previous spring – with restoring the old Soviet client regime in Damascus. Mikhail Suslov, the Party ideologue and Communist hard liner, who was in effect the new Communist Party General Secretary, did not have absolute control in Moscow, but he was now one of the more powerful voices in the Soviet regime. Suslov had only allowed the joint exercise with the Americans because his advisors told him that this was the only way that the Soviet Union could get its own boots on the ground in Syria. Akhromeyev had gone into Syria with a clear understanding from his bosses that nothing short of a return by Syria to its position as a Soviet client state was an acceptable outcome for the Kremlin. General Akhromeyev, unlike his American counterpart, gave full license to the Soviet intelligence service to do what it wanted.

The point that all this missed was that while Bayanouni was dead, and his nascent Caliphate liquidated, the inspiration that he had represented to hundreds of thousands – perhaps millions – of Muslims across the Middle East had not faded away. That soon became clear as the level of violence in Syria against western and Soviet troops began to rise. It began with sniping and an occasional grenade being thrown at allied forces.

Then insurgents began to operate in small units, often crossing the border from Lebanon to attack US or allied formations or bases. Lebanon was largely ignored in the Syrian operation, and this proved to be a fatal error in judgment. During his brief Caliphate Bayanouni had sent a number of disciples into Lebanon to recruit followers among the Palestinian Diaspora encamped there, and among disaffected Lebanese Muslims. They found a receptive audience. When Bayanouni’s regime fell, and Bayanouni himself was killed, the remainder of his followers melted into Lebanon and began to tell the story of the great leader’s martyrdom at the hands of infidels. The nascent Jihad soon had an abundance of new recruits, all young, zealous – and some already trained by the PLO and other Palestinian militant organizations in the use of arms. Before long they were organizing guerrilla bands to sneak back across the border to strike their blows against the infidels. The worsening situation in Cyprus, and especially the burning of mosques by the Greek Cypriot military forces, only added fire to their zeal.

A turning point came at a battle known as Petraeus’ Stand. Second Lieutenant David Petraeus of the 509th Airborne Combat team was leading a squad in support of a local meet and greet of village elders being conducted by a JAG Corps officer assigned to a civil affairs unit, a Captain William J. Clinton. While traveling between villages the American unit was attacked by guerrilla forces, and Petraeus lead a successful counterattack which saved the unit. Only one soldier, a Private Bruce Willis from New Jersey, was killed in that action. But it wasn’t long before this incident was being portrayed in Lebanon and among the Syrian population as an example of western soldiers attacking peaceful Muslims (in this version the Petraeus’ soldiers attacked peaceful travellers). Attacks soon escalated.

General Rogers tried to maintain restraint among allied troops, having learned in Vietnam the value of a measured response against an enemy who moved among the local population. Akhromeyev showed no such restraint: he ordered Soviet tanks to bombard a village from which some of his troops had been shot at. The insurgents had already fled the location, and the allied command soon had a massacre on its hands. This incident in late October, together with the Petraeus incident two weeks earlier, became the typing point as Syria opened-up into a full scale war.

As events developed in Cyprus, and the Turks stood by helplessly, and the west seemed unwilling to intervene with the same force they had used in Syria – this time to save a Muslim population – the battles in Syria became an expression of wrath over both conflicts.

For the U.S. the conflict escalated further from a political perspective just before the November elections when a reporter for the The Tennessean, who was in Syria reporting on a Tennessee National Guard unit that was a part of the U.S. force, was taken hostage by anti-western guerrillas. The reporter was Albert Gore Jr., the son of a once prominent U.S. Senator from Tennessee, Albert Gore Sr. Photos of an obviously cowed Gore Jr. tied to a chair before an Islamic banner, surrounded by masked, heavily armed men, soon appeared in various newspapers and magazines around the world. The hostage takers seemed to have some appreciation that Gore came from a prominent family, because they directed their threats to his safety to Gore senior by name.

“Gore, father of Gore, we urge you to tell your President to leave the lands of Islam. The life of your son is in our hands, and in yours. Father of Gore, tell your President who has no sons, that he must act to save yours.”

The retired Senator did in fact become a vocal opponent of the Syrian intervention.

