Weekly Flag Challenge: New Challenges & Previous Winners

Congratulations to ah-sue for her winning entry, the flag of the North American Democratic Association!
xmljsl.jpg

HERE'S MY CHALLENGE :

The scenario –

POD : US President Woodrow Wilson has a stroke on 2 October 1918 (one year earlier than in OTL) but in this TL it’s fatal.

VP Thomas R Marshall takes over and under pressure from his party announces that the US will not attend the Versailles Peace Conference. Although he declares that US troops will remain in Europe (actually until June 1919) it’s back to an isolation stance for Uncle Sam and no League of Nations. There are different Versailles, St Germain, Trianon and
Sèvres Treaties. Germany descends into chaos, a Communist coup in 1920 leading to Bavaria declaring independence. France, occupying the Saar under the Versailles Treaty for a period of 15 years from 1920, decides to annex that territory in 1923. Russia experiences civil war from 1918 to 1923, then a right wing junta gains power, creating the ‘Confederation of Russian Republics’. Lots more happening as a glance at the 1940 map (below) will show.

In 1924 a group of countries in central Europe, wary of the ‘big powers’ around them, form a grouping aimed at close co-operation etc, the grouping popularly becomes known as ‘Mitropa’. By 1940 this group (from 1939 properly known as the Central European Union) numbers 9 nations and is akin to OTL modern European Union but with stronger military ties.

The challenge –
Design a flag for ‘Mitropa’.

CLOSING DATE : 18 APRIL !

Europe AH 1940 S.PNG

Last edited:
Congratulations to LylyCSM2 on his winning entry to the Flag Challenge 17 by AH-Sue: Design a Flag for the Central European Union ("Mitropa").

We all look forward to his subsequent Challenge :)

LylyCSM2 Mitropia Challenge.png

Alright, the next challenge, should you accept is...

in honor of Earth Day, to design a better Earth Day flag.

As usual, entries will be accepted for four days, so you have until April 26th to submit designs.

Good luck!

The winner of Round 18 of our Flag Contest is Dutchie, who will lead the next round of the contest.
Congratulations! The winning entry is below:

attachment.php

Yaay, a win for me. Nice flags all around, and sorry for the delay in getting the challenge posted - I was out of town and only just got back.

New Challenge #19: Conurbation-States!

Here is a list of some of the world's largest conurbations. Design a flag for one of them on the assumption that it secedes from whatever country/state/province/etc. it currently resides in a becomes a sovereign entity of its own.

Now here's the tricky part: ONLY ONE ENTRY PER CONURBATION IS ALLOWED ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS. So if your chosen Conurbation has a flag posted before you're done, you'll have to change to another.

The List:
  • Randstad (Neth)
  • Rhine-Ruhr (Ger)
  • Golden Horseshoe (Can)
  • NY Tri-State (US)
  • Bay Area (US)
  • Baltimore-Washington (US)
  • Greater London (UK)
  • Greater Tokyo (Jap)
Good Luck!

Dutchie

(Hope this is the correct thread in which to post entries!)

Following the unrest caused by the forcible exit of Bruce Forsyth from the TV show 'Strictly Come Dancing', Greater London was one of several large conurbations to become independent city states. Under the Greater London Republic's first Pearly President, strenuous efforts were made to persuade the City of London to join the republic; alas, the efforts came to naught and thus the City of London was to become known as 'England's Vatican City'.

The flag of the Greater London Republic was designed to reflect the River Thames at its heart with conurbations circling it north and south.

ah flag gtr london 1.png

Winner #19

Congrats to Austin Montreal for having the best Conurbation-State Flag. I'd say it was close, but actually the voters picked this one by a healthy margin. Congrats! We await your challenge!

attachment.php

Congrats to Austin Montreal for having the best Conurbation-State Flag. I'd say it was close, but actually the voters picked this one by a healthy margin. Congrats! We await your challenge!

attachment.php

Yay!! I have won!!! I'd like to thank my dog for the insperation.

Anyhow, I'll post the challenge tomorrow. It's pretty lame, but it gives you the chance to be pretty creative.

HERE'S MY CHALLENGE :

The scenario –

POD : US President Woodrow Wilson has a stroke on 2 October 1918 (one year earlier than in OTL) but in this TL it’s fatal.

