Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
A writeup of my take on Richard Sobel's For Want of a Nail. Map to follow.

In 1775, a rebellion broke out in the British colonies in North America, due to something about taxation or tea or something. Under General Washington the Rebel armies saw limited victories, until a decisive defeat at the hands of General Howe at Saratoga in October of 1777 doomed the chances of an alliance with France and thus the Revolution. By 1778 the Rebels were defeated, but it was realised that something had to be done even after the execution of agitators like Jefferson and Adams. The Britannic Design of 1781 saw the reorganisation of the colonies into the Confederation of North America, a union of five confederations (Northern, Southern, Indiana, Manitoba, and Quebec - note that since the addition of Northern and Southern Vandalia has compensated for the secession of Quebec, which preferred an 'Associate' status like that of Nova Scotia) under a Viceroy who represented London’s will from the capital in Burgoyne (OTL Pittsburgh). With the back of the Rebellion broken and the desire for representation sated by the Britannic Design, the C.N.A. has remained a more-or-less loyal British settler colony ever since.

Scattered and broken, their cause defeated, the Rebels fled west on what they termed (somewhat messianically) the Wilderness Walk. Rebel leaders like Greene, Hamilton, and Madison, Arnold, Lee, and Monroe, led thousands of dissatisfied ‘Patriots’ west into Spanish Louisiana. Their absence from the CNA helped ease its return to solid British rule, while the presence of several thousand angry and vengeful settlers discouraged Britain from muscling in on otherwise sparsely-settled Louisiana. Eventually they ended up in Tejas, where they established Jefferson City (roughly OTL Victoria, Texas) as capital of a sovereign State of Jefferson (the Spanish were not unaware of these interlopers, but the combination of Carlos III’s sudden death and the outbreak of the Trans-Oceanic War ensured the American settlers, who exceeded 40,000 in number by 1793 [1], were left uninterrupted) and a Jeffersonist state apparatus.

The Trans-Oceanic War (1795-99) resulted in the British seizing Louisiana north of the River Arkansas (as the Confederation of Vandalia) and the Jeffersonians expanding throughout Tejas. Spanish rule imploded completely in the Americas as domestic trouble triggered by the forced enthronement of a Protestant Hohenzollern led to revolutions all around, with New Spain no exception. By 1805 Mexico was independent, only to fall into civil war almost immediately. By 1815, when the Federalists began undertaking mass executions of Clericalist rebels, the situation had become intolerable enough that a Jeffersonian-led ‘army of liberation’ under General Jackson seized Mexico City and control of the Mexican government in 1817. By 1820 coup attempts and unrest had led to a Constitutional Convention in Mexico City which echoed Jefferson’s roots in the failed Rebellion forty years earlier, except for the fact that the nation established here – the United States of Mexico – remained standing (with many thanks to gerrymandering and a racially-biased government stacked in favour of the ‘Anglo’ immigrants and willing ‘Hispano’ stooges) from 1821 onwards, with Andrew Jackson as first President of the Jeffersonian-dominated union. By the time he stood down in 1838, an alliance with France and gold rush in California had ensured the country’s survival, and eventual development into a rival for not only the CNA (as proven in the Rocky Mountain War) but the British Empire itself.

Outside North America history diverged radically after 1777. No French Revolution led to a more traditionally 18th-century Trans-Oceanic War in lieu of the Napoleonic Wars, and the formation of the Germanic Confederation in 1799 would be perhaps its most important legacy. Throughout the century alliances formed and shifted as they always had, with only sporadic cases of unrest like that during the Polish Partition of 1804 occurring until the French Revolution of 1879 shattered the peace, thrusting France into a quarter-century of internecine conflict and Europe into the Bloody Eighties. In Russia unrest was contained until 1888 when an uprising was brutally put down (“two-million-dead-in-five-years” brutally), leading to a decade of suppressed tension. In 1898 Mexican adventurism would uncap the bottle on those tensions, as a crushing defeat of the Russians in Alaska and Siberia led to a Niederhoffian (alt-Marxist) revolution across the Empire and its eventual disintegration and the exile of thousands of nobles to Australia (settled ITTL by the East India Company's subsidiary 'Jane Company' with a much more aristocratic style of government, as evidenced by the landed gentry, indentured labourers, and own little King [2]) and Western Europe. Finally for France the long nightmare finally ended in 1909 with the ascension of Henri Fanchon to the Presidency, giving the republicans their president and the monarchists their king, and a brief resurgence cut short by the Hundred-Day War with Mexico in 1914 since which the French have stuck to picking on Africans.

