Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
name suggestion?

I guess this would go in this thread;
I've created several fictional planet maps (yeah, I know about the "create your planet" thread or whatever it was)
This is one of the maps. It's a planet that the humans in a sci-fi story of mine, find and colonize.
(I put the earth map there to show the size differance between the two planets.)

The problem is...
I can't come up with a name!
"Terra Nuova / New Earth" is already taken by another planet I once did...
So...
name suggestions, folks :p?

1planets22ddaniels.png

I guess this would go in this thread;
I've created several fictional planet maps (yeah, I know about the "create your planet" thread or whatever it was)
This is one of the maps. It's a planet that the humans in a sci-fi story of mine, find and colonize.
(I put the earth map there to show the size differance between the two planets.)

The problem is...
I can't come up with a name!
"Terra Nuova / New Earth" is already taken by another planet I once did...
So...
name suggestions, folks :p?

*snip*

Gaia... Terra. follow the greco-roman naming of planets. Earth is the wrong name for the planet anyway. it is an element more than a planet.

also, somewhat the wrong thread... but it fits in well and is very nice. :D

i would suggest making a prettier version.. and map-gasm's will follow

Gaia... Terra. follow the greco-roman naming of planets. Earth is the wrong name for the planet anyway. it is an element more than a planet.

also, somewhat the wrong thread... but it fits in well and is very nice. :D

i would suggest making a prettier version.. and map-gasm's will follow

heh, thanks :p
I still have to do some detail-work on the map, such as drawing all smaller islands etc etc...
:D

*snip*

what happend here? :eek:
i almost had a map'gasm... but saw the boundries and gah!

i must concur with EQ on the same issues.. however i have my own personal distaste for one thing: the naming of the territories. i hate when territories are joined together and share the names. NEIN!! one name, one territory. Schleswig und Holstein should be seperate. as should Aslace and Lorraine and Baden and Wurtemburg.

i also dislike removing states. Oldenburg should be there, as should Strelitz.

Random Map I've been working on for a few weeks. There is no PoD, so don't ask me! Feel free to make something up if you feel like it.
Rather than grossly expand the size of this thread, I'll link to the image instead.

EDIT- Just noticed that Costa Rica is not labeled.
EDIT2- I also missed that small nation in Central Asia.
EDIT3- Also Basakhshan.
EDIT4- Misspelled Kurdistan.
EDIT5- Missed Euskadi and Portugal.

Last edited:
Another quicky, inspired by https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=104748&highlight=thrones. befoe it's back to 9-5 for me.

It's AD 2008 or AH 1430 or 5768 after the creation of the world or variously the seventeenth year of the lung Emperor's rule or the Year of the Earth Rat or the year 2229 since Quin Shihuang unified China.

Although the Four Thrones have seen their ups and downs over the last twelve centuries, they have never been destroyed. Dynasties succeeded eachother on the Chinese and Islamic thrones, often rather chaotically, but control of the core territories was never lost to outsiders, although the Chinese of the 12th and 13th centuries had to temporary withdraw south of the Yangste. The Khazars suceeded in their long crusade to bring the Holy Book to the various nomadic and pastoral peoples of the east, and even converted Ubchik Khan when he swept west to central Europe in the late 1200's, expanding under Khan David VII into the power vaccum left by his ravaging of the Balkans. The Emperors of Europe managed to establish the principle of primogeniture, and over the centuries slowly established their supremacy over the many dukes and counts and barons.

Nowadays, a fragile peace has been in place for over half a century, since the long, bloody, machine-guns-and-barbed wire struggle for India between Caliph and Son of Heaven ended with a thin and pawky Chinese victory after tens of millions of deaths.

Nobody is really interested in a major war: the Khazars, the smallest if most closely unified of the powers, aren't really willing to take a stab at liberating Jerusalem unless _both_ the Chinese and the HRE are ready to join in: the HRE doesn't really like the Khazars much (dirty Jews and co-destroyers of the old Byzantine empire) and neither do the Chinese (Monotheists are _always_ desruptive, and if it weren't for the Khazars, Eastern Siberia and north Manchuria would be what they rightlfully should be - Chinese).

The increasingly secular HRE is more interested in trade than in military expansion nowadays, and the border between Islamic and Christian Spain is nowadays almost as open as that between Canada and the US OTL. Admittedly, Muslims _are_ a bunch of dammed heretics and sneaky and corrupt, but they have good stuff to buy and sell. The Chinese have never really been big on conquest for it's own sake, and the sufi-influenced religion of most of the Caliphate has for long emphasized the importance of Inner Jihad over Outer Jihad. (Mexico trading sides four times over the 19th century, once in exchange for 200,000 square miles of tropical jungle, rather stregnthened the notion of the pointlessness of warfare, and the Indian war really put the cherry on top).

