Map of the Fortnight: Topic thread

Some scenarios:

Long After The End - Post-apocalyptic world where civilisation is devastated in the 2200s and society develops again along different cultural and technological analogues. Scenario inspired by Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines universe.

Slavs and Greeks - The Bulgarian-Serbian Wars end with much kiss-and-make-up and Serbia and Bulgaria unite, pulling in the little Byzantine state to stand against the rising Ottoman power. Now it is the 1900s, centuries after the historic unification.

Any War to End All Wars - Create a map of a world war, either at the very brink of war, or at the conclusion of the war. The only catch is: the Point of Diversion must be before 1200.

Krall

Banned
Yay my suggestion got to be a topic!

Indeed it did. It was nice and general, whilst providing some sort of overriding theme for the contest. It was also rather popular amongst people in the thread itself.

My personal favourite for MoF 15 is Municipal Engines' "Long After The End - Post-apocalyptic world where civilisation is devastated in the 2200s and society develops again along different cultural and technological analogues. Scenario inspired by Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines universe." suggestion, but as always this is subject to public opinion.

My personal favourite for MoF 15 is Municipal Engines' "Long After The End - Post-apocalyptic world where civilisation is devastated in the 2200s and society develops again along different cultural and technological analogues. Scenario inspired by Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines universe." suggestion, but as always this is subject to public opinion.

Good, but i would propose (ironical reverse subject) "Cradle of Civilizations" with alternative frist cultures, instead of Mesopotamia, Egypt, China or different expension of it

Just throwing this idea out for a future MoF.

How about a map of the invasion by the martians in 1899 somewhere other than in the UK. It could be an actual battle map or the world 10 years after the event.

The map should be made based on the way the martians invade is similar to that of the War of the Worlds book (eg number of landings, number of tripods,...etc)

Penelope

Banned
Just throwing this idea out for a future MoF.

How about a map of the invasion by the martians in 1899 somewhere other than in the UK. It could be an actual battle map or the world 10 years after the event.

The map should be made based on the way the martians invade is similar to that of the War of the Worlds book (eg number of landings, number of tripods,...etc)

heart_pic9.gif

I love this idea. I think I'll make love to it now.

Krall

Banned
We really shouldn't allow fantasy/ASB in something that was clearly intended to be somewhat realistic.

I'm not overly concerned about whether the maps are from a fantasy or sci-fi world or not, provided they keep to the general theme of the challenge.

Ah, I see that voting for MoF 13: ALL ABOARD! has ended! And the winner is...

Sir Scott

With his inventive and interesting Ultimate London Underground map. Sir Scott's map definitely stood out from the crowd, and it appears that the voters like a cartographer that's not afraid to try something new and unconventional. Well done, old bean. :)

After MoF 14: THE KING IS DEAD!, I think that I'll use either the "Long After the End" or the "Cradle of Civilisations" suggestions for MoF 15. I think we've had a lot of vague, all-encompassing challenges, though, so I'll try to return to the more specific AH challenges of the past with MoF 16.

I've a suggestion for a future MoF challenge;

The Empires No One Suspected; a Map showing an Empire/Large Nation that no one would have though could happen before it did.

I Count a King - A map showing the aftermath of a count, duchy, or small kingdom inheriting the throne of a much larger nation. May be just after the inheritance, or up to a century afterward.

Some ideas I originally proposed to the Flag Challenge, but may work here too:

The Technocratic Union: create a map showing a nation that successfully becomes a Technocracy and a Great Power - it can be in any nation and with any definition of "technocracy".

The Filibuster Republic: the XIX century was full of ambitious adventurers, personal armies and unstable non-civilized regions. The result of these things was some very short-lived and unusual nations, such as the Republic of Sonora, the Republic of Acre and the Kingdom of Sarawak. Create a map for one (or many) of those "Filibuster" states (from OTL or ATL) that manages to survive - it doesn't have to survive until present day, but it must exist for over 50 years.

And two more specific ideas:

"A peace to end all peaces": create a map for a world where, from 1914 onwards, there wasn't a single war involving any major power. It can be set in any year between 1950 and 2000.

Bolivar's dream: a map showing an united Latin America, as Simon Bolivar dreamed with. It does not need to control all of Latin America, obviously, but there must be a nation that incorporates at least two OTL independent Latin American nations, and it must be at least a Major Power in the world. The map must be set in 1983, 200 years after Bolivar was born.

Krall

Banned
Some good suggestions, I'd like to hear what you guys think about them, though, so I can choose the most popular one.

Agemennon, your map doesn't really meet the requirements of the challenge. As terrible as the zombie infection of the entire East coast of the US would be, it doesn't really constitute an apocalypse, and society hasn't re-emerged post-apocalypse and redeveloped along different cultural and technological lines...

I've a suggestion for a future MoF challenge;

The Empires No One Suspected; a Map showing an Empire/Large Nation that no one would have though could happen before it did.

Would OTL Mongol and Arab empires work as examples?

African Superpower - no Draka analogues!

Geopolitics on a flat earth (for one thing, the southern hemisphere nations are a lot farther apart... )

The Rise of a New World Religion

A different cold war - the US and the USSR allied against...? (No Nazis!)

Bruce

Agemennon, your map doesn't really meet the requirements of the challenge. As terrible as the zombie infection of the entire East coast of the US would be, it doesn't really constitute an apocalypse, and society hasn't re-emerged post-apocalypse and redeveloped along different cultural and technological lines...

I'd disagree.

The infection is not, and was not, limited to the East Coast. The East Coast merely became the epicenter of the Zombie virus for North America, as is said in the accompanying written piece for the Map, there are additional quarantine zones in Europe, and Africa and Asia are in complete chaos.

The entire map is based off Valve's Left4Dead and Left4Dead 2 games (not completely canon, but its an AH of an AH).

In the Left 4 Dead universe, the population of the Eastern seaboard is reduced to near zero, and we're left to guess about the situation in the rest of the world, the map represents part of my interpretation.

Cultural change, while possible, is rather hard to interpret through a map in my opinion, however there are several subtle points in the written piece which allude to cultural change (The fact that there are only 20 member states in the UN, the rumors of brief nuclear war in Iran, the fact that most of the internal states of the US have been clumped together into territories, and the two most-populous Canadian provinces being reduced into a territory of their own), of course, this is all beyond the obvious cultural change in the fact that Humanity can no longer be considered the only contender primary species on the planet, and the "Zombies" are a clear, and powerful opponent. Technological change on the other hand is a matter of debate. It can be inferred that life in the territories likely consists of scavenging for resources, as most of the equipment that existed for processing is either inoperable or no one knows how to operate it.