Lands of Red and Gold, Act II

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
So let me see if I have this correct. We have a culture built around horses, whose mission statement is to spread Harmony and fight Discord, and they expand by assimilating others into the herd, so to speak?

I believe we have an Empire of Bronies on our hands. :p

I would be neat if they had some elite unit that translated as Brotherhood of the Small Horses

Brass instruments and drums?..

Does this mean the Aururians have... MARCHING BANDS!? :eek:

Will the John Phillip Sousa of this world come with drastically darker skin? :D

Let's just say that Aururian football does not lack for pre-game entertainment...

Have any of these cattle herding peoples also taken to sheep and goats?

Some have taken up sheepherding, to a small degree. Goats, not so much. The reason is that the Butjupa and Yalatji prefer cattle for meat (tastewise and volume), in some cases yoghurt, and for leather. Some of them do use woollen textiles, mostly from sheep, but it's a more limited market.

Well, jihad might work better, AND be semantically closer.

In the ATL, possibly. From an OTL perspective, it would be prone to every sort of misunderstandings, although I concur that the semantic connection is there.

Semantically, jihad may perhaps have a closer connection. The problem is that it isn't really appropriate for both in-timeline and out-of-timeline reasons.

In-timeline, the English-speaking peoples became aware of the Tjarrlinghi juggernaut in the early eighteenth century. In this era, crusade was by far the main word they'd think of to describe religiously-motivated expansionism. I don't know if most Englishmen would even know the word jihad in say, 1715, and if they did, crusade would be more familiar.

Out of timeline, the problem with using the word jihad to describe the Tjarrlinghi expansion is that it may lead people to think (incorrectly) that the story of the Hunter's escapades was in some way a parody of early Islam. When it is not meant to be anything of the sort, of course.

I would be neat if they had some elite unit that translated as Brotherhood of the Small Horses

I have lots of horse-related puns in mind for the Hunter's ventures, but I wasn't particularly thinking of Bronies...

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
I know you have mentioned that old world rats quickly became a pest, have any other wild animals (brought in intentionally or unintentionally) from the outside work established breeding populations in Australia at this point.

Well that, was a bloody great read! Read this timeline maybe one and a half, two years ago. Felt good catching up with everything thats happened since. It shows how good a writer you are when after two years I can vividly recall places, peoples and events from your alt history when they were mentioned this time round. Thank you Jared, thank you for taking so much of your time to write something so entertaining. The last few days as I've been reading this I kept on forgetting it wasn't real history.

I know you have mentioned that old world rats quickly became a pest, have any other wild animals (brought in intentionally or unintentionally) from the outside work established breeding populations in Australia at this point.

House mice are by far the biggest pest so far, similarly to how they have been amongst the biggest pests in OTL. Cats, horses, and cattle are also pests as escaped domesticates. There haven't (yet) been much in the way of other deliberately introduced animals, other than useful domesticates.

Well that, was a bloody great read! Read this timeline maybe one and a half, two years ago. Felt good catching up with everything thats happened since. It shows how good a writer you are when after two years I can vividly recall places, peoples and events from your alt history when they were mentioned this time round. Thank you Jared, thank you for taking so much of your time to write something so entertaining. The last few days as I've been reading this I kept on forgetting it wasn't real history.

Glad you enjoyed it!

I do try to keep things going so that after two years there's lots of new developments to read about. Albeit the last few months (and probably the next couple) will be slower due to various life commitments... Hopefully when you next stop by there will be more events to enjoy. :)

Thinking about the upcoming Tjarrling conquests, what are the fortifications built by their enemies like? Do they have forts for defense of their territory, or do they don't, what with them not facing an impending invasion before? Are their cities walled?

Thinking about the upcoming Tjarrling conquests, what are the fortifications built by their enemies like? Do they have forts for defense of their territory, or do they don't, what with them not facing an impending invasion before? Are their cities walled?

Depends which region you're talking. In the east coast, cities of any size are walled; there's enough raids and whatnot there that it's essential to protect the cities. Non-town forts are relatively rare in the east coast, although there are a couple, such as the Patjimunra have a couple to cover the main passes west across the continental divide.

The Five Rivers states build forts much more frequently, to cover key points such as river crossings and the like. Unfortunately, their main forts are designed to protect against Yadji conquest (for Tjibarr and Gutjanal) and highland raids (for Gutjanal and Yigutji). They don't have much in the way of forts protecting against northern raids, partly because they've not needed them until very recently, and partly because the terrain is so open that any forts are easily bypassed by raiders anyway.

