Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, no blurs at all this time, but more info added to the map as well.

Slightly spoilerific for any who actually reads the TL I've been working on, but meh. Already snipped out the precise date.
Couldn't imagine the communes were so widespread.
Good map for a great TL, Ofaloaf!:)

Tellus

Banned
basemap.png

- Eurowank
- Soviet Union (or neo-Soviet Union)
- Randomid Caliphate (or, perhaps Turbo-Ottomans)
- East African Union
- Über-Canada
- drastically reduced number of nations... :)

Argh! No! The butterflies! The butterflies! :eek:

The drastic changes you apply there would butterfly away the world wars as we know them in OTL... how could borders in Europe, Africa and the Middle East stay be like that? :confused: You can't just change one or two countries and keep everything else like OTL with a POD so far in the past.

Actually,your right..and I sort of knew this. But it would be a huge effert to redo the Middle East if the selected countries I proposed were to change,and I'm not exactly a Middle East expert. :(

Actually,your right..and I sort of knew this. But it would be a huge effert to redo the Middle East if the selected countries I proposed were to change,and I'm not exactly a Middle East expert. :(

It's not just the Middle East, it's everything if you go back to the 13 colonies. Would the Napoleonic Wars, the Scramble for Africa, German and Italian unifications panned out as OTL? And don't even think about the 20th century... ;)

Europe circa 1956.

1944 – Operation Valkyrie succeeds in toppling the Nazi regime in Germany and the new government immediately sets about attempting to negotiate a peace to the Western Allies. At first their requests for a conditional peace are completely rejected by the Western Allies but as news of the proposals reach the ears of the general public, support amongst a population tired of war quickly has a knock on effect in parliament. In America, Republicans begin to accuse Roosevelt of being a war monger, wasting thousands of American lives while in Britain, rumblings of a split in the wartime government and a possible election, force Churchill to the negotiation table in mid August, despite the implications in the Soviet Union. The initial demands of the new government to it’s claims of the nation in its pre Versailles borders, plus Austria, the Sudetenland and no Allied occupation are quickly in the face of growing pressure boiled down to the agreement of Germany in her pre-Munich borders, minus East Prussia with Austria subject to a referendum (which in 1947 results in the country remaining part of Germany) and the occupation by only the western powers. The Western Allies complete the said occupation by the start of October, occupying all of Germany, Italy (including Istria) and the Czech lands, while everything east fell under the soviet sphere of influence as had been agreed previously.

However, with Stalin outraged by the “Western Betrayal” he set about consolidating his control over much Eastern Europe, enforcing a horrific occupation of Finland and the Balkans. In Asia, his attack on the Empire of Japan began in March 1945 and by the end of the war in August (with the nuclear obliteration of Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the Americans), Soviet forces were battling their way down through Korea and large parts of northern China, while at the same time they also invaded parts of Japan itself, although their final victory in Hokkaido would not be complete until the end of the war (Hokkaido would eventually become the centre of the communist Japanese Peoples Republic). Elsewhere in the world, particularly in the Middle East, as early as 1946, Stalin had begun to supply several disaffected Arab states (namely Syria, Egypt and Iraq) with modern arms and equipment in an effort to thwart western (particularly British) interests in the region.

In Britain, the early ends of the war had a strong knock on effect on the coming General election. Although Churchill himself was widely seen a national hero (and rightfully so), his stubbornness in resisting negotiations with the Valkyrie government had damaged his standing considerably amongst his party. Many had come to see him as a hindrance and agreed with Labour leader Clement Attlee that Churchill was ‘a politician for war, not peace.’ As a consequence, in January 1945 he was forces to step down from his position as leader of the Conservative party, being succeeded by Anthony Eden, whose cabinet were more flexible to the idea of a welfare state but placed their emphasis on an even balance with that of rebuilding the economy at the same time. In July 1945 they won the elections, but only just. (ITTL the conservatives avoid Churchill’s calamitous actions in the run up to the elections while still having him as a poster boy for the party whose tour of Britain dominates the front pages of most newspapers.

One of Eden’s most important contributions to the post war world was his governments open support beginning in late 1945 for the creation of a strong Jewish state in Palestine. The Arabs had not been kind to the British during the war and the Conservative party had long held a pro-Zionist stance and in the wake of the Holocaust, to many it seemed like a logical choice. Equally important to Eden who was forever in favour of slashing military costs in favour of rebuilding the economy was the prospect of pulling out the 100,000 British troops needed in Palestine, instead replacing them with a strong, pro-British Jewish State. However, tensions would eventually build between the well supplied Jewish state and the surrounding, Soviet backed Arab states, culminating in the 1949 Palestine War (a sort of cross over between the 1948 war and Suez) lasting 5 months and dragging both Britain and America into the conflict.

The 1950’s brought a new era in European politics. The Tito-Stalin split of 1948 reached boiling point in 1951 after a series of political miscalculations on both sides. Stalin, fearing that communist Yugoslavia’s “rebellion” against him might lead to other states in Eastern Europe doing the same, invaded the country (ITTL there was no Korea or real equivalent to distract Stalin from his goals in Europe). In the wake of the invasion, Stalin allied with several semi-nationalist communist groups and divided the country up on ethnic grounds (although Serbia as Russia’s traditional ally came out the best) in an effort to prevent the nation from becoming a political threat again.

In Britain, the Labour government dominated the decade. Their policy of rapid decolonisation helped Britain avoid many of the vicious colonial wars that other European states suffered. Cyprus, for example was given to Greece in 1956 in return for two small portions of the island remaining sovereign British territory (for strategic purposes).

Europe 1.PNG

Almost looks like a sunward to starward map/chart of a tidally locked Venus.
That is exactly what it is. IOTL, Venus is NOT tidally locked to the sun, although Weinbaum for his "Parasite Planet" story portrayed Venus as being tidally locked to the sun.

That is exactly what it is. IOTL, Venus is NOT tidally locked to the sun, although Weinbaum for his "Parasite Planet" story portrayed Venus as being tidally locked to the sun.

Really! I have two telescopes and a mess of astronomy books, and I never would have guessed... :rolleyes: (psss, I'm being sarcastic). Yes, I am well aware that Venus rotates. I also know something a long time ago slowed it down to almost nothing. Whether the planet was knocked upside down because of that, or because of wobbling of the poles, I have no idea. I'd guess the latter, since the former would cause it to rotate in that direction instead.

Rotates backwards, it's upside down, it all comes to the same effect.

Really! I have two telescopes and a mess of astronomy books, and I never would have guessed... :rolleyes: (psss, I'm being sarcastic). Yes, I am well aware that Venus rotates. I also know something a long time ago slowed it down to almost nothing. Whether the planet was knocked upside down because of that, or because of wobbling of the poles, I have no idea. I'd guess the latter, since the former would cause it to rotate in that direction instead.

Rotates backwards, it's upside down, it all comes to the same effect.
One of the latest theories is that something like a Mercury or a Mars sized object may have struck a very glancing blow to Venus billions of years ago, causing the planet's prograde rotation to be stopped, and become an extremely slow retrograde rotation, but the evidence for this is very scant, and thus is purely speculation at this time. Another theory is that gravitational influences from the Earth and the Sun working together to slow Venus's rotation down to the point of stopping the rotation, and actually causing it to spin backwards, albiet extremely slowly, and again this theory is also speculative as well.

I was fiddling around in Gimp with this base map and I figured out (by misclicking) that you can color the ocean shading, so I used it to show areas of naval control (this is about AD 500, so it would be mostly coastal I believe). I know it's poorly drawn, and poorly researched, and poorly everything. It was made quickly.

The TL is, er, ah, an ISOT of a Dwarf Fortress Mountainhome into a mountain in the ALPS in AD 500. Brownish is the Dwarven territories. Sure, they'd start out with a very small population, but we're talking about a race that can send people flying hundreds of feet with a punch, wade through lava, and horribly maim people with fistfuls of sand. I was thinking they'd get manipulated by people with offers of ale and nice bedrooms, mainly, so whoever can make the most ale basically can win any war. Though maybe dwarves would conquer Europe...but I doubt they'll be able to build boats.

n5rhow.png

I was fiddling around in Gimp with this base map and I figured out (by misclicking) that you can color the ocean shading, so I used it to show areas of naval control (this is about AD 500, so it would be mostly coastal I believe). I know it's poorly drawn, and poorly researched, and poorly everything. It was made quickly.

Get rid of the lines you used to demarcate water borders and it'll look great!

These two maps are for a timeline I'm working on. I know they're nothing special when compared to other maps in this thread, but they're the first maps I've ever made. I'm just so damn proud of myself, I had to post them on this thread.

The first:

World Map HTH Pre-War.png

Status
Not open for further replies.