Canada Wank (YACW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good so far, Daði.

@Canadian Federation: I agree - after all, this IS a Canada-wank. :D

I think there will be a lot of tough fighting. The US has a much better logistical position than before and have built up a powerful force while the defenders will be pretty thinly stretched, especially in the south and west.

However the Americans are scattering their forces pretty much in all directions, Canada is much, much stronger than in OTL and Britain is still the 800lb large hairy primate. As such the wank is pretty certain unless something dramatic intervenes.;)

Just had a though. With the fairly newly married couple in a Canada under attack how will Portugal respond to an attack on its ally. May not be the greatest power but its resources will be useful, especially probably from Brazil. Every little, or not so little, helps.

Steve

Nice updates, Dathi!:)
Ja, well one of Clay's problems is that his slogan [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]"regain 'America's rightful land" means very different things to different people. The Kentuckians and Ohians hear it as the Protectorate; New Yorkers hear it as Plattsburgh and New England; Georgians hear it as Florida, and Mississippians hear it as Louisiana...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He CAN'T go full-bore everywhere, but he has to at least try in multiple places.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Also, getting troops and supplies from e.g. Georgia to e.g. Cincinnati would be so difficult given the current state of transportation that they would essentially be unusable. So the push into especially Eastern Florida hardly uses any men or materiel that could be used elsewhere - so it's not as much of a waste as it seems.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]PO'ing another Power, well that may be stupid alright, but the US views the Spanish empire as breathing its last anyway - they've already lost all their mainland possessions in America. Possibly with reason. I haven't decided how the Spanish will react to an actual invasion. And CAN they react in time?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Spain has a very high chance of losing Florida, which will prompt Spain to fortify other possessions it still retains in other areas. It might even encourage Spain to look to Africa. It will also become a bit more friendly to Britain, or at the very least, not actively against.
If the US loses another war, it will be interesting to see the internal political developments.
I think there will be a lot of tough fighting. The US has a much better logistical position than before and have built up a powerful force while the defenders will be pretty thinly stretched, especially in the south and west.

However the Americans are scattering their forces pretty much in all directions, Canada is much, much stronger than in OTL and Britain is still the 800lb large hairy primate. As such the wank is pretty certain unless something dramatic intervenes.;)

Just had a though. With the fairly newly married couple in a Canada under attack how will Portugal respond to an attack on its ally. May not be the greatest power but its resources will be useful, especially probably from Brazil. Every little, or not so little, helps.

Steve
With William and Antónia in Canada, Portugal will contribute with a naval blockade and potentially with some contingents of troops to save its Infanta.

Last edited:
US Preparations for war, part 2

US Preparations for war, part 2

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]All during 1842, both sides massively supplied their forward positions. So much matériel is flowing forward that the British expect the US to declare war that summer. However, when the first snow fell in the fall, the British heaved a sigh of relief and relaxed. They had a breathing space before campaigning season would start in the spring. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Meanwhile, Clay and the US military had some serious prioritizing to do. O[/FONT]ne of Clay's problems is that his slogan [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]"regain America's rightful land" means very different things to different people. The Kentuckians and Ohians hear it as the Protectorate; New Yorkers hear it as Plattsburgh and New England; Georgians hear it as Florida, and Mississippians hear it as Louisiana...[/FONT] Even if the US military significantly outnumbers the British (which it does), they can't land overwhelming blows everywhere. The decision is made to make the biggest push into the Protectorate with ~100k army (with ~30k militia to garrison forts the Army takes), with a secondary push involving some ~30k (and ~20k militia) into Louisiana, and a tertiary push with 10k army and 20k second rank militia into East Florida. Token forces would probe New England's border, the Plattsburg area and West Florida. In West Florida, the probe on Pensacola will be in enough force to take it, if they are lucky, but the attack on Mobile will be just to test defences.

Now that they are looking at specific force allocations, they are rather regretting the 10k well trained soldiers and mobile artillery they sent to Mexico last year.

