Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, Joyeux, but why Belgium?

Did a map for Lord Roem's "La Isla Blanca" https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=338150&highlight=isla+blanca , global detail considerably expanded by the Intercontinental Almanac in the e-book version and a couple emails from the man himself.

This is a world where the Armada was slightly more successful and took control of the Isle of Wight, which became a sort of Spanish Gibraltar in the south of England. Butterflies flap vigorously (and hands wave :D ) and over the next few centuries England's history takes on an oddly OTL-Spanish flavor, while Spain starts looking positively British...

(Phrase "Ruins of Helvetica" copyright Alex Richards (I think), "Nueva Extremadura" taken from Goldstein and not payed for)

IslaBlanca.png

Last edited:
Belgium is more of a placeholder name than anything else, but I chose it essentially because it's politically neutral and there is some historic precedent for at least some of the country being called such. I thought 'Friesland' would have been somewhat geographically accurate, but it didn't seem French Revolutiony enough and the Frisians aren't all that dominant. 'Batavia' was the other option.

Belgium is more of a placeholder name than anything else, but I chose it essentially because it's politically neutral and there is some historic precedent for at least some of the country being called such. I thought 'Friesland' would have been somewhat geographically accurate, but it didn't seem French Revolutiony enough and the Frisians aren't all that dominant. 'Batavia' was the other option.

Batavia sounds pretty revolutionary.

I honestly find Belgium pretty fitting. It's got a nice Classical ring to it, and in 1800 it doesn't mean much of anything aside from "tribe that probably lived somewhere around here a long, long time ago"

Would anyone be up for a "speed-mapmaking" contest? It'd maybe be every few months. I pick a randomized contest idea from a list, and then the people who want to compete have something like 8 hours to make their map. It'd be like the MotF, except more sparse and more intense. Sound like a cool idea to anyone? :)

"Belgium" for the Netherlands is certainly not unsual in the late 18th century and until 1830, for example, two Nassau princes had the given name "Belgicus".
OTOH, the traditional name for the area governed from The Hague in revolutionary times was "Batavian" - first the Batavian Republic, then the Batavian Commonwealth until 1806.

323px-1802bataafsgemenebest.svg.png

And while I'm here, let me nitpick the other names on Joyeux's map:
The pseudo-classical name for Tuscany would probably be "Etruria". IMO, "Helvetia" sounds better than the version with a -c-, the latter sounds like the font.

And Transpadane is technically wrong:
IN OTL the client republics were named with the view from Rome. Lombardy was Transpadane (north of or beyond the River Po, the classical Padanus), while Modena and neighbors were Cispadane(south or "this side" of the river).
When they were merged, the new state was named Cisalpine (still looking from Rome) Republic in 1798 and Republic of Italy in 1802.
Calling a state oin both banks of the Po "Transpadane" would be widely ridiculed. Cisalpina or simply Padania would both work.

cisalpinereptext.gif

Sorry for the shameless self-promotion, but this is a map I made a while ago which is based on the idea of the Annexation Bill of 1866 being passed and what the US could look today.

I started by mapping out the territories as described and then imagining how the borders of Selkirk, Saskatchewan and Columbia could have evolved.

DA link

I like it very much. Do you happen to still have the version with the borders of 1866?

Did a map for Lord Roem's "La Isla Blanca" https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=338150&highlight=isla+blanca , global detail considerably expanded by the Intercontinental Almanac in the e-book version and a couple emails from the man himself.

This is a world where the Armada was slightly more successful and took control of the Isle of Wight, which became a sort of Spanish Gibraltar in the south of England. Butterflies flap vigorously (and hands wave :D ) and over the next few centuries England's history takes on an oddly OTL-Spanish flavor, while Spain starts looking positively British...

Fantastic map as always!

In any case, what's the linguistic situation in New Denmark like?

Ditto on the awesome map! I'm also interested in the linguistic implications of TTL (esp. in the Americas overall), and would also like to point out that I'm not seeing No.16 on the map :p.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This is a WIP for a Napoleon-wank TL, wherein he destroys the Royal Navy and invades Britain, breaking the back of the anti-Napoleonic powers, and sending the UK into exile in Ireland and North America. The Emperor dies without a direct successor in 1831, and France reverts to a neo-classicist republic, replete with Roman-style Dictatorship protocols. More detailed backstory to come when the map is complete.

Thinking I should find a way to better distinguish the internal and external borders.

Neat. I've wanted to draw a map of Napoleonic Italy myself for some time. Looks like its coming along real nice.

And while I'm here, let me nitpick the other names on Joyeux's map:
The pseudo-classical name for Tuscany would probably be "Etruria". IMO, "Helvetia" sounds better than the version with a -c-, the latter sounds like the font.

And Transpadane is technically wrong:
IN OTL the client republics were named with the view from Rome. Lombardy was Transpadane (north of or beyond the River Po, the classical Padanus), while Modena and neighbors were Cispadane(south or "this side" of the river).
When they were merged, the new state was named Cisalpine (still looking from Rome) Republic in 1798 and Republic of Italy in 1802.
Calling a state oin both banks of the Po "Transpadane" would be widely ridiculed. Cisalpina or simply Padania would both work.

I realised that part as I was doing it, I just like the name I guess, but I'll change it. I'll probably call it either Padania or simply Italy.

Neat. I've wanted to draw a map of Napoleonic Italy myself for some time. Looks like its coming along real nice.

Thanks. It's my second ever map using Inkscape.

Just a quick-and-dirty map I banged out for an NG scenario with some friends.

Basically, Iran is invading Iraq to set up a Shiite Republic (the Iraqi government is totally paralyzed and can't deal with anything, militias mostly control the countryside) and has blockaded the Strait of Hormuz. Continuing Russian presence in Syria + lessened U.S. presence in the Persian Gulf (5th Fleet has been nerfed) + slightly less sane Saudis + a very, very nervous Israel + one scared-shitless Oman = fun fun fun.

Full size

middle_east__anno_2018_by_zeksora-d9oo29h.png

Status
Not open for further replies.