Weekly Flag Challenge: New Challenges & Previous Winners

We have a winner!

Congrats to ah-sue for winning the latest round of the Weekly Flag Challenge. I have to admit I voted for this one more for the explanation, which was brilliant, more than the flag, which was still quite good.

Here is the wiining entry
attachment.php

We await the next challenge from you, sue.

NEW CHALLENGE 7 JUNE 2010 :

Newfoundland!

POD = No Canadian Confederation formed.

Scenario :
> May 1931 financial crisis
> September 1931 'Newfoundland Now' Party seizes power – strong support from fascist UK and Italy (EVENT POINT 1 = Flag of the Party)
> November 1933 Newfoundland ‘joins with’ British NE America (OTL, Canadian Provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Is.) with co-operation of UK government. (EVENT POINT 2)
> January 1934 British Columbia (independent dominion) declares itself a republic ('New Columbia'), later seeks to join USA
> July 1934 ‘The Yukon Purchase’ – by USA from Union of Canada, complicated financial/oil & mineral rights deal.
> August 1936 Border skirmishes between Newfoundland and Quebec Republic
> October 1936 Quebec Republic closes St Lawrence to traffic to/from Union of Canada
> February 1937 Fighting breaks out between Union of Canada and Quebec
> May 1937 Newfoundland and Union of Canada declare war on Quebec, UK sends military aid to assist against Quebec (France in throes of civil war, powerless to aid Quebec) (EVENT POINT 3)
> March 1938 Peace accord brokered by USA, Quebec cedes territory to Newfoundland and Union of Canada.
> January 1939 Newfoundland declared a corporate state republic. (EVENT POINT 4)

See maps attached

The Challenge:
Design a flag for any one of the 4 ‘Event Points’ listed above (1 being the Party Flag, 2-4 being the Newfoundland National Flag)

CLOSING DATE :
Midnight 11 June (GMT)

newfoundland-fasc.PNG

New Challenge 15 June 2001

POD : French General George Ernest Boulanger did not commit suicide on 30 September 1891, but lived until 1913, founding the ‘Sons of the Tricolour’ (a proto-fascist movement) in 1895.

French Empire restored 3 June 1896.
Napoleon Victor Jerome FredericBonaparte declared ‘Emperor Napoleon V’.
1897: Concern over French ambitions draws UK and Germany closer.
1898: UK and Germany agree on independent Orange Free State (OFS) and Transvaal.
1901: OFS and Transvaal unite as ‘South African Federation’ (SAF).
Tension between France and Portugal following sinking of French Warship off Madeira, 7 May 1901.
France declares war 5 June 1901.
Portugal surrenders 11 January 1902. Initial peace treaty calls for secession of Madeira and all Portuguese possessions in Africa to France.
UK, Germany and Austria-Hungary pressurise France into international conference.
Treaty of Budapest signed 27 June 1902. Portugal retains Madeira but her African Colonies divided between France, UK, Germany and the SAF.
Resentment at Treaty of Budapest leads to coup by ‘Sons of the Tricolour’ on 21 October 1902. Emperor remains, but solely as figurehead. Boulanger assumes title of Chef de l'Empire Français (‘Chief of the French Empire’) with Paul Deroulede (founder of the French League of Patriots, merged with ‘Sons of the Tricolour’ in 1898) as his First Minister. France quickly embarks on the modernisation and expansion of its armed forces.
Unrest in Belgium (fuelled by France) during 1905 leads to civil war from 26 December 1905. French and German involvement leads Europe to the brink of war when UK threatens to intervene. Civil war armistice on 30 April 1906. 22 November 1906 - division of Belgium – Walloon areas and city of Brussels become part of France, Flemish areas become independent state of Flanders barred from union with Netherlands for 20 years, Belgian Congo divided between France, UK and Germany.

The Challenge:
It mainly relates the effects on Africa by 1912. The attached map illustrates the new situation, with yellow lines showing 1912 OTL borders where different. As is my wont, I give 3 alternatives for this challenge –

1. Design a flag for the South African Federation, 1912.
(Note: Upon the establishment of the SAF a flag design competition was launched, one important criterion being that the new flag must not resemble too closely either the flag of the OFS or Transvaal).

2. Design a flag for the colony of British Central Africa, an amalgam of British possession which came into existence in 1905. (Note: In OTL there was a British Central Africa Protectorate from 1893-1907 when it became Nyasaland). Don’t feel restricted by the usual ‘red/blue ensign plus a colony badge’ of OTL, after all this is an ATL!

3. Design a flag for the French political party ‘Sons of the Tricolour’.

Sticking with the usual 4 days for entries, this challenge closes at midnight GMT on 19 June 2010.

