Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My entry for the latest map contest.

One of them Vikings hang around in N. America TLs...

Tshominkow is remembered as one of the greatest of the High Kings, although his extraodinary military achievements were partly reversed after his death due to sucession squabbles. Ironically, the warrior-king would not be slain in battle by his many foes, or overthrown by a nobility grown alarmed over the overextension of the Empire's forces, but assasinated by a favorite slave, a man of Iroqouian blood resentful of his homeland's loss of autonomy and direct incorporation into the Empire.

In retrospect, Tshominkow shines so brightly because none of his successors would extend the bounds of Empire any further than he had, and the next two centuries would see a slow decline that would in time see the Empire saddled with the unflattering title of "sick man of Ericsland."

Bruce

PS-sorry if the mountain kingdoms look like a bunch of sick amebas, but I'll be a bit too busy the next few days to get much more done on this before the submission date...

ContestmapKingDead.png

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I removed these all together. The only reason they were there was because the base map I used had no color.

Fixed. :) Thank you.

Even though the whole map is pretty implausible, I figured Trient/Venezia/Istria would be a bit too much. Perhaps Bozen and other German speaking areas could be negotiated in return for a hefty sum of reichsmarks and guns. :p

Photoshop, mein freund.

Anyway, I changed almost all of the city/country names to those of their native tongue. I may have gone a little bit overboard.
It's a very good map, Semmi.:)

Last edited:
A map of Interbellum Europe.

Still working on the explenation, but the scenario goes roughly like this:
The Italians are knocked out of WWI, but the CP-s still lose.

I also played around with the German and Austrian borders. I used Susano-type borders in Posen and West Prussia, but gave Poland more of Upper Silesia. Austria keept the German-speaking part of South Tyrol, the bitz of Carinthia lost to Slovenia and Italy, the part of southern Styria the Austrians didnt get OTL and Sopron.

Plus, ITTL the State od Serbs, Croats and Slovenes doesnt throw away its independence due to no Italians breathing down their necks.

Interbellum.png

Susano

Banned
I also played around with the German and Austrian borders. I used Susano-type borders in Posen and West Prussia, but gave Poland more of Upper Silesia.
Thats very difficult to make out. In fact, with that one bulge at the border it even looks like (even if it may not be so) as if Poland had gained more land there...

Hm, the Dodecanese is a result of the early Italian knockout?

And man, Serbia wont be happy.

Thats very difficult to make out. In fact, with that one bulge at the border it even looks like (even if it may not be so) as if Poland had gained more land there...

I did move the borders according to a map you posted in a tread a few months ago, but it really is hard to make out.:(

And I have Poland extra bitz of Upper Silesia based on a map of a preposed partition, giving Poland the Polish parts of Upper Silesia.

Hm, the Dodecanese is a result of the early Italian knockout?
Oops. But perhaps thats not too strage.:eek:

And man, Serbia wont be happy.

When is it ever happy?

Serbs in Hungary and Srem joined the Kingdom directly.

The Hungarians and Germans in Vojvodina had absolutely no vote, and not even all the Vojvodina Serbs wanted to join Serbia. Plus, by then the Serbian Army was overflowing Novi Sad. Srem was still a part of Croatia.

Montenegro also chose to join Serbia in 1918.
After the Serbian army had a entered Montenegro.

The Hungarians and Germans in Vojvodina had absolutely no vote, and not even all the Vojvodina Serbs wanted to join Serbia.

Yep, and I'm aware of the Banat Republic, which while inviable was pretty cool. However, in the circumstances, it was what the Serbs thought that counted.

Plus, by then the Serbian Army was overflowing Novi Sad.

Even more reason it won't be part of the SSCS. Welcome to 1919. :p

Srem was still a part of Croatia.

A local assembly joined the Kingdom in November, however.

After the Serbian army had a entered Montenegro.

True; and Alsace voted to rejoin France after the French army had entered Alsace. The "Greens" were outvoted, and their insurrection was a fizzle supported by a few diehards and the Italians. The Entente, in any case, has washed their hands of Nicholas.