When General Rogers had taken command of the allied force at the beginning of August he had been told that he would be withdrawing by the time of the U.S. mid-term elections in November. On November 5, 1974 he had forty U.S. casualties and a serious hostage incident on his hands, and there was no sign that any meaningful Syrian national government would be formed anytime soon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article I of the US Constitution gives both Houses of Congress the right to set the rules for how their officers are chosen. Apart from mentioning that the House will have a Speaker and the Senate a President pro tempore, there is nothing more specific. The House could choose anyone it wants as its Speaker subject only to its own rules, which it could wave on a motion of its majority if it chose, because these are not Constitutional requirements.

The manouever I used to elect James Gavin Speaker and place him next in the line of succession (he met the constitutional criteria to succeed to the Presidency) is quite constitutional and could be done at any time. The House leadership agreed and got the majority of their members behind electing him Speaker, and waving whatever House rules were in the way of that happening.

In fact, something like this would only be done in an extraordinary circumstance such as the one that occurred in this TL, and only because Speaker Carl Albert did not want to be President, and did not want James Eastland (President pro tempore of the Senate) to be President either. A more ambitious Speaker such as Tip O'Neill or Sam Rayburn or Newt Gingrich simply would have let history take its course and let themselves "become" acting President in due course.

Of note, James Gavin, when he was Speaker, had no vote in the House - only seated members from the States have that right. His duties as Speaker were largely ceremonial and did not involve him in any way with the impeachment of Agnew (in fact he wasn't appointed Speaker until after that matter had passed to the Senate for trial). Carl Albert as Deputy Speaker remained the boss.

Drew, many thanks for this - I really learned something today! Your latest update is very good. I'm looking forward to reading more.

November 5, 1974 - "The Tuesday Night Massacre"

United States Senate elections

Alabama: James Allen (D) (inc. – primary defeat)
Albert Brewer (D) 88.2% - Democratic hold
Others: 11.8%

Alaska: Mike Gravel (D) (inc.) 58.3%- Democratic hold
C.R. Lewis (R) 41.7%

Arizona: Barry Goldwater (R) (inc.) 54.2% - Republican hold
Jonathan Marshall (D) 45.8%

Arkansas: J. William Fulbright (D) (inc. – primary defeat)
Dale Bumpers (D) 84.3% -Democratic hold
John H. Jones (R) 15.7%

California: Alan Cranston (D) (inc) 56.4% -Democratic hold
H.L Richardson (R) 40.3%
Others: 3.3%

Colorado: Gary Hart (D) 60.4% - Democratic pick-up
Peter Dominick (R) (inc) 36.3%
Others: 3.3%

Connecticut: Abraham Ribicoff (D) (inc) 63.7% - Democratic hold
James A. Brannen III (R) 34.3%

Florida: Edward J. Gurney (R) (inc – retired)
Richard Stone (D) 47.2% - Democratic pick-up
Jack Eckerd (R) 37.1%
Others: 15.7%

Georgia: Herman Talmadge (D) (inc. – retired)
Gov. James E. Carter (D) 64.5% - Democratic hold
Jerry Johnson (R) 35.5%

Hawaii: Daniel Inouye (D) (inc) 82.9% - Democratic hold
James D. Kimmel (I) 17.1%

Idaho: Frank Church (D) (inc) 58.6% - Democratic hold
Robert L. Smith (R) 41.4%

Illinois: Adlai Stevenson III (D) (inc) 64.1% - Democratic hold
George M. Burditt (R) 35.9%

Indiana: Birch Bayh (D) (inc) 52.8% - Democratic hold
Richard Lugar (R) 44.3%
Others: 2.9%

Iowa: Harold Hughes (D) (inc – retired)
John Culver (D) 54.2% -Democratic hold
David Stanley (R) 45.1%
Others: 0.7%

Kansas: Robert Dole (R) (inc) 48.3%
William R. Roy (D) 51.7% - Democratic pick-up

Kentucky: Marlow Cook (R) (inc) 45.1%
Wendell Ford (D) 52.4% -Democratic pick-up
Others: 2.4%

Louisiana: Russell B. Long (D) (inc) 100% (unopposed) -Democratic hold

Maryland: Charles Mathias (R) (inc) 57.3% -Republican hold
Barbara Mikuski (D) 42.7%

Missouri: Thomas Eagleton (D) (inc) 62.7% -Democratic hold
Thomas B. Curtis (R) 36.7%
Others: 0.6%

