Canada Wank (YACW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dathi

Good update and great to see more of the TL. Two points stand out.

a) I'm not sure that Britain would be willing to send so many arms to the US. While it will cause them logistical problems as you say a lot of the weapons will end up in US hands. More to the point its going to be impossible to hide that huge numbers of ex-British army Brown Bess's are turning up in undesirable [to the Americans] hands across wide areas. While it will cause them problem it is so provocative that I think it will do more damage than good by uniting the American 'white' for what of a better term, population behind the war hawks. Even if London is pretty damned certain that war is coming something like this, which unites the US behind the conflict, undermines Britain's moral position and brings the war earlier is likely to be frowned upon by a lot of people, especially in London. Could also create a party in London that blames the government for the growing tensions.

b)
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Because he's writing about what he is currently doing, Antonia is now about the fifth best qualified person in the world to do the job of deputy Quartermaster in Canada [/FONT]

That is a classic. :D:D:D:D I now realise why I've never had any success romancing Portuguese princesses. I need to discuss logistics and supply constraints with them. :p She must really care about him.;)

Steve

Dathi

Good update and great to see more of the TL. Two points stand out.

a) I'm not sure that Britain would be willing to send so many arms to the US. While it will cause them logistical problems as you say a lot of the weapons will end up in US hands. More to the point its going to be impossible to hide that huge numbers of ex-British army Brown Bess's are turning up in undesirable [to the Americans] hands across wide areas. While it will cause them problem it is so provocative that I think it will do more damage than good by uniting the American 'white' for what of a better term, population behind the war hawks. Even if London is pretty damned certain that war is coming something like this, which unites the US behind the conflict, undermines Britain's moral position and brings the war earlier is likely to be frowned upon by a lot of people, especially in London. Could also create a party in London that blames the government for the growing tensions.
Hmmm... It IS a touch early. I should probably have them put in storage in St. Louis and similar, and contacts and early samples shipped...

Let me think about that.

Well, it couldn't hurt, could it?

Well, it couldn't hurt, could it?

Dan1988

You win wars by persuading the opponents to stop fighting you. Whether that's by bleeding them white and bombing their cities to ruins or some lesser means. That point is reached when their willingness to continue the conflict becomes less than the cost of stopping. If you enrage a population, or unite them against what is seen as provocation and aggression then that tipping point can be much, much higher.

Don't forget, while the US wants to make territorial gains I doubt if the British or Canadians are thinking that way. They just want to secure their lands and properties as quickly and cheaply [in terms of blood and money] as quickly. Therefore its not in their interest to have a bitter fight to the finish.

I'm not saying that Britain should adopt a basically passive approach. By no means. Once the war starts then seek to great both American military power and their desire to continue the war by just about any practical way that doesn't totally enrage the bulk of the US population. Hurt them and persuade them to oppose the war hawks and end the conflict. However don't do things that the main effect will be to anger and unite them before the war. Have the bulk of the US population bitter against their own government for the sufferings the war brings and you will end it a lot earlier and with less destruction.