Yep, and I'm aware of the Banat Republic, which while inviable was pretty cool. However, in the circumstances, it was what the Serbs thought that counted.

Even more reason it won't be part of the SSCS. Welcome to 1919.

Yes, but its not 1919. With the Italian front falling, Austria-Hungary doesnt collapse the same way, and the Serbian Army doesnt get the OTL opportunity to spam all over the balkans. Plus, the South Slavs serving in the Austro-Hungarian Army dont get captured by Italy.

A local assembly joined the Kingdom in November, however.
A local assembly of Srijem Serbs.:p Croats were still a large part of the Srijem populace in 1919.

A map of Interbellum Europe.

Still working on the explenation, but the scenario goes roughly like this:
The Italians are knocked out of WWI, but the CP-s still lose.

I also played around with the German and Austrian borders. I used Susano-type borders in Posen and West Prussia, but gave Poland more of Upper Silesia. Austria keept the German-speaking part of South Tyrol, the bitz of Carinthia lost to Slovenia and Italy, the part of southern Styria the Austrians didnt get OTL and Sopron.

Plus, ITTL the State od Serbs, Croats and Slovenes doesnt throw away its independence due to no Italians breathing down their necks.
Why does Finland have post-WWII borders?

Even though I think Montenegro would end up with Serbia, I back up shillinger when it comes to Vojvodina. The presence of the Serbian army and the inability of the SSCS to defend itself had a lot to do with joining Serbia. If these two factors are missing, plus the Hungarians and Germans get a say in the matter, I doubt the region would join Serbia.

Last edited:
This is my first map, as well as my first post. :D
It's still a work in progress, but I'm posting it now in hopes of getting some critizism.

The POD is in 1812, at which time Napoleon does not attempt an invasion of Russia. When the American War of 1812 breaks out, the French Empire intervenes on behalf of America in hopes of reclaiming North American territory lost to Britain after the Seven Years' War.

A peace agreement is reached in 1816, with France and America defeating Britain and reclaiming most of Canada. America gets three new states as a result of the conflict: the State of Erie formed from newly claimed land between the Great Lakes, and the former British territories of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Britain retains its claims to the West and North. A massive surge in nationalism comes about in America. France and America enjoy a period of cordial relations while Britain and America are pushed appart.

Fast forwarding into the year 1850 (portrayed on the map). Tensions in North America are on the rise, not just between the British and French sectors, but within the United States as well. Fresh out of a hugely successful war with Mexico, the United States makes its biggest territorial gain since the Louisiana Purchase as a result of the Mexican Secession. The new gains has been divided into the Utah Territory, the New Mexico Territory, and the Baja Territory. In addition, the United States annexes the Republic of Texas and the Republic of California. However, these new lands will become a battleground when tensions between the Northren and Southren states reach a breaking point.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9519/altnorthamerica1.png

Again, please critize this. I hope to expand this into a full fledged timeline.

Very nice, especially for a first try :) Criticism:

Plausibility-wise, I'm not sure that North America is viable for the Empire, having lost its seaports on the eastern seaboard. I don't know enough about the period to develop this thought further, but I don't think they could maintain control over the area without the tacit acceptance of the other powers. Certainly they can't go overland anymore. I might be wrong; maybe Russia would help them out in exchange for certain concessions.

The internal borders of the Canadas are very convergent for the time. These are the borders within British North America at the time of confederation, a good twenty years after the date of your map - BC is the only province that had reached the extent it enjoys today, while AB, SK and MB did not yet exist. The same goes for French Canada, because they aren't following British settlement patterns anymore.

Last edited:
This is my first map, as well as my first post. :D
It's still a work in progress, but I'm posting it now in hopes of getting some critizism...
I like the idea of France (re-)regaining it's North American Empire and a close Franco-American relationship. Like others have said it is a bit convergent though. Wikipedia map of NA in 1812.

Also (not a criticism of your map per se), but why do people always give Baja to the US in alt-Mexican secessions?

Status
Not open for further replies.