As much as the Americans would dearly love to take New England, Plattsburg, West Florida and also advance onto the Niagara Peninsula and up to Montreal, they can't do everything at once, and they figure that major victories in the Protectorate while taking back Louisiana and East Florida[1], will allow West Florida and Missouri to be gained at the negotiating table, as they will be isolated. Once the US shows its might and regains its glory, the New Englanders may (even) be talked/pressured into rejoining the US.[2]

If everything goes right, the US can regain all her 'rightful' lands and be poised to re-instate 'Manifest Destiny'.

The allocation of forces is based on expected resistance. Spanish Florida is only lightly defended (especially East Florida), and most of the troops are black or Indian, so they shouldn't be able to stand and fight (supposedly). There are more white settler militia in West Florida (some Napoleonic war veterans, and their sons), but West Florida isn't seriously on the agenda at the moment. Louisiana's defenders are largely free blacks, and so shouldn't be a major problem. The Protectorate has a solid shell of settler militia and forts on the front line, but there's only about 20k defenders in that shell – many of them well trained whites, and Confederate Indians are nasty skirmishers. So the US needs their major force there to punch through the shell. But once it's pierced the US should be able to run rampant, especially if they can prevent much in the way of reinforcements. This is, at least, the theory behind the force allocations.

Preventing reinforcements in Canada is the key. The US wants a 'short victorious war', and thinks it can achieve it if they can cut British lines of communication. Firstly, the attack is planned for winter when the British water lines of communication are frozen over. Many of the equivalent US rivers are frozen, too, but they have forward based enough provisions and ammunition for the first several months of the war. They are, of course, expecting a winter campaign, and their sources in Canada show the British are not. They are relaxing somewhat, not expecting an attack until campaign season in the spring. Secondly, the US will raid across the border, tearing up the rail road in several places. Thirdly they will occupy land in the middle of the Protectorate so it's not just a matter of repairing a few hundred yards of rail line (like some of the other attacks would be). Fourthly, they will launch an Orator class timberclad[3] on Lake Ontario come spring, and a steam frigates on Lake Erie and Lake Champlain. With a lot of luck, they can take control of the lakes, and with only a little luck they should be able to at least heavily impede British operations.

Even if the British immediately send the 20k troops they have waiting in England, they shouldn't be able to get them to the theatre until the ice melts, they can't even get them to Montreal until the St. Lawrence river melts, surely.

For forward supply, the US stockpiles 10 million percussion caps, which seems like a lot, but is only 500 rounds for each of the 20k caplock Hall rifles (the remaining 10k are flintlock, whether they were built that way or converted back). And enough gunpowder and bullets for 100 million rounds of ammunition. Also some 20 million rations. The US learned from Harrison's campaign in Ohio in the last war that those rations and ammunition and supplies have to be prepared and placed ahead of time. Still, the sheer volume was an unpleasant shock and almost broke the existing Quatermaster's Corps (not to mention the damage to the Treasury), which required unforeseen bulking up of the QMC. Fortunately for the US, second line troops (often men who were merchants in civilian life) suffice, so the limited numbers of Regular Army / National Guard level militia don't have to be stretched even thinner. Also, the overstrained logistics chain was discovered in time to fix it. The beefed up QMC is ready, as well, to supply the expected war fighting demands of the army once the ice breaks and the troops need resupply.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 Considering the taking of Florida to be taking it 'back' requires a peculiar mindset, but there we are.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 The official position of the Clay administration is that once the US regains its tarnished glory and humbles the mighty British, that the New Englanders will realize the errors of their ways, and re-join the Union. While some Administration officials really believe this, and many people in the streets do, most of the Cabinet figure that further threats will be required, and even then it's not a done deal. None of them really understand how much New England has grown apart and developed their own identity.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 These are the Fulton/Demologos boats. The Fulton II has been renamed the Demosthenes, the second one launched in the summer of '42 on the east coast is the Pericles. This one, on Lake Ontario is the Cicero.[/FONT]

Sorry, my ears are still distracted by the rousing chorus of "On Wisconsin" that started playing with the mention of badgers. Alas, though, there will be no Madison.