Steve

Retcons

Retcons

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]London as capital[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Once London was chosen for the site of the new capital of Canada, it was obvious the name would have to change, as the confusion of having two 'London's as capitals would be immense. Various options were considered. Any new name should have a prestigious history, and connexion to English or British capitals. Camelot was proposed (as Arthur's capital), as was Trinovantia Nova after a supposed early name for London, but neither of these was a serious contender. New Jerusalem was pushed by the British Israelites[1], New Troy after the supposed Trojan origin of Britain's first king[2], and these had some definite support. But in the end, Winchester, the old royal capital of England won out. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Muskets supplied to US rebels[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The old Brown Bess muskets meant for US rebels (mostly black and Indian), are shipped down the Mississippi and stored in places like St. Louis and other British ports on the west bank of the river. Handfuls of the weapons are sent as tokens, with agents investigating possible recipients in US territory, but the vast bulk of the weapons are put in storage. No need to CAUSE a war, or get the white population of the US riled up ahead of time if a war can be averted by diplomatic means. Just as long as the connexions are there for insurrection if the US is stupid enough to actually go to war.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]St. Paul Minnesota[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I had the steam gun boats at 'St. Paul, Wisconsin – otl St. Paul, Minnesota'. This is in error. OTL, St. Paul wasn't named until 1841. I had mistakenly thought it was an old fur-trade post. Oops. A settlement will most definitely happen in the area, as it is head of navigation on the Mississippi. However, the name of the city is now “St. Anthony”, after St. Anthony Falls (the reason boats can't go further up). Various early settlements there might be St. Anthony's Landing, East St. Anthony, Mendota, etc., possibly even Pig's Eye Landing <g>, but the major city that grows up will be called St. Anthony. There IS a significant settlement there iTTL, because the flood of immigration can't all be accommodated in land closer – Ontario and Quebec are fairly full, Michigan is filling up and the Protectorate isn't interested in absorbing 10s of thousands of white men.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Rail[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Very early in the TL, before I had done any calculations, I had said “Rail to St. Louis would never have happened in this time period if it was just a commercial proposition. “ and “The British are certainly interested in connecting their cities, so track is laid from Montreal to Kingston, then York, then Detroit and Chicago and St. Louis. Among other things, this provides a back-up to the canals when those are iced over.” As long as we understand that the 'rail to St. Louis' is part of a system that includes waterways, the first statement is still valid. The second can be valid, too, as long as we understand that those links are a) not in chronological order and b) not completed 'in this time period' (i.e. before the war). Still, given how much development has happened in the TL since I wrote that, it's nice to know that the actual words can be justified.<g>[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Nightingale, the co-founder of the FNS[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]'She sings sweetly' is still, AFAIK, a reasonable possibility for a name in the culture. At the time I came up with it, I suspected that it might also be an Indian name for a bird. I have not been able to find Shawnee/Miami names for birds on the Web (gee, why on earth didn't someone do a PhD thesis on such things and post it for my use<g>). I did, however, find that “s/he is an excellent singer” translates as nihtânikamow ᓂᐦᑖᓂᑲᒧᐤ VTA in Cree. I assume (hope) that the equivalent in her language would be close. The similarity in sound between “nihtanikamow” and “nightingale” would just add to the likelihood of her being named “Nightingale” in English.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It turns out that “Rossignol” (which in European French is the Nightingale) is, in Québec, the Song Sparrow, Melospiza melodia. Unfortunately, its name, at least in Cree and Ojibwa is onomatopoeic, and not at all descriptive.... Still, given OTL's Jenny Lind “The Swedish Nightingale” the local francophones could still have called her “Rossignol” because of her singing.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](I'm still going to have Nightingale's 20th century biography be written by someone named Margaret Morse Nice<g>)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Israelism[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutus_of_Troy[/FONT]

Retcons

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Muskets supplied to US rebels[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The old Brown Bess muskets meant for US rebels (mostly black and Indian), are shipped down the Mississippi and stored in places like St. Louis and other British ports on the west bank of the river. Handfuls of the weapons are sent as tokens, with agents investigating possible recipients in US territory, but the vast bulk of the weapons are put in storage. No need to CAUSE a war, or get the white population of the US riled up ahead of time if a war can be averted by diplomatic means. Just as long as the connexions are there for insurrection if the US is stupid enough to actually go to war.[/FONT]

Dathi

I like that.:) Done subtly it can be a useful threat. 'We don't want a war but if you start one'. Will still rile the more hot-headed Americans but quite possibly make a number of others have 2nd thoughts about a conflict.

Steve

British Israelites? That makes the TL all the more interesting! :cool:
The poem "Jerusalem" by Blake was written in this TL (well, or a similar one), as well as OTL. Many of the supporters of the name "Jerusalem" or "New Jerusalem" were perhaps more in line with 'Blake'ish ideas than full fledged "British Israelism", but it was proposed by some prominent local British Israelites.

(Just ?before? my day, one of the Sunday School teachers at our church was eased out of teaching - because she was teaching her Sunday School class British Israelism! (I remember Mum telling the story long after, and it didn't affect me, so I forget whether it was just before my time or just after.) So, it's been around and was still a significant undercurrent into the '60s at least...)

So, don't assume they are more influential than OTL. OTOH, they might be, I haven't decided. They are certainly not LESS. Anyway, when you're searching for a name with power and emotional resonance, "Jerusalem" is hard to beat:). It may have lost out due to Catholic fears of an excessive Protestant connexion, perhaps.