What materials are used for these fortifications? Mudbrick? Stone? Are there ones with simpler materials / construction e.g. rammed earth?

What would the main Tjarrling camp / capital (is it as big as a town) look like in its construction? Is it populated seasonally due to the semi-nomadic nature of the Tjarrlings or is it permanently occupied?

What materials are used for these fortifications? Mudbrick? Stone? Are there ones with simpler materials / construction e.g. rammed earth?

Five Rivers forts use stone in most cases. Where stone is not locally available (and transportation costs would be too high) they use fired brick, not mud brick. The art of brickmaking is something which they have learned over the last couple of hundred years; previously they used mud bricks or rammed earth. In some of the highland border forts, timber is used since it is more readily available there. (Although those are mostly palisades).

Other peoples who build forts generally use stone, or occasionally rammed earth, for their city walls. Mud brick is not unknown in some of the smaller societies on the east coast, but tends not to last as long in the damper conditions.

What would the main Tjarrling camp / capital (is it as big as a town) look like in its construction? Is it populated seasonally due to the semi-nomadic nature of the Tjarrlings or is it permanently occupied?

The main Tjarrling camp is at least as big as a town; there are people who come there from all over their realm. It looks like a permanent nomadic camp - think big tents set up there and in place for several years. It is laid out with some order - there are "streets" - but still a permanent nomadic camp.

It is permanently occupied in the sense that there are people there year-round. However, from time to time (generally every 2-3 years) the whole camp is picked up and moved, when the surrounding soil needs to be left ungrazed to regenerate. (Or, sometimes, just when the Hunter wants to assert control over another part of the Neeburra.)

Lands of Red and Gold #103: Di Meliora
Lands of Red and Gold #103: Di Meliora

Life has kept me fairly busy lately (and likely to be busier soon), but in the meantime, here’s a brief update.

“War is no innate instinct of man. It is a pernicious offspring of ancient education... War is simply the name given to theft when conducted by a sufficiently large robber band.”
- Benjamin Maimon, The Dissent of Man

26 August 1708
Yigutji [Wagga Wagga], Kingdom of Yigutji

The herald struck a mallet against the gong. The sound of vibrating brass filled the throne chamber.

Puckapunyal, King of Yigutji, Lord of Summer, Eagle of Heaven, Master of the Land, Son of the Sun, waited just out of sight at the monarch’s entrance. The sounds of conversation faded as the courtiers heard the gong.

The herald gave the gong a priming strike, deftly keeping it inaudible, then struck the gong again, this time making a much louder boom across the hall. Voices fell silent completely.

Only then did Puckapunyal enter the chamber. Ancient etiquette dictated that no-one could speak in the monarch’s presence until the monarch had spoken himself. The royal privilege of first address went back to the long-vanished days of the Empire. He had always insisted on maintaining it, at least for public meetings. If he lost the royal privilege, he would weaken the court’s respect, for they would see a man rather than a monarch. If he lost too much of their respect, the loss of his throne would soon follow.

The men of the court wore robes of a range of bright colours, all topped with the decoration that current fashion dictated: a pointed headdress and symbolic wings rising from their shoulders. It resembled an eagle taking flight, as it was meant to; a mark of the royal bird. The women of the court wore elaborate, colourful headdresses and shoulder ornamentation of many sticks spread out in a semi circle, with vivid fabric between them; the mark of the rising sun [1]. The greatest finery by those who could afford even in these troubled times, but then Puckapunyal had always insisted that appropriate clothing should be worn in the monarch’s presence.

So it had always been. Yigutji was a realm which preserved proper etiquette and dignity. Even when his ancestor Larrakeya overthrew the last of the decadent Emperors in Garrkimang [Narranderra], he did not remove the proper forms of conduct which had been maintained by the dying imperial realm. Dignity and restraint were the best form of life; something which over-loud, argumentative Tjibarri had never grasped, and something even Wadang [2] often forgot.

After Puckapunyal had settled himself on the throne, he signalled for the Sunbearer [3] to approach. In a loud, clear voice which was designed to carry throughout the throne chamber, the king said, “Tell me how fares the realm.”

Karrakatta, the Sunbearer, spoke in a similarly loud voice. All as had been intended. This news was meant to be heard by the nobles, or else Puckapunyal would have organised to be given it privately.