Another integral development in the later 19th century was the rise of Kramer Associates (K.A.), a Mexican corporation which grew to extend its influence across every level of Mexican industry and society, up to and including the Presidency and the nation’s domestic and foreign policy. In fact, when K.A. relocated its headquarters to the Philippines in 1936, the financial collapse it triggered in Mexico sent shockwaves around the world – although the ill will this caused allowed President Alvin Silva to be re-elected against the Kramer-backed candidate, paving the way for a belligerent Mexico in the a world which, by 1939, is tumbling inexorably towards war.

Turning to war and peace, technology is roughly at a par with OTL’s 1939, as although the long peace of the 19th century led to some stagnation in the military realm, industrialisation not only increased demand for consumer goods but widened the social divides which led to the French Revolution, and the resulting renewed imperialism has galvanised military advances since the turn of the century. Locomobiles fill the streets of major cities, vitavision programmes have been broadcasting on screens watched by millions since the 1920s boom, and fleets of airmobiles prowl the increasingly tense skies of Europe. Nuclear physics remains largely theoretical, with K.A. headhunting top physicists for employment in their R&D divisions across the world, but the idea of a bomb which smashes atoms together is unheard of at this early stage. Besides, there are bigger problems to deal with: Karl Bruning of Germany’s Deutschland Party is staring down British Tory (the Conservatives are a radical splinter ITTL) PM George Bolingbroke, who is himself downcast at the election of isolationist Bruce Hogg to the Governor-Generalship of the CNA. And in Arabia, Abdallah bin Hussein (known in the west as “el-Sallah”) is exhorting the tribes to revolt against the hated Turks…

[1] 60,000 with slaves. The Anglo settlers were big on slaves.
[2] A nice sop to the Duke of York.

Last edited:
And the map:

annotatedsobel.png

Last edited:
A writeup of my take on Richard Sobel's For Want of a Nail. Map to follow.

[1] 60,000 with slaves. The Anglo settlers were big on slaves.
[2] A nice sop to the Duke of York.

I was about to comment on some of your notes, given how things have turned out to be not nearly as grim in North America by the '70s (at least, according to THIS little project...pay no attention to a little ex-island in Indonesia though), but then I noticed the timeframe of the map was still before the 1940s, so I'll sit down and shut my mouth :eek:. Overall, great job on this map, I've been waiting to see somebody talented make one with the updated/realistic borders outside the book itself!

EDIT: A-ha, I did have a couple of nits to pick with the CNA. First, isn't South Carolina still apart from North Carolina? Also, and maybe this is just the map scale, but Burgoyne/alt-Pittsburgh isn't really visible on the map. Lastly, isn't the bit of SW Georgia a bit...big, considering they don't control LA west of the Atchafalaya River last time I checked? And my one bit about the USM, I think Belize ended up as split between Yucatan and super-Chiapas. Just a little constructive criticism, on the whole I really must commend your placement of Victoria and the internal borders of the USM :D.

Last edited:
I was about to comment on some of your notes, given how things have turned out to be not nearly as grim in North America by the '70s (at least, according to THIS little project...pay no attention to a little ex-island in Indonesia though), but then I noticed the timeframe of the map was still before the 1940s, so I'll sit down and shut my mouth :eek:. Overall, great job on this map, I've been waiting to see somebody talented make one with the updated/realistic borders outside the book itself!

EDIT: A-ha, I did have a couple of nits to pick with the CNA. First, isn't South Carolina still apart from North Carolina? Also, and maybe this is just the map scale, but Burgoyne/alt-Pittsburgh isn't really visible on the map. Lastly, isn't the bit of SW Georgia a bit...big, considering they don't control LA west of the Atchafalaya River last time I checked? And my one bit about the USM, I think Belize ended up as split between Yucatan and super-Chiapas. Just a little constructive criticism, on the whole I really must commend your placement of Victoria and the internal borders of the USM :D.

