Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just something ASB: a classical Greek-verse map...

Bruce

HerodotusWorldSegoeScript3.gif

Susano

Banned
Thanks for the comment.

And for those curious, here is the map. Not my best work, but it is an old one.
First thing I saw: You located Frankfurt way too west, I think :p

Okay, the new continent is complete and I even reveal it's location!
Please comment on my work.

PS: I know it's ASB, but I wanted to post it here first, then the ASB-map thread.

Ah, duh! I KNEW I knew the hook from your preview froms omewhere, but couldnt figure out from where :D
Its way too large, though. I find that kinda silly, too, but Aventuria north to south isnt larger than Denmark to Italys south.

Apologies for size, as it were ;) ; a sequel of sorts to that map of Alsace-Lorraine...
Hrm, it stime for a territorial reform in Germany.

Mehh, Prussia is most lucky nation that emerged to exist - I would indeed suspect Deus ex Machina. (stupid, short-sighted Sigismund the Old :mad:) :D.
Prussia was no nation :p

Thande

Donor

Bruce
I like that sort of thing, but anyone who puts Albion in Europe is in trouble :mad:

(I don't know why those classical Greek maps always miss off the British Isles; the Greeks were aware of them, albeit only vaguely as some foggy islands northwest of Gaul)

Prussia was no nation :p

[Uri Geller] I knew you were going to say that! [/Uri Geller]

4283032888_39208af647_o.png

Totally ASB, based off a Victoria Revolutions game/AAR I'm doing. First jump into Photoshop, I'm rather happy with it. Just having issues with making a decent box thing for the map label (bottom left hand corner).

I'd like to thank this map for inspiration. And also Highlander's famous map. And Alexander Hamilton.

It's a bit hard to see, but really, did paper ever age in such a way as to make the map more readable? ;)

FSAm.png

Last edited:
Why would that POD result in the subjugation of Northern Maine?
Well, I did say loosely based. I'd say the proper POD is around 1820 or so.

And that map shows why straight borders are the best borders in the American West. Following the Continental Divide all the way to the 34th parallel north does not a pretty border make.

I like that sort of thing, but anyone who puts Albion in Europe is in trouble :mad:

(I don't know why those classical Greek maps always miss off the British Isles; the Greeks were aware of them, albeit only vaguely as some foggy islands northwest of Gaul)

Did they know about it during the time of Herodotus? Because it's the "map reconstruction" of his writings which I started with.

Anyhoo, a modified version...

Bruce

HerodotusWorldSegoeScript3.gif

A map of the island of one of the most important cities in my conworld. All the islands together are 640 km square, so about 100 square kilometers smaller then present day Singapore. North is up, and each line represents a gain of 200m in altitude. All names have etymologies, I can post them if people want. Part of a series. Pronunciation (it's not what you think) can be found here:http://sites.google.com/site/atomiclang/wenth/phonology

AngtherwiGeography.png

AngtherwiGeography.png

Apologies for size, as it were ;) ; a sequel of sorts to that map of Alsace-Lorraine...

:cool:

But seriously, stop mapcrastinating(;)) and give us some more Fight and be Right!

Or, at least, more 1910: A Space Odyssey. :mad:

There is no White Ship Disaster in 1120. William Adelin ascends the English throne as William III. Geoffrey Plantagenet marries Bertha, Duchess of Brittany. As OTL Eleanor of Aquitaine's first marriage to Louis VII is without issue, and in 1150 she takes Frederick Barbarossa for her husband :D

:D:D:D:D

La Muerte Du Mí

Bruce

Very nice! Is that your own basemap? Someone mentioned when I posted something similar on the Blank Map Thread that there was already a Ptolemy-style ancient world base, but I was never able to find it. Are the 'New Lands' the Americas? 'Israel in exile' ( :) ) looks suspiciously like Panama, but Ethiopia-over-the-seas implies they are indeed in the southern hemisphere. Isn't Hy-Brasil usually depicted as an island on its own?

Totally ASB, based off a Victoria Revolutions game/AAR I'm doing. First jump into Photoshop, I'm rather happy with it. Just having issues with making a decent box thing for the map label (bottom left hand corner).

Very impressive - I like the compass. I'm guessing you're playing as Byzantium :) I was going to ask what was so ASB about it, until I noticed that it wasn't the Ottoman Empire (and that the Sudan was Ethiopian)...

I'd like to thank this map for inspiration. And also Highlander's famous map. And Alexander Hamilton.