Rail

Rail

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Rail has been being laid at a great rate, connecting all the forts, and creating a waterway-railway link from the Atlantic to the Gulf Coast by the close of season 1841. This was the absolute top priority. With these connections in hand, work moves to other links. One priority is to double the water routes with rail, partly for speed, and partly for shipping in winter. Rail is also needed to allow better development in the vicinity of major settlements, to open up new areas for settlement, and exploit the mineral resources available. Rail is started to connect Chicago with St. Louis, to head west from Chicago toward the Mississippi, and south from [OTL Gary IN] to Prophetstown, and from thence down to Liverpool [OTL Ft Harrison], also around the south end of Lake Michigan (connecting Chicago with the Grand Rapids-Detroit line) and connecting east to Montreal. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]When William gets back to Headquarters (which has been moved to Montreal, as the place where all the supplies arrive by ship) in the winter of 1840/41, he sits down with a map with all the prospective rail building marked on it. William, in his travels has been very impressed with the railways. They can move almost as fast as a relay of post horses – and can carry as much as a bateau or even a sloop. He points out that, while there is a good link by rail and water all the way to Montreal, the water portions are slow.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It is clear that the rail to the forts is going to be done by the end of the next building season, and that they will all then be able to be properly supplied. Although the American situation is getting worse, and they can see that Clay will probably be elected (as indeed happens), no matter what his rhetoric, he surely can't get the US ready for war in less than a year, so they should have to the spring of '42 (fall of '41 for rail building) to prepare, and by then the absolute basics of will be completed. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So the next order of business is to look at priorities for the next round of building. There has been a number of minor rail lines built as the work on the lines to the forts winds down, but many of them will certainly take a few years to complete, and Canada probably doesn't HAVE a few years, before the war with the US happens. It would be nice if diplomacy could avert the war, but no one is holding their breath. So. Given the prospect of a war with the US some time in '42 or '43, say, what rail should get priority? The rail from Chicago to St. Louis is hardly started, and that route is only a major route when the Lakes are open – at which point the Illinois river is open, so work is ordered stopped on that. Similarly, the rail reaching from Lake Michigan to Prophetstown, while politically very important, is militarily not very much so.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Moreover, in the winter of '40/'41, while these discussions were ongoing, a couple of the new cannon in Toronto were discovered to have been from a bad pour – and needed to be replaced. It being winter with the lakes frozen, there was simply no feasible way to get the heavy cannon to or from a foundry. Up til then, the voices who claimed that doubling the water (especially the lake) routes with rail was a waste of resources had a majority in the councils, but this incident tipped the balance to William's position – namely that Britain needed an all-weather connexion, and needed it ASAP. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So, as some of the rail road building effort winds down in the Protectorate, the freed resources are put to work on the long connection between Fort Wayne and Montreal. The connexion will be almost useless in the fall '41/spring '42, with major gaps in the fall '42/spring '43, but should be complete by the fall of 43. If the US will kindly hold off attacking until Fall '43, the British supply lines will be in much better shape.[/FONT]

Wedding negotiations

The last couple of posts were small. Here's another chunk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding negotiations

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Now that the British and the Portuguese know that William is converting, and since he has provided the time for mitigation efforts, the decision is made to go ahead with the wedding. William will be removed from the Line of Succession and give up all titles associated with the position of heir (except he Barony of Renfrew) and then he will be allowed to convert. Since he is converting, Antonia doesn't need to. Because William is buried up to his neck in Quartermaster duties in Canada, and really can't afford the time for a trip to England or Portugal for a royal wedding, it will happen in Montreal, in the Cathedral. Of course, it ISN'T exactly a royal wedding (as far as the British are concerned), and the British want to make it very clear to everyone that William no longer has any British royal prerogatives. The Portuguese, on the other hand, do continue to consider him 'royal', even if they understand he's not in the line of succession any more.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As part of the extended wedding negotiations, the Portuguese point out that they have lost a valuable marriage of state due to a British Prince – and it would only be fair that they be recompensed some how. They suggest that the British deed to them a small parcel of land on the west coast of India, connecting their current holdings of [/FONT]Damão ([FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Daman and Diu) and [/FONT]Dadrá e Nagar-Aveli, possibly giving them a bit more of the coast, too. In return, they will make William Duque de Damão e Dadrá, giving him a Portuguese royal dukedom. People point out that there is a nice symmetry here – especially given the precedent of Indian land for marriage (cf Bombay as Catherine Braganza dowry).

Edit: two lusophones tell me it should be «Duque de Damão e Nagar-Aveli», so that's what it is, now.

