八紘一宇 - Hakkō Ichiu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Related, but not entirely; does anybody have any idea on where I can find population figures for each island of the Philippines prior to Japanese occupation? I'm looking but I can only find a lump sum of people for the entirety of the country in 1939, which is around 16 million. I'm looking because I want to see how the three Philippine regions (Luzon, Mindanao, and Visayas) would rank amongst the US states in the 1940s in terms of Representatives/Electoral College pull.

It looks like Luzon is going to be the California of the bunch, with a lot of people on it.
Some could just immigrate to Mindanao, if peaceful and conservative enough of a state. Otherwise, its your naturally richer version of Northern Ireland.

Asami

Banned
Some could just immigrate to Mindanao, if peaceful and conservative enough of a state. Otherwise, its your naturally richer version of Northern Ireland.

Well, slightly spoilery, but I've determined a 'general thumb' for Luzon, Mindanao and Visayas for 1948.

Luzon:
49th state admitted to Union (Philippine Islands Statehood Act)
Population: 8,470,118 (3rd largest state)
Electoral Votes in 1948: 26 (24 Reps + 2 Senators)
Sits between Pennsylvania (2nd largest) and Illinois (4th largest)

Mindanao:
50th state admitted to Union (Philippine Islands Statehood Act)
Population: 5,114,370 (9th largest state)
Electoral Votes in 1948: 16 (14 Reps + 2 Senators)
Sits between Michigan (8th largest) and [REDACTED] (10th largest)

Visayas:
51st state admitted to Union (Philippine Islands Statehood Act)
Population: 2,415,815 (24th largest state)
Electoral Votes in 1948: 9 (7 Reps + 2 Senators)
Sits between Iowa (23rd largest) and Louisiana (25th largest)

Last edited:

Asami

Banned
Also, DESTINY MADE MANIFEST is the victor of our chapter poll! You'll enjoy the delightfully mental stuff that will be going on. ;)

Asami

Banned
Hmm... long-term, should the US keep the 435 seat cap they imposed on the House of Representatives as OTL, or should I introduce a different larger figure?

I was thinking an even number like 435, like maybe 501 or 515. Just for the sake of... more seats for the larger # of states?

Asami

Banned
But... but... Philippines is already settled! We don't need those foreinjers!

Actually, I wasn't referring to the Philippines, who has a bright future as a tourist state and commercial outpost to Japan's sphere of influence.

I meant =REDACTED= and -REDACTED-.

Hmm... long-term, should the US keep the 435 seat cap they imposed on the House of Representatives as OTL, or should I introduce a different larger figure?

I was thinking an even number like 435, like maybe 501 or 515. Just for the sake of... more seats for the larger # of states?
I would say 555 just for the sheer mentality of the numbers XD.

Asami

Banned

"How many electoral votes is needed to reach an electoral majority in the Electoral College?"
A: 333 electoral votes of 665.

But c'hknow what mang, 555 Representatives and 110 Senators isn't that bad. It's still less than the House of Commons + House of Lords.

I could go China-level insanity, and have upwards of 3,000 Representatives. that'd be insane

555, very funny.

Anyways, with those new dealers having a majority, I think they could do that easily.

However, I am interested with the local power dynamics that will be here in the Philippines. As per OTL, we have several provinces often dominated by a political family. The lower class s often seen as meek and foolish by the higher ups, and the elections all about the popularity of a politician. Parties are jokes used to set up machinery, with most of them largest ones not differing much in ideology.

In all fairness, due to its sheer distance from the mainland, I could still see a culture far removed from the American mainstream. Just like how America have Hollywood, we have [REDACTED], and if America have all those B-movies, we have those teledramas and alt-Enteng Kabisote!

Heck, the neighbouring countries can still consider those states as distinct from America!

Philippines divided as US states? The nationalists will go nuts over this.

Some ideas:

1. Due to the sheer proximity of Philippines from America, can't we create a parallel government concerning these three states?

2. The identity of these three states will be far removed from each other anyways. I could see Visayas as easily the most Pro-American.

3. Which could mean different nationalist groups; one Pan-Philippine and three for the individual independence movements, although you can say that at this point of OTL, Mindanao's pretty much "Bisaya".

Status
Not open for further replies.