Spain has a very high chance of losing Florida, which will prompt Spain to fortify other possessions it still retains in other areas. It might even encourage Spain to look to Africa. It will also become a bit more friendly to Britain, or at the very least, not actively against.
If the US loses another war, it will be interesting to see the internal political developments.

To me, this means one thing - repairing the walls of San Juan and La Habana and fortifying the defences of Cuba and Puerto Rico, which were possessions that Spain was probably not going to part from (even if they lost Florida). This would be as something in the back of Spain's mind - i.e., if the US changes its mind and does intend to invade Spanish territory, it would make sense to defend both islands in the best way possible. The past several times that Puerto Rico has been invaded, focus has always been on San Juan's harbour (hence the repairs to the walls and boosting defences there), with the exception of the Spanish-American War when the US invaded Ponce, on the South Coast, first. Hence, it wouldn't be unreasonable to have something akin to Martello towers all across the island, plus Vieques and Culebra. As for Cuba - defences are probably also going to be increased in a similar fashion to Puerto Rico (i.e. repairing the walls of Havana and increasing the garrison there, as starters) and Spain might actually consider setting up a militia in Cuba. The upgrading of the defences would be even more acute in Cuba than in Puerto Rico since the Spanish know that the US has its eyes on Cuba and Spain would want to make that it is not the case and retain both of them under Spanish control. Plus, in this case arming ordinary Cubans and Puerto Ricans would make a bit of sense - after all, they know the island better than the Americans and could sustain a long-running guerrilla war if they need to. If Spain is successful at repelling the Americans from Cuba and Puerto Rico, then it could very well be possible that Spain could probably grant fueros to Cuba and Puerto Rico, probably transforming them into Autonomous Provinces, as a reward for their loyalty. That, alone, will change the political dynamics in both places.
With William and Antónia in Canada, Portugal will contribute with a naval blockade and potentially with some contingents of troops to save its Infanta.

Sounds like a good idea.

As much as the Americans would dearly love to take New England, Plattsburg, West Florida and also advance onto the Niagara Peninsula and up to Montreal, they can't do everything at once, and they figure that major victories in the Protectorate while taking back Louisiana and East Florida[1], will allow West Florida and Missouri to be gained at the negotiating table, as they will be isolated. Once the US shows its might and regains its glory, the New Englanders may (even) be talked/pressured into rejoining the US.[2]

----

2 The official position of the Clay administration is that once the US regains its tarnished glory and humbles the mighty British, that the New Englanders will realize the errors of their ways, and re-join the Union. While some Administration officials really believe this, and many people in the streets do, most of the Cabinet figure that further threats will be required, and even then it's not a done deal. None of them really understand how much New England has grown apart and developed their own identity.

Goes to show you how much the Clay administration actually knows about conditions in New England if they think that a "short" war (which I doubt will be short) or pressure would convince the New Englanders to come back. If anything, I doubt that New England would be standing by on this - surely, they could be making preparations of their own along the border. If New England really wanted too, though, they could just as well revive some of the old claims from Connecticut approximating the old 1650 boundary, referring to:

ct1.png

Note the bolded area that could be seen as the extent of Connecticut's claims, if they really wanted to go that far. Apart from that, CT's northern and eastern borders would remain as in OTL.

Daði - if you want, I can write up a short blurb on the division of Western and Eastern Massachusetts and send it to you via PM. From there, you can expand on it as much as you want to fit into the TL.