The Sunbearer said, “Twenty years have passed since great-sleep ravaged the Land and killed so many of Your Majesty’s subjects. Twenty years since the last great plague. Some have died since then, from smaller plagues and from the last war, but the numbers of Your Majesty’s subjects now grow for the first time in living memory.”

“No more plagues?”

“The physicians, who have studied the writings of the Raw Men, say that almost all of the bushfire diseases [epidemic diseases] which are described there have now reached the Land. Those which remain are largely maladies of warmer lands, or so I am told. If Fortune favours the Land, then no more new maladies will afflict Your Majesty’s realm. The plagues remain, but they claim fewer subjects.”

“And what of other causes?”

“War and raids remain, as they have always done. But in the last days, they have not cost the lives of so many subjects as in the earlier times of constant struggle, when the Time of the Great Dying consumed both by disease and war.”

Of course war has reduced, since we made the pact with the Gunnagal. The triple alliance between Yigutji, Tjibarr and Gutjanal was more than sixty years old, now. No alliance between all three kingdoms had ever lasted for more than half of that time, before. Puckapunyal’s predecessors had gladly made that alliance all the same, and kept to it. Recognising the need was simple enough: greater foes now troubled the Five Rivers, powers whose threat meant that the three kingdoms needed to band together out of mutual need.

And, it must be said, because obtaining the new weapons needed Tjibarri goodwill. So it was, and so Puckapunyal had held to the alliance the previous kings had made. For now, he would continue to hold to it, too. The need remained; the Land had much recovering to do before war with Tjibarr or Gutjanal could be contemplated once more. Of course, he did not make the mistake of trusting Tjibarr, even now. Never trust a Gunnagal, or so the maxim went. Princes did not have friends, only ambitions, and if ever the Tjibarri thought that their ambitions would best be served by fighting Yigutji, then war would resume. The kingdom needed to remain ready for that.

“After so long, perhaps the Time of the Great Dying is over,” Puckapunyal said. “Perhaps the Land will finally recover.”

From an article which appeared in the Daily Intrepid, an English-language newspaper published in Tapiwal [Robinvale], 21 September 1996

Today In History

Battle of Bundaroo

Two gross years ago today [4], at the Battle of Bundaroo, the Hunter scored a resounding victory over an alliance of his enemies, and changed the course of Aururian history.

For such a climactic battle, we know surprisingly little about how and where it was fought. In Lawrence Hardy-Wrethe’s memorable phrase, the Battle of Bundaroo is “the most significant battle in Aururian history about which we know nothing certain.”

Literary sources for the battle are blatantly contradictory, save for a general agreement that the Hunter won by flanking the opposing forces at least twice. The numbers given for each side do not match: the four main accounts of the battle found in the True History of the Yalatji, the Orange Bible, The Chronicle of Tjuwagga the Unbeliever and The Lord of the Ride have no agreement on the quantity of forces on either side. Even the location of the battle is uncertain. Each of the four main sources gives detailed descriptions of the battlefield, and none of those are fully compatible. Four possible sites for the battle remain in serious contention amongst archaeologists and historians.

What is certain is the outcome of the battle. Before Bundaroo, the Hunter led a coalition which controlled perhaps two-fifths of the Yalatji and Butjupa manpower. He was opposed by an alliance of all of the other significant warleaders, under the nominal leadership of one Yongalla. After that battle, the Hunter was the undisputed warleader of both peoples; the Great Hero, as his title can best be translated.

After the battle, with no internal foes remaining, the Hunter turned his attention outward.

[1] Puckapunyal is not familiar with the bird, but if he had seen it, the current style for Yigutji noblewomen would remind him of a peacock.

[2] Wadang is the dominant ethnicity in the kingdom of Gutjanal, the third Five Rivers kingdom.

[3] In the Yigutji court, the Sunbearer is the head of the officials responsible for record-keeping, censuses, archives and related matters. In essence, the Sunbearer reports to the king on the status of the realm. Finances and military matters are handled by separate officials. The Clawmaster (a shortened version of Keeper of the Eagle’s Claws) coordinates finances while the Lord of Winter is responsible for reporting on military matters, organising defensive fortifications and the like (but not commanding armies, which falls to the king or various nobles).

[4] i.e. 288 years ago. While this newspaper is written in English, Gunnagalic readers would still view that as a significant number of years, since they count in a base-twelve number system and would find two grosses as symbolic as two centuries (or three centuries) would be to native English-speakers.