I've been trawling through everything I can find on the FANTL (I am also aware of the Asian-island-to-which-we-shall-refer-in-the-past-tense ;) and I'll include that in the follow-up I have planned), as you may have noticed from the redrawing of the northern Mexican states. Among other things it was stated that the CNA controlled New Orleans, though it wasn't shown any more specifically than as a vague area on the maps on that site. If I've been a bit imprecise, I'll correct that :eek: South Carolina was my bad, though; I was working from a blank basemap and never got round to that one. As for Belize that's never really referred to; at the least I can see the British clinging on for the advantage of a southern doorway - though it's also likely the USM seized it in the Rocky Mountain War.

And constructive comments are very much appreciated :)

I like it. What happened to the Niederhoffians in Russia?

Retconned that as being Niederhoffian revolts as the proximate spark of a broader nationalist revolution, rather than the vague statement I had before.

So I want to make map with POD that Johan Maurits retains control of Brazil

I also plan Preventing or at least delaying the first Anglo-Dutch war would also help Dutch because when the Dutch were distracted by it, the Portuguese managed to capture Brasil.

What shall change?

I imaginate that treaty with Portuguese shall be other than OTL Portuguese shall in Brazil cede all area North of river São Francisco to Netherlands, Loango-Angola and Timor then Netherlands shall return Brazil south of São Francisco to Portuguese

I imagine because of that in Alt Treaty of Madrid Portuguese was allowed to retain area west of Tordesillas but must limit themself to Parana and São Francisco Rivers to west and Iguazu river in South

While WIC and VOC were always different companies So I imaginate that this shall not hinder colonization of Indonesia.

But what other thing can this POD change?

I've been trawling through everything I can find on the FANTL (I am also aware of the Asian-island-to-which-we-shall-refer-in-the-past-tense ;) and I'll include that in the follow-up I have planned), as you may have noticed from the redrawing of the northern Mexican states. Among other things it was stated that the CNA controlled New Orleans, though it wasn't shown any more specifically than as a vague area on the maps on that site. If I've been a bit imprecise, I'll correct that :eek: South Carolina was my bad, though; I was working from a blank basemap and never got round to that one. As for Belize that's never really referred to; at the least I can see the British clinging on for the advantage of a southern doorway - though it's also likely the USM seized it in the Rocky Mountain War.

And constructive comments are very much appreciated :)

Oh cool, I look forward to that follow-up eagerly! And yeah, I noticed that about the northern states and the fact that certain countries in Asia are around (for the time being...), it shows that you've certainly seen some of the FAN-verse a time or two.

The bit about Belize belonging to Mexico I got from two sources; one from this map, the other to a reference in the "Call to Barms" chapter about Mexican troops catching an Army flight out of Belice City ("Belice" being the Spanish rendering of Belize, of course). I think they grabbed it in either the Rocky Mountain War, or in the Soconusco conflict with Guatemala (who's gone from Guatemala to Guate-peor...sorry, I just love that pun).

My understanding of New Orleans came from this map that I'm sure you've seen, which to me seems to indicate that the bit only directly south of NOLA is Toryland, the rest being part of Jefferson (your map makes it look like everything from OTL Alexandria to Vermillion Bay is Georgian). Then again, I could be wrong if anybody could correct me, I'm just one fallible reader with a bad habit of inference sans hard evidence. Again, all meant with the due respect, at least you've done the hard work of making a map at all :eek:.

Very nice, Tsar o' Sheepland. I see you stopped before the logistical nightmare which is the German advance in the bigass war. :) Was Russia already divided by the time war broke out in the book, or is that an innovation of yours?

OK, once again, this is a scenario and a cover of a map by Thande somewhat expanded on and modified by some ideas from Venusian Si.

(Original map here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=211602&postcount=402

In this world, WWII went differently due to a Fascist takeover in Sweden and a later entry of the US into the war. Churchill got his wish for a Balkan invasion, which as warned didn’t turn out too well. The USSR overran Scandinavia and met the Allies on the Rhine. Postwar the division of Europe was more north-south than OTL’s east-west. Sweden, Norway, Denmark, North Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, and Romania end up members of an alternate Warsaw pact while Finland is directly annexed into Russia. Allied Germany is for a while divided into a south German republic and a Rhinelands state, although eventually after much US coaxing the French allow the two democratic Germanies to unify (although they draw the line with Austria).

