Map of the Fortnight: Topic thread

Krall

Banned
The problems I have with "Freedom, Equality, Sisterhood" are mainly that gender conflict cannot reasonably be analogous to racial conflict - the two are inherently dissimilar - and that the challenge as described in ah-sue's post is overly specific in many areas.

An idea related in spirit to the "Freedom, Equality, Sisterhood" idea could be to have a map showing a nation in the 20th century that maintains a medieval culture and society (e.g. Afghanistan under the Taliban, or an alternate Japan that stayed isolationist), or a map related to this state coming out of its medieval ravine, or a map showing how this state got into this ravine in the first place.

Oh my goodness, the voting for MoF 17: May God Have Mercy On My Enemies has been over for quite a while now! And the winner is...

Jman!

Whilst most entries to this challenge concerned the medieval era, Jman's focused on post-colonial Africa and speculated on the success of a pan-African state under a genius military leader. Presented as a page of a modern textbook, Jman's map definitely stood out as the outlier in terms of theme, concept and presentation. Well done, that man. :)

Now, as for the "Epitome of Classical Antiquity" challenge, I was thinking of posting it under the name "In Absentia", for - hopefully - obvious reasons. Thoughts?

Congrats to Jman :D

I just had a thought for a future idea. The Cartographers World, a map based on the history of the world assuming that a single ancient or medieval cartographer/historian along the lines of Herodotus, John Mandeville or Marco Polo was completely accurate in their depiction of the world.

Thande

Donor
Congrats to Jman :D

I just had a thought for a future idea. The Cartographers World, a map based on the history of the world assuming that a single ancient or medieval cartographer/historian along the lines of Herodotus, John Mandeville or Marco Polo was completely accurate in their depiction of the world.

I like this idea. There have already been a couple of examples, Imajin did one with Ptolemy and B_Munro did one with a traveller whose name I can't remember who was a contemporary of Marco Polo's.

The problems I have with "Freedom, Equality, Sisterhood" are mainly that gender conflict cannot reasonably be analogous to racial conflict - the two are inherently dissimilar - and that the challenge as described in ah-sue's post is overly specific in many areas.

Well I can't see why there should be an analogy to racial conflict - seems like 'man thinking' to me.

I got some support - how about a vote?

Krall

Banned
Well I can't see why there should be an analogy to racial conflict - seems like 'man thinking' to me.
Oh come on :rolleyes:

Indeed. That comment would have been totally legitimate and self-evident on its own, but the "man thinking" comment was uncalled for and nonsensical.

I got some support - how about a vote?

The MoF challenge has never been decided by vote, and it doesn't need to be; that would just be another thread I'd have to worry about posting every week or two. I'm bad enough at keeping up with the schedule as it is!

Indeed. That comment would have been totally legitimate and self-evident on its own, but the "man thinking" comment was uncalled for and nonsensical.
Thus speaks a man.

The MoF challenge has never been decided by vote, and it doesn't need to be; that would just be another thread I'd have to worry about posting every week or two. I'm bad enough at keeping up with the schedule as it is!
Well, the flag challenge operates on the winner setting the next challenge and setting up the poll. Adopting that idea would save your worry and scheduling problems. :)

Here's a not so very good idea...

Reverse Civil War: Depict the results of an alternate US Civil War where an abolitionist North secedes from a Slaver/Southern dominated Union. POD must be no earlier than 1840.

Here's a not so very good idea...

Reverse Civil War: Depict the results of an alternate US Civil War where an abolitionist North secedes from a Slaver/Southern dominated Union. POD must be no earlier than 1840.
It's actually a nice idea.
I prefer it( and the Epitome of classical antiquity thingy) over the "equality,liberty, sisterhood" because I think there are much more oppurtunities for maps.

Thus speaks a man.

Gonna have to agree with the girls on this one. I think 'man thinking' is a legitimate call to make. I think a simple "A map based on an armed struggle for gender equality and/or women's rights, or the effects of such a struggle", might be the way to go.

I think In Absentia should come first though.

I still like some version of Freedom, Equality, Sisterhood, but I like In Absentia a lot too so I'm fine with that. Freedom, Equality, Sisterhood actually inspired me to think of an even broader challenge though...

The Central Conflict of History: In OTL, different groups had different ideas about which conflict is the "engine" that drives history. Marxists said it was class conflict, the proletariat vs. the bourgeois, Nazis thought it was racial conflict, the Aryans vs. the Jews, and liberals thought it was political conflict between liberty and tyranny. Create a map of the world, a region, or a state where an alternate ideology has arisen which claims some other conflict is central to history, e.g. gender, intelligence, age, etc. No flagrant ASB (meaning no actual magic, but it can be implausible as long as you follow the Rule of Cool ;) ), but any time period.

Also, not to brag, but I just won two in a row? Yeeeeeah booooy! :D :p

Krall

Banned
I would support a variant of "Freedom, Equality, Sisterhood" that, instead of focusing specifically on women's rights, depicted a country that maintained "medieval" values in a more modern age (for example Taliban-ruled Afghanistan, or Japan during its isolation) or the conflict that ended this unjust state of government.

I would support a variant of "Freedom, Equality, Sisterhood" that, instead of focusing specifically on women's rights, depicted a country that maintained "medieval" values in a more modern age (for example Taliban-ruled Afghanistan, or Japan during its isolation) or the conflict that ended this unjust state of government.
With respect, that's not a variant, it's a quite different subject.

Krall

Banned
With respect, that's not a variant, it's a quite different subject.

I said it was a variant on the challenge because the enforced inferiority of women and male-only suffrage are common and occasionally prominent features of such "medieval" societies. I admit it does warrant a term a bit stronger than "variant", but it's a related topic and one more likely to bring about good maps with plausible, well thought-out backgrounds.

Thande

Donor
I said it was a variant on the challenge because the enforced inferiority of women and male-only suffrage are common and occasionally prominent features of such "medieval" societies. I admit it does warrant a term a bit stronger than "variant", but it's a related topic and one more likely to bring about good maps with plausible, well thought-out backgrounds.

"...so shut up and get back in the kitchen!"

I'm sorry