Thoughts?

Hunter aside, I feel relatively confident about the future prospects of the Five River's independence from Europeans. If they are right in saying that all the major plagues have already struck, then the chances for Europeans to undermine their independence begin to dwindle. The Yigutji also seem a lot more influenced by the Empire than the rest of the Five Rivers even now, though that's not too surprising given their relative proximity. It will be interesting how the Hunter totally undermines everything I've just said though, given how his influence still appears to be significant two grosses later...

Deleted member 67076

So the nadir of diseases has come. Assuming stability and good agriculture, the population should rebound quickly I think.

Hunter aside, I feel relatively confident about the future prospects of the Five River's independence from Europeans. If they are right in saying that all the major plagues have already struck, then the chances for Europeans to undermine their independence begin to dwindle.

That there's enough English speakers by the 20th century in a city along the Murray for an English-language newspaper bodes very poorly for the continued independence of the Five Rivers I would say. It seems to imply that at minimum something analogous to the British Raj happens over time in the region, with a patchwork of semi-independent states under cultural domination and directly-controlled territory. Significant settlement of Europeans in most of Aururia might still be out of bounds however.

Hunter aside, I feel relatively confident about the future prospects of the Five River's independence from Europeans. If they are right in saying that all the major plagues have already struck, then the chances for Europeans to undermine their independence begin to dwindle.

Quite a few variables still to consider, but certainly the chances for major population replacement are fast fading in most parts of Aururia. There's different forms of potential European conquest still to consider, after all. India never suffered from a wave of imported plagues in OTL, but still ended up colonised in various forms, without even much of a technological gap. Of course, the logistics for invading the Five Rivers are even worse than for invading India, but on the other hand the population of the Five Rivers is also going to be a lot lower too.

Which is a long-winded way of saying: it depends.

That said, the population decline for Aururia has not quite ended. It's not as bad as it had been, but overall the population is still going to decline until ~1740-1750. Part of this will be non-disease casualties, but even repeat plagues can still cause severe demographic loss, just not as bad as virgin-field epidemics. This is particularly true for diseases which have only gone through once or twice; it takes time to build up enough natural resistance (several generations, usually). The next wave of smallpox, for instance, will be quite bad. Earlier diseases like chickenpox, though, have seen multiple waves of epidemics and so are much less bad by now.

The Yigutji also seem a lot more influenced by the Empire than the rest of the Five Rivers even now, though that's not too surprising given their relative proximity. It will be interesting how the Hunter totally undermines everything I've just said though, given how his influence still appears to be significant two grosses later...

Yes, I haven't given much coverage to Yigutji before (too much else to show) but they didn't really change much from imperial days. In essence, Yigutji is formed from what was left of the old Empire after everything else broke away. There was a change of dynasty and change of capital because the new dynasty was formed by an opportunist who saw the chance to grab power by saying "the old emperors are decadent and taxing you too much, so I'm setting up a new capital in Yigutji rather than Garrkimang, and I'll call myself a king rather than an emperor to show that I'll not be demanding as much tribute". Of course, he kept much of the imperial symbolism anyway, and within a few years was taxing the people as much as the last emperors had done, but such is life.

As for what the Hunter gets up to, well, yes, an era called "the great crusades" does not augur well for stability.

So the nadir of diseases has come. Assuming stability and good agriculture, the population should rebound quickly I think.

It's not quite there yet in terms of nadir of diseases, although it will come sooner in the Five Rivers than other regions. Stability is more ambiguous, of course.

That said, definitely whenever the nadir of diseases has come, there will be a quick rebound in population due to natural increase and most of the survivors being of childbearing age.

That there's enough English speakers by the 20th century in a city along the Murray for an English-language newspaper bodes very poorly for the continued independence of the Five Rivers I would say. It seems to imply that at minimum something analogous to the British Raj happens over time in the region, with a patchwork of semi-independent states under cultural domination and directly-controlled territory. Significant settlement of Europeans in most of Aururia might still be out of bounds however.

As with most of the foreshadowing I make, the presence of an English-language newspaper is quite ambiguous. On the one hand, it could imply a significant population of English-speakers imposed through some form of colonial control. On the other hand, Paris has had an English-language newspaper in various iterations (International Herald Tribune being the name I still think of it by, though it's actually the International New York Times these days) since 1887, and France is not noted for having been under English colonial control for the last few hundred years. :) On yet a third hand, Tapiwal has been foreshadowed to be a major university town - it's where the Panipat is, or at least the main campus - and could attract a significant number of international students, perhaps.