As a result of the much larger size of Red Germany relative to capitalist (pardon me, free : ) )Germany, there was no south-north union after the war as OTL, and indeed there was considerable delay in bringing North Germany into the European Union, due to weak democracy, the tendency of nationalist Northern politicians to talk of inevitable reunification in embarrassingly old-style blood and soil terms (“we can’t be fascists! They all fled to American, British and French territory”) and continued Southern fears that all 40-odd million northerners would move south and go on relief. Fortunately, things worked out in the end, and there is again talk of reunification, although most think another couple decades of economic convergence will be needed. (There is enough emigration from North to South that some joke that by that time the population of the North will consist entirely of over-70 Communist hardliners, and indeed the population of the south is now somewhat larger than the north).

The invasion of the Balkans left the Allies with the job of rebuilding Yugoslavia, and they did so fairly well in spite of some odd decisions, such as adding Bulgaria to the mix. (Some said to punish Reich-friendly Bulgaria, other that it was to balance out the popular Red Partisan vote with less radicalized Bulgarian peasants). In the end, in spite of various hiccups, the complicatedly (and getting more complex with time) federated Yugoslav state has survived to the present day (2017). Some see it as a positive model for a more closely unified future EU: other see it as a warning as to why such a unified EU shold be avoided.

In East Asia, a slower start to the Manhattan project means the war in the east goes on a bit longer, the Soviets take all of Korea as fighting drags on, but Chiang manages to do better in the subsequent civil war with a lot more US equipment handy. Mao’s Reds end up a Soviet-protected rump state in Manchuria and some bits of north China proper, which leads to a serious falling out between ROC China and the USSR, which therefore feels no regrets about annexing east Turkestan/Xinjiang and establishing influence in Tibet.

Butterflies lead to the Indian Nationalist Congress taking a less communalist and more secular-leftist turn in the 1930s, which allows for compromises with Jinnah’s Muslim followers. India will stay united, if a bit more decentralized than OTL, and the snappily dressed Muslim politician will be India’s first prime minister (already dying of cancer, he won’t last long). A more left-leaning India will be wooed by the Soviet Union, and will be considered a Soviet ally for much of the cold war, although no actually military alliance will take place (not that this prevents US military planners from constructing scenarios on how to turn India into radioactive paste). Burma, ethnically and culturally alien to the subcontinent, is initially part of the union, but will later revolt against New Delhi rule.

With Chinese indifference on their side, the French manage to eventually crush the Communist rebellion, but are unable to reestablish a stable colonial regime in the long run, and eventually “declare victory and flee”, leaving behind a Federation of Indochina whose at least weakly pro-French government will not last five years. On the plus side, Indochina misses out on Pol Pot and two more decades of war: on the down side, leaving Indochina as a political unit means the Vietnamese inevitably dominate, and suppression of Cambodian separatists has left the country with a civil rights reputation as bad or worse than OTL’s Burma/Myanmar. (A merely moderately unpleasant one-party state in this TL).

The US has a somewhat less strenuous Cold War with no Korean or Vietnam war, although the European border it must guard is much longer than OTL. (Given geographical similarities, Roman Empire analogies tend to show up a lot in this world’s Cold War literature). Prosperity, the threat of nuclear annihilation, small wars in Africa and Latin America and the rise of minority civil rights and women’s lib give rise to a counterculture of sorts in spite of the lack of ‘nam, although it has less of a radical edge and more of a folksy, embrace-the-earth air to it (noting all those young people tramping about the countryside, the finger-wagging crowd mutters darkly about peregrinating young Germans in the 1920s). Drugs are used, of course.

The US remained closely invested in East Asian affairs, and post-war gave various special economic and trade rights to its various allies and protectorates in the east, which when combined with an early move to NAFTA –type free trade in North America developed into the North America-Pacific Free Trade Union. (Expansion southwards has been hampered by Brazilian/Argentine hostility: Latin American “third way”-ism remains a strong force, combined with “Bolivarist” anti-American populism familiar to any observed of Venezuela OTL. (The third world/unaligned movement was somewhat more extensive than OTL, with more of the Third World remaining neutral during the Cold War.)

ROC China grows its economy, although somewhat starved for industrial resources thanks to territorial losses and hampered initially by Guomindang corruption and paranoia about “comprador capitalism,” while the Manchurian Reds create a highly industrialized crapsack economy. By the 2010s, it will be running at least a decade ahead of OTL China in terms of development, more urbanized, more populous, and even more polluted (the neighbors tend to complain). Japan, which misses the economic influx from the Korean and Vietnamese wars, is somewhat poorer than OTL, but didn’t crash as hard economically either, and has somewhat more diverse politics.

