Lands of Red and Gold, Act II

The Poarter

Banned
I know nothing about Dragon Age except what I can briefly gain from a glance at Polonopedia (useless for setting info) and the Dragon Age wikia (too detailed for a quick summary of what compares to what).

I can speak in general terms about how Aururian-themed settings would show up in fantasy settings. What tends to happen is that with any fantasy settings which are "generic European" - for want of a better phrase - they often have "exotic" regions which are further away, but part of the world. In OTL, those might include (say) a vaguely Chinese, a vaguely Egyptian, a vaguely Arabian/Persian (strange how those are often blended), a vaguely Indian, and so forth. ITTL, an Aururian-themed nation or nations would be part of that general trend of exotica, often with a religion which has strong similarities to Plirism.

In more detailed settings, there would often be a separate analogue nation for the Atjuntja, and one which is a mishmash of Five Rivers, Plirism, and various smaller Gunnagalic-speaking societies. A Yadji-analogue would also not be unknown. In more creative settings, what they would actually use is a "medieval" Yadji setting - from the time of the Empire of the Lake, with briyuna, a nominal Emperor, and so forth.

In this case I have to ask permission for something. May I place an Aururia substitute into the Dragon Age setting. In this case small country based on Aururia is ISOT into the dragon age universe.

The Aururia has magic, mythical creatures and all sorts of things that would fit somewhat with the Dragon Age setting. It is very different from the rest of Thedas which is basically fantasy Europe. I want to make this part of the universe but as I go along I want you to point out what I'm doing wrong.

Nothing too big but some tips after you're post. A few questions before I start.

What would mythical creatures in Aururia be?
Is a country with a population of 1.7 million a good idea?
What kind of humanoid race would be a good idea for fantasy Aururia?

Nothing too big but some tips after you're post. A few questions before I start.

Is a country with a population of 1.7 million a good idea?

Go ahead and write a Dragon Age analogue, if you like.

My general thought would be a vague fusion of faction-ridden Tjibarr combined with a Nangu trading analogue for seafarers, and the factions taking the place of the Nangu bloodlines. Although there's plenty of other possibilities.

The population figures sound reasonable, especially if they are seafarers. There is the question of whether you just want them to have "normal" crops or Aururian analogues. On the whole I'd suggest keeping Eurasian crops just because it probably fits better with the Dragon Age setting, but that's a call I leave to you.

In terms of mythical creatures, well, there's been a few that are touched on, and the Rainbow Serpent probably just has to make an appearance in some form. The choice of a humanoid race would probably best be the Juntees (a humanoid, semi-aquatic race) would be an excellent choice. They are described in one of the Hallowe'en specials here.

You want australian like's stuff for fantasy, well. I made this for Dungeon and Dragon. Look here (in french, I've made a little maori stuff also).

Bunyip
Drop bear
Yowie

Yara-ma-yha-who : he eat you and regurgitate you, then you are smaller.

Itjaritjari : a giant sized marsupial mole.

Swollen devil : an aberation when he bite you, you take a disease like the DFTD.

I've made five humanoide race.

Boondaburra : platypus man, they live near the rivers. They are psionic (favored class : wilder but they makes good rogue), venomous. They have aquaculture like the historical Gunditjmara. Also they are master to exploit placer deposit and use mostly bronze weapon (they know iron but he rust).

Coorinna : Thylacine man (favored class : ranger). A dual species society because they can communicate with the thylacide (and they ride thylacine). They are nomads with herd and they are the better trader because they move frequently. They make bead decaroted clothing (like the sioux who made bead with porcupine spike, but instead they take echinda spike).

Tarrabah : Devil Tasmanian man (favored class : barbarian). An analogous of the orcs : violent, cannibal, alcoholic.

Warreen : Wombat man (favored class : spirit shaman). A mix between the dwarf and the gnome. They build borrwing habitat, are good miners, grow mushroom in tunnel. Also they are so little than he can ride red kangaroo in the pouch of the female.

Yimithirr : kangaroo man (favored class : monk). A desert species who fight with their body and boomerang. Theyn have thier own crop package (mostly the species who the aboriginal of the desert use) but with a thing impossible in the real world : giant honeypot ant. With honeydew they makes alcohol and candied fruit (In the 90's I eat candied mimosa flower).

You want australian like's stuff for fantasy, well. I made this for Dungeon and Dragon. Look here (in french, I've made a little maori stuff also).

Interesting. How did you pick the names for these creatures? I think I recognise a couple (boondaburra being a name some Queensland peoples gave to the platypus, for instance), but I'm not sure about the rest.

The Poarter

Banned

Bunyip
Drop bear
Yowie

Yara-ma-yha-who : he eat you and regurgitate you, then you are smaller.

Itjaritjari : a giant sized marsupial mole.

Swollen devil : an aberation when he bite you, you take a disease like the DFTD.

I've made five humanoide race.

Boondaburra : platypus man, they live near the rivers. They are psionic (favored class : wilder but they makes good rogue), venomous. They have aquaculture like the historical Gunditjmara. Also they are master to exploit placer deposit and use mostly bronze weapon (they know iron but he rust).

