Weekly Flag Challenge: New Challenges & Previous Winners

The 9th round in the flag design challenge is now in the alt-history books. We had 5 fine designs for the flag of Tropicana. Excellent work guys.

It's an honor to post this week's challenge winner, my own submission:

attachment.php

A new challenge will be posted after the weekend.

NEW CHALLENGE:

The year is 1802. The Cajun and Creole communities in the Mississippi Delta region – Louisiana – have given up on France coming and reestablishing its empire in North America. They have also grown fearful that US expansionism will soon become a threat to their way of life. A rebellion – by one or both groups – overthrows the colonial authority in Louisiana and establishes an independent Empire of Louisiana. Your challenge is to design a flag for the empire and to give the flag a distinctively “New World” (Cajun and/or Creole) look.

You have until 12:00 noon EST on Tuesday, February 9, to submit your design on the discussion and entries thread: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=136905&page=6
Thanks in advance for entering.

Though international observers are still examining the results, looking for irregularities and what not:D, it is my pleasure (though a 3-peat would have been nice;)) to announce that . . .

Dutchie has cruised to victory in this week's flag challenge (his 2nd challenge win), receiving 70% of the 47 votes cast (both are new Flag Challenge records), with his flag for La republic de roi de louisianne:

attachment.php

CONGRATULATIONS DUTCHIE, AND THANKS TO ALL WHO ENTERED FLAGS AND WHO VOTED IN THIS WEEKS FLAG CHALLENGE!

I'd like to thank my parents and my style guru... I appreciate the vote(s) of confidence, and while I would have honoured Lord G's threepeat, I'm just as glad to take the win from him. ;)

Challenge #11:

In honour of the Vancouver Olympics (Go Canada!) your challenge is to design a flag for a biennial Cold War-era international sporting competition for 'western' nations (essentially excluding the ComIntern nations).

Contest will close in 72 hours, at 6:20 pm (EST) Feb 17. Entries can be made here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=136905&page=6
Good Luck!

Last edited:
We have a tie! Both Lord Gratton and The Professor garnered 5 votes of the 16 cast. This has not happened before in the ancient and venerable Flag Challenge, and I have no choice but to award a hearty congratulations to both! I trust the two of you can propose a suitable follow-up challenge.

Good flags everyone; here are the two winning entries.
attachment.php
attachment.php

I think the whole challenge is to design a flag that does not have the St George's cross (flag of England), St Andrew's cross (flag of Scotland) nor the St Patrick's cross (unofficial flag of Northern Ireland) on it.
Any other symbol would be fine, I guess.

Does it have to have a saint?
I don't really understand the whole idea of patron saints. I'm not Catholic. Can it be an existing country with a different saint?

Any saint can be used (though preferably one somehow associated w/the British Isles), you just have to state that he/she is the patron saint of a British nation/state and design a flag for that nation/state w/that saint in mind.

A patron saint is a saint who's name can be prayerfully invoked on behalf of some one or some thing - in this case a British nation-state. Numerous saints lived, served or are associated with the various regions of the British Isles. This link contains a list of patron saints of places
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patron_saints_of_places , and might be of help to you. Many saints have specific symbols associated with them, which can be used to design the flag for the challenge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_symbology . For example, were St. Dunstan England's patron saint, its flag might have a horseshoe or perhaps 2 crossed blacksmith's tongs on it (or 4 tongs so as to look like a cross).

The winner of the latest challenge to design a flag for a British nation/state whose patron saint is neither St. Andrew, St. George or St. Patrick is:

Eigenwelt

With the flag below:

The flag of an independent Northumbria. Colors based off of the 8th century reference to "a banner made of gold and purple", the ancient flag of Northumbria hanging on the shrine of King Oswald. Intepreted as stripes originally (as per OTL) they were reworked in the 19th century into a Border Tartan pattern in a fit of nationalism. The flag was further modified to be as Northumbrian as possible with the addition of the Pectoral Cross of St. Cuthbert after it was discovered on the Saint's exhumed body in 1869 (as opposed to 1837 OTL). This also necessitated the current 5:9 ratio of the flag to keep the individual checks perfect squares. The flag of 1823 was in the standard French 2:3 ratio as a nod of recognition to French Emperor Napoleon I's help in attaining independence from England. Reportedly very fond of the flag, he had one hung in his Hall of Victory after being presented it as a gift from the Northumbrian people. Legend has it that it was this flag he clutched and tore from the wall as he died from an assassin's blade during a state fete in 1835.
IndNorthumbria.png

Well done to all who took part.

Challenge 13: FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION

Design the 2010 ATL flag of an independant political entity derived from any colony which failed in our timeline.

Any era, location, and nation of origin is acceptable as long as the colony existed in OTL, failed in OTL, and has survived to the present day in the ATL. Failure can be interpreted as destruction or complete absorbtion. (ie. New Sweden, Darien Scheme: yes; Independent Quebec, Dutch South Africa: No)

On Eigenwelt's behalf...

Congratulations to fabrondi on a most excellent French Antarctique flag! A first win for fabrondi!

We all look forward to what challenge will come next.

franceantarctiqueinvers.png

Sorry, I'm having a couple of rough days at work, so I'll just quickly choose one of the challenges posted in the discussion thread.

And this time the contenders will have to design not just one but two flags!
The challenge this week will be "an alternate split (for example North and South Korea, or East and West Germany). May be past, present or future" (thanks to Transparent Blue for the suggestion)

The challenge ends in 4 days from now, on Tuesday March 23rd. The entries may be posted in
the discussion & entries thread
Good luck everyone.

Hi all

EDIT Insert: In my haste for glory I forgot to wait for fabrondi to post my winning entry :eek:

So here it is:

Challenge to follow...

FlagChallenge14.png

Last edited:
The New Challenge:

In 1273 following his election as Emperor, Rudolf of Habsburg falls from his horse and dies.
This enables Ottokar II King of Bohemia to retain his rule over the duchies of Austria, Styria, Carinthia, and Carniola.

Your job is to create a flag for the Bohemian territories following the ousting of the last of the Premyslid dynasty which occurred sometime in the last 210 years.

Please be creative: the flag can be imperial, royal, revolutionary, republican, highlight a personal union or philosophy, or whatever you feel appropriate; and can be from any period from 1800-2010

The challenge ends in 4 days from now, on Wednesday 31st March 23.59 BST. Entries to be posted in the discussion & entries thread

Good luck everyone!

Regards,
Prof

Last edited:
Congratulations Rubberduck3y6, the winner of ROUND 15 voting with his entry, the flag of the Federation of Bohemia and Austria!

attachment.php

I'll use my suggestion from the discussion thread as the next challenge (lazy I know):

Design the flag of a USAmerican successor state.

The country must have been part of the US at some point in its history, although it can include territory that wasn't part of the US. The US can still exist and there can be other countries that were formerly part of the US in existence as well. It doesn't have to be OTL's US and can be from any time period (after the US was formed obviously).

You have four days (that is until 23:59 BST on Thursday 8th April) to post your entries in the Discussion and Entries thread. Good luck and I hope to see lots of pretty flags!