If Spain is successful at repelling the Americans from Cuba and Puerto Rico, then it could very well be possible that Spain could probably grant fueros to Cuba and Puerto Rico, probably transforming them into Autonomous Provinces, as a reward for their loyalty. That, alone, will change the political dynamics in both places.
This would be great.:cool:

Goes to show you how much the Clay administration actually knows about conditions in New England if they think that a "short" war (which I doubt will be short) or pressure would convince the New Englanders to come back. If anything, I doubt that New England would be standing by on this - surely, they could be making preparations of their own along the border. If New England really wanted too, though, they could just as well revive some of the old claims from Connecticut approximating the old 1650 boundary, referring to:

ct1.png

Note the bolded area that could be seen as the extent of Connecticut's claims, if they really wanted to go that far. Apart from that, CT's northern and eastern borders would remain as in OTL.
Ooo... I don't think they'll get the land, but it would be fun to include that in the Allies' initial peace demands....

Daði - if you want, I can write up a short blurb on the division of Western and Eastern Massachusetts and send it to you via PM. From there, you can expand on it as much as you want to fit into the TL.
Hmmm... I was going to say "No, thanks. I think we aren't going to split the New England states any further than they are." But, you know, Massachusetts is AWFULLY dominant. Maybe they would split...

What the heck, give it a try. If I don't like it I don't have to use it:)

Just remember, I gave you Worcester as the capital of the whole Union, so it can't be a state capital now...

Edit: they'd be more likely to get half of Long Island than the 1650 boundary closer to the Hudson, right? If they got anything?

Ooo... I don't think they'll get the land, but it would be fun to include that in the Allies' initial peace demands....

---

Edit: they'd be more likely to get half of Long Island than the 1650 boundary closer to the Hudson, right? If they got anything?

Hence why I said if they really wanted to. ;) However, adding Long Island from the 1650 boundary onwards to Connecticut could probably work (which could be the maximum) - if not that, then at least approximating OTL Suffolk County.

You're lucky that Massachusetts and Vermont don't have any standing claims on New York territory, BTW.

Hmmm... I was going to say "No, thanks. I think we aren't going to split the New England states any further than they are." But, you know, Massachusetts is AWFULLY dominant. Maybe they would split...

Just remember, I gave you Worcester as the capital of the whole Union, so it can't be a state capital now...

Sounds fine with me. I'll see what I can come up with.

IMO, the half of Long Island would be more exposed to American attempts to regain it, unless Britain installed a naval base on it, as an ally of New England.

IMO, the half of Long Island would be more exposed to American attempts to regain it, unless Britain installed a naval base on it, as an ally of New England.

That would probably happen anyway - plus a military build-up on New England's part.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 Note the similarity in reasoning to Stalin's before Barbarossa. [hint, hint][/FONT]

I can hardly wait! :D But honestly, I never knew that percussion caps were that difficult to produce. Mind you my knowledge of weapons has a serious gap between the Napoleonic Wars and the Breech-loading single shot rifle (Martini Henrys).

EDIT: But just how much can the Spaniards contribute at this point? From what I've read, they never really recovered from the Nap Wars and were in serious decline at this point iOTL.

I can hardly wait! :D But honestly, I never knew that percussion caps were that difficult to produce. Mind you my knowledge of weapons has a serious gap between the Napoleonic Wars and the Breech-loading single shot rifle (Martini Henrys).

EDIT: But just how much can the Spaniards contribute at this point? From what I've read, they never really recovered from the Nap Wars and were in serious decline at this point iOTL.
Fulminates are very tricky substances with 1840s chemistry. Mercury fulminate is usable. Silver fulminate has a reputation for blowing up when you look at it funny. Even Mercury fulminate is tricky unless your reagents are very pure and everything is carefully handled, as I understand it. The initial test runs under highly controlled conditions just needed to be handled a bit carefully. I believe that temperature makes a difference, too. So the US is not likely to have too many problems in the first months in cold weather, but will have more in the summer.

I'm not a chemist, or a gun-nut (let alone a Civil War re-enactor or anything), but this is my understanding of the situation.