Coorinna : Thylacine man (favored class : ranger). A dual species society because they can communicate with the thylacide (and they ride thylacine). They are nomads with herd and they are the better trader because they move frequently. They make bead decaroted clothing (like the sioux who made bead with porcupine spike, but instead they take echinda spike).

Tarrabah : Devil Tasmanian man (favored class : barbarian). An analogous of the orcs : violent, cannibal, alcoholic.

Warreen : Wombat man (favored class : spirit shaman). A mix between the dwarf and the gnome. They build borrwing habitat, are good miners, grow mushroom in tunnel. Also they are so little than he can ride red kangaroo in the pouch of the female.

Yimithirr : kangaroo man (favored class : monk). A desert species who fight with their body and boomerang. Theyn have thier own crop package (mostly the species who the aboriginal of the desert use) but with a thing impossible in the real world : giant honeypot ant. With honeydew they makes alcohol and candied fruit (In the 90's I eat candied mimosa flower).

Thank you. Don't worry. I can read French. Comes with being Canadian. I am really looking forward to reading it all.

By the way Jared. Will Hainan be colonized?

By the way Jared. Will Hainan be colonized?

IN the short term, no. It's too close to China (the southern state thereof) and considered part of their territory. China is still too powerful to colonise directly, as it was historically.

In the longer term, that depends too much on the broader pattern of whether China is colonised, somethat which would be getting ahead of the story. Hainan has certain advantages as an island, but it's also away from the main trade routes as far as I know, so a Hong Kong or Macau analogue would not make as much sense.

Lands of Red and Gold #104: A Series of Unfortunate Events
Lands of Red and Gold #104: A Series of Unfortunate Events

Note: there is a map at the end of this post which will make the geography much clearer. Many thanks to Cochlea for designing this map.

“A foe should be given only one opportunity to surrender.”
- Attributed to the Hunter

The people who called themselves the Kiyungu inhabited the north-easternmost corner of farmable Aururia; the region which another history would call south-eastern Queensland. They called their ancient homeland the Coral Coast [1], and were content largely to fish and farm, dive for coral, and lie in the sun. The peoples of the Coral Coast were divided into city-states that squabbled among themselves, but the twin barriers of distance and mountainous geography meant that they were largely insulated from the wars and other affairs of the far south. As one historian famously remarked, “history mostly passed them by [2].”

Isolation was never complete; the Kiyungu were troubled occasionally by headhunting raids from Daluming to the south, or religiously-motivated raids from the Yalatji and Butjupa to the west. Occasional contact with the Māori was enough for the Kiyungu to learn how to make better ships; not enough to undertake oceanic voyages, but sufficient to sail long distances up and down the coast for coral-diving, exploration or, in time, settlement.

The Kiyungu’s ancient homeland was limited in the north by barriers of agriculture; the existing native Aururian crops could not grow reliably past the Tropic of Capricorn. A combination of Māori contact and new indigenous crops changed this. New crops of sweet potato, lesser yams and tropical wattles allowed the Kiyungu to begin a northward expansion after AD 1450. They moved north into desirable ports, establishing new city-states there and gradually pushing the indigenous hunter-gatherers away from the colonised regions. Since the expansion was by sea, there were still coastal hunter-gatherers left in some regions which the Kiyungu deemed unworthy. This expansion continued even after European contact; at that time, the northernmost major city-state was at Quamba [Mackay].

Politically, the Kiyungu had never been united. For most of their history they were never organised beyond the city-state level. In the late sixteenth century, due to the growing threats of Yalatji missionaries-by-force and Daluming raiders, the southern Kiyungu city-states banded together in a loose alliance which they called the League. This had no central government, but was a council of rulers who acted to ostracise or threaten any city-states which acted too independently. However, the northern Kiyungu city-states remained without any form of supra-metropolitan allegiance.

After European contact, the plagues reduced the rate of northern expansion, but did not stop it entirely. Some displaced southern Kiyungu still found the north more attractive. A greater disincentive to Kiyungu expansion came from the Nuttana, whose pact with the Kiyungu drew away much of the surplus population. (And, in fact, some of the not-so-surplus population). Even this pact did not cease Kiyungu expansion entirely; a new Kiyungu city-state at Menitjing [Bowen, QLD] was founded in 1655.

Only the Time of the Great Dying truly stopped Kiyungu migration. During that time of great plagues and warfare, the surviving Kiyungu were too busy trying to hold on to what they already had to undertake further northern expansion. The only Aururians who could expand much during this time were the Nuttana; with their population boosted by migration and slave labour, they continued to grow even during the worst of the Great Dying. The Nuttana expanded south even when the Kiyungu had stopped moving north, but their southernmost outpost at Nerridella [Townsville] was still comfortably north of any independent Kiyungu territory.

During and since the Time of the Great Dying, the Kiyungu preserved their formal independence. They did not make any further territorial expansion; the Nuttana continued to absorb any immigrants, and indeed continued to develop their more southerly outposts in large part due to continuing Kiyungu migration. In the Coral Coast, the League remained effectively in the Nuttana sphere of influence. Europeans were able to buy some spices and other products, but all attempts to obtain more formal influence – both diplomatic and military – had failed.

Even into the early years of the eighteenth century, the Kiyungu remained part of the Nuttana informal colonial empire. Their population had been much reduced, but the League continued to maintain relative peace amongst the city-states of the Coral Coast.

The Kiyungu of the League did not give much heed to the rise of the man they first knew as Mowarin, and later as the Hunter. Previous warleaders had successfully united some groups amongst the Yalatji and Butjupa. Some had even gathered enough numbers to raid into Kiyungu territory from time to time. Ultimately, all of these warleaders had been defeated by internal divisions, a fact which the Kiyungu had noted.

Right up until the time of the Battle of Bundaroo, the Hunter’s forces were outnumbered by rival Tjarrlinghi groups. The emergence of an alliance against him was what the Kiyungu had expected. The Hunter’s smashing victory at Bundaroo caused some concern, but even then most Kiyungu assumed that his alliance would fall apart, as others had done before.

Unfortunately, as the Kiyungu would soon discover, this would be one time when history did not pass them by.

After the turmoil of the Great Dying and the worst of the plague era, the League continued to rule the southern Kiyungu. The League consisted of eleven major city-states, not counting a variety of satellite towns and their surrounding rural inhabitants [3]. The position of most populous and influential city-state changed regularly, due to the usual low-level squabbles and vagaries of plagues. As the first decade of the eighteenth century neared its end, Kabeebilla [Caboolture, QLD] was the most influential city-state, although no single city-state could be considered predominant.

Reliable population figures for seventeenth and early eighteenth century Aururia do not exist, outside of the few large states: Durigal, Tiayal, Tjibarr, Gutjanal and Yigutji. Even the Nuttana, so organised in other ways, did not bother to conduct formal censuses.

So historians and anthropologists have only educated guesses for the population of the post-Great Dying southern Kiyungu. Most population estimates range between two hundred thousand and three hundred thousand people, with lower figures being preferred within that range. Certainly, however many inhabitants the League had, it still outnumbered the combined Yalatji and Butjupa forces by a significant margin, probably at least double their population.

Unfortunately, the Tjarrlinghi cavalry would prove to be a devastating force multiplier.

From The Man From The Neeburra, a celebrated epic by the Kiyungu poet Yukoo Laylee, describing the Great Ride that the Hunter led through the lands of the Kiyungu League

There was movement in the Nation, for the word had passed around
That the Hunter had declared to ride their way,
And would bring the wild Horse-Men—their fury had no bound,
When all the bolds would gather to the fray.
All the feared and fabled riders from the daunting Neeburra
Had mustered to ride for his grand delight;
For the Horse-Men love hard riding whether to land near or far,
And the warhorse snuffs the battle with delight
. [4]

27 August 1709
Kabeebilla [Caboolture, QLD]

Gorang had attended the royal court for most of his adult life. As one of the most senior scribes, he had been privy to many secrets, to many things which should have surprised him. He had thought that he was a man not easily shocked. Yet never until now had he found it so hard to maintain his composure in front of his Younger Brother, Prince Muggawurun.

Kabeebilla had been considered the paramount city in the League for most of his life. Yet nothing which Kabeebilla could deploy, not even if every man was levied and given a spear, could match the display of might now being provided before him.

Gorang had seen horses before. The Nuttana and Inglidj had traded a few to Kabeebilla over the years. He had heard, too, of raids against other League cities by Tjarrlinghi unbelievers, carried on horseback.

But never, in all of his days, had he imagined that there were so many horses in the world.

Gorang stood on the walls of Kabeebilla, the prince by his side. The walls were crowded with townsfolk and those who had fled ahead of the rumours of oncoming Tjarrlinghi raiders. Now they came, but they were not raiders. Or not precisely raiders.

A great column of Tjarrlinghi rode around the city walls. Rode. On horseback, at a steady pace. Four abreast they marched, in a great loop around Kabeebilla, keeping carefully out of range of bowshot or musket fire. The head of the column had already passed halfway around the city, and the last horsemen had yet to reach the city. Thousands, to be sure, although Gorang knew no way to estimate their true numbers.

They had done this at Mullumba [Petrie] and other cities further south, if the rumours had told true. Never bringing battle unless they were attacked, but riding deep into the lands of the League. Much further than raiders usually came.

“What brings these Horse-Men this far? And what shall we do about it?” Prince Muggawurun asked.

Unfortunately, Gorang had no idea how to answer either question.

From Bareena Uranj, a Tjarrling religious tract which is usually though inaccurately known in English as the Orange Bible:

Chapter 9:

1. And it came to pass that the Men of the North [Yalatji] and Men of the South [Butjupa] were united under Tjuwagga and followed the blood-stained banner.

2. His companions asked him if the coming together of North and South meant that this would now be a time of peace, a time when there was no need for Warego [heroes/visionaries].

3. Tjuwagga said, “A land cannot be brought to harmony alone, for no land is truly in isolation. No ruler, even be he most astute and insightful, can prevent discord from spreading beyond his borders.”

4. Tjuwagga said, “This, then, is the need for Warego: the Neeburra has been set on the path to harmony, but those lands outside know not the true path. They must be shown this, in a form they cannot mistake.”

5. North and South had been divided of old into families [5], whereby each man fought for the leader of his blood and kin.