VP Thomas R Marshall takes over and under pressure from his party announces that the US will not attend the Versailles Peace Conference. Although he declares that US troops will remain in Europe (actually until June 1919) it’s back to an isolation stance for Uncle Sam and no League of Nations. There are different Versailles, St Germain, Trianon and
Sèvres Treaties. Germany descends into chaos, a Communist coup in 1920 leading to Bavaria declaring independence. France, occupying the Saar under the Versailles Treaty for a period of 15 years from 1920, decides to annex that territory in 1923. Russia experiences civil war from 1918 to 1923, then a right wing junta gains power, creating the ‘Confederation of Russian Republics’. Lots more happening as a glance at the 1940 map (below) will show.

In 1924 a group of countries in central Europe, wary of the ‘big powers’ around them, form a grouping aimed at close co-operation etc, the grouping popularly becomes known as ‘Mitropa’. By 1940 this group (from 1939 properly known as the Central European Union) numbers 9 nations and is akin to OTL modern European Union but with stronger military ties.

The challenge –
Design a flag for ‘Mitropa’.

CLOSING DATE : 18 APRIL !

*Raises hand*
Soviet is a Russian word. The Germans having it therefore makes no sense.

Alright, who's ready for Challenge #20!?

Okay, so your challenge, should you accept it, is a simple one. Create a Communist Flag for an OTL country, that has never been subjected to communism in Real life. So you can't do any of the former Eastern Bloc countries, former USSR states, China, any African Puppets, Vietnam, etc.

The Deadline for all flags are 12:00 AM CDT Saturday morning. I will post a voting thread that morning.

Good Luck!!

Winner #20

Congratulation to ah-sue for her amazing flag. Though my flag won, I am making you the honorary winner. We await your next challenge!!

My Flag:

attachment.php

Her flag:

attachment.php

Last edited:
OK, here’s my flag challenge. It’s based on something my grandfather told my father arising from his wartime experience. The story is that in the final year or so of World War 2 an odd idea arose, viz. to create a largish ‘buffer state’ between France and Germany after the war. The thinking was that with 3 wars (Franco-Prussian, WW1 and WW2) within 70 years raging in the French/German areas, with the failure of the Maginot Line and the realisation that declared neutrality wasn’t of much use to the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg, perhaps the creation of a fairly substantial ‘new’ nation could be a better option for the maintenance of peace. This idea originated among the British but found favourable interest in certain American quarters.

To the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg would be added a slice of pre-war Germany plus Alsace-Lorraine (see attached map). De Gaulle would be furious at any such suggestion, but it seems that the Americans in particular were more than a bit fed up with the General and his followers. The working name of Lotharingia was given to this theoretical nation, arising from the name of the country created from the break up of Charlemagne’s Empire though, of course, not following the various borders of that country.

My father told me about this just after I read a review of a Dennis Wheatley book, ‘Stranger Than Fiction’, in which the author recounts his wartime experiences in British Intelligence – the book mentions this idea/proposal. I’ve never tracked down a copy of the book but when I mentioned it to Dad he told me what his father had told him.

So the challenge – design a flag for a nation that never saw the light of day, Lotharingia … and feel free to suggest a different name

CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES = 23 MAY (GMT)

lotharingia 45a.png

In the interest of moving along to the next challenge...

...I'm posting the winning flag, which happens to be mine (though I really liked some of the other entries). Anyways, thanks for the votes, and here is the flag and description:

United Provinces of Central Europe
Following the German surrender to the Americans in Berlin in 1945, with the Anglo-American allies thoroughly dissatisfied regarding the conduct of the two continental powers, the area of the soon-to-be UPCE (a misnomer yes, though when the name and flag were adopted the area beyond the Iron Curtain was deemed outside of 'Europe') were set aside and a new sovereign state was created. Modelled on the United Provinces of the Netherlands, the constituent regions enjoy considerable autonomy, with the federal level of government having responsibility for Currency and Treasury, International Relations and Trade, and Defense.

The flag was adopted in 1951 after a nation-wide contest and referendum. The traditional colours and tri-colour pattern were generally rejected by designers. The symbol of the lion from many of the regions included (Netherlands, Belgium, Lotharingia of the past, etc.) was kept however, reworked so the king-of-beasts is in a defensive yet vigilant posture, looking out over the borders (the fly).

The UPCE remains an irritant to France and Germany, a staunch ally of Britain and America, and a vibrant, multi-cultural society.

United Provinces of Central Europe.png

Challenge "21"

This being the twenty-one'th challenge (i hope I've got the count right), the theme of this week's task is to design a flag incorporating in some fashion a 'black jack' (a gambling reference for those not in the know). Even harder will be coming up with a reasonable explanation for it...

Flag Designers.... GO!

Apologies: this challenge will close after the usual 4 days, so 11:00 am EDT June 1st

Last edited: