东方红 (The East is Red)

olw1g6.jpg

"What would you have us do? Shoot them?"

Something tells me that many white Americans in this TL would quickly say yes. :eek:

The insanity is real! :D

Another Micro Update:

November 6th, 1964: Outgoing President Strom Thurmond orders the FBI to investigate former Presidential candidate Jesse Helms, due to rumored irregularities in Helms' fundraising practices.

Chances are that President Sanford is going to go after Helms anyway, since the two men despised one another.

Congress is looking strange. The conservative ticket had been split between Jesse Helms and Lurleen Wallace but the new Congress and Senate has some very, very crazy people. James E. Kimbrough's plan might have backfired somewhat since the Capitol Police shooters targeted only conservative Congressmen and Senators. By and large, they have been replaced with angrier, even more conservative people. Liberals still have a majority though but it's slim and not going to get better in the next election.

The New York Times dubs these new legislators the "Know Nothings", a nod to the xenophobes of the 1850s.

One of these men, David Duke Sr. (1), a freshman Senator from Louisiana, claims that he will attempt to introduce legislation barring all immigration to the United States. He will also attempt to get a law passed which will forcefully deport Black people to Africa.

Mercifully, most people in the United States consider such a proposal to be generally horrifying. Still, the fact that Mr. Duke was elected is seen as somewhat of a stain on America's reputation internationally.

November 8th, 1964: PKI forces take Jakarta. This time, it's for good. The leaders of the pro-Soviet Murba Party are publicly executed. Meanwhile, the Islamist Masyumi party is forced to retreat to Bandung.

jMsXCwO.jpg

PKI forces prepare to execute a pro-Soviet fighter.

November 10th, 1964: Donald Trump arrives in South Africa. Luckily for him, he is able to bribe his way out of military service. He is provided a freehold somewhere outside of Cape Town.

In London, William Flashman, a descendant of famed British nobleman Sir Harry Flashman, contemplates moving to South Africa with his wife Janet and young daughters Penelope and Samantha. Although his siblings had spent the most of the family fortune on drugs and alimony, William had hidden the last few pounds under his mattress (literally). The money is barely enough to buy a few scraps of land in the Transvaal but it is what it is.

Nevermind that William believes there will soon be a warrant for his arrest due to...accounting irregularities at the insurance firm he works at.

November 18th, 1964: Australia establishes an immigrant processing station at RAAF Curtin, a small airbase outside of the isolated town of Derby, in Western Australia. From there, immigrants will be processed and allowed to move to more settled areas.

-----
(1): Because he has a son.

November 8th, 1964: PKI forces take Jakarta. This time, it's for good. The leaders of the pro-Soviet Murba Party are publicly executed. Meanwhile, the Islamist Masyumi party is forced to retreat to Bandung.

With this, I assume that TTL's Indonesia will be just like TTL's Korea; Communist but not at all aligned to the Soviet Union or China.

This reminds me, will the non-aligned movement exist in this world?

November 10th, 1964: Donald Trump arrives in South Africa. Luckily for him, he is able to bribe his way out of military service. He is provided a freehold somewhere outside of Cape Town.

I have to say, I'm especially wondering what will happen with regards to Trump and the other American settlers in South Africa. I have one question though; who sponsored this venture of American settlers in South Africa? I'm assuming that the South African government did, probably in an effort to increase its white population.

In London, William Flashman, a descendant of famed British nobleman Sir Harry Flashman, contemplates moving to South Africa with his wife Janet and young daughters Penelope and Samantha. Although his siblings had spent the most of the family fortune on drugs and alimony, William had hidden the last few pounds under his mattress (literally). The money is barely enough to buy a few scraps of land in the Transvaal but it is what it is.

Nevermind that William believes there will soon be a warrant for his arrest due to...accounting irregularities at the insurance firm he works at.

Interesting. :cool: What other ancestors of famous fictitious literary characters will make an appearance in this timeline?

With this, I assume that TTL's Indonesia will be just like TTL's Korea; Communist but not at all aligned to the Soviet Union or China.

This reminds me, will the non-aligned movement exist in this world?

I have to say, I'm especially wondering what will happen with regards to Trump and the other American settlers in South Africa. I have one question though; who sponsored this venture of American settlers in South Africa? I'm assuming that the South African government did, probably in an effort to increase its white population.

Interesting. :cool: What other ancestors of famous fictitious literary characters will make an appearance in this timeline?

I previously mentioned the South African government was providing freeholds to white people willing to provide military service to the South African government.

The non-aligned movement has yet to make an appearance. It'll show up eventually though.

As for other literary characters, well that's a secret.

Spoiler:

World University Rankings, c. 2010:

10.) Free University of Africa, Kinshasa-Brazzaville, The Republic of the Congo
9.) National University of Singapore, Xinshan, Republic of Singapore
8.) Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts
7.) Nankai University, Tianjin, China
6.) Cairo University, Cairo, United Arab Republic
5.) Stanford University, Stanford, California
4.) Yale University, New Haven Connecticut
3.) Bayt al-Hikma, the House of Wisdom, Baghdad, United Arab Republic
2.) Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
T1.) Peking University/Tsinghua University, Beijing, People's Republic of China

Oxford or Cambridge universities don't get a mention either.
I suspect that it may be due to a further marked downturn in British society...

Spoiler:

Can we PLEASE have a southern Chinese university on here? I swear, all the good ones are in the north. Beijing, Beijing, and Tianjin. (Tsinghua, Peking, and Nankai) Maybe Shanghai University? My mom's alma mater :D

And yay for the Congo and UAR!

Also, is the entrance exam the gaokao? Or do they have an older/different system?

Last edited:
Spoiler:

Glad to see the House of Wisdom and Free University of Africa on this list. :cool: In fact, I have to say, the UAR-wank and Congo-wank are both some of my favorite parts of this timeline. :D

Interesting how it looks like like Kinshasa and Brazzaville have become one city by 2010. I imagine said city being one of the biggest and most prosperous cities in Africa by 2010. Considering how the Congo has been going so far IITL, I wouldn't be surprised if that were indeed the case.

Oxford or Cambridge universities don't get a mention either.
I suspect that it may be due to a further marked downturn in British society...

Well, YLi did mention Irish and Maoist terrorists in Great Britain, so yeah.....

For the heck of it, I decided to make a list of Presidents and Vice Presidents of the USA thus far. If I made any mistakes anyone can just let me now.

Presidents of the United States of America

Harry S. Truman (Democratic) (1945-1953)
Joseph McCarthy (Republican) (1953-1954)
Richard Nixon (Republican) (1954-1957)

Strom Thurmond (Democratic) (1957-1965)
Terry Sanford (Democratic) (1965- )

Vice Presidents of the United States of America

Alben W. Barkley (Democratic) (1949-1953)
Richard Nixon (Republican) (1953-1954)
Vacancy (1954-1957)
John F. Kennedy (Democratic) (1957-1965)
Hubert Humphrey (Democratic) (1965- )

Glad to see the House of Wisdom and Free University of Africa on this list. :cool: In fact, I have to say, the UAR-wank and Congo-wank are both some of my favorite parts of this timeline. :D

Interesting how it looks like like Kinshasa and Brazzaville have become one city by 2010. I imagine said city being one of the biggest and most prosperous cities in Africa by 2010. Considering how the Congo has been going so far IITL, I wouldn't be surprised if that were indeed the case.

That's certainly nice, but it'd still be unique and fresh to see Peking or Tsinghua or Nankai taken down a peg. Not that it's likely...

Well, YLi did mention Irish and Maoist terrorists in Great Britain, so yeah.....

Yeah...