6. Tjuwagga said, “The Warego are men of vision, and they will lead those who show the heathens the true path.”

7. It pleased Tjuwagga to arrange the men of North and South into new armies commanded by the most renowned of the Warego.

8. Tjuwagga said, “Let men of many families follow one Warego, that they may learn from his vision.” [6]

9. It pleased Tjuwagga to move the Warego regularly to new armies, so that the men of North and South could learn of many visions and thus gain greater understanding [7].

10. Tjuwagga told his Warego, “Choose your leaders from those who show skill or vision, not men of family.”

11. And this was done.

12. Tjuwagga said, “All that can be done to reduce discord to the lands within has been done. Now the time has come to bring harmony to the lands without.”

13. Tjuwagga told his Warego, “Now we ride.”

Had the Hunter been to the lands of the League in his youth? How much did he know about the lands which he intended to conquer?

That is a matter for much disputation amongst surviving sources. The Bareena Uranj (Orange Bible) reports that the Hunter had raided into the Coral Coast in his youth. The True History of the Yalatji claims that the youthful Hunter was part of a peaceful religious mission where he argued with Plirite priests about the best ways to bring harmony to the chaotic world of the Time of the Great Dying. Gorang’s Chronicle of Tjuwagga the Unbeliever explicitly denies that the Hunter had ever been to the lands of the League before leading the Great Ride. The Lord of the Ride does not mention any raids into Kiyungu territory, despite giving detailed descriptions of many other raids which the Hunter undertook during his youth.

Regardless of what he may have done personally, though, the Hunter certainly had access to other Yalatji and Butjupa raiders who were familiar with the general geography and divisions of the lands of the League. He put them into good account when planning the first great accomplishment which brought him to the attention of the wider world: the Great Ride.

In so far as it can be gleaned from the surviving sources, the Hunter’s intention for the Great Ride was to intimidate the League into submission, or at least to create enough fear to make it easier to obtain submission later. Certainly it was consistent with his previous actions to first attempt a manoeuvre which would conserve the lives of his own men; always a consideration for a person who intended to launch a broader campaign of conquest. He may also have believed that it would create less discord if he could subdue some or all of the League cities without direct conquest.

The Hunter ordered the Great Ride to begin in the winter of AD 1709. He assembled several thousand Yalatji and Butjupa riders to take part in the non-raid, although again sources conflict about the exact numbers. His instructions to his followers were simple: demand food and water as you wish, but fight only if attacked.

The Great Ride entered nominal League territory when it crossed the pass which the Yalatji called Coral Gap [8]. From there, they proceeded roughly east to the League city-state of Butjira [Nerang]. The shock of their appearance caused the Kiyungu to flee inside their city walls, as they usually did when faced with raids. This left the Horse-men free to ride once around Butjira’s walls, then ride north to the next League city, Gunowa [Upper Coomera]. They performed a similar manoeuvre at Gunowa, and proceeded north through most of the League cities as far as Munyiratta [Nambour]. (See the attached map for the exact route of the ride). After Munyiratta, the Hunter led the Great Ride to return home through an inland route, rather than risk ambush by angered Kiyungu.

For such a large-scale military manoeuvre, the Great Ride produced relatively little bloodshed. In most cases the Kiyungu followed their usual practice of withdrawing within city walls, and the Hunter’s orders were to leave them there rather than settling into siege. A few clashes occurred where Kiyungu refused to hand over provisions or allow watering rights; a few more occurred where overeager Horse-men treated disobedience as attack and struck down those responsible. Yet on the whole casualties were light.

Of course, just as the Great Ride did not cost the lives of many Kiyungu, it also did not produce much communication. On the few occasions when heralds from one Kiyungu king or another reached the Hunter, his message was simple: submit to my rule and adopt the true path. Unsurprisingly, the Kiyungu monarchs rejected such demands.

Unfortunately, the Great Ride was not the end of the Hunter’s ambitions.

These two letters are translated from surviving copies preserved in the literary collection of Henry Theophilus Clinton, 12th Earl of Lincoln. They were discovered there after his death in 1874. No surviving records describe how Lord Lincoln obtained them. However, his grandfather Alexander Clinton, 10th Earl of Lincoln, was a noted orientalist (as the term was then used) and participant in the Magna Meliora, a late eighteenth and early nineteenth century European intellectual movement which studied comparative religion and philosophy, and in the process translated many Hindu, Buddhist and Plirite texts into European languages. These letters may have been obtained as part of that study. Considerable scholarly analysis has been conducted on the letter attributed to the Hunter, since if it is genuine it represents one of only three surviving documents composed directly by him. There has been no definitive consensus, although the majority of scholars have concluded that it is authentic.

1st Letter

To Tjuwagga Tjarrlinghi, Lord of the Horse-Men

I, Kallangur, king of Kabeebilla, champion of the League, write to you in the name of all of my allies: the kings of the League cities of Mundarrona, Munyiratta, Kutjigerra, Kabigara, Mullumba, Nyandra, Mungaree, Gunowa, Woginee and Butjira; the kings of the Coral cities of Quamba, Gularee, Yilangu, Tjeeladi, Nguwanna, Tukka Nyukka, Beyral, Mambu Gama, Ooneerraba, Kunnamara, Menitjing and Mandankaiyal [9]; and the Six Lords [Nuttana] of Dangelong [Cairns], Nerridella [Townsville] and Wujal [Cooktown].

All the League has seen the ride which your followers made around our cities. We commend you for your boldness, for only a man of decisiveness would venture to send his followers so far so fast. While you and I differ in much of our understanding, we still both know the Seven-fold Path and how it guides every man’s life.

Yet for all of your courage, we counsel you not to bring war upon the lands of the League. Your riders are determined, but they are few. Our people are far more numerous, and our soldiers are well-armed. Our friends of the Nuttana have supplied us with muskets and cannon from their own forges and from their traders across the far seas in Yurrup and Nhippon.

We hope for peace, but are prepared to make you pay the price if you declare war.

Kallangur, king of Kabeebilla.

2nd Letter

To Kallangur, king of Kabeebilla

You name your allies in this city and that city as if such a long list will bring me fear. But I thank you for this, for now you have chosen my targets for me.

My land is vast, far larger than you who are cramped between the mountains and the sea. The rolling hills of the Neeburra are home to the finest horses and the finest men. If we do not name this city or this town as our homes, it is because our land yields what we need, where we need, and does not bind us to the one place. So I need sign only one name for my people’s land, and you can know that the one name Neeburra is worth more than your two dozen and two names.

No man worthy to lead the Warego could bow to any demands, let alone your insignificant mewling. I shall do as seems best to me, for the betterment of the North-men and South-men and the greater harmony of the world.

Tjuwagga of the Neeburra

The Great Ride made a strong impression in Kiyungu lands, and not just the impression of millions of hoofprints. The display of Tjarrlinghi might certainly made many of the Kiyungu people, and several monarchs, uneasy. Yet it was unsuccessful in forcing immediate submission.

As such, the Hunter proclaimed what he called the Yaluma. This was a Yalatji word which could variously be translated as search or struggle, with connotations of being a religious endeavour. English speakers, though, would apply a word with which they were more familiar: crusade.

The Hunter assembled an army larger than that which had taken part in the Great Ride, and sent the first elements east from his current semi-permanent capital at Cankoona [Toowoomba], down the nearest river valley [Lockyer Valley] into League territory. Skirting the north side of the Riversea [Brisbane River], they arrived to besiege the first chosen target: Nyandra [Indooroopilly].

The Tjarrlinghi did not have much experience of siege or knowledge of siege equipment. But they were experienced fighting both on horseback or using horses to arrive at the battlefield (dragoons, in effect). So they established siege forces around Nyandra.

The League amounted to nothing if it failed in its pact for mutual defence. So, naturally, the king of Nyandra called for aid, and most of the other League cities responded. Woginee pleaded the need for defence against troubles from further south, while the most northerly city of Kabigara experienced a great many inconvenient delays in assembling its forces. The remaining cities established combined forces which marched to relieve Nyandra, coming from both north and south to attack the besiegers.

Unfortunately, that was their greatest mistake.

[1] The Coral Coast includes approximately the regions which would historically be called the Gold Coast, Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast. Its major cities stretch from Woginee [Tweed Heads] in the south to Kabigara [Noosa Heads] in the north.

[2] For more details about the Kiyungu, see post #45.

[3] The major city-states were: Kabigara [Noosa Heads], Kutjigerra [Maroochydore], Munyiratta [Nambour], Mundaroona [Caloundra], Kabeebilla [Caboolture], Mullumba [Petrie], Nyandra [Indooroopilly], Mungaree [Meadowbrook / Daisy Hill], Gunowa [Upper Coomera], Butjira [Nerang], and Woginee [Tweed Heads]. See the attached map for an overview of the geography of the Coral Coast.

[4] Any similarities to the most famous poem of Andrew Barton Paterson are purely intentional.

[5] The Yalatji word which is translated here as family refers to extended family, since the Horse-men were divided into social groups of extended family (or those adopted into their family). Depending on the size of the group, this could be a genuine extended family, or people who followed a particular warleader out of personal loyalty. The latter could also be referred to as clan, but the Yalatji language at the time did not distinguish between the two.

[6] And also, incidentally, mean that now Horse-men warleaders could not rely on family/ clan loyalty for their warbands, which made it much harder for any of them to rebel against the Hunter.

[7] And which had the convenient benefit of limiting other commanders’ ability to build up personal loyalty from their soldiers, against the Hunter.

[8] Known historically as Cunningham’s Gap. It is one of the major passes across the continental divide between the well-watered coastal fringe occupied by the Kiyungu, and the drier highlands of the Neeburra (Darling Downs).

[9] The Coral cities are the cities of the northern Kiyungu. There is no geographic or status order to Kallangur’s list of these cities; apparently he simply added them in the order he received confirmation of their support. In geographical order (south-north, the northern Kiyungu cities are: Tukka Nyukka [Maryborough], Ooneerraba [Dundowran / Hervey Bay], Beyral [Buxton], Kunnamara [Elliott Heads], Gularee [Bundaberg], Mambu Gama [Tannum Sands], Yilangu [Gladstone], Nguwanna [Rockhampton], Mandankaiyal [Yeppon], Quamba [Mackay], Tjeeladi [Cannonvale], and Menitjing [Bowen].

Thoughts?