Please respond and post entries in the Discussion And Entries thread.

map s africa 1912c.png

CONGRATULATIONS TO KATE THE GREAT (a newcomer to AH.com and to the flag challenge series) AND SOVEREIGN12, THE CO-WINNERS OF THE LATEST FLAG DESIGN CHALLENGE!
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=159007
They will together decide upon the next flag challenge over the next couple of days and then one or the other will post it on the discussion & entries thread.

KATE THE GREAT:

Blue, White & Orange = the traditional colors
4 Stars = 1 for each part of the Federation as shown in the map.

SOVEREIGN12:

When Napoleon Victor Jerome Frederic Bonaparte agreed to becoming Emperor Napoleon V he insisted that the national flag change back to the white Royal pavilion with the fleurs-de-lis. While the national spirit preferred the tradition tricolor, the white flag was adopted as the national flag. The tricolor was still used, but stood secondary to the Royal pavilion flag. When Boulanger and the Sons of the Tricolor take over the government a restructured tricolor is created to satisfy the people, while also showing the strength of the new government.

The traditional colors are still present with their meanings. The center white stripe has been changed to a fleur-de-lys made of three angular swords crossed by a horizontal lozenge. This is a nod to the emperor still being present, even if only as a figurehead.

The three swords represent Revanche (Revenge mostly towards Germany), Révision (Revision of the Constitution), and la République (well a republic under the power of the Sons of the Tricolor anyway).

The horizontal lozenge represents Marianne the national personification. While the flag is the only official national emblem of France, the government felt adding in the lozenge to represent Marianne would help assuage any resentment to changing the flag again.

6-24-2010.png

Last edited:
Thanks - I'm amazed (resists launching into tearful Oscar award speech :))!

Unfortunately, my work means I have to hit the road in the morning and be away from this board for some days. So I pass the baton to Sovereign12 for the next challenge.

Thank you and congratulations to Kate the Great!

Thanks - I'm amazed (resists launching into tearful Oscar award speech :))!

Unfortunately, my work means I have to hit the road in the morning and be away from this board for some days. So I pass the baton to Sovereign12 for the next challenge.

Okay.

Will need to think of something. As I am much too used to not winning, I hadn't thought of an idea for this eventuality.

I will post soon.

New Challenge on June 25, 2010

On June 7, 1610 the survivors of the Jamestown Starvation abandoned the colony by boarding ships and sailing towards the Chesapeake Bay. However, another supply convoy with new supplies which was headed by a newly-appointed governor, Thomas West (Baron De La Warr) intercepted the colonists on the lower James River and returned them to Jamestown. Within a few years, the commercialization of tobacco by John Rolfe secured the settlement's long-term economic prosperity.

POD: Thomas West does not make it to Virginia after most of his ships are sunk in stormy seas. The fleeing Jamestown colonists make it to Bermuda. Because of the cost of another lost colony in the London Company, the Plymouth Colony is extended to the 38th. Everything below the 38th is floated out to any potential buyers.

In December of 1610 the Swedish government (Charles the IX) bought out the charter for the London Company between the 34th and 38th parallels.

During the Kalmar War, King Christian IV of Denmark attacked Sweden (1611) but failed to accomplish his main objective of forcing Sweden to return to the union with Denmark. Yet, Sweden was forced to cede the territory of “Virginia” to Denmark. Denmark would use the territory to send colonists and undesirables. A few decades later the Danish and British would split the Dutch colony of New Netherlands after the 2nd Anglo-Dutch War.

The Challenge here is to create a flag for a free Danish successor state or a territory of the Danish Empire based in the Chesapeake area. Any year is allowed. I would like to see a bit of a historical explanation of why the flag looks like it does.

The map below is a rough guide as to the Danish possession.

The challenge closes at midnight GMT on June 29, 2010.

danish.png

New Challenge: July 4th
Closing Date for entries: July 8th, midnight GMT

Despite the date, I thought that as we'd just had a North American challenge, I'd bring it back to Europe:

On 13th December 2007, due to an 'administrative error' – or, as some Eurosceptics muttered darkly, deliberate sabotage by Eurocrats – the version of the Lisbon Treaty signed by the heads of state of the European Union was not the version that had previously been presented and discussed, but a draft including sweeping changes to the organisation and structure not only of the EU itself, but also the member states. No one noticed the substitution until the treaty had come into force on 1st December 2009.

Two extra articles had a particular impact:

firstly, all official business of the European Union would henceforth be conducted in Latin, as the only truly common language of the continent, beginning immediately with written business, and extending to debate and meetings within 2 years;

and secondly, to ease the problems of administration and organisation with 27 member states of vastly different sizes and populations, the EU would from 1st January 2010 be split into 50 states of approximately equal size. This meant, naturally, that in some cases territories would be aggregated together to reach the appropriate size, and in the larger (former) states new states would be formed by splitting up the existing state

This week's challenge: devise a flag for the new European state of Insulae Mediterraneae consisting of the following: Cyprus, Crete, Sicily, Malta, Sardinia, Corsica and the Balearic islands, including all small islands off the shores of these islands

alt islands.jpg

Thank you all very much :D

Unfortunately, I am currently on vacation, staying at my Grandma's house, so there may be a chance I will not be able to create a challenge (at least for the first 24 hours). I will inform you if I will not be able to do so, and if this is the case, I will pass the challenge to the runner up, Kate The Great.

Stay tuned ;)

EDIT: A Typhoon cut all power supplies for 46 million people in the Philippines, myself included, so now I have to stay in a hotel. I would probably be able to upload the challenge sometime tomorrow, maybe before 10 GMT

Last edited:
New Challenge: July 15th
Closing Date for entries: July 19th, midnight GMT

Continuing with our movement eastwards, the challenge is now brought to Asia.

POD: After the Bojinka Plot of the early 1990s succeeds and a series of bombing campaigns, Muslim insurgents manage to take de facto control of most Muslim majority areas in South East Asia, as per their Islamic Superstate in South East Asia plot. Subsequently, a new state is announced, the Al-Jumhuriyyah Al-Islamiyyah Fi Junoob Sharqi Asiyyah, usually referred to as just "The Islamic Republic"

(The Islamic Republic in South East Asia / الجمهورية الاسلامية في جنوب شرق آسيا)

This superstate consists of the Indonesian Archipelago, Borneo, Malaysia, some Muslim majority regions of Thailand, and the former Philippine regions of Mindanao and the Sulu Archipelago, excluding East Timor. This gives the state a total population of about 282,300,000. The Capital is Jakarta

The administrative regions are:
-Provinsi Jawa (Region Capital : Ruled from the National Capital, Jakarta)
-Provinsi Sumatra (Regional Capital : Banda Aceh)
-Provinsi Sulawesi (Regional Capital : Makassar)
-Provinsi Malaya (Regional Capital : Kuala Lumpur)
-Provinsi Irian Jaya (Regional Capital : Manokwari)
-Provinsi Mindanao (Regional Capital : Davao)
-Provinsi Kalimantan (Regional Capital : Samarinda)
-Provinsi Sabah & Sarawak (Regional Capital : Bandar Seri Begawan)

These are further subdivided into counties.

As they are not recognised, the de jure governments rule in exile from Singapore, which has not been taken over.

The Challenge: Design a flag for this new *state* to be used on all levels. If possible, avoid any thing overtly resembling the flag of Saudi Arabia, but the use of the Shahada is permitted. Map included below:

SuperBlue.png

Last edited:
The Winners are Kate the Great, and Sovereign 12!

Kate's Entry:

attachment.php

Sovereign's Entry

attachment.php

Congratulations to both of you, and we look forward to the new challenge!

Wow, weird!
(We tied before.)

Since Kate couldn't do the challenge when we tied previously, allowing me the privilege of it, I think it is only fair that she gets to do this one on her own.

New Challenge: July 24th
Closing Date for entries: July 28th, midnight GMT

The global financial crisis had widespread effects, one of which was that the Cistercian Monks on Caldey Island had to abandon their now no longer viable residence on the little Welsh island, just as the Benedictine monks had to do in 1925. As part of the campaign to reduce the UK massive debt, the government eventually agreed a plan by a group of wealthy atheists. Under the plan, in consideration for a very large sum of money the island (situated just off the mainland town of Tenby) would be granted the status of a self-governing British Crown Dependency, similar to that of the Isle of Man. This status would allow the island to produce its own coins and banknotes, postage stamps and flag. It would also, to a certain extent, be able to pass its own laws.

The atheists named their new domain “The British Crown Dependency of Dawkinsia”, in honour of the scientist and atheist Richard Dawkins, who was not connected with the new owners and was said to be embarrassed by the new name.

The new ruling council are looking for a flag and you are invited to submit an entry. Obviously, there should be no overt reference in the flag to religion of any type.

Dawkinsia.png

As the map shows, the small island formerly known as Spur Island has been renamed Sagan Island in honour of the scientist Carl Sagan. When the space probes Pioneer 10 and 11 were launched in 1972 and 1973 respectively they each carried a plaque devised by Sagan to inform intelligent extraterrestrial creatures about our location and appearance; part of that plaque depicted a male and female human. The Humanist factor is a large one in the ruling council of Dawkinsia, thus the use of the plaque's "humans representation" is deemed most appropriate and is set in a central oval field on the new flag.

The flag's background is diagonally bisected, half in sky blue (representing the environment and freedom) and half in pale lilac/mauve (a traditional colour for emancipation and equality).

Good afternoon,

Entries go in the entry thread please.