India’s more decentralized nature makes up somewhat for leftier economics (more big steel and concrete things!), allowing some of the states to follow a more profit-oriented path, although overall results by the 1980s were not much of an improvement from OTL, which combined with a clearly malfunctioning soviet economy and Chinese success with a more capitalist approach, as OTL led to pro-markets reforms.

While the Communist block was smaller than OTL, it was also more cohesive and remained firmly under Soviet leadership.The Soviets, mostly shut out of continental East Asia, concentrate efforts elsewhere, with varying levels of success. There was rather more Red on maps of The Matter of Africa, and a successful Communist coup in Indonesia, while things were pushed beyond the breaking point in South Africa (Nelson Mandela and de Klerk’s careers were derailed by butterflies); the fallout is ongoing in various parts of the world, and such efforts probably did not benefit anyone but weapons contractors. If the US and allies were geographically stretched in Europe, so were the Soviets: the Second German Uprising of ‘76 nearly wrecked the *Warsaw pact when the Poles decided to join in the fun.

There was a Space Race as OTL, which again stalled out with Moon landings. As OTL, manned trips to Mars are endlessly debated while robots fly and crawl all over the solar system. The US, Russia and the EU have space stations, and China is building one.

Arab Ba’athism did better than Egyptian lite socialism in this world, and unified successfully Iraq and Syria: thanks to an alliance with the USSR and more calculating leadership, the Arab Union has managed a series of successes on the military and political front, although their last clash with Israel was a tie at best. Since their development of an atomic weapon in the late 90s, the Union has found itself essentially encircled by hostile nations and in an atomic arms race with Israel (which has openly declared its nuclear capacities and has nuclear missile subs in the Red Sea right now). This breeds paranoia, and people worry about who will replace the current aging Supreme Leader (a bit less awful than OTLs Saddam, and with a rather more impressive mustache). It is also currently involved in a bit of a spitting match with India, whose Muslims apparently believe that since India is the largest Muslim nation on earth, other Islamic nations should defer to their political opinions. (They have not been pleased by Iraqi descriptions of them as “stooges of the Polytheists”).

Africa is in some ways even more screwed up than OTL, although there are some bright spots, and as OTL the worst era of crazy dictators, communist paradises, and national subdivision by warlord seems to be over. Somalia as OTL ended cracking up, but at least they managed to salvage a working state in the north. The Zulu managed to make it as an independent nation in the breakup of South Africa, and have a functional economy by third-world standards (tourists should be warned they’re really big on Shaka, and it’s hard to get out of the country without buying a load of Shaka-related tourist crap).

The Soviet Union tried to reform its economy as limits to growth loomed in the late 70s, but things ended turning into a sort of war of attrition between the cozily corrupt managerial class and the reformers, in which the old proverb “Russia must stay frozen to survive” was seemingly proven as the whole economic system essentially seized up. Things by the mid-80s reached the “police shooting people rioting over bread” stage, and in 1987 the Soviet regime essentially collapsed. There was no Yeltsin waiting in the wings to run off with Russia, and former Party heads hastily rebranding themselves as nationalist politicians had rather different notions as to where the bounds of the post-Soviet state were to be established. While Eastern Europe went its own way, with no Gorbachev-type previous democratization and no Yugoslav bad example to avoid, things got rather hairy till ‘92, and several small but bloody wars were fought, with the occasional spot of ethnic cleansing. A Ukrainian nationalist seizure of nuclear assets was narrowly avoided, and “Red-Brown” Russian leaders snagged territory from the Ukraine and Kazakhstan, and attempted to reestablish authority in the trans-Causcus and the Baltic region, with varying levels of success. The experience was bloody enough, and the economic collapse (in this world blamed on the civil war(s) ) shattering enough to bring a later reaction: Russia in 2017 is moving to divest itself of some border territories, and under a more-or-less democratic government is trying to patch up its shaky relationship with Europe.

