八紘一宇 - Hakkō Ichiu

Status
Not open for further replies.
IT LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVES!

Ahem...wonderful update, Asami! Personally I have no problems with Japan leading the way in LGBT rights, because as others have pointed out, Japan had no problems with LGBT people before the Restoration, and indeed, the Restoration's adoption of western attitudes towards LGBT people was controversial at the time. I don't particularly see any reason why they wouldn't fully reverse course on the matter. And it's not like western attitudes towards LGBT people were uniform: Germany already has LGBT rights after all.

Ditto for women serving in the military. The idea of women's place being in the home is ultimately, a Tokugawa invention. Japan might have been a patriarchal society, but before the Tokugawa it was not unusual for women to fight on the battlefield, especially daughters and widows of the noble class. Japanese polearms were in fact originally designed specifically for their use, and it was expected for them to take charge of home defense when their sons and husbands were away.

First of all, good TL @Asami.

Secondly, I can understand Japan up to a certain extent (as long as people know that homosexuals are born that way and that they can also raise orphans thus supporting society than this totally works; not at all ASB) but sodomy legalization is very different than LGBT rights. Italy has had it legal for longer than Britain, yet Britain today is more progressive on LGBT rights. Legality and societal tolerance are two very different things. I can see Berlin passing some positive reforms but 30's Bavaria? This does not work.

I would add that while Germany was not the most conservative of nations in Europe (that award goes to Russia), Germany realistically will not be this progressive on LGBT rights. If you are saying that Germany will have intellectual institutions and societies that will champion LGBT rights, I see that. Honestly though I see France as more of that, but Germany works as well. But I really don't see political figures like Konrad Adenauer and Ludwig Erhard supporting such ventures.

Just wanted to share my thoughts. But again, keep up the good work.

More yaoi and yuri manga series to open to early 1930s and rest of the world shall tremble as these comics invade foreign shores and enraged alt-right fascist groups to end.:evilsmile::p:openedeyewink:;)

Fujoshis and Fudanshis versus the Roman Catholic Church in Germany?!?! (Don't forget the EKD!)

05_10_erhard_adenauer.jpg

(Berlin office of the German Conservative Front, 1955. The issue discussed was how to confront the growing popularity of yaoi and yuri in German society.)

P.S. I could totally see Bavaria demanding independence. Bavaria, already with its strong regional identity, (very much centered upon its conservative catholic values and traditions) would see this drastic change in German society and politics as infringement on their autonomy. @Asami, you have on your hands the perfect conditions for Bavarian independence.

Perhaps Ludwig Erhard as Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Bavaria?

Last edited:
Bear in mind, though, this is Japan.

Agree, but it doesn't work with Germany.

I don't think gay marriage was legalized in Germany until 2017. They aren't the most progressive society, nor conservative. Rather centrist overall.

And remember, any Christian country (even Scandinavian nations) at that time (and before) especially would be hostile towards promoting LGBT rights. In general Abrahamic faiths. And nations with Dharmic faiths that are highly influenced by the west (and perhaps Islam but that did not occur) would join this fold. But Japan here it does make some sense so that's not an issue at all imo.

Last edited:
Don't get your hopes up, I just felt a sudden urge to write something wholesome. We'll see what goes on. I'm thinking more along the lines of focusing on rewriting than doing a straight update.

Still, it's better than nothing. It's good to see this TL updated after so long.

Agree, but it doesn't work with Germany.

I don't think gay marriage was legalized in Germany until 2017. They aren't the most progressive society, nor conservative. Rather centrist overall.

True, though then again Weimar Germany was insanely progressive. They had an institute where the first research was done into trans issues, plus early MTF surgery - before Hitler, of course.

And remember, any Christian country (even Scandinavian nations) at that time (and before) especially would be hostile towards promoting LGBT rights. In general Abrahamic faiths. And nations with Dharmic faiths that are highly influenced by the west (and perhaps Islam but that did not occur) would join this fold.

Scandinavian ones...depends on the rights. In terms of just making it legal, Denmark did so shortly before the war and Sweden did shortly after the war. Beyond that, you’re probably right. And I’d agree with other Western nations, though they could sometimes be a bit schizophrenic about it.

On that subject, I read somewhere once - struggling to remember where - that in Britain there was an observation that ‘situational lesbianism’ was on the rise owing to the shortage of men, and the general feelg among many in power was ‘well, it’s keeping them busy’. This doesn’t prove anything btw, just an anecdote I remembered given the subject matter :p

But Japan here it does make some sense so that's not an issue at all imo.

Indeed.

Asami

Banned
I should note that Germany only decriminalized sodomy. Which they did despite quite a bit of backlash from conservatives. Gays still can’t marry, and there are many in parts of Germany who don’t agree in the slightest.

Almost certainly they’re one of the parts of Germany that doesn’t agree.

I could make a joke about their apparent disapproval seeming odd coming from the region where traditional dress for men involves leather trousers, but I won’t :p
As a bavarian myself, I'd like to add that the traditional attitude towards homosexuality is wierd. And may very much vary from town to town. And of course, if you are gay and bavarian, you are infinitly better than if you were hetero and prussian.

True, though then again Weimar Germany was insanely progressive. They had an institute where the first research was done into trans issues, plus early MTF surgery - before Hitler, of course.

Depends on what you call progressive. There was a time when Eugenics was considered progressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.