• Shogunate (barely)

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Empire (barely)

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Battle of Toba-Fushimi (Part 2)
Battle of Toba-Fushimi, 1868, Part 2:

Takamori's men discovered Isami's army, preparing a charge. The gunpowder was being prepared, swords being cleansed, and arrows prepared. One samurai noticed an "obsessive complexion" upon Takamori's face, his brow heavier than usual. When Isami's contingent was finally in the precise spot Takamori wanted them, he signaled to his men, and shouted, "For the Emperor!". A blur of charging Imperial samurai smashed through the opening ranks of the Shogunate's necessary reinforcements, and ultimate carnage ensued.

TobaFushimiBattle2.jpg

(A picture of the Carnage, 1868)

The surprise attack left many of Isami's army off guard, but not those from Aizu, even more surprising to the Imperial soldiers than the charge succeeding so swimmingly itself was the fortitude of so many of the Shogunal troops. In fact, one samurai notes, "The Shogunal troops, after the initial daze, commanded the battlefield as the battle went along". It would have been a heroic victory for Isami if it were not for one uncounted factor, the Tosa clan's decisive diplomatic role in the game. Satsuma and Choshu may have had more soldiers on the ground, yet the Tosa clan's diplomatic skills brought Tsu Domain, under the rule of Daimyo Todo Takayuki, into the Imperial fold. Soon, Tsu retainers went charging at the Shogunal army from behind. The morale scales virtually flipped, and Isami and his men were forced to commit to a tactical retreat. With Toyogobashi Bridge secured and Isami's men retreating to Osaka and it's eastern villages, the battle of Toba-Fushimi was declared a decisive success for the Imperial cause. However, the war was far from won, and the Shogunate far from broken.

This is looking good.

While you can tell I support the Imperials and the Emperor, I have a small soft place for the Shogunate so I would not mind them having a much better chance of winning/holding out longer.

As far as I can tell, things are mostly OTL, but slowly changing.

The emperor shall be dragged dead out of Kyoto, the Shogunate will preserve Japan.

Only after have corpse has been rescued by Shogunate troops who were 'just a moment too late' to rescue him from being assassinated by those wicked advisers who sought to use the man as a puppet. After all, the Son of the Emperor's protector would NEVER dream of seeing him harmed... which includes protecting him from his own weakness.

In any event, the Shogunate IS going to have to come out better than OTL if the war really is going to be bloodier and longer than our own. I imagine this might eventually include being better able to pick up the Traditionalist banner as the Imperial's use of Western advisers and technology cause them to look a little... hypocritical.

Last edited:
I used to play Regular Shogun 2. This game good?
Yes, though I feel Imperial factions benefit better from the transition to modern weapons than Shogunate factions do. And then there's the ridiculous handicap that come with the Republicanism route (WHERE ARE MY METSUKE, DAMN YOU!). :3

If you ever played Empire Total War or Napoleon Total War, the combat should be familiar to you, until you bring in Uncle Sam's gift to the world.

Gatling_gun.jpg

Yes, though I feel Imperial factions benefit better from the transition to modern weapons than Shogunate factions do. And then there's the ridiculous handicap that come with the Republicanism route (WHERE ARE MY METSUKE, DAMN YOU!). :3

If you ever played Empire Total War or Napoleon Total War, the combat should be familiar to you, until you bring in Uncle Sam's gift to the world.

Gatling_gun.jpg
Whatever happens, we have got

a gattling gun, and they have not.