Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been wanting to do more with this idea, but I can't really do it as much as I try.

Here we have one of the longest serving Presidents of the Senate, 7445 days, over 20 years, a man who held the office in 5 separate decades, Henry Clay himself.
This makes him not only a senator but President of the Senate aged 23. Article 1 Clause 3 is waved away?

:eek:

That would make him which presidents, like second, fifth, etc?

The idea was kind of like the European Prime Minister's who would occupy the office for a few days before having another one installed by a King. The issue here is America is a Republic and the Senate is a fairly equal system (well among themselves they are equal). So I just decided on adapting the office like the Speakership: before Clay it was just a rules decider and not that prominent, but with him it became essentially the "Party Leader" position of the upper chamber. The only reason it exists is because the Vice-Presidency doesn't (that's our POD).

His first term came after Adams was elected President and the Chamber now had a slight Republican majority (literally one seat until Adam's replacement was found and it tied again). It ended when he resigned to take another office as legal council to Jefferson for treason. Jefferson narrowly escaped punishment, but was politically crippled in the result.

Clay's second term came as a result of the disastrous French War (1811-1814). While popular among the Federalists, many American's were angry, even after winning French territories, that we betrayed our former allies to help Great Britain. The fact France started the war by demanding America help, or be invaded, wasn't known for many years afterwards. Clay was elected with the help of the "National" Republicans (as opposed to John Randolph's loyal sect of "True" Republicans) and the Federalist minority. His 9 year tenure was the longest up until then. The slow but inevitable merger of the two cemented Clay's power over the Senate until the 20's, when his reign started to weaken.

By the 1830's a rival organization set up, the Workingmen-Republican alliance cemented themselves into a coherent opposition to Clay's regime. While some were unsure of allowing the "Dictator" to return to power, they decided he was better then their ineffectual replacements. 6 years this time before, in a surprise move, Clay retired home. His retirement was one of the main demands of the Anti-Mason party, now capable of swinging control of the upper house. Despite this, the Anti-Mason's sided with Cass and elected him President. This enraged the National Republican forces, and they sought allies elsewhere.

Clay's fourth, and briefest, tenure came in the form of the "Native American Party", and anti-immigrant party devoted to the principles of Americanism and Protestantism in governance. They secured a one seat majority for a time, but after the resignation of two party meant Cass could maneuver another election for Senate President, which he won. After this Clay decided to retire from the Senate completely. He'd been serving consecutively for several decades, and needed to rest. His northern ally Webster was to take the leader of the Whigs, now another merger of parties.

After Cass was thrown out, Webster was elected in his place. To the surprise of many Webster was hospitalized and Clay rushed to see his old friend. He arrived too late, Webster being the first Senate President to die in office. The Senate adjourned in his absence. Despite being old and near death himself, Kentucky Whigs persuaded Clay to return to both the Senate and it's Presidency, citing him as the only man strong enough to do that and lead the Whigs. Clay remained in his position until his own death in the 50's.
---
Very rough idea, and I'm only putting this down before I forget.

This makes him not only a senator but President of the Senate aged 23. Article 1 Clause 3 is waved away?

With the changes to the Executive Branch (ie no VP) there are also minor changes elsewhere. Figuring no good legislature would elect a man of bad standing or inability to hold office, the Senate lacks the requirements the House and Presidency have. This was a bad idea, as many young men, either sons of former senators of rich businessmen, were send as young inexperienced pawns. It was one of the main reason's why the Senate was so crippled by the 29th Amendment in 1888.

You know, I'm really tired. So, I read Briles' sheet and thought it said proponent of aboriginal rights. I could vote for her! Then I reread it. :eek:

So, what are the big reasons people in AJND have against giving aboriginals (that's your term for aliens, right?) rights in the US? I'm curious as to what bullshit they can spout.

Probably not being Human is a major one.

There's also some pretty abhorrent cultural practices going on, too. On Xanadu, for example, before the introduction of Equalis, entire centaur societies were essentially based around sexual slavery.

Yeah, it's because they're not human. Humans (at least in the predominent Columbianist racial theory) are superior because they're found all over the solar system and can thrive anywhere and in any environment. Aliens are inferior in many aspects and many times have brutal and savage cultures that don't jive well with American culture. The only truly accepted exception are the orcs, who are considered honorary humans because they're as common and ubiquitous as humans--and are quite willing to fight and die for America. The other exception are the Ionian xtlil who were co-belligerents in the Ionian Mutiny against the mutineers--but only because they were frequent targets of the mutineers.

The Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission is dedicated to preserving, protecting, and defending the rights of the State of Mississippi, as a legitimate, democratic entity, against any and all encroachments, foreign and domestic, while offering to the United States, and to the world at large, a true and honest representation of the benefits of the social harmony present in Mississippi.

There is so much euphamistic double-talk going on here that I'm scared and I'm not sure why.

Jcw3

Banned
Do you have a full list of all alien species in AJND that are sapient/sentient? I'd love to see it. Also, tsukagi aren't on that list of exceptions?

Aren't those in the Inner System (like the Drazani and Nagina) considered human (at least in the US) because their natives lands were colonized before Columbianist racial theory took root?