It's a more tolerant world than it used to be: Muslims and Jews are actually allowed to do Jew-y and Muslimesque things right out in public nowadays in most parts of the HRE, and the Khan of the Khazars has proclaimed that Jews from the fourteen proscribed sects will be allowed to return to the empire, as long as they keep quiet. (The Khanate accepts eight schools of Judaism as either correct or acceptable: others, less so. Although the majority of the world's Jews live in the Holy Khanate, a good 5-6% live elsewhere, mostly in Islamic lands. Travel is fairly easy, and each of the four empires is so certain of their superiority to the others in some major way or another than travelers are unlikely to suffer persecution at the hands of spite-filled locals.

An early spread of literacy and printing, easier travel, and the willingness of at least three of the empires to allow traders and travellers from wherever to pass through their lands (and the HRE too, after the cross-polinization of the greek diaspora and the fascination with the old Empire on the parts of the emperors Maxmillian III and Ignatz II led to the Renaissance) all contributed to an easier spread of knowledge than in our world, and a more rapid trasnmittal of ideas and technolgies. Scientific thought first arose in the Islamic lands, but in the resource-poor middle east, was slow to help spark an industrial revolution, while Europeans and Chinese were faster to pick up on the interesting things one could do with coal and iron.

Today, the oceans are busy with steamships, Asia and Africa are closely patterned with rail and telegraph lines, and the oil-rich Islamic lands are bustling with automobiles. An old earth and evolution are grudgingly accepted among the educated and scholarly in all the empires, although the teaching of evolution is still banned in the Sultanate of Delhi. And some scholars in Cairo are beginning to work out some of the more remarkable properties of some rare heavy metals...

FourThrones2.png

Goldstein

Banned
Random Map I've been working on for a few weeks. There is no PoD, so don't ask me! Feel free to make something up if you feel like it.
Rather than grossly expand the size of this thread, I'll link to the image instead.

I hate to nitpick a map of such a quality, but the Spanish inner divisions you depict are impossible in a scenario as divergent as yours, as they're related to OTL territorial reforms made during the transition to democracy in 1978, in very special circumstances. The regions, being each color a region, should look like this.

Also, I don't get why Euskadi has the eastern half of Cantabria, including Santander, nor I can envision a sensible justification for that.

Also, what's with that odd Tibetan border? And why Israel even exists?

The Second Reich: trying to rationalize the clusterfuck of the First Reich since 1871. With variable success.

I hate the Second Reich state borders. They're wrong. :mad: Prussia can't just conquer half of Germany, annex it all, then "unite" the rest and pretend that Historical Borders Are Cool Again. Put up or shut up, Prussia: 1860 borders or go home*. :mad:

*Or, you know, annex it all. But just randomly getting rid of Hanover, and not Bavaria - or, for that matter, Saxe-Altenburg - just gets my goat. :mad:

For once... I'd like to see a decently awesome LUXEMBOURGwank:eek: (I'm halv luxemgbourgish-half swedish lol)

Oh well... might as well do it myself...
Make way for the luxembourgian empire! (that sounds kinda wrong though :D)

btw, I know this doesn't really belong here... but I just found this old image that I made in paint about a year ago :D

Hmm... it's kinda big... oh well;)

1giantplanet2-2.jpg

Thanks for the clarification, Qianlong.

I now present.. the revised version!

ehkoqq.jpg

I hope I didnt sink any islands this time :eek:

For once... I'd like to see a decently awesome LUXEMBOURGwank:eek: (I'm halv luxemgbourgish-half swedish lol)

Oh well... might as well do it myself...
Make way for the luxembourgian empire! (that sounds kinda wrong though :D)

Hasn't Luxembourg been wanked enough? Of the hundreds of ancient states of the Holy Roman Empire, it is the only one to survive today. I suppose it is a bit smaller than it used to be.

Luxembourg even enjoyed a few years as a Great Power. All the purple belonged to them. Maybe a POD where that family remained in power?

HRR_14Jh.jpg

A different post war settlement (the POD is that Dolfuss isn't murdered at least not in 1934)

Nice concept, but that base map is seriously flawed. One thing I have personal knowledge of as a Scot: that thing is epic Gaelic wank. I'm sure other people can pick a hundred other hole sin it.

Valdemar II

Banned
Nice concept, but that base map is seriously flawed. One thing I have personal knowledge of as a Scot: that thing is epic Gaelic wank. I'm sure other people can pick a hundred other hole sin it.

All the minority languages is wanked, the North Frisian enclave in Schleswig make up less 10% of the population in the the area which is shown as theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.