Last edited:
Very well done, Dathi!:)
If I may suggest a small change, Daman would be Damão in Portuguese.
Thank you. Lusitania suggested it, and I figured he was giving me the Português spelling:( [that's it, blame it on someone else:), of course, when I was checking it out, did I notice other spellings? Oops.]
fixed.

Antonia and Canals

Antonia's year at loose ends

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Once William is shipped off to Canada in the spring of 1840, Antonia comes to London. It is in everybody's interest to have Antonia be seen and be seen in a good light. It also will allow her to get more used to English customs, and become more fluent in the English language. Antonia decides that the best way to spend her time is to volunteer with the Anglican deaconesses in London. She is accompanied by 3 other noble Portuguese ladies who are meant as companions, but also chaperones. They, perforce, follow Antonia into the mission work.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]While the Methodists, for instance, require lifetime commitment to join their diaconal order, the Anglicans have found it worthwhile to allow (mostly upper-class) women to be able to volunteer for specific terms (say a year or two at a time). This serves various purposes. 1) it allows and encourages these women to engage in Christian mission (which helps their souls); 2) it increases the visibility and financial resources available to the diaconate (which helps the poor); and 3) the alumnae of the program provide a source for future funding and political support (which helps the whole project). [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It is clear that William's situation (and hence marriage plans) will be in limbo for at least year[1], so Antonia can afford to sign up for a one year commitment. She's just marking time, so she might as well make her self useful – and the couple can use all the good PR they can get at this time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So, Antonia starts work with the poor in London. She is horrified at the conditions she sees, and throws herself into the work. What started as a 'do something appropriately charitable to do good and look good', becomes vitally important to her. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Another side effect of this is that 2 of Antonia's 3 companions are so taken with the deaconesses they are serving with that they actually convert to Anglicanism. It's not so much the deep faith they live by (they all have relatives in convents with that level of faith), it's the practicality of the faith's expression. Their pious religious (i.e. nun/monk) relatives are shut away in convents and monasteries – here people live out their faith following the footsteps of Christ himself.[2][/FONT]

Other transport

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The St. Lawrence CanalSystem system is a huge advantage for Canada, but although the canals have been operating for only 20 years, it's clear that they are obsolete. They have been incredibly helpful for Canada, allowing exports of timber from the entire Great Lakes region (instead of only from Québec and the Ottawa River, as OTL), and ores and processed metals from the various mines (again, not possible OTL), as well, of course, as the flood of grain flowing to England, increasing every year. Still, most of those goods really have to be transhipped either at Montreal or at Québec, and fewer and fewer of the Lakers find it economical to continue direct to Britain as time goes on. The situation only gets worse with the arrival of the much larger transatlantic steamships.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Even at the time of construction, the CanalSystem couldn't handle Ships of the Line – nor even frigates, but only smaller war-vessels. With the success of the new steam ships, it is obvious that the canal system needs a massive upgrade. Plans are drawn up for a second canal with deeper and wider canals and locks. It is estimated that the locks should be 300'x50'x16'[3] Although plans are completed, and surveying done, it is perfectly obvious that the new canal won't be ready by the time that war with the US comes (as it is strongly suspected it will). Thus, some work starts, but higher priority is accorded to e.g. rail. One portion that is started immediately is a large dredging project in the river near Montreal. The largest ocean ships had not been able to get all the way to Montreal due to shoals and shallows, and the dredging will help that – as well as preparing for the coming of the 2nd CanalSystem.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 The Government is planning to wait until at least the spring of 1841 before making any kind of judgement. This gives William a year in Canada to prove his discretion and his worth, and it gives them all that time to make preparations (leaking info with the right spin, preparing legislation to enable the conversion and change in succession to happen, give Antonia time for her PR to work).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 This is, of course, the flip side of William's conversion – and not welcomed either by the powers that be. Note that every branch of Christianity has its strengths and weaknesses, and different traditions fit better with different people with different personalities and styles of serving the Lord. Where William is entranced by the mystical power of the Eucharist, these ladies are entranced by the powerful love of Service. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 (approximately 90mx15mx4.8m). Compare to OTL's 3rd Welland Canal (started 1872, in operation 1881, completed 1887) with locks 270x45x14 (81mx13.5mx4.2m); or TTL's first canal system 100'x20'x7' (30mx6mx2.1m) – all metric measurements approximate. OTL's 3rd Welland canal doubled the size of the second, and was already visibly too small by the time it was completed. ITTL, the 2nd CanalSystem is some 2.5x the first, and will be adequate – for a while. While it would be nice to make it even bigger, there are some limits on what's feasible in a single jump.[/FONT]

Hey Dathi,

Interesting twist with so many more raw materials coming out of Canada earlier making it potentially more valuable to Great Britian. Question of the day is although the rail and canal systems are being developed what about the support for the lines. Coaling stations/water tanks/sanding towers and repair yards all need to be built along with the rails....of course many can be closely located to ports needed for steam vessels as well.

