Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nazi Quebec?!:eek:

I'm also surprised that only the St. Petersburg area was taken in Russia.

Well, I like to think of myself as not Nazi.

I had a negotiated peace with the Soviets and gained everything West of the Urals, but once I'd couped them and made Russia my ally (forcing me into a war with the Allies) I gave them everything but the St. Petersburg area back.

I also couped France, Poland, the US and UK.

Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand are the only allies left.

India/Pakistan is occupied by Japan.

:)

The New Three Kingdoms

Largely inspired by the long rivalry between the Jeolla and Gyeongsan regions of South Korea. North Korea/DPRK is a slightly less Stalinist version of OTL's version, having been more solidly influenced by China after breaking ties with the USSR over its support for the FRK. East Korea/ROK is only partially democratic and still largely dominated by a strong central government with links to both the military and the chaebols. It's economic growth, once spectacular, has stalled since the late 90's. West Korea/FRK is an exporter of agricultural materials and characterised by its messy and violent democracy and (to some) an almost excess of freedom. A wealth gap with the East has closed significantly over the past decade and it is by far the most liberal and libertine of the three states.

The map features the three competing forms of Korean romanisation used by the bickering states. The West Korean flag is the OTL Prime Minister's standard of South Korea, stolen because I'm no good at making flags and because it has cultural significance.

newthreekingdoms.jpg

What is the reasoning in making it a federal republic?

The RoK was characterised in this timeline by the dominance of the Gyeongsan region over the other regions in general and the Jeolla region in particular. The Jeolla region was the source of the anti-government movement that caused the second split, but there were concerns that the new state would repeat the mistakes, with the Jeolla region dominating over the non-Jeolla portions. It was made a Federal Republic to allay those fears in the citizens of Chungcheong, Jeju and especially the rump West Korean portion of Gyeongsan.

Largely inspired by the long rivalry between the Jeolla and Gyeongsan regions of South Korea.

Very nice map! I like the novelty of three states in a divided nation instead of the usual two. (Dunno anything about Korean regional identities, alas)

Any Chance of a UK made up of states? (I guess it'd need a new name but hey)

So like:
East Anglia, capital Norwich
East Midlands, capital Coventry
Greater London, capital London
Highlands and Islands, capital Aberdeen
Lancashire, capital Manchester
Lowlands, capital Edinburgh
Northern Ireland, capital Belfast
Northumbria and Cumbria, capital Newcastle
South East, capital Southampton
South West, capital Bath
West Midlands, capital Birmingham
Wales, capital Cardiff
Yorkshire, capital Leeds

Yeah you get the idea, I know they need work =P

Please could someone have a go? go crazy!

So like:
East Anglia, capital Norwich
East Midlands, capital Coventry
Greater London, capital London
Highlands and Islands, capital Aberdeen
Lancashire, capital Manchester
Lowlands, capital Edinburgh
Northern Ireland, capital Belfast
Northumbria and Cumbria, capital Newcastle
South East, capital Southampton
South West, capital Bath
West Midlands, capital Birmingham
Wales, capital Cardiff
Yorkshire, capital Leeds

Yeah you get the idea, I know they need work =P

Please could someone have a go? go crazy!

I hope your not from the UK (not in a harsh way but unless your quite young you should have better geography knowledge on your nation:)), because Northumbria is a very lose term dating to an Anglo-Saxon realm so would be hard to define and Coventry is simply just miles from Birmingham so could not be the capital of the East Midlands; Nottingham would be a better option and I think York should be the capital of Yorkshire. Other than that may make a good map.

Any chance this will be used for a British republic?:confused::rolleyes:

Well I was just throwing it out there, man.

And I do live in the UK, and Coventry if not used, should be replaced by Leicester, not Nottingham.
In reaction to York as the capital of Yorkshire? Only if you were basing it upon oldy oldy folk, Leeds is sooo much bigger and people from Yorkshire see Leeds as their modern centre.

But yeah, it was just me literally picking capitals from thin air.

I thought there'd be more controversy over Southampton/Bath.

Some maps expanding on scenarios in Herman Kahn and Anthony J. Weiner’s “The Year 2000: a Framework for Speculation on the Next Thirty-Three Years”, published 1967.

A world in which the USSR has made a relatively successful transition to a mixed economy. It failed to get most of Eastern Europe into the new, closer “Soviet Association”, but has allowed Poland, Hungary and Czechoslovakia to go their own way, although nixing their membership in NATO. The area from Portugal to the Pacific is largely economically unified. It is a relatively peaceful and progressive world, with heavy investment and involvement in third-world development, and a better-funded UN through which major efforts are underway to uplift some of the more deeply screwed up parts of the globe. The USSR never invaded Afghanistan, and Détente has been the normal state of affairs since the late 70s.