It's a bit hard to see, but really, did paper ever age in such a way as to make the map more readable? ;)

Wonderful! I love the level of detail you've put into it. Is Assnisipia based on a real proposed name? One sentence jumped out as a bit strange, though:
"After winning her independence, the Untied States had done nothing to avoid antagonising the Empire."
Elsewhere it's referred to as the Federated States - did it change its name after a post-1776 P.O.D.? I'm guessing you also mean 'Had avoided antagonising the Empire', as opposed to 'had refused to avoid antagonising the Empire' :)

---

Well, this project took WAY too long and I'm still not entirely happy with it - the key still looks a little unfinished and I've never been totally satisfied with the borders in Europe (which are supposed to look like this), but I think it's time to sign off on it. I think I'm getting better at this whole Photoshop thing - the margin background is based on this tutorial for creating a wet stone texture, though it didn't turn out quite as craggy as I hoped. The borders are anti-aliased, though I couldn't bring myself to do it with the internal subdivisions. All the borders and text are actually very dark turquoise - something I discovered worked well with my last project (which used dark green).

This is La Muerte De Mí, a TL/Scenario based around three different ideas I wanted to develop. Firstly, I wanted to explore the Union of the British and French crowns that nearly happened in OTL - but didn't want to turn it into a generic 'Hurr hurr, Britain and France unite into The Mighty Fritbrance and conquers the world'). Secondly, I had some rough ideas for a Scotwank focusing around Scottish migrants building a powerful dog-wagging colony in the Americas, but had no idea how to get them the necessary cash and manpower. Finally, I had an old idea kicking around called Inter Caetera, about Spain and Portugal dividing the Holy Roman Empire between them. I roughly combined the ideas here and here, and was so pleased with the result I decided to give it a go in PS.

La Muerte De Mí takes as its P.O.D. the survival of Henry V of England until 1441, by which time he has secured the French throne, defeated Charles VII, and married Joan of Arc. Unfortunately, whilst the House of Lancaster (now simply referred to as Anjou) becomes ever more firmly ensconced in France, their grip on England progressively weakens, and in 1458, outraged by Henry VI's decision to govern from the continent, the Yorkists rise up under Richard III (our Richard Plantagenet) and are able - at great cost - to defeat the Lancastrian loyalists and seize the island throne. However, England does not remain independent for long. Lacking a warfleet, ravaged by the Red and White War and virtually bankrupt, England is invaded not once but three times over the course of the next century, falling under Scottish, Portuguese, and finally Spanish control. 'Londres' becomes a gigantic sweatshop, supplying Spain with an unfathomable quantity of cheap manufactured goods and textiles for export. The year is now 1920, and Spain has dominated Europe - and the globe - for five hundred years. But with the French, Germans, and Scottish carving out their own empires, how much longer can Spain remain the master of the world?

The map should be more or less self-explanatory, and includes some explanations of different aspects of the LMDM world. Some other points:

- Cúrsa Pathadh ('The Road of Thirst') (OTL Namibia) and Grande Java were founded as penal colonies - transportation to Rémission on the east coast of *Australia was a particularly feared punishment. When France began to settle the west coast, it was made a free colony, and penal colonists who had earned their freedom through hard work could travel west to Côte Libre.

- Venice was forced to surrender its non-contiguous possessions in exchange for Milan, the Papal States, and the Neapolitan Abruzzes. Bosnia, Serbia, and 'Wallachia' are Spanish puppets, pried out of Hungary's zone of influence as a result of the *War of Austrian Succession.

- After a catastrophic defeat in a continental war with Spain, Portugal was forced into political union and the Portuguese language, like English, has been all but erased, leaving Brazil as the only Portuguese-speaking nation. When Brazil broke away from Iberian control, the Siete Ciudades ('Seven Cities') - the first historic colonies in *South America - counter-seceded and submitted to Spanish authority. Since then Brazil has rebuilt its industrial strength, on the south-east and north-east coasts, as well as at its huge new capital, Sul-Cruz/South Cross, and is more or less as powerful as OTL Brazil, despite its loss of territory.

- France played a Great Game with Russia in the 18th century and won quite convincingly, taking most of *Turkestan, including *Almaty. Russia had to settle for dividing Mongolia and *Japan with a much more modernised, outward-looking China.

Anyway, hopefully people find it interesting, given the amount of time I've spent on it :( Any criticism, constructive or otherwise, greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.