TheGreatRide.png

How are Plirite thoughts viewed among European Scholars in the XVIII and XIX century?

Short answer: that depends which group of European scholars you're talking about.

Somewhat longer answer: there's a variety of Plirite and related Aururian philosophical concepts which filter into European consciousness over that period, even while the popular conception of Plirism is something quite different (and generally not very positive).

Non-answer: this will be part of what's explored in Act III.

It looks like the Kiyungu are preparing to meet the Hunter in open battle. I expect this will go about as well as most of the other times in history infantry armies have been foolish enough to meet horse nomads head-to-head.

It looks like the Kiyungu are preparing to meet the Hunter in open battle. I expect this will go about as well as most of the other times in history infantry armies have been foolish enough to meet horse nomads head-to-head.

Don't forget how the Japanese successfully averted a Mongol conquest with the use of infantry. But as for the Kiyungu, I don't think they'll be so lucky.

One thing I was wondering about the Tjarrlinghi and the Hunter's troops, is what does their rank system look like?

I had a picture in my mind of lower-rank men wearing no armor, a basic musketoon / carbine and a pistol, along with a locally made sword. The higher-ranked men (promoted based on experience and skill, as the Hunter would want) wearing fine imported cuirasses and helmets, good-quality imported firearms and an imported cavalry saber. Fighting as good as, albeit differently from European cavalrymen of the same era.

Wow, trouble ahead for the Kiyungu. I wonder if any of the east coast city-and-micro-states are going to survive the oncoming storm.

A question: I am a little confused on the geography of the Nuttana. I know they have some other east coast protectorates, and settlements to the north of the Kiyungu, but where was their original homeland, and do they have it anymore, or are they a diaspora sort of people?

Interesting. How did you pick the names for these creatures? I think I recognise a couple (boondaburra being a name some Queensland peoples gave to the platypus, for instance), but I'm not sure about the rest.
I take the aboriginal names for this animals on wikipedia.

Don't forget how the Japanese successfully averted a Mongol conquest with the use of infantry. But as for the Kiyungu, I don't think they'll be so lucky.

It's a matter of experience, rather than luck. The Inca didn't need to have horses to fight the Spanish cavalry-they very quickly learned how to destroy cavalry on mountainous terrain, but by that time the Spanish had entrenched themselves deep and gained thousands of native allies to make heavy cavalry useful but no longer vital.

If the Kiyungu knew to stand their ground with pikes against lancers, form a tortoise (or similar maneuver) against archers, and knew to ambush horsemen in mountain passes they would make short work of the Hunter's army. But horses are so foreign to them they have trouble imagining more than a dozen in one place at a time, and so there's no way they can come up with a successful military doctrine to counter cavalry.

Sometimes infantry have overcome cavalry, but inexperienced infantry (in terms of facing cavalry), without much of an advantage in numbers and no technological edge... it's a tough ask.

Of course, there are other factors to consider too. The Yalatji/Butjupa have a smaller population than the Kiyungu, but being semi-nomads they can muster a considerably larger proportion of their population for warfare. So in military terms, the numbers would be close to even.

In terms of the armies on each side, the Yalatji/Butjupa are veterans (they don't have many non-veterans) with high-quality leadership and a decent command structure. They are also relatively united, bound by religious ties and commanders who have strong personal loyalty to the Hunter.

In contrast, the Kiyungu forces are disparate, with many commanders/kings who don't particularly trust each other, and who would be keen to preserve their own armed forces for their particular city-state, rather than the League as a whole. This may not lead to active betrayal or anything like that - at least, not yet - but it does not make for good coordination between the various city-state's armies, particularly if it looks like the tide of battle may be turning against them.

The 200km wide anti-cavalry ditch helped a little with the Japanese. :)

For the Kiyungu, well, yes, their prospects don't look that great, for the reasons outlined above.

One thing I was wondering about the Tjarrlinghi and the Hunter's troops, is what does their rank system look like?

I had a picture in my mind of lower-rank men wearing no armor, a basic musketoon / carbine and a pistol, along with a locally made sword. The higher-ranked men (promoted based on experience and skill, as the Hunter would want) wearing fine imported cuirasses and helmets, good-quality imported firearms and an imported cavalry saber. Fighting as good as, albeit differently from European cavalrymen of the same era.

The Hunter has done his best to make sure that all of his troops have some form of armour, even if it's fairly basic locally made stuff (which would generally be leather). They all generally have decent carbines by now (gems will ensure that), although the leaders will naturally gain the best ones. A few of them are still archers, too; bows have the advantage of rate of fire over muskets of the era. Other than that, what you've described sounds about right.

It's a matter of experience, rather than luck. The Inca didn't need to have horses to fight the Spanish cavalry-they very quickly learned how to destroy cavalry on mountainous terrain, but by that time the Spanish had entrenched themselves deep and gained thousands of native allies to make heavy cavalry useful but no longer vital.

If the Kiyungu knew to stand their ground with pikes against lancers, form a tortoise (or similar maneuver) against archers, and knew to ambush horsemen in mountain passes they would make short work of the Hunter's army. But horses are so foreign to them they have trouble imagining more than a dozen in one place at a time, and so there's no way they can come up with a successful military doctrine to counter cavalry.