The Spanish are being reckless and stupid. They should know that if the Americans will they will be looking to make gains elsewhere. In which case Florida is an obvious target and having angered a defeated Britain we're not likely to come to their rescue. Not to mention by such substantial aid to someone obviously planning a war against Britain they are fouling their pitch there.
Clay's primary message is recovering 'lost' territory. The Spanish KNOW that the US never had East Florida, and believe that the US had no right to West Florida (including chunks of OTL Louisiana). They really figure that the US has more than enough on its hands taking back the Protectorate and Louisiana, and if they lose Mobile, say, well 'Oh well'. They really think they can keep the US off their backs by being friendly. Besides, the prices they're charging for the stocks of gunpowder and mercury are a huge boost to their treasury.

So, yes, they have their heads in the sand a bit. But their biggest mistake is to expect US war aims to be rational.

They aren't totally stupid. While they are refusing to arm civilians (especially the blacks and Indians, because that would be provocative), they have slightly increased their garrisons, especially in Mobile and Pensacola, and significantly upgraded the defenses of those two places.

British Preparation

British Preparation

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It is very clear that the US is preparing to go to war. While they didn't do it during the summer, as some on the British side had feared, everyone expected the war to start in the spring of '43 when the weather got better and e.g. there was grass and forage for draft animals to eat. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The 20k troops waiting in England are being prepared for shipment to Canada in the early spring. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]British diplomacy also moves into overdrive, looking for additional support/troops. Portugal, being a close ally and being able to use the excuse of defending Antonia, their Infanta, promises 5k troops and much of her fleet, and looks at raising a force of colonial troops for use in Louisiana or the Caribbean, as necessary. Brazil volunteers 2 regiments, and Uruguay another[1]. Argentina[2] provides a battalion or so of light horse (guachos, basically). Chile agrees to supply some of its navy, but doesn't offer any land troops. (All the Cono Sur troops are to be fed and armed by the British. This still sounds like a good deal for Britain.) [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In Europe, Oldenburg and Würtemberg each provide a regiment, through Prince Peter's connexions[3], but a similar appeal to Russia fails completely. Similarly, Sweden is asked and refuses men, and prevents Norway from (officially) volunteering ships[4]. Hannover is asked if they would contribute troops, due to the old connexion, but King Ernst Augustus is not happy with the Britain or his niece at the moment, and declines for now.[5][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Moreover, one regiment from India is already on its way, and should shortly arrive in Louisiana, and the EIC has 5000 troops (including a regiment of allied Sikh cavalry) which left India in August 1842 heading across the Pacific. More recruitment is on-going there, but they hope to get some of their shipping back first.[6] These troops stop off in Hawai'i for reprovisioning, and the cavalry regiments stay for a couple of months to help their horses recover from the long ocean trip. Most of the infantry continues on to the UPCA. While those troops are resting, Chile agrees to provide vessels to transport both the troops left behind and a native regiment of Hawai'ians. (The Kingdom of Hawai'i having just adopted a liberal constitution, they are eligible to join the Neo-Delian league, and the British convince the Queen regent that providing a regiment or two in exchange for Britain pushing for their membership in the League is a good deal.)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Other British colonies are not very populous yet, and so not a great source of men, still one regiment is raised in Australasia (a battalion from West Australia, 2 from the east, and a battalion of Maori), and another from South Africa (again, mixed, Anglo, Boer, and black). These won't arrive in theatre until somewhat later.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Note that the US doesn't expect ANY of the allied troops to show up, aside possibly from a token handful of Portuguese.