Also if the summer of 1841 is to a construction rail boom then why not have surveyors going on early to mark the route and crews to pre-cut lumber for bridging. Otherwise you end up like OTL Alaska Highway construction where crews would just start building and had no idea what was ahead.

Antonia doing good works should be a PR boom for the couple espeically since her example may inspire others...

Hey Dathi,

Interesting twist with so many more raw materials coming out of Canada earlier making it potentially more valuable to Great Britian. Question of the day is although the rail and canal systems are being developed what about the support for the lines. Coaling stations/water tanks/sanding towers and repair yards all need to be built along with the rails....of course many can be closely located to ports needed for steam vessels as well.

Also if the summer of 1841 is to a construction rail boom then why not have surveyors going on early to mark the route and crews to pre-cut lumber for bridging. Otherwise you end up like OTL Alaska Highway construction where crews would just start building and had no idea what was ahead.

Antonia doing good works should be a PR boom for the couple espeically since her example may inspire others...
Looking at period examples, it looks like each rail-head only advances about 20 miles a year in this time period. I would have thought one could do more (and my calculations did up it to 25 in the last year or two), but I figured I'd better stick close to documentable numbers.

We are obviously going to have to perform better in the next few years :), but for now...

20 miles a year gives you LOTS of time to build the necessary coaling, watering, etc. stations you need, also bridging. At a wild guess the hold up is building the raised roadbed with pick and shovel, but I don't know.

Locomotives are probably mostly wood burners, but certainly there is ample coal available, from OTL's Illinois (especially now they have rail from the mines to the river), and from Cape Breton and New Brunswick.

Edit: As for surveying, surveyors are investigating routes up and down the Mississippi, in Texas, up the Missouri, etc. Immediately after the war we're going to see a huge rail boom...

Lusitania

Donor
Thank you. Lusitania suggested it, and I figured he was giving me the Português spelling:( [that's it, blame it on someone else:), of course, when I was checking it out, did I notice other spellings? Oops.]
fixed.

Actually William will be known in UK and Canada as William Duke of Daman and Nagar Haveli. While for all the Portuguese He is known as Guilherme Duque de Damão e Nagar-Aveli.

Actually William will be known in UK and Canada as William Duke of Daman and Nagar Haveli. While for all the Portuguese He is known as Guilherme Duque de Damão e Nagar-Aveli.
:confused:But the two bits were "Daman and Diu/Damão e Diu" and"Dadrá e Nagar-Aveli", so wouldn't the combined name be the two first bits, namely "Daman and Dadra/Damão e Dadrá" ??
If Nagar Haveli is the more important portion of the second possession, then why is it second in the title.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying I don't understand.

Edit: besides, isn't Daman and Dadra more alliterative and nice sounding? Of course, I have no clue what sounds better em Português:)

:confused:But the two bits were "Daman and Diu/Damão e Diu" and"Dadrá e Nagar-Aveli", so wouldn't the combined name be the two first bits, namely "Daman and Dadra/Damão e Dadrá" ??
If Nagar Haveli is the more important portion of the second possession, then why is it second in the title.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying I don't understand.

Edit: besides, isn't Daman and Dadra more alliterative and nice sounding? Of course, I have no clue what sounds better em Português:)

In terms of pronounciation, in Portuguese it is easier to spell in the way Lusitania posted. In common practice, and given enough time, a bearer of multiple titles is known by its more politically important title (this in case you wish to see the various bits as separate parts), even if the full title would be longer.
I hope this helps.:)

In terms of pronounciation, in Portuguese it is easier to spell in the way Lusitania posted. In common practice, and given enough time, a bearer of multiple titles is known by its more politically important title (this in case you wish to see the various bits as separate parts), even if the full title would be longer.
I hope this helps.:)
OK, « Damão e Nagar-Aveli » it is. Didn't seem right to me, but I'm no lusophone!

Status
Not open for further replies.