World Outside of Texaverse

Highlander

Banned
Okay, so I've been working on some stories featured in a universe I've created (called Texaverse), which obviously is around a successful Texan Republic.

I've got the history of North America pretty much figured out, but I need some ideas for the rest of the world. The PoD is roughly around 1836, so there is plenty of time to make things happen.

Any thoughts on this? Here is a map of North America, with others to follow once I get them worked out.

Texaverse_by_Alt_Reality.jpg

Well, there is the Anglo-Canadian Alaska-- why would the United Kingdom purchase Alaska instead of the United States (or did they conquer it)? There's a thread you could embellish on to start fleshing out Europe, at least.

Well, there is the Anglo-Canadian Alaska-- why would the United Kingdom purchase Alaska instead of the United States (or did they conquer it)? There's a thread you could embellish on to start fleshing out Europe, at least.
The Russians actually offered it to the British first, who declined in the hopes that they would return with a knockdown price if the USA declined (which isn't to hard, since it was called "Seward's Icebox" for years, and had no real value)

Highlander

Banned

I originally planned on them having taken it during the *Crimean War (date unspecified), but . . .

randomideaguy said:
The Russians actually offered it to the British first, who declined in the hopes that they would return with a knockdown price if the USA declined (which isn't to hard, since it was called "Seward's Icebox" for years, and had no real value)

This may be a better idea.

Fenrir_Angredoba said:
would Texas Really call their Capital Washington?

They did IOTL, actually.

would Texas Really call their Capital Washington?

Washington-on-the-Brazos was one of the first settlements to be established in the original Austin Colony and was the site where Texian independence was declared. Though the town lobbied heavily to become the site of the new national capital, Waterloo (which would become Austin) was chosen instead. Therefore, it's not to difficult to imagine Washington being chosen in ATL.

Jasen777

Donor
Akk, Texan Cuba. Anyways, nice map. Like the United States of New Mexico. You could do lots of different things with Europe. Britain and later Spain's involvement in North America is different, but don't forget about the French either.

Washington was the capital for several years, and it wasn't called Washington on the Brazos until later.

Anaxagoras

Banned
Washington-on-the-Brazos was one of the first settlements to be established in the original Austin Colony and was the site where Texian independence was declared. Though the town lobbied heavily to become the site of the new national capital, Waterloo (which would become Austin) was chosen instead. Therefore, it's not to difficult to imagine Washington being chosen in ATL.

As a ferociously proud Austinite, I will try to keep my emotions from creating bias, but THIS POST IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!

:D:D

Waterloo was chosen as the capital in 1839, whereupon it was renamed Austin. All attempts to move it elsewhere failed, and the Austinites themselves essentially used force during the so-called Archives War to ensure that the capital remained in Austin. By the time Texas became a state, the government was well established in the city. I see no reason why it would be moved if it remained independent.

Jasen777

Donor
Waterloo was chosen as the capital in 1839, whereupon it was renamed Austin. All attempts to move it elsewhere failed,

Not really. From 1842-5 the Texas Government and all the foreign embassies were in Washington. A return to Austin is far from inevitable.

Highlander

Banned
Some points I'd like to see happen:

- Strong Ottoman Empire well into the '30s, if not longer
- French presence on the Rhineland
- Free Sardinia

Some points I'd like to see happen:

- Strong Ottoman Empire well into the '30s, if not longer
- French presence on the Rhineland
- Free Sardinia

1: The reforms go differently, and their wars go differently?
2: weaker German unification? or maybe a Prussian-Franco war.
3: No/alternate Italian unification?