A Map Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diamond said:
I will PM you when I get home from work.

I saved your "Southern Roman Empire" map as a GIF in paint and I've been toying with it.

I now appreciate just HOW much effort goes into making maps that good.

@NFR

The OSA TL was basically a platform for a story, as was the Dominon of Argentina-Chile. Thus the disclaimer thing. I think I sank more of myself in the latter TL than the former. But- I do acknowledge that writing AH ain't my strong suit so, I have hedged my bets on the former for being more plausible than the second, on the account that (or so I have been told) that Britian would never involve itself with S. America on the extent that I have shown in that TL (unless it wants to collapse into utter anarchy). There is some part of me that does wish that such a world of the DCA could be *real* but ....eh...

Very big stick, indeed... So they are that reality's equivalent of the Soviet Union? The fact that Japan is keeping Taiwan must mean that there's a sort of naval balance against the CFS, perhaps an alliance between India and Japan? But then there's also the CFS's East African possessions, though I suspect properly managed they can at least fend for themselves.

Umm...more of a tamer USSR. Japan did have Taiwain but the CFS was more orientated towards India rather than their Eastern coast. I honestly don't know why they were so involved in going after India clearly seing that Manchuria could be yoinked, but I wasn't the writer.

Here's the world of my Kennedy Lives TL in the year 2005:

KLW-World2005.png

NFR said:
That's not too bad, I imagine the Portugese royal family fled to Brazil and transferred to the EoB some Portugese colonies.

And there's that United Kingdom-United Provinces thingy.

And there's a Swedish Empire. Somebody must have been playing Paradox games.

That's pretty much true. Just as the Spanish royal family fled the Ottoman conquest of Iberia, so did the Portuguese. The "United Provinces" thingy you are referring to, I think, is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and the Netherlands. Just a mixing of the House of Orange and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha at some point... and as for Sweden, I dunno. Sounded cool. :D

tetsu-katana said:
That's pretty much true. Just as the Spanish royal family fled the Ottoman conquest of Iberia, so did the Portuguese. The "United Provinces" thingy you are referring to, I think, is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and the Netherlands. Just a mixing of the House of Orange and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha at some point... and as for Sweden, I dunno. Sounded cool. :D

United Provinces was the name of the Netherlands, I was referring to the merger of the two 'United's.

Thought I'd post a few more, returining to the "published AH" theme.

First, a Fatherland (Harris) map. I know the map of Europe doesn't match that in the front of the book, but frankly, I don't think he put much thought into it...

Fatherland2.jpg

And one more, from Sam Merwin's "The House of Many Worlds" (1951). Europe is somewhat, Asia and Africa entirely, speculative.

HouseOfWorlds2.jpg

The map is just for Europe. The rest of the world is just speculation on my part - for instance, when talking re embassies Da Hero might escape to, there's no mention of India.

NFR said:
What in the world is that monster bestriding Asia? The legend says 'CFS', but I have no clue what that might be.

The "Communalist Free States". basically the POD was that the Mongols empire never really fel apart and remained under the control of the Yuan Dynasty in China. Fifty years or so before the story takes place, the theory of Communalism took hold in China- basically some of the nastier aspects of Confucianism and Qin Legalism with a communist veneer. The Emperor was overthrown and executed and Chinese Communalists took control in most of the provinces.

And yes, they're not quite as dangerous as the USSR. They have troubles with keeping order in many of their Western provinces as their Sino-centric policies have made the government unpopular in many of the Central Asian provinces. This, btw, was the reason for them directing their main strength towards India and Central Asia. India was disputing their occupation of Tibet and a nasty war was brewing there plus the Central Asian provinces needed a show of force. This took the form of an invasion of Novgorod (basically European Russia).

Basically I wanted a big-ass world war which led me to set up the Holy Empire (basically Wahabbi Catholics) and the CFS along with their African and S. American puppets against the UK, India and the various Diaspora States.

Last edited:
Here's a random map where the USA losses the ACW big time. They split into seven nations. Canada also falls apert.

Light Blue: Pacific States of America (Sacramento)

Orange: People's Republic of Desert (Salt Lake City)

Red: Western Commonwealth (Denver)

Yellow: Republic of Texas (Austin)

Grey: Confederate States of America (Richmond)

Dark Blue: United States of America (Columbus, Ohio)

Aqua: Republic of New England (Boston)

Light Green: Commonwealth of Canada (Toronto)

Dark Greenish: Kingdom of Quebec (Quebec City)

Newfoundland is still British, Greenland is still Danish

New America back up.JPG

Here is a map of North America from Ward Moore's Bring the Jubilee

Red: British America

Grey: Confederate States of America

Blue: United States of America

Bring the Jewbilee back up.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.