Horses are certainly foreign to the Kiyungu, which makes matters much worse for them, but even if experienced, the Kiyungu would have difficulties. They have no particular advantage in numbers, are much less well-organised, and have political divisions. All of the problems you've listed simply make things much worse, when they weren't great to start with.

Wow, trouble ahead for the Kiyungu. I wonder if any of the east coast city-and-micro-states are going to survive the oncoming storm.

The Hunter has fairly wide-ranging ambitions, to say the least.

One point worth noting, though, is that the geography of the east coast is rough enough that it's often worthwhile travelling north-south along the interior then crossing the mountains to attack the relevant region, rather than trying to slog up and down the rugged, often forested, many-rivered terrain of the eastern seaboard. So the Hunter may opt to do that and attack his chosen targets that way.

Which means, naturally, that those east coast states/microstates which sit next to easy passages over the continental divide are in the most trouble.

A question: I am a little confused on the geography of the Nuttana. I know they have some other east coast protectorates, and settlements to the north of the Kiyungu, but where was their original homeland, and do they have it anymore, or are they a diaspora sort of people?

The Nuttana are a hybrid people; they do not have an original homeland any as such. They live on the eastern coast of far north Queensland; their three principal cities are *Cooktown, *Cairns and *Townsville. They have protectorates and colonial influence further south, but their homelands are in the north.

The Nuttana were created in a two-stage process. The first was when a couple of bloodlines of the Nangu (Islanders) set up a victualling station/ repair point at Wujal (*Cooktown) as part of their trade routes to and from the Dutch East Indies and (later) Japan. To obtain supplies for that victualling station, they recruited Kiyungu on five-year terms as farmers, timber-cutters and general labourers.

Wujal expanded rapidly, though. The trade was extremely profitable, and the Island was going through enough problems that quite a few Nangu found it better to settle in Wujal. Some of the Kiyungu decided to stay in Wujal permanently, too.

Then four Nangu bloodlines created a trading association (a nuttana, in their tongue) to outside of Aururia, and designated Wujal as their key port. With the Island going through a great deal of chaos, with the loss of imported food, the four bloodlines (later six) decided to relocate to Wujal permanently, and moved there over a period of about ten years. They recruited a lot more Kiyungu along the way.

The Nuttana then imported sugar cane, and a few labourers, from New Guinea, and took up sugar cultivation as the basis of their trade. Sugar allowed them to buy things (spices and so forth) from further south in Aururia and Aotearoa which were valuable in Europe, India and Japan, so the Nuttana became very successful middlemen and traders.

In their language and culture, the Nuttana are a fusion of Nangu and Kiyungu. The upper classes and urban specialists were mostly Nangu, and since many of the Kiyungu were only there temporarily in the earlier years, the Nangu language mostly dominated, although the Nuttana language has a considerable Kiyungu substrate. The Nuttana also recruit considerable numbers of Maori slaves (who mostly aren't allowed to marry), other slaves/indentured labourers from New Guinea, New Caledonia and other islands, and a few Europeans, Javans and others who are simply employed or choose to settle.

I take the aboriginal names for this animals on wikipedia.

Ah, thanks. I didn't see some of those names on wikipedia, but the articles may have changed since then.

You said the Nangu bloodlines moved to Wujal in a period of about 10 years, but about how much people are we talking here? It must have been extremely difficult logistically to move more than a couple of hundreds, maybe thousands, of Nangu from the Island all the way to Wujal; Especially with the limited naval technology they had at the time.

I would guess that the Nutanna would end up being genetically much closer to the Kiyungu than the Nangu, even though Nangu culture and language came to dominate because of how the Nutanna started. Could you give us an approximate percentage breakdown of genetic origins in the Nutanna? (I would guess something like maybe 20% Nangu, 75% Kiyungu and 5% New Guinean origins?).

And what's the current population of the Nangu cities and rural lands? Is there a lot of social mobility or do the Nangu stay quite separated as a ruling class? I'm really fascinated by this idea of a new ethnicity being created so late and from non-European origins, I can't recall any similar situations in OTL (except maybe the Seminole, or the Mapuche cultural expansion in Patagonia before their wars against Argentina in the 19th century). I would love to make some maps about this :D.

Hmm, so nuttana is sort of like Hansa, then--started as a general term, but has grown to mean a specific example?

I think it's a pretty foregone conclusion that the Kiyungu are toast, but I'll be interested to see how it plays out, both on the battlefield and after. Based on the last excerpt, I'm guessing the two potential relief forces get destroyed piecemeal, but how do the Hunter's forces take Nyandra? Looking at Google Maps, can the city be supplied by sea/river, or has the Hunter managed to interdict any traffic?

More generally, what does the League army look like as far as equipment goes? Some number of muskets and cannon, it sounds like, but do they have enough to equip their full armies? What are the traditional weapons in this part of Aururia?

(I expect some of these will be answered in the next update... :))

You said the Nangu bloodlines moved to Wujal in a period of about 10 years, but about how much people are we talking here? It must have been extremely difficult logistically to move more than a couple of hundreds, maybe thousands, of Nangu from the Island all the way to Wujal; Especially with the limited naval technology they had at the time.

