Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, too many OTL modern borders for 1600. Like, Iran, bits of the Chinese borders, Trianon Hungary, Afghanistan, Kazachstan, all of Central Asia, Pakistan, etc. etc. Thus, it's a bit weird.
Pakistan is just a fluke... Hungary is the result of a shit ton of Ottoman invasions and German/Austrian intervention. the chinese borders are just fillers for now as i cant think of any real internal divisions. Iran is odd yes, but thats changing. afghanistan is missing the panhandle and is more rounded. Central Asia follows language borders, and is a part of Russia.

Since everyone else is putting their contest maps here...

A world map (because I'm never happy in AH unless I have a picture of the globe. So often places like China, India or even Russia never get a _mention_ in a description of an alternate world).

It is a century since Napoleon, after a nasty bout of disease which quite rattled his system, decided to delegate more responsibility and concluded that overthrowing the Spanish monarchy might be taking too much onto his plate at one time. Although ultimately unable to maintain a hegemony over Europe, Napoleon managed to hold onto the core of his empire in the end.

Britain, faced with a continued "cold war" with France, took a turn towards the reactionary and militarized, with long-term unfortunate consequences...

A century later, the French-Austrian-Spanish axis dominates Europe. French Liberal Universalist Imperialism and it's Austrian equivalent don't get along well with either Russian Orthodox Absolutism or British Radical Imperialism (from each according to their abilities, and to each according to their needs, with the ratios being calculated in London with rather little onsite input), although they're OK with America's fairly conservative type of republicanism.

Latin America broke away from Spain more slowly and messily than OTL, but, with British and occasionally US help, it did so by the 1860's. There is a Bourbon on the throne of Peru, and he's theoretically subordinate to his cousin in Madrid, but this is not taken very seriously. The Empire of Brazil is a US ally, pissed at Spain due to it's continued rule over Portugal.

The US is similar to OTL, although borders are a bit different as a result of the British revolution. (California is the current residence of the British-monarchy-in-exile). There was a civil war as OTL, although somewhat later, and the Confederacy still got PWNed.

At present, international tensions are running high. Terrorists and spies from the British-backed Chinese Republic slip across the border into the rump Quing state supported by Russia. The North Germans (who broke away from Austrian-French dominance after a long struggle in the 40's and 50's) dream of a unified Germany able to kick French ass, and secretly deal with the Russians. America, in an era of labor troubles, looks suspiciously across the border to radicalist Mexico. The Portugese are revolting again in Spain, and an Anarchist (Kleinist-Mayerist) recently tried to assassinate the Emperor of France. As the British continue to try to shove modernization down the throats of those ungrateful new-caught, sullen peoples, and summer brings outbreaks of cholera and peasant unrest in south Russia, things slowly roll in the direction of Armaggeddon...

Peru, Montenegro [1], and Egypt - wanked. (As are France and Austria, but they're not unusual wanks).

Bruce

[1] OK, it's not that much of a wank, but it's a pretty small place to start with.

And here's the map.

Bruce

Napoleonic.png

Well, yes, but Quebec is no longer part of Canada, is it? :mad:

Bruce

Doesn't matter - Nova Scotia wasn't Lower Canada ever and had its own name. It's like if South Carolina became independent and the US decided to rename Georgia "South Carolina". It's crazy and makes no sense.

Luckily, I do not know what lapidation is :p

The map is very impressive. I would recommend making the colours more pale, however, to give it a less "loud" look. Also, while it's good that the various dotted boundaries are easy to tell apart, they could stand to be thinner. What you have is excellent, but it's always worth remaking something in order to tidy it up a little. Hope that helps.

I've finished that map; click the thumb above for the 1589×1121, 4MB version...

Felt like doing something different, so I did an Election Map for the Modern day of the TL I'm working on.
it's a surviving and wanked republic of venice?

I like the idea but I think that the internal divisions should be done in a different way, expecially the part in italy:)

And now for something completely differant...

Steampunk, Monarchist, Victorian 1984 (Ahem... 1884)

(Krall Grinds Axe... Analytical Engine has a gasm ;))

Steampunk 1984.PNG

Steampunk 1984.PNG

Luckily, I do not know what lapidation is :p

The map is very impressive. I would recommend making the colours more pale, however, to give it a less "loud" look. Also, while it's good that the various dotted boundaries are easy to tell apart, they could stand to be thinner. What you have is excellent, but it's always worth remaking something in order to tidy it up a little. Hope that helps.

I've finished that map; click the thumb above for the 1589×1121, 4MB version...

It looks astonashing :D!

Krall

Banned
And now for something completely differant...

Minus one point for the Monty Python reference.
Minus one point for lying (this is not, by any stretch of the term, completely different).
Minus one point for doing an idea that someone else has already done better.
Minus one point for misspelling "different".
Minus one point for the use of space filling empires.
Minus one point for the use of anachronistic OTL borders.
Minus one point for the overuse of that base map.
Minus one point for using "anglo" as an adjective instead of a prefix.
Minus one point for the total lack of a proper explanation or description of the world.

Following Cartographical Standards Control Department policy, your license to create maps has been revoked. Please turn in your map license, your your immortal soul, and all of your own blood to your local Cartographical Standards Control Officer. Failure to comply with this order is a criminal offence, and the CSCD will acquire a warrant to forcibly remove your license, soul, and blood if needs be. If you wish to apply for another map license at a later date then it sure sucks to be you, buddy.

Minus one point for lying (this is not, by any stretch of the term, completely different).
Minus one point for the total lack of a proper explanation or description of the world.

Following Cartographical Standards Control Department policy, your license to create maps has been revoked. Please turn in your map license, your your immortal soul, and all of your own blood to your local Cartographical Standards Control Officer. Failure to comply with this order is a criminal offence, and the CSCD will acquire a warrant to forcibly remove your license, soul, and blood if needs be. If you wish to apply for another map license at a later date then it sure sucks to be you, buddy.

I guess Sweden'll have to accept another refugee now...

Eh.

Though many of your points are valid, the whole point of the map is space-filling empires! (Though they do need explanation.)

And really, what do you have against that basemap? It's overused because it's so good! I'll say it's the UCS that's overused (which, strangely, you took off no points for).

To do one or two or even three of these things is an act of idiocy, but to manage to put all of them in a row, well, takes skill and may even be an art onto itself. we may have the AH version of "Plan 9 from outer space". 'sides this guy expressedly said he wanted to annoy Krall, and he apparently did (so he deserves at least anoter point less).

Status
Not open for further replies.