The Poarter

Banned
Out of Context

I know this question seems weird but what would Dragon Age look like in this universe?

Where would Auroroa fit in?
Fereldan is basically England
Orlais is France
Tevianter is the Byzantine Empire
Free Marches is the Italian City States
Qun are Ottomans with a healthy dosage of China
So how would Aurora fit in?

I know this question seems weird but what would Dragon Age look like in this universe?

Where would Auroroa fit in?
Fereldan is basically England
Orlais is France
Tevianter is the Byzantine Empire
Free Marches is the Italian City States
Qun are Ottomans with a healthy dosage of China
So how would Aurora fit in?

I know nothing about Dragon Age except what I can briefly gain from a glance at Polonopedia (useless for setting info) and the Dragon Age wikia (too detailed for a quick summary of what compares to what).

I can speak in general terms about how Aururian-themed settings would show up in fantasy settings. What tends to happen is that with any fantasy settings which are "generic European" - for want of a better phrase - they often have "exotic" regions which are further away, but part of the world. In OTL, those might include (say) a vaguely Chinese, a vaguely Egyptian, a vaguely Arabian/Persian (strange how those are often blended), a vaguely Indian, and so forth. ITTL, an Aururian-themed nation or nations would be part of that general trend of exotica, often with a religion which has strong similarities to Plirism.

In more detailed settings, there would often be a separate analogue nation for the Atjuntja, and one which is a mishmash of Five Rivers, Plirism, and various smaller Gunnagalic-speaking societies. A Yadji-analogue would also not be unknown. In more creative settings, what they would actually use is a "medieval" Yadji setting - from the time of the Empire of the Lake, with briyuna, a nominal Emperor, and so forth.

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
[3] In the Yigutji court, the Sunbearer is the head of the officials responsible for record-keeping, censuses, archives and related matters. In essence, the Sunbearer reports to the king on the status of the realm. Finances and military matters are handled by separate officials. The Clawmaster (a shortened version of Keeper of the Eagle’s Claws) coordinates finances while the Lord of Winter is responsible for reporting on military matters, organising defensive fortifications and the like (but not commanding armies, which falls to the king or various nobles).

Thoughts?
Now I now that this is not what the name Clawmaster refers to , but it got me thinking. Do any of the peoples of Australia practice falconry?

Didn't notice it on the first read through, but I'm guessing Puckapunyal has a rather different etymology in the local languages ITTL than IOTL?

On another note, has the concerned effort by the Five River's to ascertain the extent of the "bushfire" epidemics been replicated elsewhere in Aururia? Such knowledge may give local leaders elsewhere more confidence in their dealings with Europeans than if the epidemics continue to seem relentless.

Now I now that this is not what the name Clawmaster refers to , but it got me thinking. Do any of the peoples of Australia practice falconry?

Falconry exists, although it is not as advanced as it was in the Old World at the time. The Yadji are the greatest practitioners of it, although it is also used to a lesser degree in Yigutji and Gutjanal, and in some east coast societies. Oddly enough, it doesn't really feature in Tjibarr; the aristocracy there seem to focus their attention on football and intrigue rather than falconry.

The other thing about Aururian falconry is that it is mostly aimed at catching other birds, not game. This is because most of the suitable game is nocturnal, and not so much good for falconry. The main birds used are the Australasian harrier and the peregrine falcon (both of these are also used in falconry in OTL).

Didn't notice it on the first read through, but I'm guessing Puckapunyal has a rather different etymology in the local languages ITTL than IOTL?

It would have a different etymology - although even in OTL there's no firm agreement about its etymology anyway.

Although the reason for including Puckapunyal was actually a small Easter Egg. All of the given Yigutji names in this chapter are actually names of places which in OTL have Australian military bases.

On another note, has the concerned effort by the Five River's to ascertain the extent of the "bushfire" epidemics been replicated elsewhere in Aururia? Such knowledge may give local leaders elsewhere more confidence in their dealings with Europeans than if the epidemics continue to seem relentless.

No-one else in Aururia has the medical tradition to be capable of even formulating the question.

However, the belief that Yigutji has may well spread, especially along the trade routes to places like the Patjimunra and Daluming. Still, Yigutji's belief is a little premature; while there's no new epidemics coming for a while, recurrent epidemics will still take their toll of the population for another couple of decades at least.