The world is largely post-ideological, American and Soviet troops have both pulled back from central Europe. It is a world of organized economic unions and blocks – it is not entirely a free-trade world, though, since it is recognized that the more backwards areas need some protections for infant industries, and local free-trade blocks have been set up as “training wheels” for places like Southern Africa or Andean America. The USSR has its own development organization working with old allies in parallel and to some extent in competition with the UN. Japan is also a major banker of third-world development. China has modernized as OTL, but is a bit politically isolated due to Soviet hostility and a regime just as nasty as OTL. Africa and Latin America are richer than OTL, and more urbanized. A joint US-Soviet-EC Mars voyage is in the planning stages. The US is a bit more populous than OTL, has a “centrist” economic model in the OTL Clinton mode, and has finally buried the hatchet with Cuba, which has now joined NAFTA.

Not that the world is ideal. The US is in some ways more socially conservative than OTL, the young are going through a new phase of radicalism and boredom with peace and prosperity, while the Right rails about UN and international agreements preventing Full Globalization from showering its benefits on the world. The United Arab Republic is getting increasingly pushy about the Mahgreb joining, and Islamic immigrants are still having trouble fitting into European society (although “Eurabia” has never caught on). Several hard-line leftist regimes still exist (the Red Congo is particularly worrisome), and Pakistan, without the economic and prestige shot in the arm it received by becoming a US ally in the Afghan insurgency effort, has fallen into civil war, and the UN forces are overstretched and very jumpy – and then there’s the Pathan movement for unification with Afghanistan (roughly as awful as OTL Yemen, with more armed feuds). India is still poorly integrated with the world economy, and Bosnia is still a mess, and the Saudis are still dicks. With a bigger global economy, more oil is being guzzled, oil prices have gone up to the point where it’s beginning to hurt economic growth, and major nations are scrambling to develop substitutes.

Bruce

Kahn2.png

A Red-Green, leftist-pro third world EC (initially dominated by France but increasingly a French-German-Italian triumvirate) has split up the act with the US & UK and now a three-way struggle for political influence troubles international politics. The EC is close to a federal Europe, rather more closely integrated than OTL, somewhat poorer and rather more militarized with the US no longer shouldering the burden of keeping off the USSR: the nuclear arsenal (west Germans and Italian now have their own bomb factories) is larger than it ever was OTL, and there is universal military service (nowadays for women as well as men). The USSR, which nowadays runs Eastern Europe as essentially parts of the USSR proper (although maintaining the fiction of their independence) finally managed to arrest the seemingly inexorable slide of the economy in the late 90’s, but remains relatively impoverished and strife-ridden. A tank on every corner and an informer in every apartment has kept things from falling apart: with the USSR finally feeding itself (admittedly to some extent on synthetics), the West split into hostile and recriminatory parts, and US big business being even more dominant (and therefore disliked) in the poorer countries in their sphere of influence than OTL, the Party and Secret Police aren’t quite ready to give up the ship yet. China has had a bad stretch, with a show of force in the Taiwan straits having spiraled out of control and the Soviets dog-piling on, and currently the US and USSR occupy large chunks of Chinese territory as leverage to prevent the Chinese from rebuilding their destroyed-on-the-ground nuclear arsenal. (Truck bombs go off regularly: Soviet and US rhetoric is…predictable). Europe is currently China’s biggest trade and investment partner.

The Soviets and the US may have a common interest in China, but they clash elsewhere, especially in the Middle East, where Soviet support for the now nuclear-armed Iraqi dictator is a running sore in US-Soviet relations. An Israel feeling even more threatened than OTL remains convinced than only through a pose of extreme and uncompromising toughness can they survive, and the US has massive forces in place in Iran, which aside from deterring the USSR also help keep the Shah on his throne. Third-world struggle and unrest are common, “progressive” (anti-US) movements are supported by both the EC and the USSR (especially if there are sweetheart deals for EC companies or Soviet for-profit combines involved. Hey, the Revolution has to eat). The African Unificationist movement has actually had some success in its long-term program of unifying sub-Saharan Africa, with EC help: unfortunately, this has spooked some other EC clients uninterested in being someone else’s province, which have defected to the US or Soviet side. The Soviets have their own difficulties in Ethiopia, where EC and US backed insurrections have made the place so ungovernable that it is now pretty much run by the Red Army, which increases the patriotic fervor of the revolutionaries: in retrospect, giving the Ogaden to their North Somali allies as a reward for their assistance was probably a bad idea. The US is also busy in various parts of the third world, and is increasingly embarrassed by its continued alliance to still-Apartheid South Africa. At least they managed to successfully fence in and keep “free” a small chunk of Vietnam, it would have been really embarrassing to lose the whole thing (although it does tie down quite a few troops). The US is fiercely pro-business (the US fights economic battles with the EC like military campaigns) more militarist than OTL (it maintains conscription), while being a bit less shreddy-shreddy with the US constitution (with a more “citizen” army, treating civilians like knaves and children is politically riskier: for one thing, liberal protestors are likelier to shoot back).

