沒有國民黨就沒有中國, Without the Kuomintang there would be no China, A Republic of China Story

It’s kinda arguable if it would, though. Industrialization in OTL was driven in large part by an influx of foreign capital, as well as favorable international trade policies.

The foreign capital isn’t a problem for the reasons you’d expect (the Americans/west won’t invest), but because most of the initial foreign capital OTL actually came from overseas Chinese communities in Hong Kong, Taiwan and SE Asia. These are all significantly poorer during the 1950s than the 90s, so scrounging up capital’s gonna be a pain.

Trade policy is also gonna be problematic, because the policies prioritizing export-driven growth that characterized Asian Tiger growth OTL only began in the 1970s.

Before that developing countries adopted Import Substitution, which almost never worked (it relied on the government having perfect information and acting rationally, neither of which is guaranteed).
^India’s fucked up economy isn’t all because of misguided ISI policies, but I’d argue it played a considerable role.

The “good” in this equation would be that China’s proximity to S. Korea and Japan mean that they’ll be able to adopt export driven growth earlier after seeing it succeed next door, but that’s a 70s thing. It’s entirely plausible for the KMT to decide to double down on ISI between the 50s and 60s.
Yeah, I can’t really see this China taking off until the next 1970s, but from a much, MUCH higher baseline than OTL’s PRC. Chiang was an economic nationalist and dirigist too, and those policies can cut both ways depending on how they’re structured

Hello,

Perhaps there is an idea to take a thorough look at what China has in industrial capabilities and what natural resources can be incorporated into its economic development at this point in time. Planning for the future of China has to take those items into account.

All caught up! Eagerly watched. As much as I love “North Star is Red” I’ve always wanted a detailed, well-built “KMT Victory” that explores its numerous knock on effects without devolving into the usual “it’s either a superpower by 1980 because OTL Taiwan” or “corrupt hellhole” tropes and I think you’re doing a superb job so far

Hello,

Perhaps there is an idea to take a thorough look at what China has in industrial capabilities and what natural resources can be incorporated into its economic development at this point in time. Planning for the future of China has to take those items into account.
Natural resources are a large part of the Chinese economy (mining is important), and the economy of China will definitely be discussed.
All caught up! Eagerly watched. As much as I love “North Star is Red” I’ve always wanted a detailed, well-built “KMT Victory” that explores its numerous knock on effects without devolving into the usual “it’s either a superpower by 1980 because OTL Taiwan” or “corrupt hellhole” tropes and I think you’re doing a superb job so far
Thank you!

Chinese Weapons and Military Vehicles, 1940s and 1950s
Tanks and armored vehicles:
-M3A3 and M5A1 Stuart, M10 GMC, M4A4 Sherman, LVT-(A) given by the Americans, the M4A4 Sherman was sometimes modified to make the Gongchen Tank
-Chi-Ha, Ha-Go, TK, So-Ki, and So-Mo captured by the Japanese
-Soviet tanks (including the T-34) given to the Communists and then captured by the Nationalists
-Chinese Armored Cars include the American M3A1 Scout Car and various Soviet BA models given to China during WWII.

Guns:
-The Mauser 1933 is the most common rifle.
-The 1935 model Maxim is still the most common machine gun, and it is produced in China along with the MG Browning.

Planes:
-The most famous locally-produced planes are the AFAMF Chu X-PO Gloster CXP-1001 fighters.
-China has been buying B-17 Flying Fortresses as the model has been discontinued in the United States.

Last edited:
Natural resources are a large part of the Chinese economy (mining is important), and the economy of China will definitely be discussed.
I think that the petroleum and gas sectors would be significantly greater than in OTL for the simple fact that Western tech and money could be used in their extraction.
Tanks and armored vehicles:
-M3A3 and M5A1 Stuart, M10 GMC, M4A4 Sherman, LVT-(A) given by the Americans, the M4A4 Sherman was sometimes modified to make the Gongchen Tank
-Chi-Ha, Ha-Go, TK, So-Ki, and So-Mo captured by the Japanese
-Soviet tanks (including the T-34) given to the Communists and then captured by the Nationalists
-Chinese Armored Cars include the American M3A1 Scout Car and various Soviet BA models given to China during WWII.

Guns:
-The Mauser 1933 is the most common rifle.
-The 1935 model Maxim is still the most common machine gun, and it is produced in China along with the MG Browning.

Planes:
-The most famous locally-produced planes are the AFAMF Chu X-PO Gloster CXP-1001 fighters.
-China has been buying B-17 Flying Fortresses as the model has been discontinued in the United States.
Also what about the Navy?

Last edited:
dc5jox0-b2317120-3b66-49df-97f0-979df677e179 (1).png

TTL 1955 Map

P.S. I assumed that North Korea remained a Soviet Satellite state due to their more isolated position and for the fact that no Korean War has taken place.
Edit: correction to ROC claims on Mongolia and Tannu Tuva

Last edited:
Looks like the only significant border changes from OTL are the Soviet puppet state in OTL NW China, the interkorea border staying at 38 degrees and of course Taiwan being part of the same country as the mainland.

I presume that Taiwan is a *relatively* ignored part of the ROC at this time? Also, any significant changes for Hong Kong/Macau?

That said, would the ROC design and adopt similar weapons like OTL creating and issuing American-style weapons? The ROC in Taiwan did use weapons similar to the M14 and the M16 (Although, to be fair the ROC was in Taiwan and relied on American assistance to ward off the PRC).

TTL 1955 Map

P.S. I assumed that North Korea remained a Soviet Satellite state due to their more isolated position and for the fact that no Korean War has taken place.
You are correct. Thank you very much for making the map, though China has renounced all claims to Mongolia and Tannu Tuva (It did this after WWII OTL, and then later went back on its recognition of Mongolia after the retreat to Taiwan).
Looks like the only significant border changes from OTL are the Soviet puppet state in OTL NW China, the interkorea border staying at 38 degrees and of course Taiwan being part of the same country as the mainland.

I presume that Taiwan is a *relatively* ignored part of the ROC at this time? Also, any significant changes for Hong Kong/Macau?
Taiwan is relatively ignored, though they do build ships there.
That said, would the ROC design and adopt similar weapons like OTL creating and issuing American-style weapons? The ROC in Taiwan did use weapons similar to the M14 and the M16 (Although, to be fair the ROC was in Taiwan and relied on American assistance to ward off the PRC).
Something similar will happen TTL.

You are correct. Thank you very much for making the map, though China has renounced all claims to Mongolia and Tannu Tuva (It did this after WWII OTL, and then later went back on its recognition of Mongolia after the retreat to Taiwan).

Taiwan is relatively ignored, though they do build ships there.

Something similar will happen TTL.
Where is the ROC navy based out of?

It will be interesting to see whether Taiwan will remain as a "link" to Japan given the number of Taiwan residents who speak Japanese fluently. I presume that the Kinmen Islands, the Matsu Islands and the Wuqiu Islands will stay with Fujian province and likely be unimportant iTTL.

The Taiwanese Indigenous population may be *slightly* better off iTTL, but I'm not sure. I doubt that Taiwan's population will increase as much as it did iOTL, but there will still be the natural split between the Eastern Mountains and the western/central plains.

(I spent the last two years of High School in Taipei, Taiwan)