Do you have a full list of all alien species in AJND that are sapient/sentient? I'd love to see it. Also, tsukagi aren't on that list of exceptions?

I can get that list to you eventually.

Aren't those in the Inner System (like the Drazani and Nagina) considered human (at least in the US) because their natives lands were colonized before Columbianist racial theory took root?

Not that their considered human, just that they're not as actively oppressed or genocided.

I guess the Henry Clay Senate President thing isn't exactly interesting. Like I said it's just a really rough draft, as is everything I put here. So here's another one!

attachment.php

Basically, the idea is that each US minority would have some kind of leader to represent their interests, like W.E.B. Bois for the American Negro, Marcantonio is just another test run to gauge opinions and such. It's not really a government thing, more of a private association that works in tandem with government leaders, kind of like lobbying but sort of diffrent from it.

Hmm... You know, you could develop that further, have government be defined by ethnicity, have Congress have ethnicity-based seats, etc.

You could even have ethnicity-based "states" and remove the concept of real states altogether.

Hmm... You know, you could develop that further, have government be defined by ethnicity, have Congress have ethnicity-based seats, etc.

You could even have ethnicity-based "states" and remove the concept of real states altogether.

That might work in some states, for one Maine has 3 non-voting seats in their House of Representatives reserved for 3 diffrent native communities, but I don't know if that could work nationwide. For one I don't see it being constitutional, and for another I don't see much of a way to get it into a Constitution. In New York I could definitely see it tried in some way...Hmmm....more ideas.

AJND US actually seems the be a combination of Gaullist (1950-1960s) France and Nazi Germany. Gaullist France due to the mix of capitalism and economic planning and the liberal-ish democracy, and Nazi Germany due to the systematic racism and genocide, except for those brutal enough (Orcs and the Croats, anyone?). Aggressive American expansionism also seems Nazi-esque, and the Minutemen and the heavy influence of Columbianism draws eerie comparisons with the SS and the heavy influence of Himmler's Neopaganism.

AJND US actually seems the be a combination of Gaullist (1950-1960s) France and Nazi Germany. Gaullist France due to the mix of capitalism and economic planning and the liberal-ish democracy, and Nazi Germany due to the systematic racism and genocide, except for those brutal enough (Orcs and the Croats, anyone?). Aggressive American expansionism also seems Nazi-esque, and the Minutemen and the heavy influence of Columbianism draws eerie comparisons with the SS and the heavy influence of Himmler's Neopaganism.
5rxcOCt.jpg

I appreciate your views and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

RogueBeaver, is there a unified timeline for these or just for funsies.

You might very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment.

Following on from this infobox for the Late War version of World War One, I present to you all the ungodly slog known only as World War Two. I won't go into to much detail right now (I'll save it for when I actually start writing up a proper timeline), but needless to say this is above and beyond the largest, most deadly, and far-reaching war in human history. With death rates commonly projected to reach over 100 million in some cases, this second global war was by far the longest conventional war of the 20th century and affected pretty much every person on the planet at the time, with civilians and soldiers growing up during the eight year conflict as new technologies (particularly jet fighters, electronic computers, and nuclear weapons) made their début. By the end of the war in 1956, half of the world had found itself touched by the conflict, some of the worst affected places (especially the eleven cities wiped off the face of the Earth by atomic fire) being rendered unrecognisable.

c0sHUiw.png

Amanda Culberson is the longest serving and one of the most powerful Speakers in American history, having served as Speaker for 18 years at the beginning of the 174th United States Congress in 2135. She rose through the ranks of the Democratic House leadership. While serving as the Majority Whip on the House Transportation Committee, she gained a reputation as a hard-nosed, uncompromising leader--something that the Committee sorely needed during the tumultuous early years of the 22nd century as House Democrats found it hard to unify to pass new transportation bills. After her selection as Speaker, he ditched the party's self-imposed 3-term leadership limit and wound up as Chair of the House Rules Committee. She wields significant power in her position, controlling committee positions, chairmanships and which bills appear before the committees. Originally a farmer, Culberson is a neo-Jeffersonian agrarian, stressing the importance of American agriculture and minimal government interference, instead shifting most of that onto the union and sequences.

Herschel James was an interesting choice for the House Minority Leader, though a necessary one. When previous leader James Emerson went down in a corruption scandal in late 2129, the House Republicans looked for someone who was squeaky clean and could provide honest, open governance. James fit that bill. He had first been elected to the Mosquito State Assembly on an anti-corruption platform and later served as the Chair of the Clean Government Committee. He used his position as the Chair of the NRCC and later the Minority Whip of the House Rules Committee to ferret out and punish potentially-corrupt Republicans. However, many Republican leaders see his anti-corruption stances as harmful since it weakens their own machines and funding sources. James is otherwise politically uninteresting, being vaguely supportive of civil rights (though cautious of the civil rights movement) and opposed to unions.

y0O2Wll.png

Last edited:
Very interesting concepts with the Congressional leaders: I'm guessing the House is a much more interesting place to be OTL.

Two Questions:
1. What's Martian Baptism?
2. How much time do the Offworld Congresspeople (and Senators) spend in their constituencies?
3. Did Herscel James really get married aged 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.