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Also, as mentioned above, recruiting efforts in insular Britain (including Ireland) are very active, and it is hoped that more troops may be available 'soon'. Irish political leaders declare that if Britain will move forward on making Ireland a Kingdom, they will guarantee 20k Irish troops at minimum within the year. Given the need for troops, Parliament agrees, with the proviso that those 20k troops be ready by spring – and that at least another 20k be raised by the year's end. It quickly becomes obvious that elections for an Irish Parliament, and some of the other necessities for a functional self-governing kingdom simply can't be ready on the timetable being asked. So, as ernest, the UK Parliament implements legislation to make Ireland its own kingdom, with a nominal date of 1 January 1843. Queen Charlotte will travel to Dublin and be crowned Queen of Ireland (as well as of Britain) on that date. Governing will still happen through Parliament in London until such time as an Irish Parliament can be elected. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Canada is in an uproar. They expected to be the first subsidiary Kingdom, and are very annoyed that Ireland jumped the gun. Furious negotiations criss-cross the Atlantic during the fall, and the result is that Canada will crown Sophia and Peter as Queen and King (Peter gets the title King, but it is Sophia who is crowned first. More like a William-and-Mary than a Victoria and Albert.) The coronation is scheduled for 1 February 1843, and Charlotte will be crowned Empress of the British Empire on the same date. Ireland gets to be the first new Kingdom – but Canada gets her own queen. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In the meantime Sophia and Peter have been named Viceroy of British North America.[7] Nova Scotia quickly complains – 'What about us?'. THEY were supposed to get Sophia as their Princess, and they haven't forgotten. Moreover, they worry strongly – the Viceroys have authority over them. What happens when Canada becomes Kingdom? Is Sophia as Viceroy going to have authority over Sophia as Queen? Is the Kingdom going to expand to include all of BNA, and doesn't Nova Scotia get a say in this, etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]To placate the Nova Scotians, Peter and Sophia make a quick trip to Halifax and are crowned Prince and Princess of Nova Scotia (October 1, 1842), and then to New Brunswick where they are crowned Duke and Duchess of New Brunswick (October 15, 1842). Returning to Canada, the royals bring with them a negotiating team from the Atlantic provinces to discuss just how they might fit in the new structure.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](To jump ahead, the Maritimers end up accepting that they will end up under the rule of the 'King of Canada', whether it be technically part of 'The Kingdom of Canada' or a union of crowns or what, and however the political structure ends up. In exchange, 'Prince(ss) of Nova Scotia' is to be the title of the heir, and 'Duke/Duchess of New Brunswick' the second in line. (Think 'Prince of Wales' and 'Duke of York'.))[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 Uruguay is the most recent member of the Neo-Delian league. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Argentina wishes to upgrade to full membership in the Neo-Delian league, but doesn't qualify due to strongman rule. Miffed, they don't provide as much support as the full members, but DO provide some, so as to keep their chances alive.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 As you may remember, Peter (Princess Sophia's husband) is of the house of Oldenburg and step-son of the ruler of Würtemberg, and has strong connexions to Russia. 2 of those 3 connexions come through. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 Norway would cheerfully contribute forces (probably naval), as it very much wants to be a member of the Neo-Delian league. However, military is definitely in the purview of Union government, and they're not interested. Joining the League is arguably within the purview of the Norwegian Storting, a military alliance is definitely not. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]5 Ernst Augustus ascended the throne of Hannover in 1837 and immediately tried to undo some of the liberal(ish) reforms instituted by his brother, King William. Since Charlotte (and Parliament) approved of her uncle William's moves, and disagrees with Ernst's efforts, relations have somewhat chilled. However, Ernst hasn't said 'no, never', he's said 'no, not now'.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]6 5000 men and a bunch of horses takes up a lot of shipping. IOTL, the EIC shipped first 3300 troops to China, then 5k more during the Opium wars, which happened iOTL in this time frame but which happen very differently iTTL. More on that later. So, once the first 5k troops arrive in e.g. the UPCA, the ships will turn around and pick up more troops from India. But trips across the whole width of the Pacific take time...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]7 Remember Sophia and Peter's extended trip before and after William and Antonia's marriage? The plan all along was that Sophia and Peter would be suggested for Viceroy, with the future possibility of them being made Queen and King when all the appropriate arrangements and negotiations had happened. Instead, events force events forward and out of order. Fortunately, the royals are well received and popular, so no one is unhappy about this. [/FONT]

I continue to enjoy this timeline Dathi. Excellent work. I was wondering though, I really like the idea of "Prince/Pricness of Nova Scotia" and "Duke/Duchess of New Brunswick" and was wondering if you would be so kind as to let me use it in my own timeline? :eek:

I continue to enjoy this timeline Dathi. Excellent work. I was wondering though, I really like the idea of "Prince/Pricness of Nova Scotia" and "Duke/Duchess of New Brunswick" and was wondering if you would be so kind as to let me use it in my own timeline? :eek:
Sure. But the specific circumstances may differ in a different TL. Prince of Québec would be a more obvious 'heir' post in many TLs, for instance, IMO, especially if the Union(s) and Kingdom happen at different times. The fact that the Maritimes are outside, and about to be forced inside makes throwing them a sop fairly important to keep people happy.

Goes to show you how much the Clay administration actually knows about conditions in New England if they think that a "short" war (which I doubt will be short)
Ja. "short victorious war"and "cunning plan that cannot fail" and "what could POSSIBLY go wrong" are all good foreshadowing lines.

Sure. But the specific circumstances may differ in a different TL. Prince of Québec would be a more obvious 'heir' post in many TLs, for instance, IMO, especially if the Union(s) and Kingdom happen at different times. The fact that the Maritimes are outside, and about to be forced inside makes throwing them a sop fairly important to keep people happy.

Well that's what I was thinking of, but since it was essentially identical to yours, I just wanted to run it by you first for approval.

In my TL, Atlantic Canada gets miffed because they are brought into the Kingdom of Canada by British Proclamation, not by OTL Confederation. Since they hadn't been consulted this angers them to the point that a constitution and major electoral and legislative reforms are eked out along with a couple of royal titles to pacify them.

Dathi

Interesting. So the Americans are planning a winter campaign. That will catch the defenders by surprise but depends on how well the US have actually planned for the weather. If their learnt from the previous campaign they might be decently prepared but bad weather might still remove the wheels from the campaign, especially with such large numbers involved.

Overall I think the US is being delusional about how well many of their opponents will fight. Especially considering what sort of fate awaits them if the US wins. However sheer numbers, surprise and the elaborate preparations the US have made could make it very difficult for the protectorate and neighbouring areas. I could see them suffering a pyrrhic victory, ending up on the winning side and getting all their land back but suffering very badly.:( Especially considering the possible US occupation policy under those circumstances.

Under the circumstances, that they realise they can't attack New England in strength yet, Clay is insane to actually raid them, if I'm reading your post correctly.:( Especially if the Americans are believing their own propaganda they might think to keep New England neutral, which would be a big bonus for them. [Both in terms of the manpower it could commit and the bases and resources]. However that surely goes right out the window if the US is actually raiding its borders.

I know Britain tends to put a high priority on diplomacy but sounds like its paying off nicely with a bit of a League of Nations being assembled.:D Also it sounds like a lot of it will be arriving nicely in time and come as a nasty surprise to the Americans. The EIC forces could also be very useful if those 10k forces in Mexico try something.

Just to clarify Sophie and Peter will be crowned queen and king of Canada in 1st Feburary and the same day Charlotte will be made an empress. The latter is in Canada so depending on the timing of the US attack the heirs to the imperial throne and newly crowned Canadian royals will find themselves in the middle of a US attack. That will make things interesting. [Suspect that the US attack will come before that but with the preparations for the crowning and travel and communications the couple might find themselves sailing into a war zone. However I presume that Charlotte is being crowned in London? [Initially I read it as being in Canada but looking more closely that seems unlikely].

With a sudden US attack and possibly members of the royal family at threat, that might prompt a fairly quick, or at least relatively peaceful [for the moment anyway] settlement of matters in Ireland. Going to be problems there later on I fear.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.