Map of the Fortnight: Topic thread

Krall

Banned
I'M NOT LATE YOU'RE JUST EARLY.

Erm, by which I mean I'm sorry for forgetting to update this until now. Fortunately we only missed one day, though.

The winner of MoF 10 is:

Rubberduck3y!

Well done, old bean! Your prize is a smug feeling of satisfaction and achievement. Don't eat it all at once!

For MoF 11 I shall use a slightly modified version of ZachScape's suggestion. The entries thread shall be up in a but a moment.

Thande

Donor
Here's a new suggestion: A crazy irredentist map made by nationalists from an AH country.

Inspired by the daft Armenian ones posted in Chat recently. Make a ridiculous irredentist propaganda map for a country which does not exist in OTL. One obvious example - one from a CSA that's lost several wars, has resigned itself to this, but loonies on the alt-internet are drawing maps claiming things like California and the whole of Mexico.

Here's a new suggestion: A crazy irredentist map made by nationalists from an AH country.

Inspired by the daft Armenian ones posted in Chat recently. Make a ridiculous irredentist propaganda map for a country which does not exist in OTL. One obvious example - one from a CSA that's lost several wars, has resigned itself to this, but loonies on the alt-internet are drawing maps claiming things like California and the whole of Mexico.

Oooh. Nice idea. I like it.

I wish luck to everyone. It looks like an interesting contest, but I'll sit this one out (my last two attempts showed that Paint isn't the best program to use for these sort of things). In the meantime, I'll just repeat my previous suggestions

White Russia in WWII

Muslim Chinese Dynasty

West African Superpower (unrelated to Ghana, Mali, or Songhai)
And add:

Superpower Colombia

Romany state in Modern Europe

Italy neutral in WWII

Different Berlin Congress

Thande

Donor
Easy to do, very difficult to do right. I like it. How exactly does one define "AH country"?

Well, we can broaden it to any country in an AH scenario, I just thought countries which don't exist in any form in OTL would be more interesting.

Another obvious one that springs to mind is of a Draka which consists only of southern Africa but claims the whole rest of the continent - that series would make a lot more sense if all of Stirling's writings could be retconned to being the nationalist-wank-fulfilment novels written by a small group of crazy nationalists living in a smaller more realistic Domination :D

Krall

Banned
Agh, I almost forgot about this! Fortunately it's only Tuesday.

Well, it was close, but the winner of MoF 12 by one vote was:

B_Munro!

Congratulations, old bean!

Now, for MoF 12 I shall use a slightly modified version of Thande's suggestion:

WHAT ONCE WAS OURS...

... shall always be ours. Make a map showing the irredentist claims of a country in an AH scenario.

Wikipedia said:
Irredentism (from Italian irredento, "unredeemed") is any position advocating annexation of territories administered by another state on the grounds of common ethnicity or prior historical possession, actual or alleged.

The entries thread is up here:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=3203242#post3203242

Hopefully we'll get more map-makers taking part this time!

Thande

Donor
Cool, I'm glad you accepted it, and I agree my original suggestion was worded a wee bit too narrowly.

Krall

Banned
Krall, I know this is AH.Com, but even we can't produce maps for Sunday last.

What, you don't have a time machine? Seriously?

(Sorry about that; I had copied that part of the post from the OP of the MoF 11 entries thread, hence the incorrect date. Thanks for pointing it out!)

Last edited:

Krall

Banned
Posted a map, after having skipped a few.
Hope this counts. Following WWIII (2025-2028), the majority of the worlds countries begin to form megacountries and economic/military blocs. Over the rest of the century, peace is felt all over the globe, for the most part. Cold War tensions do brew from time to time.

The map depicts the breakup of one megacountry, the Atlantic Union. While still at its territorial height in 2095, it had long ago been overshadowed by its competitors.

It doesn't seem to meet the requirements of the challenge, old boy. The map must show the claims of a country; not the history of a country's dissolution.

If the Atlantic Union had lost some of its territory to rebellions and such, but still claimed some or all of that territory, then a map of these claims would meet the requirements of the challenge.

Thande

Donor
This is the first one of these I've entered for a while. I made my map with a combination of MSPaint, Paint.Net and Gimp for the tilted perspective effect.