Nevada: Alan Bible (D) (inc – retired)
Harry Reid (D) 47.2% - Democratic hold
Paul Laxalt (R) 46%
Others: 6.8%

New Hampshire: Norris Cotton (R) (inc – retired)
John A. Durkin (D) 51.4% - Democratic pick-up
Louis C. Wyman (R) 47.9%
Others: 0.7%

New York: Jacob Javits (R) (inc) 44.2% -Republican Hold
Ramsey Clark (D) 39.9%
Others: 15.9%

North Carolina: Sam Ervin (D) (inc – retired)
Robert B. Morgan (D) 60.1% -Democratic Hold
William E. Stevens (R) 38.8%
Others: 1.1%

North Dakota: Milton Young (R) (inc) 48.1%
William L. Guy (D) 48.5% - Democratic pick-up
Others: 3.4%

Ohio: William B. Saxbe (R) (inc.) 43%
John Glenn (D) 54.3% - Democratic pick-up
Others: 2.7%

Oklahoma: Harry Bellmon (R) (inc) 48.8%
Ed Edmondson (D) 49.1 % - Democratic pick-up
Others. 2.1%

Oregon: Robert Packwood (R) (inc) 52.1% -Republican hold
Betty Roberts (D) 46.9%
Others: 1%

Pennsylvania: Richard Schweiker (R) (inc) 50.1% - Republican hold
Peter F. Flaherty (D) 48.8%

South Carolina: Ernest Hollings (D) (inc.) 68.2% - Democratic hold
Gwenyfred Bush (R) 29.9%
Others: 1.9%

South Dakota: George McGovern (D) (inc) 49.8%
Joseph J. Foss (R) 50.2% - Republican pick-up

Utah: Wallace Burns (R) (inc – retired)
Jake Garn (R) 47.8 % - Republican hold
Wayne Owens (D) 46.3%
Others: 5.9%

Vermont: George Aiken (R) (inc – retired)
Patrick Leahy (D) 53.1% - Democratic pick-up
Richard W. Mallary (R) 42.8%
Others: 4.1%

Washington: Warren G. Magnuson (D) (inc) 60.7% - Democratic hold
Jack Metcalf (R) 36.1%
Others: 3.2%

Wisconsin: Gaylord Nelson (D) (inc) 61.8% -Democratic hold
Tom Petri (R) 35.8%
Others: 2.4%

Democratic pick-ups: +9
Democratic losses: -1
Net gain: +8

Republican losses: - 9
Republican pick-ups: + 1
Net losses: - 8

Senate: change from the 93rd to the 94th Congress:

Democrats: 51 + 8 = 59
Republicans: 46 – 8 = 38
Independents: 3 +/- 0 = 3

Sen. Mike Mansfield (D-MT) remains Senate Majority Leader
Sen. Hugh Scott (R-PA) remains Senate Minority Leader

United States House of Representatives elections

House of Representatives: change from the 93rd to the 94th Congress:

Democrats: 230 + 31 = 261
Republicans: 204 – 31 = 173
Independents: 1 – 1 +1 = 1

Rep. Carl Albert (D-OK) remains Speaker of the House
Rep. John J. McFall (D-CA) remains House Majority Leader

Rep. Gerald R. Ford (R-MI) remains House Minority Leader

House of Representatives Races of note:

Louisiana 5th (Northeast Louisiana)

Otto Passman (D) (inc) 32%
Bill Lovesay (R) 34 %
James W. Swaggart (I) 34 %

Run-off (December 11, 1974)

James W. Swaggart (I) 61.1% - Independent pick-up
Bill Lovesay (R) 38.9%

Massachusetts 5th (Boston area)

Donald R. Dwight (R) (inc) 51.8% - Republican hold
John F. Kerry (D) 46.6%
Others: 1.6%

West Virginia 4th (South of State)

Kenneth Hechler (D) (inc) 49.1%
Rev. Marvin Horan (R) 49.3% - Republican pick-up
Others: 1.6%

Gubernatorial elections of note:

California Gubernatorial election

Jerry Brown (D) 48.90001%* (3,193,319)
Barry Goldwater Jr. (R) 48.89999%* (3,193,317)
Others: 2.2%* (143,177)
*Preliminary count disputed: Result to be determined by recount.*