There is considerable near-earth space development, with the EC solar power satellite program now several billion Euros in the red, and providing some useful object lessons for US space enthusiasts: meanwhile, the Soviets, using their new extra-mongo booster rockets, have put something large in orbit. What it is, they aren’t saying.

Bruce

Kahn6.png

Last edited:
And I do live in the UK, and Coventry if not used, should be replaced by Leicester, not Nottingham.
In reaction to York as the capital of Yorkshire? Only if you were basing it upon oldy oldy folk, Leeds is sooo much bigger and people from Yorkshire see Leeds as their modern centre.

But yeah, it was just me literally picking capitals from thin air.

I thought there'd be more controversy over Southampton/Bath.

Leicester over Nottingham? Hard to believe when Nottingham has a better recognised university. Their populations are very similar and Nottingham has a larger and more used airport and many more train links converge on Nottingham rather than Leicester.

In this world, the USSR got into a full-blown war with China, which grew into a hopeless effort to occupy N. China, which then bloomed into a massive revolt in Eastern Europe, which then led to…political difficulties at home. The current military dictatorship has managed to hold onto or recapture all parts of the old USSR, although Eastern Europe was lost and the towel was thrown in on China quite a while ago. The international scene is a bit tense: the Russian-nationalist, Communist Lite “Red-Brown” Russia, a Japan pissed at all the fallout it received, the expanded EC and the somewhat Christopathic US do not get along too well. The Russians still fulminate that the US somehow tricked them into going to war with China and the Europeans fomented the revolts in Eastern Europe. The USSR continues to muck around in the Third World, and proxy fights with the US are common. Third world intervention has become increasingly heavy-handed of late, especially under the last president, a hard-core conservative who was of the opinion that what the Third World needed was a good kick in the pants, followed by bibles, instead of charity. In a form of fairly formidable “neo-colonialism”, several third-world nations have been forced to essentially put their economies and most of their administration under foreign control.

The EC generally trades with third-world dictators with little concern with their ideology, and is increasingly annoyed about Soviet efforts to bully them on the subject of Poland and Romania. It has absorbed a Yugoslavia which managed to stay (more or less) united and make a more successful transition to Capitalism. It is somewhat more right-wing than OTL, and a couple neo-fascist (not that they call themselves that) parties are doing fairly well in France and Italy. China is fragmented, with only about 3/5 the population of OTL and unlikely to reunify soon. Japan has rearmed, developing its own nuclear arsenal to possibly help convince other people to avoid nuclear wars in its own back yard. The US is going through a religious phase, with the last election being between a moderate evangelical and a serious fire-breather, although fortunately the winner was more into the Feeding the Hungry and Clothing the Naked parts of the Bible than in the bits which talk about exterminating those who deal with the devil.

A new third-world movement, the “Human Front”, has arisen from the ashes of the old Bandung Conference, led by Brazil and an India which has decisively turned against Russian “fascism in red pajamas” since the military takeover and the ashes of 300 million dead human beings drifted over the Himalayas. With a strong emphasis on economic development and independence from US control, neutralism combined with strong mutual defense, and much idealistic support from the younger generations, US and Soviet gambling types generally give 2-1 odds that it will fall apart within a decade. Currently, aid workers and soldiers from Tanzania and the Big Three HF nations are gingerly carrying out the joint administration of the Zaire/Congo together with the United States: nobody trust anyone enough to give them full control of Congolese resources. South Africa had a messy and long – running civil war and has been reconstituted as a shaky federation of states. Oddly enough, Israel and the Jews are getting along not too badly – the Palestinian takeover of Jordan finally gave them a state, and after Israel gave them _most_ of the west Bank and Gaza, the “drive them into the sea” rhetoric eventually died down. (Although Fundamentalist Egypt and its fussing about the Sinai remains a bit of a pain).

Bruce

Kahn5.png

Map 1
Bruce

Shiny. I would like to live in such a world.

Woahh. Scary, but i like the federated EC. Was hoping for joint leadership of Germany and France though, not a french dominated EC. Or better, German, french and italian leadership, as all 3 probably have basically the very same amount of population.

Even worse than scary!

Anyway, awesome maps, nice backstories.
Good read!

More from where that came from!

Status
Not open for further replies.