The Nangu naval technology was actually extremely good by this period. Although they based their ship design on different principles to Europeans (mostly), by the 1640s-1650s they had ships that could sail around the world if they knew the way. (That knowledge came later, mostly acquired from Europeans).

The Nangu core of the Nuttana were not that numerous during this period. I never figured out the exact numbers, but at most 10,000 Nangu would have moved to the new Nuttana ports during the key decade. The total Nangu diaspora was 30-35,000, but many moved to places closer to home, at least at first. (Some would come join the Nuttana later).

That amounts to a maximum of about 1500 in any one year, easily manageable given the volume of Nuttana shipping available at that time.

I would guess that the Nutanna would end up being genetically much closer to the Kiyungu than the Nangu, even though Nangu culture and language came to dominate because of how the Nutanna started. Could you give us an approximate percentage breakdown of genetic origins in the Nutanna? (I would guess something like maybe 20% Nangu, 75% Kiyungu and 5% New Guinean origins?).

Genetically they're quite mixed, although more Kiyungu than anything else. During the formative years, the most common pairing was actually Nangu man with Kiyungu woman (or several Kiyungu woman, often), although the flood of Nangu men and women later changed this a bit. Wealthier Nangu men continue to maintain several mistresses/concubines, who are often Kiyungu, and so make a bigger contribution to the gene pool. In other words, the Kiyungu percentage would be higher in the mitochondrial DNA line than in the Y chromosome line.

The numbers would be perhaps 15-20% Nangu, 50-55% "pure" Kiyungu, 20% so mixed Kiyungu-Nangu there's no point trying to figure out the difference, 5% New Guinean, and 5% "other" (Maori, New Caledonian, etc). This has changed over time, in that in the earlier years (pre-Great Dying) the Nangu percentage was higher, but some of them died of the plagues and this led to more mixed population plus recruitment of more Kiyungu.

This discounts the larger slave population, since Maori slaves in particular tended to be male and were forbidden to marry except to other slaves - and there were very few female slaves. So while there was some Maori genetic contribution to the Nuttana (people being people, after all), it was much smaller than the number of slaves might be expected to produce.

And what's the current population of the Nangu cities and rural lands? Is there a lot of social mobility or do the Nangu stay quite separated as a ruling class? I'm really fascinated by this idea of a new ethnicity being created so late and from non-European origins, I can't recall any similar situations in OTL (except maybe the Seminole, or the Mapuche cultural expansion in Patagonia before their wars against Argentina in the 19th century). I would love to make some maps about this :D.

Social mobility is reasonable, although not high. The accepted route to social mobility is through merit and wealth, which in practice mostly means being a successful sailor or trader, working up through the ranks, and then earning a big enough share of the profits to qualify as high status. Speaking the Nuttana language (a Nangu-descended, but Kiyungu and Maori influenced language) is also important, although most people pick that up easily enough.

As of 1710, the Nuttana population is perhaps 120,000, which includes a considerable number of slaves/indentured labourer (Maori and others). The numbers are rubbery because they have plenty of "transient" workers, including a few Europeans, who work with the Nuttana (or more commonly, on their ships) for a number of years, but are never considered Nuttana unless they choose to integrate themselves.

Hmm, so nuttana is sort of like Hansa, then--started as a general term, but has grown to mean a specific example?

Pretty much exactly that. The Nangu referred to the original pact as an association, but it became so successful that it was referred to as "the Association", or Nuttana as it was known in other languages. They are sometimes called the people of the Six Lords, referring to the six heads of the bloodlines, who are the closest thing they have to rulers.

I think it's a pretty foregone conclusion that the Kiyungu are toast, but I'll be interested to see how it plays out, both on the battlefield and after. Based on the last excerpt, I'm guessing the two potential relief forces get destroyed piecemeal, but how do the Hunter's forces take Nyandra? Looking at Google Maps, can the city be supplied by sea/river, or has the Hunter managed to interdict any traffic?

Nyandra, like most Kiyungu cities, is not built on the water, but some distance above it. The ruling League cities are all ports, but their docks are usually outside the city walls. This is because Queensland rivers can flood prodigiously, so no-one with an ounce of sense builds their cities right next to the water. They are on higher ground near the rivers, but above flood level. The docks and so forth will be nearer the river.

This is the same reason the cities are usually a little way inland, rather than right on the coast. They need reliable fresh water, but Queensland rivers will inevitably be tidal in their lower reaches- good for sailing in (or out) of the port by using the tide, but bad for fresh water. So the cities are always near some other source of fresh water, usually a tributary creek, which they can rely on.

In the case of Nyandra, it's on the north side of the river, with a tributary creek (with water storage, and cisterns) which it relies on for water. There is a gap between the city walls and the docks.

More generally, what does the League army look like as far as equipment goes? Some number of muskets and cannon, it sounds like, but do they have enough to equip their full armies? What are the traditional weapons in this part of Aururia?

The traditional weapons for the Kiyungu are spears; they make decent lines of spearmen. This would actually be quite decent for fighting the Tjarrlinghi, save for the fact that spearmen can be broken if hit in the flanks or rear.

More recently, they have some elite groups of musket-men, and a few cannon, but not enough to equip all or even most of their armies. They also aren't fully in the iron age - although they're getting there - so armour is a mix of leather and metal.