Maine Gubernatorial election

George Mitchell (D) 39%
James B. Longley (I) 38%
James S. Erwin (R) 21%
Others: 2%
Governor-elect: George Mitchell; Democratic hold

Massachusetts Gubernatorial election

Francis W. Sargent (R) (inc) 33.5%
A Republican

Thomas P. (“Tip”) O’Neill (D) 62.3%
Michael Dukakis (Lt. Governor)

Others: 4.2%
Governor-elect Thomas P. O’Neill; Democratic pick-up

New York Gubernatorial election

Nelson Rockefeller (R) (inc) 45.9%
Hugh L. Carey (D) 51.5%
Other: 2.6%
Governor-elect Hugh L. Carey; Democratic pick-up

Ohio Gubernatorial election

John Gilligan (D) (inc) 49.8%
James Rhodes (R) 49.1%
Governor-elect John Gilligan; Democratic hold

South Carolina Gubernatorial election

W.J Bryan Dorn (D) 51.2%
James Edwards (R) 46.1%
Others: 2.7%
Governor-elect W.J. Bryan Dorn; Democratic hold

Virginia Gubernatorial election

Henry Howell (D) 51.1%
Mills E. Godwin (R) 48.9%
Governor-elect Henry Howell; Democratic pick-up
(Note: This election occurred on November 6, 1973, at the height of the Agnew crisis)

Other:

Louisiana State Legislature 20th District (Caldwell Parish)

W. Fox McKeithen (D) 93.3% - Democratic hold
Others: 6.7%

----------------------------------------------------------------------

November 6, 1974

Comments attributed to Prince Charles which seem to criticize recent government action and the Prevention of Terrorism Act are published in The New Statesman:

“There is a real problem of course, but there has been an over-reaction too, I think. I have to wonder if putting out such a harsh piece of legislation didn’t invite some of the violence. I’m not sure that we shouldn’t be putting our efforts into reaching an agreement with the other side instead of shooting first.”

The context in which these comments were made remains unclear; they appear to have been made either to a journalist off the record (which is what The New Statesman's editorial board claims), or to have been overheard from a private conversation and recorded without the Prince’s knowledge (the Palace’s claim; the Palace also calls the printed remarks “distorted” and “selective”). In the event, Prince Charles does not deny that the words are his, and makes no effort to alter or repudiate them.

This causes a problem for the Palace and the government, as it goes against the conventions of the British constitution for the heir to the throne to be seen publicly criticizing the government of the day in such a public fashion.

Adding to the problem is the fact that Prince Charles is a serving line officer in the Royal Navy, and with his remarks being published, he has committed a technical offense against the Queen’s Regulations which prohibit serving officers from engaging in political activity. The Admiralty now has to consider whether a court martial or a reprimand is in order for the Prince.

Prime Minister Heath: “This irresponsible journal has done nothing but mischief in publishing these apparently private comments - mischief for mischief's sake. This is not journalism, it is an injury to the nation."

Margaret Thatcher: “It behooves people in responsible positions to be careful about what they say and to whom they say it. I’m sure no one intended for the government to negotiate with murderers, that can’t have been the meaning. We don’t reward killers, we punish them. I’m sure any responsible person would agree with that policy.”

Billy McKee: “Who’d have expected sense from the British crown of all places? I’m ready to talk to the Prince anytime he wants to open a dialogue.”

Thatcher (when asked about McKee’s statement): “Utter nonsense. Rubbish! The man is just laughing at us.”

Barbara Castle MP (Shadow Minister for Northern Ireland): “So talking is utter nonsense, and breaking heads is a sensible policy? What times indeed. I think perhaps the illustrious personage could have been more discreet, but his remarks do contain a germ of sense, which is more than what I’ve heard from the government benches lately.”

November 7, 1974

At a meeting in Ottawa, President Gavin and Prime Minister Stanfield agree to improve intelligence and police co-operation between the United States and Canada. The US is concerned that violent US radicals are finding safe havens in Canada. The Canadian government is worried about the potential violence and disorder that could be caused by the presence of these US fugitives in Canada.

November 9, 1974

John Turner MP, the former Finance Minister and Justice Minister of Canada, is elected to lead the opposition Liberal Party.

Status
Not open for further replies.