There was no plausible cause like OTL’s “Star Wars” program for the economic disaster, which combined with the fact that a Democrat was in office 1981-1988 made it harder to spin the end of the Soviet Union as a triumph for the Republican party. Combined with a US right a bit less crazed by the 60s than OTL, and by 2017 one has a US perceptibly to the left of OTL, although still “right wing” in many ways by EU standards. The paranoid style, alas, still flourishes in American politics, although the targets are a bit different . A court case is currently going on in Texas as to whether shoulder-carried missile launchers are a legitimate form of home defense.

With trade and other support from the USSR temporarily suspended, Manchurian Red China also economically collapsed, and was absorbed by ROC China, which almost choked on the costs of bringing the industrial hellscape of the North up to spec. The Red regime in Tibet, which had been a Soviet puppet from the start, fell apart, and the Dalai Lama returned from exile in 1997. (The Socialist Republic of Tibet had been no friendlier to Buddhist God-Kings than the OTL PRC).

In 2017, the world is generally at peace. India is somewhat and China is significantly richer than OTL (and a lot freer), the US is less politically at odds with itself, and the global economy is currently ticking along nicely. Without the disasters of Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria Islamic fundamentalism remains weak compared to Arab secular nationalism (although the Islamic parties ended up taking over Egypt), and Islamic terrorism is only a small dark cloud on the horizon for most countries. Indonesia, some part of Africa and southern Korea are worse off than OTL, but overall the situation is comparable or better. The one really troublesome bit is the Israeli-Arab confrontation, which remains, rather more than OTL, an existential conflict, and the US, Russia, the EU, and China are all putting increasing pressure on both sides to end their arms race…

Bruce

Very nice, Tsar o' Sheepland. I see you stopped before the logistical nightmare which is the German advance in the bigass war. :) Was Russia already divided by the time war broke out in the book, or is that an innovation of yours?

It's a headscratcher alright, also the reason my follow-up is planned for well after that war :p As for Russia, it broke up in the early 1900s.

I also looked at the map before I read that it was the follow-up; honestly took me longer than it should have to realise I hadn't somehow posted on an old page or that you hadn't somehow managed to crank out two detailed-as maps in as many days :facepalm:

Faeelin

Banned
Indonesia, some part of Africa and southern Korea are worse off than OTL, but overall the situation is comparable or better. The one really troublesome bit is the Israeli-Arab confrontation, which remains, rather more than OTL, an existential conflict, and the US, Russia, the EU, and China are all putting increasing pressure on both sides to end their arms race…

A happier than OTL map from you?

Transleithania!

Hello, hello, hello. This took FOREVER.
TRANSLEITHANIA: Let me hit you with some Info

The Triune Kingdom of Hungary, Slavonia, and Dalmatia

After the 1849 revolution the victorious Hungaro-Slavic armies banded together at Posznoy to discuss the future of their nation. An agreement had come to create a Constitutional Monarchy and a Union of their peoples. In the Treaty of Limberg (Lviv) a 5 nation pact was signed ushering in the Era of the Two Leithanias. Cisleithania, the ruinous state of Austria, Bohemia, and Galicia. Transleithania, a glorious monument towards the pursuit of liberty.

transleithania_by_zalezsky-d8pwc47.png

transleithania_by_zalezsky-d8pwc47.png

Last edited:
That's not Dalmatia, but the area which would have been referred to as 'Croatia' or 'Croatia Proper'.

Dalmatia is the bit which was in Cisleithania.

Dirk

Banned
That's not Dalmatia, but the area which would have been referred to as 'Croatia' or 'Croatia Proper'.

Dalmatia is the bit which was in Cisleithania.

More like the part that's in the Ottoman Empire. No way Zagreb would be in Dalmatia if Slavonia exists, it's like Berlin being in Bavaria when Brandenburg exists. There are rad mountains cleaving the map's Dalmatia right in two. I don't know if I would even include most of Lika in Dalmatia.

More like the part that's in the Ottoman Empire. No way Zagreb would be in Dalmatia if Slavonia exists, it's like Berlin being in Bavaria when Brandenburg exists. There are rad mountains cleaving the map's Dalmatia right in two. I don't know if I would even include most of Lika in Dalmatia.
Except the issue here is that the geographical area in question can in no way, shape or form be called Dalmatia. That's like calling East Prussia "Brandenburg". That area was part of the Klis Sandzak in Ottoman times and before that the province of Croatia, today the central Croatian region.

Status
Not open for further replies.