沒有國民黨就沒有中國, Without the Kuomintang there would be no China, A Republic of China Story

Yeah I could see the JSP having a much more fertile soil to plant in without OTL’s rapid recovery and the CCP threat next door
Unfortunately, I think Yoshio Kodama and his fellow rightists are going all "See, Japan IS becoming more communist! That is why the right and the yakuza should unite and bring honor back to Japan!"

(No joke, they actually believed that and wanted to unite the yakuza into one powerful anti-communist league. That was after they realized a pan-Asian league was too much.)

Unfortunately, I think Yoshio Kodama and his fellow rightists are going all "See, Japan IS becoming more communist! That is why the right and the yakuza should unite and bring honor back to Japan!"

(No joke, they actually believed that and wanted to unite the yakuza into one powerful anti-communist league. That was after they realized a pan-Asian league was too much.)
Japanese politics being more like OTL Cold War Italy's, anyone?

Japanese politics being more like OTL Cold War Italy's, anyone?
Oh God. If that means the yakuza are going to war against say, a larger United Red Army, I'm not too sure if I want to see the inevitable Toei movie adaptation...

(Could be a fun spin-off for this timeline though!)

Last edited:

Windows95

Banned
Oh God. If that means the yakuza are going to war against say, a larger United Red Army, I'm not too sure if I want to see the inevitable Toei movie adaptation...

(Could be a fun spin-off for this timeline though!)
And we have monopolies/Keiretsus/conglomerates funding the Yakuza and anti-Communists, and private mercenaries with advanced technology.

Ah, great! I recommend this book if you get around to it.

The sad fact is though, a good number of books about the yakuza are only in Japanese. There is this informative series on the United Red Army however! Whatever happens, there's gonna be a lot of blood on the streets... and God help Japan if either side say, gets their hands on military-grade weaponry... (which, by the way, yes, the yakuza really were gunning for)
Interesting stuff… the long range goal in that TL is to replace Mexican cartels with the (IMO) more interesting Asian org crime like yakuza and the Triads do this is a great resource 🙂

It just seems reasonable that if American culture has evolved more-or-less the same as OTL, and there’s no reason why it wouldn’t have, a Chinese businessman would look upon the success of the growing Disney theme park empire and think “I can do that too!”.

On a related note, what’s the state of China’s answer to Hollywood? Are there any studios working in the field of animation or is China still mostly importing Disney films?
American culture is largely similar to OTL, the major divergences aren't going to take place until c. 1968 as there's no Vietnam War and no hippies. China has a modest film industry, including animation.
As I understand it, Shanghai was the birthplace of Chinese animation in the early 20th century. Without the Communist victory in the civil war it stands to reason that animated films are developed further in China.
Be interesting if donghua (Chinese animation) takes the place of anime ITTL.
I am going to need to brush up on my knowledge of both Chinese and Japanese animation.

I can't wait to get to the 1980s because that's when I have a lot of stuff planned for Chinese cinema, music, and even video games.
I doubt there's much of a race- without becoming America's bastion in Asia and the rapid reindustrialisation of the early fifties, Japan is going to be a much, much smaller economy than OTL.
Japan certainly isn't looking as good as in OTL, but I wouldn't count out the land of the rising sun just yet. While it doesn't receive as much US assistance as OTL, it still receives some, and will receive some more as the Cold War heats up a little bit during the 1960s. China, outside of some districts of Nanjing, Shanghai, Canton, and Beiping (Beijing), is still a very poor country that has much more limited freedom of expression than Japan.

Japan might be in the next update. I currently have parts of three different updates written. One is on Sino-Japanese relations, one is on Chinese propaganda, and another is on life in Western China (Uighurs, Tibetans, etc.).

Hello,

American culture is largely similar to OTL, the major divergences aren't going to take place until c. 1968 as there's no Vietnam War and no hippies. China has a modest film industry, including animation.
I have a minor interest in one development of Chinese cinema...
It's likely this type of cinema will develop here in the same way it did OTL, though I am interested in hearing of any divergences.

What about the development of Chinese science-fiction, what will happen to Chinese science-fiction, if there's any?
We're already seeing some form of Chinese sci-fi today (especially based on their folk tales, as CountDVB suggested), so it wouldn't be out of place for it to exist in the 1970s or 1980s. Whether they will create a franchise on the scale of Doctor Who or Star Trek is entirely unknown to me.

Last edited:
We're already seeing some form of Chinese sci-fi today (especially based on their folk tales, as CountDVB suggested), so it wouldn't be out of place for it to exist in the 1970s or 1980s. Whether they will create a franchise on the scale of Doctor Who or Star Trek is entirely unknown to me.
One idea could be "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" as a space opera

I’d argue that a China engaged with the world (and one that is relatively open especially compared to OTL) would have at least some international cultural exports. At first it’ll be to the large overseas chinese communities in SE Asia, but I’d expect that to ramp up once the Chinese economy recovers from a decades long civil war and foreign invasion.

Could Chinese cultural exports flop? Maybe, but the path that OTL Japan used and Korea improved means that it’s at least a possibility.