A Map Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Thande
Your recent map put me in mind of L. Sprague de Camp's Viagen Interplanetarias series. There has been a nuclear war on earth, during the 20th Century that left Brazil as the superpower. Centuries later, they were exploring intersellar space, first with sleeper ships, then with slow FTL.

Thande

Donor
Cool! I've never read that one, though I'm a fan of de Camp's work. :cool:

I've also used it as the backdrop for my latest Ah.com the series episode, set in Utah.

Thande

Donor
A random map based on somesorta(tm) different Dark Ages.

Yellow = personal union of Kingdoms of
Denmark (inc Norway, Iceland), Yorkshire and Northumbria
Red = Anglo-Holland
Lime = Scotland
Brown = Portugal in union with Flanders
Dark blue = Aquitaine in union with Hanover
Teal = 'New Charlemagne Empire', a union of the kingdoms of
France, Burgundy, Bavaria, Westphalia, Saxony and Prussia
plus the Grand Duchy of Brittany.
Dark green = Genoa
Lavender = Venice
Beige = Union of Lubin (kingdoms of Poland, Hungary and Bohemia;
princilaplities of Moldavia and Croatia)
Purple = Ukrainian Rus
Black = Muscovy
Pink = Sweden
Pale pink = Persia
Orange = Aragon
Pale yellow = Castile
Pale blue = Morocco
Pale green = Bulgarian Empire
Dark red = small Arab states

Try.GIF

Diamond

Banned
It's not as good as Ed(T)'s... but then, whose are?... but here's my attempt at altering an existing map for my own devious purposes. It was a living nightmare with MS Paint, let me tell ya.

SteamLords1.1.PNG

Thande

Donor
"Bah, I'm too busy trying to remember the high and low spin configuration of the t2g* orbitals of the transition metals to remember minor irrelevant details like what they're called!" he blustered unconvincingly.

Diamond

Banned
Romulus Augustulus said:
Where was the base map obtained?
From a secret government installation in northeast Nevada --
Oops, I mean, from a Google image search for 'maps-north-america'.

Thandie Newton said:
Why is alt-Hudson Bay named for tungsten?
Because I was reading a book that had a character with that name, and I thought it sounded cool, smartass. :D

Last edited:
I have a new, shiny blank map of North America for you guys to edit. I got it from MBarry's topic 'Maps Maps Maps' in the Help and Feedback forum. However, I made some changes, because his original .png map was quite difficult to deal with, and the borders were not a solid color, so if a dark color was filled in, it would look crappy. So I painstakingly converted it to a .gif and made the borders nice, solid, black lines; easier to work with. Here ya go!

northamerica4bc.gif

Oh, and nice map Diamond. ;)

tetsu-katana said:
I have a new, shiny blank map of North America for you guys to edit. I got it from MBarry's topic 'Maps Maps Maps' in the Help and Feedback forum. However, I made some changes, because his original .png map was quite difficult to deal with, and the borders were not a solid color, so if a dark color was filled in, it would look crappy. So I painstakingly converted it to a .gif and made the borders nice, solid, black lines; easier to work with. Here ya go!

northamerica4bc.gif

yay! this is what i have been looking for!!!! now my DoD maps will be complete!

tetsu-katana said:

Yeah but... Yeah!! :p

Greetings and salutations.

Here's another - the world from Philip Jose Farmer's "Two Haws From Earth."
India has yet to collide with Asia, and most of the Americas are under water, with the result that the Amerind people went west, rather disrupting the migrations of the Indo-Europeans and other OTL ethnicites (and oddly enough, maintaining some of the same tribal identities as OTL. Note the Iriquoi-like Hotino-etc., and the Itskapintik are Aztec-equivalents.)
It's a bit ASB (the protagonist himself suspects that the world may have been deliberately settled with people from other TLs, long ago). Europe is colder than OTL due to the effects on the Atlantic current: white areas are largely uninhabited due to glacial conditions.

Bruce

HawksEarth2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.